Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What are some differences between how a futurist and a preterist view the lake of fire, the second death, new earth, new heaven, book of life, etc? Share your thoughts.

Is it a good idea to form theology around the book of Revelation? Why or why not?

Why does the Orthodox Church not read Revelation in its liturgy?

Are there still churches that do not include it in their canon?

Last edited:

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are some differences between how a futurist and a preterist view the lake of fire, second death, new earth, new heaven, book of life etc. Share your thoughts.
For starters, to be Biblically correct those views must be in agreement with NT apostolic teaching.
Is it a good idea to form theology around the book of Revelation? Why or why not?
Revelation is prophecy, which is given in riddles (dark sayings), as God told Miriam in his defense of Moses; i.e., that he spoke to Moses clearly and face-to-face, not in dark sayings (riddles) and in visions and dreams as he did the other prophets (Numbers 12:8).
Therefore, unfulfilled prophecy is subject to more than one interpretation.
The only rule being that it cannot be correct if it is not in agreement with NT teaching, for God does not contradict himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Revelation 22:
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

• Informative
Reactions: wendykvw
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What are some differences between how a futurist and a preterist view the lake of fire, the second death, new earth, new heaven, book of life, etc? Share your thoughts.

I am a preterist. At least to the extent that the events of the Revelation can be identified as happening. The others -lake of fire, second death, etc.- I don't know about.

The Orthodox Church does not read the Revelation liturgically because it has always been a disputed book. It has a long history and was barely included in the Canon. One of the reasons is its mention of the millennium. The millennium has not been a part of Christianity since before the Canon was decided.

And no, it is not a good idea to base theology on it.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nice question...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The biggest difference starts with the date of when Revelation was written, maybe even who wrote it.
One thing I do know is, it is a book that only a certain group of readers can fully understand and they are long gone.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The biggest difference starts with the date of when Revelation was written, maybe even who wrote it.
One thing I do know is, it is a book that
only a certain group of readers can fully understand and they are long gone.
Blessings
Do you think John understood all of it?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean no one in modern times understands it ???
Yes exactly. Not Fully understand. It was written to the seven churches not to us. It was to take place shortly and not thousands of years later and still counting.
Revelation takes the outside reader on a journey from Adam to Christ through the lens of the Jew. We should respect that. But we dont unfortunately. There is so much interjected into the text from past generations, that it has lost it's TRUE meaning. Revelation, its beauty and truth, has been truly abused.
Blessings

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I worked with a Seventh Day Adventist crew one year. I went to their Saturday services. They were interested in the Book of Daniel and the Book of Revelation in order to try to determine what is going to happen. I could not predict the future by reading Revelation.

I like the Gospel of John better. It is nothing like Revelation. Jesus is described as the lamb of God in John’s Gospel.

• Friendly
Upvote 0