• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

The Watchmaker

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Nightson, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Nightson

Nightson Take two snuggles and call me in the morning

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tiphereth

Tiphereth Member

+6
    Agnostic
    Single
    Greetings and Salutations.

Nice poem and flash video that summarizes the Intelligent Design movement and its Paley/Aquinas roots. Thankfully enough, biologists do not posit that abiogenesis nor evolution was random.

Thanks for considering my post.

3. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Sure they do, they don't think there's any force guiding it do they? What else does that make it but random?

4. Tiphereth

Tiphereth Member

+6
    Agnostic
    Single
    Greetings and Salutations,

The force that essentially guides evolution is mostly natural selection. Both evolution and abiogenesis are incremental step-wise processes. Abiogenesis is also as random as chemical reactions governed by chemical laws.

5. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Are not the "chemical laws" merely a random result of the big bang? Or were they set in place by a creator?

6. Tiphereth

Tiphereth Member

+6
    Agnostic
    Single
    Greetings and Salutations,

While I'm not versed enough to comment on physics, this question remains open. It's not known whether or not it was random or even if it was random. One of the proposed hypotheses is that the Big Bang occurred from brane collision. If there is a physicist out there, please correct me.

This is of course unrelated to abiogenesis and evolution.

7. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Of course it's related, if the physical laws are random then everything proceeding from them is at base random, and hence life is nothing but rendom meaninglessness. Only with a God as as upreme creator and the setting down of unalterable laws can life have purpose and meaning.

8. Lucretius

Lucretius Senior Veteran

+189
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I'm a physicist in training, I'll try and answer the question. The origin of the laws of physics is something we cannot currently answer right now. Brane collision is one possible idea regarding the Big Bang's origin.

9. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    But we do have the answer, it was God, God did it.

10. Lucretius

Lucretius Senior Veteran

+189
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Heheh, if I didn't know you betterÂ…

11. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Umm, I uhh, saw the light.... >.> <.<

Drats

12. Lucretius

Lucretius Senior Veteran

+189
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You cannot fool the battle-hardened veteran!

13. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Playing creationist is entirely too much fun for its own good. Sometimes I think all the creationists in the world are just doing it because the find it amusing.

14. DiscardedTruths

DiscardedTruths Member

+25
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
  15. moogoob

moogoob Resident Deist

+39
    Deist
    CA-Others
    Funny thing is, that flash video almost made sense to me, until the ending's conclusion ruined it. I feel there's a reason why molecules fall so readily into place.

16. Tenka

Tenka Guest

+0
    Hi everybody! I'm back.

Did the creationists get any new ideas while I was away?

17. random_guy

random_guy Senior Veteran

+134
    Christian
    I laughed when I saw the beginning part about the watch forming through evolution. I thought it was a parody flash about the ID movement and how badly the represent evolution. However, as the flash when on, it because obvious that they actually believe this stuff. Now I feel sad.

18. Tiphereth

Tiphereth Member

+6
    Agnostic
    Single
    Greetings and Salutations.

So, Poe's Law came into effect? Ach.

19. Vainglorious

Vainglorious Regular Member

+37
    Atheist
    The Intelligent Design recipe for life

1 part strawman
    2 parts Argument from Incredulity
    1 part demonising academics from Oxford

20. XTE

XTE Well-Known Member

+106
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Hi guys, I'm going to take down my Baptist tag soon. It's kinda scary that a person I go to church with frequents these forums but they haven't said anything yet about my posts so I don't know what to think but I've had my coming out I guess. :)

I couldn't help but notice that this was "Kids For Truth." I've also noticed in Church and on numerous websites that deal with Christian themes that "Truth" is part of the title of the program or website at least 70 percent of the time it feels.

Meanwhile, Evolutions(such as myself) don't stress "Truth" quite so much. Can you guys help me figure this out?

If I need to, I'll start another thread. Thank you.