MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people falsely assert Catholics and Orthodox believe Mary didn't need Jesus as Savior which is something neither group says.

Is there any disagreement with that statement?
Then you would agree Mary was a sinner correct?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why? Because they don't say "Mary needed a savior" all the time?
Because I have never heard that opinion voiced ("A lot of people falsely assert Catholics and Orthodox believe Mary didn't need Jesus as Savior")

I was trying to be fair by saying that if some people have said what you claimed, it would be a rare occurrence. I was thinking of saying that it is never done, but as with a lot of things in life there usually are a few exceptions somewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people falsely assert Catholics and Orthodox believe Mary didn't need Jesus as Savior which is something neither group says.

In a sense, two statements are being made up there.

But to settle on one, I do agree that a fair number of Protestants say (or imply) that we Catholics believe Our Lady had no need of a Savior. This happens not because of clear statements of Catholic belief, but in spite of clear statements of Catholic belief.

Our denials seem to avail us nothing though. I should say that Protestants continue laboring under many a false impression of Catholic belief, of which this is merely one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Catholics and EOs may not say this because of the theological absurdities which are entailed in it. But it is a very clear implication of another thing that Catholics and EOs say which is that Mary was conceived without sin and that she remained totally innocent of sin throughout her whole life.

Jesus is only a savior of sinners. If Mary is not a sinner then she is not in need of Jesus the savior. So to say that Mary was conceived without sin and remained sinless is as good as saying that she does not need a savior and many other theological absurdities which would be unacceptable to any Christian would come from this.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because they are born into a fallen world. Plants and animals don't sin yet they they also suffer from disease and die.

The earth is under a curse because of Adam's sin. Jesus himself suffered and died because he assumed the guilt of Adam's sin (and ours). But he was risen by the power of a perfectly righteous life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Catholics and EOs may not say this because of the theological absurdities which are entailed in it. But it is a very clear implication of another thing that Catholics and EOs say which is that Mary was conceived without sin and that she remained totally innocent of sin throughout her whole life.

Jesus is only a savior of sinners. If Mary is not a sinner then she is not in need of Jesus the savior. So to say that Mary was conceived without sin and remained sinless is as good as saying that she does not need a savior and many other theological absurdities which would be unacceptable to any Christian would come from this.
Incorrect, being sinless does not merit you salvation. Union with God is primordial

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect, being sinless does not merit you salvation. Union with God is primordial

A person needs to be saved from their sins. If they have no sins, then they don't need salvation.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because she is also with a fallen nature.

The fallen nature is sinful. To say that Mary is without sin and that she had a fallen nature is self-contradictory and (I believe) inconsistent with RCC doctrine which teaches that she was immaculately conceived without a fallen nature.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.