Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You just insist on being insulting, don’t you?

I do not take kindly to heresy, purposeful ignorance or dishonesty.

Your posts are full of ad hominem attacks,

Just say I was being rude. Don't keep trying to use a word when it has already been shown you do not know what it means.

Also where is your condemnation of this "earnest seeker" whose entire argument has revolved around emotional manipulation, virtue signalling and guilt tripping? Are you not rebuking him because you agree with his heretical humanism? Hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

Being offensive is not inherently wrong, in fact Scripture shows it to be quite useful and needed. Stop the concern trolling, I could not care less.

you seem to be more interested in calling this earnest seeker names than you do in helping them understand what you are so proud of knowing. Why would this person listen to you if you are calling them depraved?

I did not call him depraved. I called the secular mindset depraved.

Why did Jesus call the Pharisees vipers? Why did Paul openly chastise Peter? Again, stop the guilt tripping, it is repugnant.

Also, from what I have seen he is not an earnest seeker. Rather, he will only accept an explanation that fits with his own preconceived humanist ideas. I have seen nothing honest in his argument nor yours.

You can continue to call my ideas “stupid”

Indeed. It is idiotic to believe in God solely based on how you can fit Him into your own preconceived world view. Your worldview must conform to God, not vice versa.

but the OP came here looking for a way to reconcile his faith and scripture and you are pretty much pushing them out the door by acting like a caricature of a self-righteous fundamentalist zealot.

It is evident to me that he came here to reinforce his preconceived notions. Nothing more. And again, i do not care about being offensive. I have first hand witnessed in my own life that it is better for all involved to be offensive and right than pleasant and wrong.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand that topics like this have been done a million times. The occasional atrocities in the OT that Atheists normally use as a reference to the evils in religion.

"slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.’”

Is an example of one verse. I've read and heard arguments being that they where sinners and they were doing bad things to the Hebrews for 400 years.. but does this justify the killing of babies and animals?

I'm not going to debate because I and most of you certainly have encountered these arguments many times. I'm just interested to see how believers here can explain it intelligently and in ways that (if possible) is understandable for secular people.

For your reference:
Canaanites Numbers 21:2-3; Deuteronomy 20:17; Joshua 6:17, 21
Amalekites 1 Samuel 15
The harsh death penalties in Leviticus.
Killing is simply the taking of life. Murder is taking life without cause or authority to do so. All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. Because God is the creator of all life that exists, He and He alone has the authority to take life or give that authority to others. Because all examples you have referenced involve God giving a command to kill, the killing is within the God given authority. Thus, it isn't murder.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The answer "God ordered it so it's not evil" is a vile answer to justifying the murder of infants in that passage. What's even worse is that you portray disagreement on that as being heathen like.

"If we kill babies with out any divine orders, then it's evil... but if god wants us to do it that makes it good"
"If you are against God ordering to kill babies then you are deceived and following satan". Do you understand how this sounds like? This is the same reasoning that caused the violence during the dark ages, the Salem Witch trials, the burning of people to stakes, and other forms of barbarianism in every religion. All of them had this same reasoning that it's not evil due to being of service to the "orders" of their god.

What makes you different from the terrorists and the people back then who commit murder due to "what god said"? Because you think your god is real? (note, i use "your" because i don't believe in a tyrant god. I don't believe the God of Christianity is evil and just changes what is evil based on his authority)

If this story the killing of infant cannanites was of a different religious book like the Quran or the Vedas, you would see this book and this god as completely evil. Imagine your reaction to Jihadists, satanists, and whatever non-christian religion if their response towards infant murder is justified because "their god is above the laws and whatever he decides is holy". You'd think that is absurd and vile.
Facts dont care about feelings. If God told you to kill a baby, you would be wrong not to do it regardless of how you felt about it. Proving that God did in fact command you to slaughter a baby is another question.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He is already on the way to atheism as he places subjective human feelings above God and absolute truth. I am en devouring to hammer the foolishness of this depraved secular mindset into his head.

God is authoritarian. “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” - John 15:14

Exactly what points have i proved of his argument, heck, what points has he even made? Tell me now what you were impressed by from @Cis.jd. Was it his denying that morality is based entirely on God? His claims that God has to answer to man's questioning? His inability to give a straight forward answer? What?

Because what you don't understand is that being the sole source of morality doesn't mean he is a hypocrite who changes what is evil and what is good based on what he wants.

You are the only one who has never answered any logical points. If this passage was of a different religious book, in where the god of that religion commanded his people to slaughter infants, animals, and just anybody who was innocent, you would think that god and that religion is evil. Fact is we have religions just like this: Radical Islam, ancient religions that took in and kidnapped children and murdered them in sacrifice or whatever reasons, even Christianity with Salem Witch trials and the whole thing with the Catholic Church during the dark ages.

Their reasoning was the same as yours here. To them, it wasn't evil because it was for God under what they assumed was holy acts. Burning random people under the suspicion that they were doing satanism/witch craft, bombing specific buildings because of "heathens". To you, your only argument about that being evil is "well their god isn't real" when in reality even if their god was true, that doesn't mean those acts are not evil.

My claim isn't for God to answer question, my claim is your views on this is not just complete wrong in interpretation but completely vile. You sound like a zealot more than a christian because as a christian we are supposed to preach the message that the true god is a God who is good, loving, and just but none of these show any of those attributes, just the opposite. It wasn't soul taking, it was pure violence.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Killing is simply the taking of life. Murder is taking life without cause or authority to do so. All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. Because God is the creator of all life that exists, He and He alone has the authority to take life or give that authority to others. Because all examples you have referenced involve God giving a command to kill, the killing is within the God given authority. Thus, it isn't murder.

That goes back to the authority example that was started and then taken back by Varangian Christian. Having authority and legalizing any form of killing doesn't change it to be evil. The Nazi's are an example, same with Pol Pot, Stalin, the Salem Witch trials. So by your logic all the jews that were killed in Germany and the other nations under Nazi rule wasn't murder?

God isn't a dictator or a tyrant, he is not going to just abuse his divine authority the way you all have been portraying. I hope that you guys think deeply on the views that have been posted here, and just think if you were in a forum called "Hindu answers" or "muslim answers" and saw this kind of justification, you would think to yourself as to how "evil" their religions are. So how can you blame a non-christian who just reads your posts all saying "it's not evil to murder babies because God said so"?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is an example of one verse. I've read and heard arguments being that they where sinners and they were doing bad things to the Hebrews for 400 years.. but does this justify the killing of babies and animals?

First thing that I think needs to be understood is, God has given life, therefore He has right to decide how long life He gives. Even if someone is perfect, God has no reason why He must give eternal life for that person. Even if people are perfect, God would have right to give only short life for them. No one has done anything to deserve more. (Many people think people can give life. That is not true, people in good case can only let the life continue. People procreate, multiply, because they have the living cells that have ability for that. But people have not given the life to any cell, cells grow, because God has given life).

God is good and nice and has decided to give eternal life for righteous. He has right for that, but there is no forcing reason for Him to do so.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Second important thing is to notice, in Biblical point of view, this “life” is meant to be a short lesson. This is the first death. Real life is with God. If God doesn’t allow this death to last forever, I think there is no problem, especially because there is possibility for eternal life.

So, if baby dies, it is not necessary the end. It is possible that baby’s life continues with God. This means there is two things I don’t know, was the baby righteous and does he live with God after death. Because I don’t know those things, I don’t know was the death really bad. If the baby was righteous, I believe he continues in eternal life with God, if not, then he doesn’t. I think it is good, if eternal life is only for righteous, because I think they know how to live well. If unrighteous would live forever, they would turn eternal life for eternal suffering for all, which is why I think is good, if they don’t live eternally.

Also, in the case of babies, if their parents die, they would be left alone. That could cause many problems. If they would survive, they could become very evil, if they would not already be. that is why it could be better, if God takes them.

If God has really given death penalty to someone, or decides that someone must die, I believe it is good. The problem can be, has God really decided so.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First thing that I think needs to be understood is, God has given life, therefore He has right to decide how long life He gives. Even if someone is perfect, God has no reason why He must give eternal life for that person. Even if people are perfect, God would have right to give only short life for them. No one has done anything to deserve more. (Many people think people can give life. That is not true, people in good case can only let the life continue. People procreate, multiply, because they have the living cells that have ability for that. But people have not given the life to any cell, cells grow, because God has given life).

God is good and nice and has decided to give eternal life for righteous. He has right for that, but there is no forcing reason for Him to do so.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Second important thing is to notice, in Biblical point of view, this “life” is meant to be a short lesson. This is the first death. Real life is with God. If God doesn’t allow this death to last forever, I think there is no problem, especially because there is possibility for eternal life.

So, if baby dies, it is not necessary the end. It is possible that baby’s life continues with God. This means there is two things I don’t know, was the baby righteous and does he live with God after death. Because I don’t know those things, I don’t know was the death really bad. If the baby was righteous, I believe he continues in eternal life with God, if not, then he doesn’t. I think it is good, if eternal life is only for righteous, because I think they know how to live well. If unrighteous would live forever, they would turn eternal life for eternal suffering for all, which is why I think is good, if they don’t live eternally.

Also, in the case of babies, if their parents die, they would be left alone. That could cause many problems. If they would survive, they could become very evil, if they would not already be. that is why it could be better, if God takes them.

If God has really given death penalty to someone, or decides that someone must die, I believe it is good. The problem can be, has God really decided so.

I'm not against God taking life when he pleases, it's how it is done. There is a difference when calling a soul to leave it's body and ordering a life to end through violence. It's like saying, "since the babies will eventually go to God, which is better, then slaughtering them isn't that bad".

Additionally, going by our rules of faith then those babies didn't get to go to heaven yet due to this being years before Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not take kindly to heresy, purposeful ignorance or dishonesty.

Just say I was being rude. Don't keep trying to use a word when it has already been shown you do not know what it means.

Also where is your condemnation of this "earnest seeker" whose entire argument has revolved around emotional manipulation, virtue signalling and guilt tripping? Are you not rebuking him because you agree with his heretical humanism? Hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

Being offensive is not inherently wrong, in fact Scripture shows it to be quite useful and needed. Stop the concern trolling, I could not care less.

I did not call him depraved. I called the secular mindset depraved.

Why did Jesus call the Pharisees vipers? Why did Paul openly chastise Peter? Again, stop the guilt tripping, it is repugnant.

Also, from what I have seen he is not an earnest seeker. Rather, he will only accept an explanation that fits with his own preconceived humanist ideas. I have seen nothing honest in his argument nor yours.

Indeed. It is idiotic to believe in God solely based on how you can fit Him into your own preconceived world view. Your worldview must conform to God, not vice versa.

It is evident to me that he came here to reinforce his preconceived notions. Nothing more. And again, i do not care about being offensive. I have first hand witnessed in my own life that it is better for all involved to be offensive and right than pleasant and wrong.
Like I said, chillax dude! That suit of armor has got to be heavy.

Since you seem to think I don’t know the meaning of ad hominem, I’ll post a link to a list of fellacious arguments. Ad Hominem is at the top. Anyone who has taken a debate or logics course, and I think most posters here, know the context of my usage of the phrase.

A List Of Fallacious Arguments

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand that topics like this have been done a million times. The occasional atrocities in the OT that Atheists normally use as a reference to the evils in religion.
Is an example of one verse. I've read and heard arguments being that they where sinners and they were doing bad things to the Hebrews for 400 years.. but does this justify the killing of babies and animals?.........
I know some people that won't read a lot of the OT because of some of the future horrors that are prophecied for the future in the NT and Revelation.
Our God is a avenging God..........

Eze 6:11
“ ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Strike your hands together and stamp your feet and cry out
“Alas!” because of all the wicked and detestable practices of the people of Israel, for they will fall by the sword, famine and plague.

Eze 12:16
But I will spare a few of them from the sword, famine and plague, so that in the nations where they go they may acknowledge all their detestable practices.
Then they will know that I am the LORD.”
Rom 9:27
Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only the remnant will be saved.
EZEKIEL 22 "GATHER HOUSE OF ISRAEL INTO JERUSALEM TO MELT IN FURNACE/GEHENNA"

Eze 22:18
“Son of man, the people of Israel have become dross to me; all of them are the copper, tin, iron and lead left inside a furnace. They are but the dross of silver.
As silver is melted in a furnace, so you will be melted inside her, and you will know that I the LORD have poured out my wrath on you.' ”

Jer 14:12
Although they fast, I will not listen to their cry; though they offer burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them.
Instead, I will destroy them with the sword, famine and plague.”
Jer 15:8
I will make their widows more numerous than the sand of the sea.
At midday I will bring a destroyer against the mothers of their young men; suddenly I will bring down on them anguish and terror.

Eze 6:11
“ ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Strike your hands together and stamp your feet and cry out
“Alas!” because of all the wicked and detestable practices of the people of Israel, for they will fall by the sword, famine and plague.

NT Book of Revelation:

Rev 6:8
I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him.
They were given power over a fourth of the land to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.
Revelation 6:4
and there went forth another horse--red, and to him who is sitting upon it, there was given to him to take the peace from the land,
and that one another they may slay, and there was given to him a great sword.

[Ezekiel 38:21]
Mat 10:21
“Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.
22 “And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Ezekiel 38:21
Then will I call against him every terror, declareth My Lord Yahweh.
The sword of every man against his brother shall be;

[Matt 10:34/Revelation 6:4]

Luke 21:24
"And they shall be falling by mouth of sword, and they shall be being led into captivity into all the Nations.
And Jerusalem shall be being trodden by nations until which may be being filled times of nations.
Reve 13:10
If any to-captivity, into captivity is going away.
If any in sword to be killed, is binding him in sword/macaira <3162> to be killed. Here is the endurance and the faith of the saints.

Isaiah 61:2
To proclaim the year of the good pleasure of Yahweh,
And the day of vengeance of our 'Elohiym, To comfort all mourners.
Luke 21:
22 That days of vengeance these are, of the to be fulfilled all the having been written,

Luke 18:7
“And shall God not avenge His own elect/chosen who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? [Revelation 6:10 Revelation 19:2]
Revelation 6:10
and they were crying with a great voice saying,
'how long! O Master, the Holy and the True, dost Thou not judge
and take vengeance/avenge of our blood from those dwelling upon the land?'

Jer 19:9
I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them.'
Zec 12:2
“Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of drunkenness to all the surrounding peoples, when they lay siege against Judah and Jerusalem.

Matthew 24:19
“But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those, the days!
Mark 13:17
“But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
Luke 21:
22 “For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon this people.

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

.........Meanwhile the horrors of famine grew still more melancholy and afflictive.
The Jews, for want of food were at length compelled to eat their belts, their sandals, the skins of their shields, dried grass, and even the ordure of oxen. In the depth or this horrible extremity,
a Jewess of noble family urged by the intolerable cravings of hunger, slew her infant child, and prepared it for a meal ;........

Of the Jews destroyed during the siege
, Josephus reckons not less than ONE MILLION AND ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND, to which must be added, above TWO-HUNDRED AND THIRTY-SEVEN THOUSAND who perished in other places, and innumerable multitudes who were swept away by famine, and pestilence, and of which no calculation could be made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So by your logic all the jews that were killed in Germany and the other nations under Nazi rule wasn't murder?
First, did God command Hitler to exterminate the Jews or did He allow Hitler to carry out his murderous campaign for a divine purpose? Second, What does Romans 13 say? Sometimes God will use evil nations to carry out His will. But there is a difference between God simply allowing people to murder and God actually commanding and giving authority to kill. I think a more proper comparison would be Daniel 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Varangian Christian

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Cis.jd I cannot continue to argue with someone who is a completely subjective thinker, cannot give a straight answer and is purposely deceitful. There is no point responding to your newest post as it is just a repeating of the humanist garbage you said in all your other posts. Instead, I will link all my previous responses here as they are enough:
  1. The violence in the OT
  2. The violence in the OT
  3. The violence in the OT
  4. The violence in the OT
  5. The violence in the OT
  6. The violence in the OT
  7. The violence in the OT

Before I go I will yet again give you the chance to behave honestly and answer my questions in a straightforward manner.
  • What is good and evil?
  • Who defines good and evil or what is good and evil defined by?
  • Is good eternal or does good rely upon evil for its existence and definition?
  • Who creates, sustains, and takes all life?
  • Is God subject to laws He places on humanity?
Either give honest straightforward answers to these questions or continue to dodge and weave and shame and virtue signal like an atheist wormtongue. The secular mindset you have displayed is a grave danger to your soul. It is a weight that you must break off. I pray you will open your mind to God, but discussion seems to be futile at this point.

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." - Matthew 7:6

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What is good and evil?
  • Who defines good and evil or what is good and evil defined by?
  • Is good eternal or does good rely upon evil for its existence and definition?
  • Who creates, sustains, and takes all life?
  • Is God subject to laws He places on humanity?
First, i've never dodged. It is you who has, which i'll get to after answering your questions.

1. For one, ordering slaughtering of infants is evil. I don't think it's that hard to understand.
2. In some way yes. With out evil, we won't know what good is. However another view is no, it doesn't need evil. Since God himself is good and evil is just the absence of good. It's a philosophical view that has two answers.
3. God
4. If he is a Deistic god, then no.

Lets go back to the ruler you brought up and then took away. Regardless of a ruler setting laws, it doesn't change the fact that his acts are legal. Just because somethings are legalized doesn't change it's morality. There are circumstances that can though, and that is what we (or atleast I) am I trying to find in regards to these OT stories: What are the circumstances that God had to order this (given that he really did)?

You see, your argument is "he is God, so whatever he says he can do and it's not evil because he said so". The questions you've ignored is in regards to this logic: What makes you different from the Jihadists, Salem Witch Trials, or the Catholic Church during the dark ages? If you "well my god is real, so it's now good". Then what if you are wrong, and the Allah is real, does this mean that all the murders the Jihadists did is now holy? Your views are highly scary, it is supporting a god who commits barbarianism and you are like "well, if we do it with out his command its barbaric but if he wants to do it, it's not anymore".

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
=

1. For one, ordering slaughtering of infants is evil. I don't think it's that hard to understand.

Many infants died during the global flood; So are you saying that there were no more infants in the world when the flood happened? Scripture says God is the giver and taker of life. So when a baby dies today, it is God's call to take their life. Whether God uses His people to take life or whether God gives a person a heart attack, etc. is up to God to decide. The ordering of the complete slaughter of infants along with the parents is not evil because those infants were no doubt corrupted by their sinful parents. They either had some kind of sexual disease, or they were Nephilim, or they were addicted to certain drugs by the mother, etc.

Obviously something corrupted these infants in order for God to take their life along with the adults. For if these babies were pure, and untainted by sin, they would have been spared. For children are of the Kingdom of God. but we also know that the wages of sin is death. This means that they were tainted by sin in some way. We may not know the exact answer or reason why, but if we know the God of the Bible, we know that God is love and not hate. God only does that which is loving and good. So we have to conclude that God did not mindlessly wipe out these infants for no good reason. There was a reason and it no doubt had to do with sin and how that it could effect God's people (Israel). Leviticus 18 gives us one possibility as to the reason why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm not going to debate because I and most of you certainly have encountered these arguments many times. I'm just interested to see how believers here can explain it intelligently and in ways that (if possible) is understandable for secular people.

For your reference:
Canaanites Numbers 21:2-3; Deuteronomy 20:17; Joshua 6:17, 21
Amalekites 1 Samuel 15

Some historical info. The spread of wickedness was so pervasive that immorality, degradation, and barbarity invaded every facet of life. Children were sacrificed to pagan gods. Male and female prostitution took place right in the temple as part of the religious rites. Idol worship was rife and the society wholly contaminated. This evil was contagious and God’s people were in danger of being infected as well. God’s awesome judgement was finally unleashed.

Yet there is clearly another side to God as well. While the prophet Ezekiel does not spare the wicked in his denunciations, he also records Gods words of grace: “If a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die”

Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?” (Ezekiel 18:21, 23). And he goes on in verse 32, “For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!” And there is this compelling verse recorded in 2 Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.”

God knows all things ... we do not ... therefore how can we attempt to rationalize what the Lord does? Some acts of God do not make sense to us ... "if we were" to have the knowledge God does ... no doubt it would.

The flood? No doubt, women, children and animals were destroyed as well.

Yet to come, destruction by fire, no doubt, women, children and animals will be destroyed then as well.

When the Lord sees evil and wickedness going on continuously, yeah often He takes them out ... individuals, small groups or big groups. Does so through others and/or does so himself.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But it doesn’t say “beat the tar,” it says “strike,” right? Is that the accurate translation?
Strike, hit, even attack... by using "beat the tar" I was trying to use exaggeration to make a point. God is who wrote the law, and since God is perfect, so is the law. Now, if the culture we are raised in has gone so PC that we look at some of God's "older choices" as antiquated or that just seem out of line or character... the problem is with us, not Him or His word. Again, if He is perfect and He is the author of the Torah (written by man, dictated by God) then we have to pray and take the time to wait on Him to reconcile what seems out of place to us today. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many infants died during the global flood; So are you saying that there were no more infants in the world when the flood happened? Scripture says God is the giver and taker of life. So when a baby dies today, it is God's call to take their life. Whether God uses His people to take life or whether God gives a person a heart attack, etc. is up to God to decide. The ordering of the complete slaughter of infants along with the parents is not evil because those infants were no doubt corrupted by their sinful parents. They either had some kind of sexual disease, or they were Nephilim, or they were addicted to certain drugs by the mother, etc.

Obviously something corrupted these infants in order for God to take their life along with the adults. For if these babies were pure, and untainted by sin, they would have been spared. For children are of the Kingdom of God. but we also know that the wages of sin is death. This means that they were tainted by sin in some way. We may not know the exact answer or reason why, but if we know the God of the Bible, we know that God is love and not hate. God only does that which is loving and good. So we have to conclude that God did not mindlessly wipe out these infants for no good reason. There was a reason and it no doubt had to do with sin and how that it could effect God's people (Israel). Leviticus 18 gives us one possibility as to the reason why.

Well prior to the flood, Genesis does record how badly corrupt the world was. You had fallen angels reproducing with humans, teaching them all sorts of things. In fact, most theologians i've talked to (not just christian but jewish as well) believe that the story of Noah was God wiping away the biological corruption of the world and "Noah" was a title for the only remaining fully humans of that time. Even if that theory isn't true, we can understand the flood and the reason for it.

Again, i've said it before there everything can be justified given the circumstances. Murder, Theft, disobeying your parents, and whatever can be justified under the right circumstances and what we need to find is the right circumstances that explain the genocide ordered by God towards the canaanites and other tribes. The notion of "well he is God. he can do what he wants and if he does evil it is now holy" is a horrible and vile argument that is of the same reasoning of the islamic terrorists today.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well prior to the flood, Genesis does record how badly corrupt the world was. You had fallen angels reproducing with humans, teaching them all sorts of things. In fact, most theologians i've talked to (not just christian but jewish as well) believe that the story of Noah was God wiping away the biological corruption of the world and "Noah" was a title for the only remaining fully humans of that time. Even if that theory isn't true, we can understand the flood and the reason for it.

Again, i've said it before there everything can be justified given the circumstances. Murder, Theft, disobeying your parents, and whatever can be justified under the right circumstances and what we need to find is the right circumstances that explain the genocide ordered by God towards the canaanites and other tribes. The notion of "well he is God. he can do what he wants and if he does evil it is now holy" is a horrible and vile argument that is of the same reasoning of the islamic terrorists today.

But we know based on Leviticus 18 that they were not innocent or undefiled. But we also have to understand that God did tell Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, too. Was this wrong of God to command this? Isaac did no wrong that we know of. Was God just in ordering this? I would say God is still just and fair because we know God was testing Abraham's faithfulness and we know Abraham believed that God would resurrect his son. God also stopped the event from happening, too. But that does not mean God was unfair to tell Abraham to take the life of his son Isaac.

Upvote 0

Varangian Christian

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You still cannot give a straight answer. Here is the question again:
  • What is good and evil?
I asked you to define good and evil, the nature of good and evil, and your response was completely inadequate. Answer now without dodging or shaming.

If you want to come out and say God is evil for ordering the killing of infants then do so. If that is your belief just say so and stop wasting my time.

2. In some way yes. With out evil, we won't know what good is. However another view is no, it doesn't need evil. Since God himself is good and evil is just the absence of good. It's a philosophical view that has two answers.

The second answer is right and the first answer is wrong; there is no middle ground or subjectivity. Your response shows exactly why you are having such a hard time reconciling this supposed issue and that is because you are stuck in a humanistic worldview.

Good is eternal because it is part of God's eternal nature and is defined by God. Man's perspective is entirely irrelevant. Stop looking at this issue from a human point of view, realize you have no authority or say in what is right or wrong, and the logical conclusion is easily discerned. Everything God does or commands is good no matter what it is.

Right. I am glad you will admit as much.

4. If he is a Deistic god, then no.

The correct answer is simply no. One does not have to subscribe to deism to believe God is not subject to laws He gives humanity. I have no idea where you get this idea from.

If you do believe God is subject to the laws He gives humanity then you must condemn Him as evil whenever a person dies as God killed them, which you already admitted when you agreed that God gives and takes all life. Be consistent. As I said in an earlier post, you cannot condemn God for commanding killing and at the same time not condemn Him for killing. You cannot eat your cake and have it to.

Lets go back to the ruler you brought up and then took away.

I never took the king analogy away. You simply did not understand it or you tried to twist it. Let me state yet again that the analogies purpose was to show that kings are not subject to the laws they place on their subjects and likewise God is not subject to the laws He gives us. This is a completely factual analogy and you only make yourself look foolish by opposing it.

Regardless of a ruler setting laws, it doesn't change the fact that his acts are legal.

What? Obviously law changes can make things legal that were not before! What are you even arguing at this point?

Also I think you are missing the point. My analogy shows that the king, and thus God, is not subject to the laws given to their subjects. Are you claiming God needs to make laws to allow Himself to kill or command killing?

Just because somethings are legalized doesn't change it's morality.

And now we are back to the question of whether there is a law of morality superior to God. Answer now, is God the giver, definer and embodiment of morality, or is God a subject to some moral law? If God is subject to a higher law then, pray tell, what is this law? The law of your own subjective and biased ideas of right and wrong based on secular humanism?

There are circumstances that can though, and that is what we (or atleast I) am I trying to find in regards to these OT stories: What are the circumstances that God had to order this (given that he really did)?

Of course there were circumstances for these commands but that they are entirely irrelevant. Say for example you are debating an atheist and you tell him that God ordered the infants to be killed because, as some have claimed in this thread, the babies were corrupted by nephilim genes. This accomplishes nothing. The atheist can simply say that it isn't a good enough reason, that nephilim should be allowed to live, etc, and you will have no reasonable argument against him because you will have made God's authority subjective and therefore meaningless.

Ultimately it all goes back to the fundamental question of whether God is the ultimate authority and morality is defined by and rooted in Him. If you believe this then you must also believe that God can command and do anything He wants whenever He wants for whatever reason He wants and that He is always completely good, right and justified in doing so.

Also, what do you mean by "given that he really did"? Are you denying the God-breathed inerrant nature of all Scripture? Would you dare to blaspheme God's word and His authority? If so, you have done away with divine truth, you have made the Scriptures of non effect and live a completely subjective existence.

You see, your argument is "he is God, so whatever he says he can do and it's not evil because he said so".

Exactly. If you deny this you deny God's authority and His nature as good and definer of morality, which is heretical.

The questions you've ignored is in regards to this logic: What makes you different from the Jihadists, Salem Witch Trials, or the Catholic Church during the dark ages? If you "well my god is real, so it's now good". Then what if you are wrong, and the Allah is real, does this mean that all the murders the Jihadists did is now holy?

I did not ignore this, in fact I have definitively responded to this inane argument several times already and have always given the exact same answer. Let me copy/paste what I already said:

Responses to your Argument that Terrorists have similar views to my own:

"And yes, in their worldview they are justified, but that does not matter as there is absolute good and absolute evil and both are defined by God. The Israelites when conquering Canaan had much the same justification in their beliefs as Muslims who seek to take Jerusalem have in theirs, but only one was truly justified by God and therein lies the difference."

"When a Jihadist kills in the name of Allah he may have much the same reason for feeling justified as Joshua did when he slaughtered the inhabitants of Ai, but only one is truly acting under the command of God and therein is the difference."

"Yes, i am. Are you aware that you have already asked this question several times and each time i gave you the same answer and told you that it was an inane argument? Again, a terrorist may feel he is justified in the same way Joshua was justified, but only one is actually obeying God and that is the difference."

In Response to you Questioning whether Jihadists would be right to kill if their God was the True God:

"Yes, of course it does, and I already said this so I do not see why you are repeating the question. Absolute right and wrong is based entirely on and in the person and authority of God. If you say otherwise you have set yourself up above God and are committing a grievous sin, not to mention being illogical."

"So to answer your question, if i lived in this alternate reality and this God, who i am assuming you mean to be the supreme omnipotent creator of this reality, commanded me to do the above actions would i do them? Yes, obviously. In this reality such actions would be good as good is defined by God."

Now please, stop insulting my intelligence by repeating the same questions over and over again as if they are some mic-drop argument when I have already responded to them and shown them to be foolish ad infinitum. In fact, if you are going to respond to this post please go back and read all of my previous posts to you in this thread which I linked higher up on this page.

Your views are highly scary, it is supporting a god who commits barbarianism and you are like "well, if we do it with out his command its barbaric but if he wants to do it, it's not anymore".

You are judging God like He is a human, calling Him evil and barbaric as if you had some significance and authority in creation. You are nothing. You are dust. You have no significance except that which God gives you. Repent of your blasphemies.

What makes you different from the Jihadists, Salem Witch Trials, or the Catholic Church during the dark ages?

Again, how are you Roman Catholic? Believes human reasoning trumps God's authority, doesn't like crusades or inquisitions, thus from the above it can be assumed you do not hold your church or pope to be infallible or to have more authority than your own reasoning... hmm... yes...

55781132.jpg

Upvote 0