United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The word soul.

Opening this thread for the purpose of discussing the word soul and it's usage and meaning in both the OT and the NT.

It will be necessary to use the Hebrew and Greek lexicons as the english language does not adequately provide the depth of meaning.

Available for free use here ... (probably are others)

www.biblehub.com

Will start in the OT where the first appearance/usage of the word (in regard to man) is.

Genesis 2:7

New International Version
Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living s

Last edited:

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is a soul?

Opening this thread for the purpose of discussing the word soul and it's usage and meaning in both the OT and the NT.

It will be necessary to use the Hebrew and Greek lexicons as the english language does not adequately provide the depth of meaning.

www.biblehub.com

Will start in the OT where the first appearance/usage of the word is.

Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living s
I see a soul as a vessel for spirit, wherefore it is corruptible in degrees of the adulteration of what constitutes our Spiritual Light (imagery of God/god).
Matthew 6:22-23
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is a soul?

www.biblehub.com

Will start in the OT where the first appearance/usage of the word is.

King James Bible

nephesh

Strong's Hebrew: 5315. נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) -- a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
Original Word: נֶפֶשׁ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: nephesh
Phonetic Spelling: (neh'-fesh)
Definition: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from an unused word
Definition
a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

NASB Translation
any (1), anyone (2), anyone* (1), appetite (7), being (1), beings (3), body (1), breath (1), corpse (2), creature (6), creatures (3), dead (1), dead person (2), deadly (1), death (1), defenseless* (1), desire (12), desire* (2), discontented* (1), endure* (1), feelings (1), fierce* (2), greedy* (1), heart (5), heart's (2), herself (12), Himself (4), himself (19), human (1), human being (1), hunger (1), life (146), life* (1), lifeblood* (2), lives (34), living creature (1), longing* (1), man (4), man's (1), men* (2), mind (2), Myself (3), myself (2), number (1), ones (1), others (1), ourselves (3), own (1), passion* (1), people (2), people* (1), perfume* (1), person (68), person* (1), persons (19), slave (1), some (1), soul (238), soul's (1), souls (12), strength (1), themselves (6), thirst (1), throat (2), will (1), wish (1), wishes (1), yourself (11), yourselves (13).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see a soul as a vessel for spirit, wherefore it is corruptible in degrees of the adulteration of what constitutes our Spiritual Light (imagery of God/god).
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

It will be necessary to use the Hebrew and Greek lexicons as the english language does not adequately provide the depth of meaning. (see original post please)

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It will be necessary to use the Hebrew and Greek lexicons as the english language does not adequately provide the depth of meaning. (see original post please)

I have re-read your post. I don't see how the scriptures I provided are in any way in disagreement with Strongs' definition for Nephesh. God breathed life into the dust that he had formed man out of, and the dust became a living soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
nephesh

Strong's Hebrew: 5315. נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) -- a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
Original Word: נֶפֶשׁ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: nephesh
Phonetic Spelling: (neh'-fesh)
Definition: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
Word Origin
from an unused word
Definition
a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

NASB Translation
any (1), anyone (2), anyone* (1), appetite (7), being (1), beings (3), body (1), breath (1), corpse (2), creature (6), creatures (3), dead (1), dead person (2), deadly (1), death (1), defenseless* (1), desire (12), desire* (2), discontented* (1), endure* (1), feelings (1), fierce* (2), greedy* (1), heart (5), heart's (2), herself (12), Himself (4), himself (19), human (1), human being (1), hunger (1), life (146), life* (1), lifeblood* (2), lives (34), living creature (1), longing* (1), man (4), man's (1), men* (2), mind (2), Myself (3), myself (2), number (1), ones (1), others (1), ourselves (3), own (1), passion* (1), people (2), people* (1), perfume* (1), person (68), person* (1), persons (19), slave (1), some (1), soul (238), soul's (1), souls (12), strength (1), themselves (6), thirst (1), throat (2), will (1), wish (1), wishes (1), yourself (11), yourselves (13).

Nephesh used in regard to animals ...

Genesis 1:20

New King James Version
Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures (nephesh), and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.”

Genesis 1:21
King James Bible
And God created great whales, and every living creature (nephesh) that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

English - creatures - Nephesh

, Gen 1:21 (great sea life), Gen 1:24 (land creatures), Gen 1:30 (birds and land creatures). At Gen 2:7 nephesh is used as description of man.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Trying to discuss the word usage/meaning of the word soul ... the word soul does not appear in Matthew 6:22-23, nor 2 Corinthians 4:7

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trying to discuss the word usage/meaning of the word soul ... the word soul does not appear in Matthew 6:22-23, nor 2 Corinthians 4:7
I find these these scriptures to be provding some of the most accurate descriptions of what a "soul" is when expressing or comprehending the sentiment behind the term "Nephesh". Matthew says "body", 2 Corinthians is "earthen vessels", however, these references to the soul are qualified in ways that are intended to give a deeper insight. God is Spirit, and His Spirit is Life, and that's the main point of understanding what a soul is, and by extension who am I, or what forms my Character. But perhaps I misunderstand your intention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find these these scriptures to be provding some of the most accurate descriptions of what a "soul" is when expressing or comprehending the sentiment behind the term "Nephesh". Matthew says "body", 2 Corinthians is "earthen vessels", but they are referring to the same man formed from the dust of the ground which became a living soul when God breathed Life into that dust. God is Spirit, and His Spirit is Life, and that's the main point of understanding what a soul is, as I see it. But perhaps I misunderstand your intention.

But perhaps I misunderstand your intention.

Yes, I believe you do misunderstand. ;o)

sentiment

1a : an attitude, thought, or judgment prompted by feeling : predilection. b : a specific view or notion : opinion. 2a : emotion. b : refined feeling : delicate sensibility especially as expressed in a work of art.

no not looking for this ... looking for the definition of the word soul and how and where it is used throughout scripture.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But perhaps I misunderstand your intention.

Yes, I believe you do misunderstand. ;o)

sentiment

1a : an attitude, thought, or judgment prompted by feeling : predilection. b : a specific view or notion : opinion. 2a : emotion. b : refined feeling : delicate sensibility especially as expressed in a work of art.

no not looking for this ... looking for the definition of the word soul and how and where it is used throughout scripture.
Respectfully, every word we speak expresses a sentiment. The definition of soul is being expressed in those scriptures. The soul of a man is a vessel of Spirit throughout scripture, Whose Spirit of Life as a man/creature can be adulterated/corrupted. Here's another scripture that corroborates the other two.
1 Corinthians 15:45
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Respectfully, every word we speak expresses a sentiment. The definition of soul is being expressed in those scriptures. The soul of a man is a vessel of Spirit throughout scripture, Whose Spirit of Life as a man/creature can be adulterated/corrupted. Here's another scripture that corroborates the other two.
1 Corinthians 15:45
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

If you want to discuss the sentiment of scripture then please go open a thread on that in THAT regard.

ok ... this scripture does include the word soul, so we go with this .... using the definition of the word soul here...

The first man Adam was made a living soul

Strong's Greek: 5590. ψυχή (psuché) -- breath, the soul

5590. psuché
Strong's Concordance
psuché: breath, the soul
Original Word: ψυχή, ῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: psuché
Phonetic Spelling: (psoo-khay')
Definition: breath, the soul

Usage: (a) the vital breath, breath of life, (b) the human soul, (c) the soul as the seat of affections and will, (d) the self, (e) a human person, an individual.
HELPS Word-studies

5590 psyxḗ (from psyxō, "to breathe, blow" which is the root of the English words "psyche," "psychology") – soul (psyche); a person's distinct identity (unique personhood), i.e. individual personality.

5590 (psyxē) corresponds exactly to the OT 5315 /phágō ("soul"). The soul is the direct aftermath of God breathing (blowing) His gift of life into a person, making them an ensouled being.

Word Origin
of uncertain origin
Definition
breath, the soul
NASB Translation
heart (2), heartily (1), life (36), lives (7), mind (1), minds (1), person (1), persons (3), soul (33), souls (14), suspense* (1), thing (1).

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want to discuss the sentiment of scripture then please go open a thread on that in THAT regard.
Respectfully, you're already discussing to begin with the usage and "meaning" or "sentiment", that the author of scripture had in mind when he used the term Nephesh to describe his "sentiment/meaning".

ok ... this scripture does include the word soul, so we go with this .... using the definition of the word soul here...

The first man Adam was made a living soul
This still says that a soul is a vessel of Spirit because it's qualified in contrast to this, "the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."
Strong's Greek: 5590. ψυχή (psuché) -- breath, the soul

5590. psuché
Strong's Concordance
psuché: breath, the soul
Original Word: ψυχή, ῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: psuché
Phonetic Spelling: (psoo-khay')
Definition: breath, the soul

Usage: (a) the vital breath, breath of life, (b) the human soul, (c) the soul as the seat of affections and will, (d) the self, (e) a human person, an individual.
HELPS Word-studies

5590 psyxḗ (from psyxō, "to breathe, blow" which is the root of the English words "psyche," "psychology") – soul (psyche); a person's distinct identity (unique personhood), i.e. individual personality.

5590 (psyxē) corresponds exactly to the OT 5315 /phágō ("soul"). The soul is the direct aftermath of God breathing (blowing) His gift of life into a person, making them an ensouled being.

Word Origin
of uncertain origin
Definition
breath, the soul
NASB Translation
heart (2), heartily (1), life (36), lives (7), mind (1), minds (1), person (1), persons (3), soul (33), souls (14), suspense* (1), thing (1).
That's a lot of defining of a single term, which is perfectly understandable since this single term constitutes all that is life as a person and what makes us who we are.

I submit that "a vessel of Spirit" is more succinct and concise when contemplating the bigger picture of how all of these definitions would apply. We can't even comprehend the term soul without first comprehending the term Spirit or Breathe of God (That which animates us).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Respectfully, you're already discussing to begin with the usage and "meaning" or "sentiment", that the author of scripture had in mind when he used the term Nephesh to describe his "sentiment/meaning".

This still says that a soul is a vessel of Spirit because it's qualified in contrast to this, "the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."

That's a lot of defining of a single term, which is perfectly understandable since this single term constitutes all that is life as a person and what makes us who we are.

I submit that "a vessel of Spirit" is more succinct and concise when contemplating the bigger picture of how all of these definitions would apply. We can't even comprehend the term soul without first comprehending the term Spirit or Breathe of God (That which animates us).

(That which animates us).

Yes and the word soul as used in Genesis is stating that .... soul = breath of life = that which animates us as you accurately put it.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and the word soul as used in Genesis is stating that .... soul = breath of life = that which animates us as you accurately put it.
Not exactly. In Genesis as pertains to mankind, a soul is a "vessel" of "Spirit" endowed by the Creator. The breath of life is not equal to the soul since this is what differentiates the soul from the Life that precedes it and animates it. It's the same difference meant to be drawn between the terms "creature" and Creator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The word soul.

www.biblehub.com

Will start in the OT where the first appearance/usage of the word (in regard to man) is.

King James Bible
Soul is natural physical life in creation.
The spirit is natural human-spirit life, which can exist without Spiritual life.
Eternal life/Spiritual life is God's life in the human spirit.
Absence of God's life in the human spirit is Spiritual death, but not death of the human spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The word soul.

www.biblehub.com

King James Bible
The soul: The spiritual principle of human beings. The soul is the subject of human consciousness and freedom; soul and body together form one unique human nature. Each human soul is individual and immortal, immediately created by God. The soul does not die with the body, from which it is separated by death, and with which it will be reunited in the final resurrection. What Exactly Is a Soul?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not exactly. In Genesis as pertains to mankind, a soul is a "vessel" of "Spirit" endowed by the Creator. The breath of life is not equal to the soul since this is what differentiates the soul from the Life that precedes it and animates it. It's the same difference meant to be drawn between the terms "creature" and Creator.

well a "vessel" would be the body .... the "container" ....

and then the breath of life is what animates the body

and that is what makes a living being .... be it a man ... or be it an animal.

Life that precedes it and animates it. It's the same difference meant to be drawn between the terms "creature" and Creator.

Not understanding that ????

God is the creator of creatures ... that is anything with the breath of life in it.

Man being created in the image of God (His character) .... animals not .... but both created creatures (alive, living)

Creature

Strong's Hebrew: 2416. חָי (chay) -- age

chay
Strong's Concordance
chay: age
Original Word: חַי
Part of Speech: Adjective; feminine; noun masculine; noun feminine; noun feminine; noun masculine; Adjective; noun feminine
Transliteration: chay
Phonetic Spelling: (khah'-ee)
Definition: alive, living

The word spirit is not in the Genesis creation account.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Soul is natural physical life in creation.
The spirit is natural human-spirit life, which can exist without Spiritual life.
Eternal life/Spiritual life is God's life in the human spirit.
Absence of God's life in the human spirit is Spiritual death, but not death of the human spirit.

so are you saying spirit and soul are the same thing?

and where is the scripture in Genesis that supports this idea that a soul is ... or has a "spirit" as well or are the same thing?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The soul: The spiritual principle of human beings. The soul is the subject of human consciousness and freedom; soul and body together form one unique human nature. Each human soul is individual and immortal, immediately created by God. The soul does not die with the body, from which it is separated by death, and with which it will be reunited in the final resurrection. What Exactly Is a Soul?

I don't find in the Genesis account where man was given a "soul" .... rather the breath of life ... and that same breath was given to animals as well .... nor does it state immortality is within the breath. In the beginning, before the fall ... Adam and Eve ate from the tree of life ... and the tree of life was removed from them being able to access it and immortality was forfeited ... that is ... death entered the world.

Jesus ... on the cross ... ie breathed His last ... as a human did His "soul" go somewhere?
Did Jesus have a "soul"?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so are you saying spirit and soul are the same thing?

and where is the scripture in Genesis that supports this idea that a soul is ... or has a "spirit" as well or are the same thing?
No, Hebrews 4:12 presents them as separate.

The soul (anima) is the principle of physical life, animation, even of the animals.
It's hard to tell the difference between soul and spirit in the NT, their being alike in their nature and activities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0