The Watchmaker

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
random_guy said:
I laughed when I saw the beginning part about the watch forming through evolution. I thought it was a parody flash about the ID movement and how badly the represent evolution. However, as the flash when on, it because obvious that they actually believe this stuff. Now I feel sad.

hehe me too! I had the same thought!

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TEBeliever said:
I couldn't help but notice that this was "Kids For Truth." I've also noticed in Church and on numerous websites that deal with Christian themes that "Truth" is part of the title of the program or website at least 70 percent of the time it feels.

Meanwhile, Evolutions(such as myself) don't stress "Truth" quite so much. Can you guys help me figure this out?

If I need to, I'll start another thread. Thank you.
That's because "Truth" is a meaningless term for science. However, for creationists, who build their philosophy like a house of cards, "Truth" is necessary. Here's how it goes:
  • The Bible is inerrant and therefore, "True."
  • Since the Bible is "True" anything that contradicts the Bible is "False".
  • Science contradicts the Bible by saying man wasn't created intact. Therefore science is "False."
This is why the discussion so often turns to errors in the Bible. If that card falls the entire house comes down.

Reactions: levi501
Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
TEBeliever said:
Hi guys, I'm going to take down my Baptist tag soon. It's kinda scary that a person I go to church with frequents these forums but they haven't said anything yet about my posts so I don't know what to think but I've had my coming out I guess. :)

I couldn't help but notice that this was "Kids For Truth." I've also noticed in Church and on numerous websites that deal with Christian themes that "Truth" is part of the title of the program or website at least 70 percent of the time it feels.

Meanwhile, Evolutions(such as myself) don't stress "Truth" quite so much. Can you guys help me figure this out?

i believe it is because of the foundationalism philosophic basis.
see an excellent book on the topic in:
_beyond liberalism & fundamentalism_ by nancey murphy

just a little aside.
is it possible to ask if you post a multimedia link, like this one, if it has .html for an extension that you warn some of us that it is a sound/audio file?

i don't have problems with things that are marked as *.mp3 or whatever, but if it is an html file extension it locks up my system unless i setup the helper function in advance.

like:
http://www.kids4truth.com/watchmaker/watch.html
watch this flash presentation

usually i can pick up what it is from the conversation and context but a few times it is difficult to tell that it is not a html file link

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
TEBeliever said:
Hi guys, I'm going to take down my Baptist tag soon. It's kinda scary that a person I go to church with frequents these forums but they haven't said anything yet about my posts so I don't know what to think but I've had my coming out I guess. :)

Personally, I think it's a subtle form of brainwashing. You hear the word "truth" mixed in with whatever someone is preaching for long enough, and you slowly but surely start to believe it's actually THE TRUTH. Almost happened to me once ;)

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0