Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
This looks like a good place to start a discussion on a subject that is often ignored. Mostly people focus on the scientific problems of creationism and, rightly, point out that it is very bad science.

What gets lost are the theological and belief problems of creationism. What we are going to discuss in this thread are the failings of creationism as Christianity. And, also, the danger creationism poses to Christianity.

I'm going to start off with a quote from Francis Bacon over 400 years ago and comments from statements made by creationists during the 1982 McClean vs Arkansas trial. The conclusion from both is the same: creationism is heresy.

"For nothing is so mischievous as the apotheosis of error; and it is a very plague of the understanding for vanity to become the object of veneration. Yet in this vanity some of the moderns have with extreme levity indulged so far as to attempt to found a system of natural philosophy [science] on the first chapter of Genesis, on the book of Job, and other parts of the sacred writings, seeking for the dead among the living; which also makes the inhibition and repression of it the more important, because from this unwholesome mixture of things human and divine there arises not only a fantastic philosophy [science] but also a heretical religion. Very meet it is therefore that we be sober-minded, and give to faith that only which is faith's." Francis Bacon. Novum Organum LXV, 1620 http://www.constitution.org/bacon/nov_org.htm

"In the final issue I would like to address the question of out-and-out heresy, potentially the destruction of the whole Christian enterprise through the ham-handed activities of well-intentioned but historically and theologically illiterate Christians. In the "Findings of Fact" filed by the Defendants in the Arkansas Case prior to adjudication, a truly deplorable statement was asserted in paragraph 35: 'Creation-science does presuppose the existence of a creator, to the same degree that evolutin-science presupposes the existence of no creator. As used in the context of creation-science, as defined by 54(a) [sic]of Act 590, the terms or concepts of "creation" and "creator" are not inherently religious terms or concepts. In this sense, the term "creator" means only some entity with power, intelligence, and a sense of design. Creation-science does not require a creator who has a personality, who has the attributes of love, compassion, justice, etc., which are ordinarily attributed to a deity. Indeed, the creation-science model does not require that the creator still be in existence."
It would be hard to set emotional priorities, from bitter sorrow to deep anger, which this wretched formulation and its obvious and cynical compromise with mammon should evoke in any sensitive theological soul. Let us say nothing about the hypocrisy of good people who have obviously convinced themselves that a good cause can be supported by any mendacious and specious means whatsoever. The passage is perverse, however, not only because it says things that are untrue, namely that creationism presupposes a creator whereas evolutionism necessarily does not, and not only because 'creation' and 'creator' are proffered speciously secular, nonreligious definitions.
The worst thing about these unthinking and unhistorical formulations is what Langdon Gilkey pointed out at the Arkansas trial in December of 1981. The concept of a creator God distinct from the God of love and mercy is a reopening of the way to the Marcionist and Gnostic heresies, among the deadliest ever to afflict Christianity. That those who make such formulations do not seriously intend them save as a debating ploy does not mitigate their essential malevolence." Bruce Vawter, "Creationism: creative misuse of the Bible" in Is God a Creationist? Ed. by Roland Frye, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1983 pp 81-82.

I disagree with Vawter only in that I think that creationists do seriously intend these statements. They make them too consistently for them to be only a debating ploy.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree with Vawter only in that I think that creationists do seriously intend these statements. They make them too consistently for them to be only a debating ploy.
Here's my take on the Creation:

Genesis 1 pwns evolution --- Genesis 1:1 pwns atheism.

There are no "scientific problems" associated with the Creation as, according to Genesis 1:1, which came first: science or heaven?

In addition, what science produced the angels?

I have a thread covering this very topic here: 1 .

Upvote 0

champuru

I don't know what I want to put here. Suggestions?
Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's my take on the Creation:

Genesis 1 pwns evolution
And Psalm 104:5 pwns heliocentric models :thumbsup:
There are no "scientific problems" associated with the Creation as, according to Genesis 1:1, which came first: science or heaven?
What does that even mean? If one thing comes before another the second thing cannot be accurate?
In addition, what science produced the angels?
Angels are not natural beings like animals. :angel:

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's exactly this kind of possibility that John Henry Newman foresaw in the 1850's when Paleyism was in vogue.
Gentlemen, let me press this point upon your earnest attention. I say Physical Theology cannot, from the nature of the case, tell us one word about Christianity proper; it cannot be Christian, in any true sense, at all:—and from this plain reason, because it is derived from informations which existed just as they are now, before man was created, and Adam fell. How can that be a real substantive Theology, though it takes the name, which is but an abstraction, a particular aspect of the whole truth, and is dumb almost as regards the moral attributes of the Creator, and utterly so as regards the evangelical?

Nay, more than this; I do not hesitate to say that, taking men as they are, this so-called science tends, if it occupies the mind, to dispose it against Christianity. And for this plain reason, because it speaks only of laws; and cannot contemplate their suspension, that is, miracles, which are of the essence of the idea of a Revelation. Thus, the God of Physical Theology may very easily become a mere idol; for He comes to the inductive mind in the medium of fixed appointments, so excellent, so skilful, so beneficent, that, when it has for a long time gazed upon them, it will think them too beautiful to be broken, and will at length so contract its notion of Him as to conclude that He never could have the heart (if I may dare use such a term) to undo or mar His own work; and this conclusion will be the first step towards its degrading its idea of God a second time, and identifying Him with His works. Indeed, a Being of Power, Wisdom, and Goodness, and nothing else, is not very different from the God of the Pantheist.
http://www.newmanreader.org/works/idea/article7.html

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Man, being the servant and interpreter of Nature, can do and understand so much and so much only as he has observed in fact or in thought of the course of nature. Beyond this he neither knows anything nor can do anything. (THE NEW ORGANON
OR TRUE DIRECTIONS CONCERNING THE INTERPRETATION OF NATURE Francis Bacon 1620)

Darwinian Evolution is a logic which is applicable to all life forms and all biosystems that may exist in the universe, even the ones we have not discovered. (7.012: Introduction to Biology, Fall 2004)​

Creationism has rejected the false assumption of universal common descent not evolution as it's properly defined scientifically.

I have addressed TE theological points and found them to be deeply fallacious and counter to the Pauline doctrine regarding original sin and I did extensive expositions of the requisite texts. Like I told shernen:

"I had studied the New Testament as history ten years before I had even heard of Creationism. At first it was about as important to me as whether or not Adam had a belly button but what drew me to the whole subject was the intensity with which evolutionists attack Creationism. If Liberal Theistic Evolution dovetails so nicely with an Evangelical and Fundamentalist understanding of the Gospel then why are Creationists constantly hounded by them? It's because the Pauline doctrine of original sin is directly tied to justification by faith. That is what is missing, a figurative Adam gives us no reason for sin which in turn gives us no need for justification. Then after they dismiss original sin and the Fall of Adam and Eve as mythology they want to be embraced as Christian. Pardon me if I'm a little stand offish and skeptical of their motives.

So why do Christian fundamentalists and evangelicals prefer Creationism to Darwinism? The fact of the matter is that evolution as natural history, particularly with regards to human origins, is a myth. The mythographers of the modern world follow the tradition of Darwin who traced lineage as far as genus and then projected it all the way to our primordial past. Then there was Louis Leaky who read a children's books at an early age called, 'Days before History', about Tigi. Tigi meets a spear maker, learns how to make fire and hunts Mammoths. According to his sister Julia, "he lived that book, it became his Bible really" (Source: Ancestral Passions by Virginia Morell).

I would no more accept Darwinian evolution as Christian then I would gnosticism."

Accepting human evolution is not a rejection of orthodoxy

I've refuted these arguments so many times it seems pointless to pursue it any further. TE is devoid of traditional Christian theism and instead embraced naturalistic assumptions and attributing to nature was should be attributed to God.

1. If any one does not confess that the first man, Adam, when he had transgressed the commandment of God in Paradise, immediately lost the holiness and justice wherein he had been constituted; and that he incurred, through the offence of that prevarication, the wrath and indignation of God, and consequently death, with which God had previously threatened him, and, together with death, captivity under his power who thenceforth had the empire of death, that is to say, the devil, and that the entire Adam, through that offence of prevarication, was changed, in body and soul, for the worse; let him be anathema. (The Council of Trent. The Fifth Session)​

I agree.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
... and he wonders why he's hounded by theistic evolutionists.

For someone to whom further pursuit "seems pointless" you do have a lot to say, don't you, mark? ;)

=========

I think a main problem with creationism (and a lot of contemporary popular evangelicalism in general) is the way that verses tend to be quoted out of context. A personal favorite is when creationists use Mark 10:6 as support for creationism. It is so easy for them to ignore the basic point that Jesus was making:

"Moses didn't give you divorce procedures to tell you how to perform a divorce, he gave you divorce procedures because you were hard-hearted enough to contemplate it!"

That's about as non-literal a reading of the Torah as you can get, and from no less than the Son of God Himself!

But the most distressing misuse of Scripture from creationists comes from, surprise surprise, Romans 5:12. I've spent my time studying it and I'm always surprised to see how badly creationists twist this passage of Scripture to fit their own needs. For example, here's an otherwise wonderful devotional from AiG. (See, TEs have good things to say about creationists too. ;) )
Genesis 3 records how the first Adam sinned against God, and Romans 5 reminds us that the punishment he brought upon the entire human race was death, since we are all descendants of Adam (Romans 5:12).
No, that's not what Romans 5:12 actually says!
Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned--
[Rom 5:12 ESV]
Does it say "death spread to all men because they were all descended from Adam"? If that was what Paul meant you'd think he could have said it.

Anyhow, the article contradicts itself in its final paragraph:
Our eternal destinies depend on whether we are united to the first or Last Adam. “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22, NASB). Have you by faith renounced the disobedience of the old Adam and embraced the forgiveness of sin made possible by the new Adam, Jesus Christ?
But wait. I am united to the first Adam purely by descent, right? Just by inheriting his DNA, I have inherited his eternal destiny. If that were the case, how could being in Christ, glorious as it is, change my being in Adam? Does becoming a Christian rewrite the past and change my biological ancestry?

Suppose that the moment I became a Christian, I turned to my father and said, "Dad, I'm no longer your biological son." How absurd that would be! However, creationist theology effectively demands that the moment we become Christian, we are able to turn back to Adam and say, "Adam, I'm no longer your biological descendant" - for no other channel for the passing of sin other than biological descent is ever postulated. Just as absurd.

After all, what does it matter that my grandfather was a sinner? Suppose I told a court that "Since my grandfather was a gangster, and I am descended from him, therefore I am one too!" Surely that mode of causation would be laughed out. If I instead blamed my current sins on my great-grandfather being a gangster, that would be even sillier; if I blamed my sins on my great-great-grandfather, the link would be even more tenuous. And yet creationists would expect to explain the sins of the world in terms of biological descent not from a grandfather or a great-grandfather, but in terms of an ancestor living even farther back - thousands of years ago - with a connection a million times more tenuous than any the human mind can imagine.

And yet. Perhaps my (counterfactual) being a gangster was caused by my grandfather's (also counterfactual) being a gangster. My grandfather expected my father to join the gang, and my father expected me to join the gang. There were no "gangster genes"; it had nothing to do with descent (my father has plenty of lackeys who have no blood connection with him); and yet in some sense I am "in my grandfather" as a gangster, such that he is in some way responsible for my sin (as I, personally, also am to some degree - without necessarily being able to escape my preordained career path).

In the same way, as Adam was the first sinner, all sinners that come thereafter come in him, their sins flowing like a great river of damnation of which he is the head. His sin was the precursor of all of ours, quite aside from whether we were descended from him or not (in the same way that a mafia boss's sinful intentions are the precursor of his lackeys' actual sins, quite aside from whether they are his sons or his hired guns).

That is a far more logical, acceptable, and Biblical theory of original sin. The catch is: if original sin has nothing to do with biological descent, and evolution is a theory about nothing but biological descent, then accepting evolution has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting original sin, and creationism doesn't have half a leg to stand on anymore when saying evolutionism is un-Biblical.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A personal favorite is when creationists use Mark 10:6 as support for creationism. It is so easy for them to ignore the basic point that Jesus was making:

"Moses didn't give you divorce procedures to tell you how to perform a divorce, he gave you divorce procedures because you were hard-hearted enough to contemplate it!"

That's about as non-literal a reading of the Torah as you can get, and from no less than the Son of God Himself!
What difference does that make, Shernren?

Okay, so He mentioned the Creation as a secondary point --- what about it?

If I say I've lived at 123 Main Street since college, does that mean I didn't go to college?

Mark 10:6 said:
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
Notice, He says the Creation --- not their Creation.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
What difference does that make, Shernren?

Okay, so He mentioned the Creation as a secondary point --- what about it?

If I say I've lived at 123 Main Street since college, does that mean I didn't go to college?

The point is that the general point of the passage (that Jesus all but abrogated the Torah rulings on divorce) clashes painfully with the limited point that Creationists would twist two words out of the passage to prove.

Watching creationists doing that reminds me of when people take a prosleptic insult wrongly. Imagine a political commentator listen to a speech:
"I will not stoop to mentioning the occasion last winter when our esteemed opponent was found asleep in an alleyway with an empty bottle of vodka still pressed to his lips."
and then telling people, "Candidate X is a nice guy. He refused to exploit his opponent's moment of moral weakness!"

Creationists often end up doing similarly silly things to the Bible.

Upvote 0

champuru

Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, glory-be!

Looks like God did some creating outside of the realm of science, eh?

Well God himself is outside the realm of science. So are angels, heaven, satan, etc. since those are spiritual and not natural things. I don't know any theistic evolutionists who would argue otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The point is that the general point of the passage (that Jesus all but abrogated the Torah rulings on divorce) clashes painfully with the limited point that Creationists would twist two words out of the passage to prove.

Creationists often end up doing similarly silly things to the Bible.

This is the kind of inflammatory rhetoric that ruins these discussions. In an argument utterly devoid of theological specifics he pontificates a minor point exaggerating it has a major flaw. Genesis was understood then and is generally understood now to be the very beginning.

There are 53 occurrences when ray-sheeth' (H7225 ראשׁית rê'shîyth) is translated beginning which is a clear referance to the absolute first beginning with regards to time. Another term used in the absolute sense is baw-raw' (H1254 בּרא bârâ') and it means creation ex nihilo which means out of nothing and always in referance to God and mostly found in Genesis and Isaiah:

created, 33 Gen:1:1, Gen:1:21, Gen:1:27 (3), Gen:2:3-4 (2), Gen:5:1-2 (3), Gen:6:7, Deu:4:32, Psa:89:12, Psa:102:18, Psa:104:30, Psa:148:5, Isa:40:26, Isa:41:20, Isa:42:5, Isa:43:1, Isa:45:7-8 (2), Isa:45:12, Isa:45:18 (2), Isa:48:7, Isa:54:16 (2), Jer:31:22, Eze:21:30, Eze:28:13, Eze:28:15, Mal:2:10 (Strong's Exhaustive Concordance)

Could anyone be dense enough to think the Christ and Paul did not think Adam was the first man? It doesn't make any sense, alternative interpretations did not exist until 150 years ago:

The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; aand as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. (1Cor 15:47,48)​

Now the argument could be made that the Bible is unclear as to the evolution of whales but the clear testimony of the creation of man is crystal clear. To say that the special creation of Adam is understated in the New Testament as a doctrinal issue is fair to say but to say it does not exist is to twist the Scriptures.

Creationism as a doctrinal issue has been established as ultimately based on the Bible, thus Biblical Creationism. The Supreme Court can reject Biblical Creationism and Intelligent Design because they are religiously oriented but when it comes to doctrinal issue TEs don't have a leg to stand on.

New Testament doctrines and the creation basis

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry mark but concordance raiding helps you not one bit.

There are 53 occurrences when ray-sheeth' (H7225 ראשׁית rê'shîyth) is translated beginning which is a clear referance to the absolute first beginning with regards to time.

Oh yes, the reference to the absolute first beginning with regards to time is impeccably obvious:

The beginning [H7225] of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
[Gen 10:10 ESV]

... so Nimrod founded a city on the first day of creation? No wonder God had all that chaos to wade through.

Another term used in the absolute sense is baw-raw' (H1254 בּרא bârâ') and it means creation ex nihilo which means out of nothing and always in referance to God and mostly found in Genesis and Isaiah:

created, 33 Gen:1:1, Gen:1:21, Gen:1:27 (3), Gen:2:3-4 (2), Gen:5:1-2 (3), Gen:6:7, Deu:4:32, Psa:89:12, Psa:102:18, Psa:104:30, Psa:148:5, Isa:40:26, Isa:41:20, Isa:42:5, Isa:43:1, Isa:45:7-8 (2), Isa:45:12, Isa:45:18 (2), Isa:48:7, Isa:54:16 (2), Jer:31:22, Eze:21:30, Eze:28:13, Eze:28:15, Mal:2:10 (Strong's Exhaustive Concordance)

Yes, again another flawless use of the Hebrew language.
But now thus says the LORD, he who created [H1254] you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
[Isa 43:1 ESV]
That's right, Jacob was created ex nihilo. Isaac and Rebekah obviously didn't have anything to do with it, especially with regards to carnal relations.

Mark, do you ever check the things you copy and paste?

Could anyone be dense enough to think the Christ and Paul did not think Adam was the first man? It doesn't make any sense, alternative interpretations did not exist until 150 years ago:
 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. (1Cor 15:47,48)​

Hmm. *prods self* I know I'm dense enough to displace significant amounts of water when I jump into a swimming pool. Dense enough to deny a controversial and by no means scriptural theological statement? I'm not sure what density has to do with it at all.

That Christ and Paul thought Adam was the first man I see little reason to doubt. They also thought that the sun went around the earth, that slavery is an acceptable social institution, that women being vocal in church is a clear potential source of disunity (at least Paul thinks so), and had little if any knowledge of aardvarks, atoms, the Americas, or arbitrage.

It is one thing to believe that Scripture is infallibly inspired. It is quite another to believe that the inspiration of the writers of Scripture casts a mantle of naive inerrancy over all things its authors must surely have believed for lack of reasonable alternatives.

Remember that the very Tridentine counsel you so glibly quote equally endorses the reasoning that since the Church Fathers are unanimous about geocentrism, it must be a matter of faith and doctrine. But there are none so blind as those who wish not to see.

Now the argument could be made that the Bible is unclear as to the evolution of whales but the clear testimony of the creation of man is crystal clear. To say that the special creation of Adam is understated in the New Testament as a doctrinal issue is fair to say but to say it does not exist is to twist the Scriptures.

Ahh, you finally admit that the creation of Adam is "understated". Now you have to explain why?

Abraham as the father of faith is referred to far more times than Adam as the father or first-bearer of sin. Why the curious omission? It cannot be due to familiarity; the NT readers must surely have been most familiar with the story of Abraham. And it certainly cannot be due to the unimportance of sin, if such a thought could even be countenanced!

Is it perhaps that - contrary to the creationist mantra - sin is quite explicable without literal reference to the Adam story?

Creationism as a doctrinal issue has been established as ultimately based on the Bible, thus Biblical Creationism. The Supreme Court can reject Biblical Creationism and Intelligent Design because they are religiously oriented but when it comes to doctrinal issue TEs don't have a leg to stand on.

New Testament doctrines and the creation basis

What doctrinal issues?

The only formulation of original sin which has any strict relation to biological descent is the realist view, which you certainly don't hold to, if you are even aware of it. The federalist conception of original sin requires no biological connection - Adam's federal headship is coincident, not causally related, to his supposed status as the biological ancestor of the human race.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The biggest theological problem with modern (neo-) creationism, as I see it, is the insistence on scientific concordism -- that is, the presupposition that the trustworthiness of the Bible rises or falls based on how well it aligns with science. That science is the final arbiter of the Bible's veracity. Neocreationists are quick to disavow the shared agreement between evolutionary creationists and atheistic evolutionists on the subject of evolution, as though our agreement on a simple scientific theory (like gravity) somehow unites us morally. But I think there is an even deeper connection between neocreationists and the atheists they disavow in the sense that both groups share the same fundamental belief that science is the final arbiter of truth (i.e., scientism), and that the trustworthiness of the Bible hinges upon how well it holds up to scientific scrutiny (scientific concordism). This philosophy is aptly demonstrated by the numerous "creation science" ministries out there today, all vying to prove the Bible right with their own reworked versions of science.
I think we'd all be a lot better off in recognizing the accommodating nature of God's inspiration, "comparing spiritual things with spiritual" (1 Cor 2:13), not science. By bowing to scientism, we let the atheists win.

Upvote 0

champuru

Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The biggest theological problem with modern (neo-) creationism, as I see it, is the insistence on scientific concordism -- that is, the presupposition that the trustworthiness of the Bible rises or falls based on how well it aligns with science. That science is the final arbiter of the Bible's veracity. Neocreationists are quick to disavow the shared agreement between evolutionary creationists and atheistic evolutionists on the subject of evolution, as though our agreement on a simple scientific theory (like gravity) somehow unites us morally. But I think there is an even deeper connection between neocreationists and the atheists they disavow in the sense that both groups share the same fundamental belief that science is the final arbiter of truth (i.e., scientism), and that the trustworthiness of the Bible hinges upon how well it holds up to scientific scrutiny (scientific concordism). This philosophy is aptly demonstrated by the numerous "creation science" ministries out there today, all vying to prove the Bible right with their own reworked versions of science.
I think we'd all be a lot better off in recognizing the accommodating nature of God's inspiration, "comparing spiritual things with spiritual" (1 Cor 2:13), not science. By bowing to scientism, we let the atheists win.

Excellent post! I agree 100% with everything you said! :thumbsup:

I have heard many times from creationists that if evolution was to somehow be proven true (well it has but not to them) they would no longer believe in the bible. So many have said that if one word of the bible is shown to not be (literally) true, then our whole religion is just a waste of time. What a blasphemous statement! :doh:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent post! I agree 100% with everything you said! :thumbsup:

I have heard many times from creationists that if evolution was to somehow be proven true (well it has but not to them) they would no longer believe in the bible. So many have said that if one word of the bible is shown to not be (literally) true, then our whole religion is just a waste of time. What a blasphemous statement! :doh:
Where did the angels come from, Champuru?

1. Creatio ex nihilo
  2. Creatio ex materia
  3. Evolution
  4. Other
  5. Don't know

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

champuru

Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where did the angels come from, Champuru?

1. Creatio ex nihilo
  2. Creatio ex materia
  3. Evolution
  4. Other
  5. Don't know

partum per deus. i just don't know exactly how.

what does it have to do with my statement anyway?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
what does it have to do with my statement anyway?
You have no idea how angels originated, yet you think theistic evolution is what is going to pwn YECs?

Or am I reading you wrong? (And I apologize if I am.)

I say life in the universe originated ex nihilo, and that the Bible bears that out.

Will you be willing to admit that if that is so, then evolution falls like a deck of cards?

Or does your TE-pwns-YEC philosophy just go one way?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The theory of evolutionary common descent doesn't even address the origin of biological life, AV1611VET, let alone the origin of supernatural angels. Your argument is a red herring.
Yes, I know that --- that's abiogenesis --- but evolution doesn't apply to angels, does it?

And if I can get someone here to step up to the plate and admit that angels were created ex nihilo, maybe that's taking a lot bigger step to getting them to admit that God created life on this earth the same way.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I know that --- that's abiogenesis --- but evolution doesn't apply to angels, does it?

And if I can get someone here to step up to the plate and admit that angels were created ex nihilo, maybe that's taking a lot bigger step to getting them to admit that God created life on this earth the same way.
I'm willing to admit that God created angels ex nihilo. Then again, we have no empirical means of addressing such a question. So what's your point? Just because God can create ex nihilo (something every evolutionary creationist is willing to admit), doesn't mean he did create everything in this way.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.