Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I said, the verse says.

Jesus didn't mumble, your refuting Scripture without anything to back it up but what you personally believe.
I dont understand your disagreement. I am giving you scripture. Im referring to the scripture you posted. Those signs mentioned in your re are actually signs of an apostle that Paul referred to in his writings (2 Corinthians 12:12), they are not gifts of the spirit but signs. Have you ever heard of the gift of drinking poison? Did Paul teach us about that one in his list of gifts?? No.

Mark 16:17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I dont understand your disagreement. I am giving you scripture. Im referring to the scripture you posted. Those signs mentioned in your re are actually signs of an apostle that Paul referred to in his writings (2 Corinthians 12:12), they are not gifts of the spirit but signs. Have you ever heard of the gift of drinking poison? Did Paul teach us about that one in his list of gifts?? No.

Mark 16:17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison

To make it as simple as possible.

I couldn't care less what Paul said about gifts.

What I am saying is, Jesus said.

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

THEM that believe is not a stipulation for Apostles only, that an Anyone,
Everyone, it even includes you, do you not Believe?...Then ergo, it applies to you also, and I am sure you are not an Apostle.

Your reading something that the verses clearly does not say and basing that belief on what Paul said in another verse, then extrapolating it back to this one, that is called a contradiction.

Does the Scripture contradict itself?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I couldn't care less what Paul said about gifts.

Your reading something that the verses clearly does not say and basing that belief on what Paul said in another verse, then extrapolating it back to this one, that is called a contradiction.

Does the Scripture contradict itself?
You dont care what Paul said about gifts but then ask me about scripture contradictions? Have you ever heard about the gift of drinking poison? No but i bet you heard about signs of an apostle, at least you should have if you want to properly divide the word.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You dont care what Paul said about gifts but then ask me about scripture contradictions? Have you ever heard about the gift of drinking poison? No but i bet you heard about signs of an apostle, at least you should have if you want to properly divide the word.

Your not reading what I say, your reading things into what I say and coming up with a misunderstanding.

It's not worth arguing over.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Well I have cast out devils (and not boasting) and Iam no apostle. I live in a society with full-blown witchcraft, sorcery etc. I have been in prayer meetings where demons manifest through people to distract and we simply worshipped or spoke the Word of God and they fled. Jesus gave us power and authority to trample upon snakes and scorpions. He reminded us not to rejoice because we cast out devils but because our names are written in the Book of life.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I agree on everything you said, except about the signs. (Mark 16:17) I believe those signs were just for apostles[/QUOT

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I have cast out devils (and not boasting) and Iam no apostle. I live in a society with full-blown witchcraft, sorcery etc. I have been in prayer meetings where demons manifest through people to distract and we simply worshipped or spoke the Word of God and they fled. Jesus gave us power and authority to trample upon snakes and scorpions. He reminded us not to rejoice because we cast out devils but because our names are written in the Book of life.
Ok, thanks for the re.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well I have cast out devils (and not boasting) and Iam no apostle. I live in a society with full-blown witchcraft, sorcery etc. I have been in prayer meetings where demons manifest through people to distract and we simply worshipped or spoke the Word of God and they fled. Jesus gave us power and authority to trample upon snakes and scorpions. He reminded us not to rejoice because we cast out devils but because our names are written in the Book of life.

Thank you very much, I remember reading this post. :oldthumbsup: :clap: :bow:

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What did Jesus say?
He said "these are the SIGNS that will accompany those that believe".

Notice He said signs. Later the apostle Paul teaches us about signs of an apostle. We use scripture to teach scripture here. Its pretty easy to come to the conclusion that Jesus was referring to the signs of an apostle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He said "these are the SIGNS that will accompany those that believe".

Notice He said signs. Later the apostle Paul teaches us about signs of an apostle. We use scripture to teach scripture here. Its pretty easy to come to the conclusion that Jesus was referring to the signs of an apostle.

When I read, if it doesn't say it, I don't assume it says something which it clearly does not.

Look at the context.

Mark 16:14-20
14) Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Jesus speaking to the Disciples tells them.

16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Jesus speaks specifically about those who BELIEVE.

17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Jesus speaks again about BELIEVERS, keep in mind Jesus is speaking to the Disciples and never says YOU SHALL He says BELIEVERS SHALL.

18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Jesus makes reference back to BELIEVERS by saying THEY SHALL

19) So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

They confirmed the word by signs and wonders following, because they were
BELIEVERS.

Thus they fulfilled the words of Jesus.

17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Do you speak with new tongues, notice there isn't a stipulation on those tongues being the Tongues of men, or of Angels?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I read, if it doesn't say it, I don't assume it says something which it clearly does not.

Look at the context.

Mark 16:14-20
14) Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Jesus speaking to the Disciples tells them.

16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Jesus speaks specifically about those who BELIEVE.

Jesus speaks again about BELIEVERS, keep in mind Jesus is speaking to the Disciples and never says YOU SHALL He says BELIEVERS SHALL.

18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Jesus makes reference back to BELIEVERS by saying THEY SHALL

19) So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

They confirmed the word by signs and wonders following, because they were
BELIEVERS.

Thus they fulfilled the words of Jesus.

Do you speak with new tongues, notice there isn't a stipulation on those tongues being the Tongues of men, or of Angels?
ok, lets get back on topic. Im not sure how we got off topic, maybe my fault, but lets get away from this debate.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean that their deeds followed them? Does anyone know of any more scripture references with this saying in it? Thank you

Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them.”
Look at its context. Look at the previous verse - v.12 which references the saints who "keep the commandments of God and "the faith of Jesus." The saints are commanded to persevere and remain faithful to God in the context of persecution and taking the mark of of the beast in vs. 9-11. Thus v.13 refers to those saints whose deeds/behaviors demonstrated that they have kept God's commandments and their faith in Jesus; refused to worship the beast and accept the mark. They are the ones who are blessed because their deeds have demonstrated that they remained obedient and faithful to God.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Look at its context. Look at the previous verse - v.12 which references the saints who "keep the commandments of God and "the faith of Jesus." The saints are commanded to persevere and remain faithful to God in the context of persecution and taking the mark of of the beast in vs. 9-11. Thus v.13 refers to those saints whose deeds/behaviors demonstrated that they have kept God's commandments and their faith in Jesus; refused to worship the beast and accept the mark. They are the ones who are blessed because their deeds have demonstrated that they remained obedient and faithful to God.
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

JLHargus

Sep 10, 2018
Columbus
✟33,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What does it mean that their deeds followed them? Does anyone know of any more scripture references with this saying in it? Thank you

Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them.”

According to Scripture we will be judged by our deeds

[Hb9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:]

[2Cor5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ that every one may receive the things done in his body according to that he hath done whether it be good or bad]

[1Pt1:17 And if ye call on the Father who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work pass the time of your sojourning here in fear].

[Mt7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven]

[[Mt7:22 Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them I never knew you depart from me ye that work iniquity]

[Mt7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon a rock]

[2Pt1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:]

[Jms2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.]

[Mt16:27 For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father and then he will repay every man for what he has done]

[Rev 14:13 And I heard a voice from Heaven saying, Write: blessed are the dead who die in the Lord henceforth. Yes, says the Spirit, let them rest from their labors, for their works follow them]

[Jn5:27 and authority He gave him also to do judgment, because he is Son of Man. 28 Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, 29 and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practiced the evil things to a rising again of judgment]

[Rev 22:12 And, behold I come quickly and my reward is with me to give every man according as his work shall be].
All scripture from KJV 1611 public domain Biblegateway.

Upvote 0