May 23, 2005
✟100,654.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We know the Jews or more accurately the Israelite consider the tetragrammaton YHWH to be the actual name of God. So much so they do not use it in conversation replacing it with words such as Adonai and HaShem. This practise inevitability cause the actual pronunciation of the word to be lost. Today the words Yahweh & Jehovah derived from YHWH are just approximation of the actual pronunciation.

While it's a interesting topic in and of itself, my main question lies in who is Yahweh? Firstly I'm no theologian so if I misunderstood anything please correct me.

So who is Yahweh? Is he the self-existence God that proceeded all and the later usage of His name by the Canaanite for their weather deity is co-opted from the Israelite. Or is it the other way around where the Israelite co-opted the name Yahweh from the Canaanite to reference God as they know not what to call God?

If Yahweh is the God of the Israelite why doesn't Moses know Yahweh's name? Even if Moses is not raised amongst the Israelite the name of their God should be well known enough. And why when asked God only say tell Moses "I'm who I'm" (Ayer Asher Ayer) and not just say "Yahweh"?

If Yahweh like El is but of a title/label from the regional language and not a name then YHWH is nothing but a normal word. It holds not significant like the modern word of Lord. By extension the Jews and some Christians veneration of YHWH(Yahweh/Jehovah) as the name of God to be wrong and meaningless as well.

Can someone with better understanding in this matter help me?

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,654.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We know the Jews or more accurately the Israelite consider the tetragrammaton YHWH to be the actual name of God. So much so they do not use it in conversation replacing it with words such as Adonai and HaShem. This practise inevitability cause the actual pronunciation of the word to be lost. Today the words Yahweh & Jehovah derived from YHWH are just approximation of the actual pronunciation.

While it's a interesting topic in and of itself, my main question lies in who is Yahweh? Firstly I'm no theologian so if I misunderstood anything please correct me.

So who is Yahweh? Is he the self-existence God that proceeded all and the later usage of His name by the Canaanite for their weather deity is co-opted from the Israelite. Or is it the other way around where the Israelite co-opted the name Yahweh from the Canaanite to reference God as they know not what to call God?

If Yahweh is the God of the Israelite why doesn't Moses know Yahweh's name? Even if Moses is not raised amongst the Israelite the name of their God should be well known enough. And why when asked God only say tell Moses "I'm who I'm" (Ayer Asher Ayer) and not just say "Yahweh"?

If Yahweh like El is but of a title/label from the regional language and not a name then YHWH is nothing but a normal word. It holds not significance like the modern word of Lord. By extension the Jews and some Christians veneration of YHWH(Yahweh/Jehovah) as the name of God to be wrong and meaningless as well.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

If Yahweh like El is but of a title/label from the regional language and not a name then YHWH is nothing but a normal word. It holds not significant like the modern word of Lord. By extension the Jews and some Christians veneration of YHWH(Yahweh/Jehovah) as the name of God to be wrong and meaningless as well.

If you're asking bluntly what is the name of God, neither of the suggestions you mention is likely accurate. It is more the case that the name is Yahu or something similar. That name is found among Jews in a number of places such as Netanyahu.

There are some ancient documents known as the Elephantine Papyrii found in Egypt that are believed to be records created by a community of Jews circa 400 bc or so. They record the name of God as Yahou.

The Elephantine Papyrii are controversial and can cause any number of hypotheticals, but they do record the name.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,654.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If you're asking bluntly what is the name of God, neither of the suggestions you mention is likely accurate. It is more the case that the name is Yahu or something similar. That name is found among Jews in a number of places such as Netanyahu.

There are some ancient documents known as the Elephantine Papyrii found in Egypt that are believed to be records created by a community of Jews circa 400 bc or so. They record the name of God as Yahou.

The Elephantine Papyrii are controversial and can cause any number of hypotheticals, but they do record the name.

Never knew there was this document. Thanks for the info. Would be an interesting read. But wouldn't 5th century BC be much much later then the formation of Canaanite religion in 2nd millennium BC? Then the word YHWH would have existed long before the papyri making the Yahuo inclusion as derivative from YHWH?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,654.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The use of “Jehovah” has its issues too.

Short but convincing video:

OK I chuckled a bit ^_^. The ascents made it work.

The core of it is I pretty am in agreement with the usage of Yahweh/Jehovah. It has been my understanding the Israelite lost the actual pronunciation long ago.

Question is still is YHWH the actual name?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Never knew there was this document. Thanks for the info. Would be an interesting read. But wouldn't 5th century BC be much much later then the formation of Canaanite religion in 2nd millennium BC? Then the word YHWH would have existed long before the papyri making the Yahuo inclusion as derivative from YHWH?

That may well be the case. But it might also be that the Canaanites, being polytheistic, considered YHVH to be a god among many.

I read an account once of a missionary speaking with a Hindu family about Jesus. Afterwards they put a crucifix up on the shelf next to the images of all their other gods.

I suppose that in the future some archaeologists might mistake Jesus for just another god among the Hindus.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Two things worth pointing out:

1. When God first introduces Himself to Moses, He first says: "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." and not YHWH. Meaning, He is not a foreign God to Moses. Only afterwards, when Moses probes into asking who God is, does He reveal Himself as YHWH; I AM WHO I AM. Throughout Church history, a lot of ink has been spilt over this, but I think the main point to take away from it is that God is one, almighty, everlasting, good, personal and faithful.

2. In the New Testament, Christ is revealed as YHWH; that is the Word in flesh (John 1). For example, in Joel 2:32 it reads: "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD (YHWH) shall be saved." Paul references this verse and applies the word LORD (YHWH) to Christ in Romans 10:9-13. So the way Paul uses "Lord" is not a generic "lord", but "God". Or another example, when Christ said "Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.", Christ is applying God's holy name to Himself. So in other words, to know who YHWH is, we should always look to the person and works of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,654.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
1. When God first introduces Himself to Moses, He first says: "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." and not YHWH. Meaning, He is not a foreign God to Moses. Only afterwards, when Moses probes into asking who God is, does He reveal Himself as YHWH; I AM WHO I AM. Throughout Church history, a lot of ink has been spilt over this, but I think the main point to take away from it is that God is one, almighty, everlasting, good, personal and faithful.

From what I read, earliest written Torah dates back to about 10th century. Long after the word YHWH existed. It could be a case of retroactive edit to use the word YHWH by the scribes base on linguistic influence of the Canaanites. Or it could have been the case that the early Hebrews influencing the surrounding people that they added YHWH into their own pantheon as pointed out by others here.

"I am who I am" is not derived from YHWH as it has different root word.

2. In the New Testament, Christ is revealed as YHWH; that is the Word in flesh (John 1). For example, in Joel 2:32 it reads: "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD (YHWH) shall be saved." Paul references this verse and applies the word LORD (YHWH) to Christ in Romans 10:9-13. So the way Paul uses "Lord" is not a generic "lord", but "God". Or another example, when Christ said "Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.", Christ is applying God's holy name to Himself. So in other words, to know who YHWH is, we should always look to the person and works of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament is written in Greek, the word YHWH is not used its written as Theos/Deos meaning God.

Personally I don't believe God has a name. Being the one and only why does He need a name? To differentiate Him from all the other gods? Nothing in existence is in the same category as Him. When I read "I am who I am", God isn't telling Moses His name but merely describing what He is. Undefinable. He will be what He is.

When God gave Himself the name Jesus (Yeshua) it is not merely a name but the accumulation of His salvation. For Yeshua means "to deliver" or "to safe".

That's my understanding at least.

Oh by the way everyone... Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas:christmastree:

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
From what I read, earliest written Torah dates back to about 10th century. Long after the word YHWH existed. It could be a case of retroactive edit to use the word YHWH by the scribes base on linguistic influence of the Canaanites. Or it could have been the case that the early Hebrews influencing the surrounding people that they added YHWH into their own pantheon as pointed out by others here.

"I am who I am" is not derived from YHWH as it has different root word.

That's a very problematic position to take if you believe that Moses is the author and Scriptures being the true and inspired Word of God. I don't know what your sources are, but I'd be cautious of falling into the rabbit hole of higher criticism commentary if I were you.

The New Testament is written in Greek, the word YHWH is not used its written as Theos/Deos meaning God.

Sorry, some confusion here. Paul spoke both Hebrew and Greek (Acts 21-22) - perhaps Aramaic and some Latin too. He wrote his epistles in Greek and would have been familiar with both the Hebrew and Greek OT. In the LXX (the Greek OT) "Kyrios" is used in place of YHWH. Point being, when Paul referenced Joel 2:32 and applies this "Kyrios" to Jesus, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew YHWH (which he undoubtedly knew), he is calling Jesus YHWH. In other words, he identifies Jesus as God in flesh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnRemnant

Jul 3, 2022
NYC
✟4,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The four sacred consonants should read YHVH in English. The w is from theories in language studies.
But the actual letters used, are locked into the manuscripts of The Bible in four to five passages whereby it can't be missed. The vowelization was added later, by Masoretic text if I remember whereby the human tongue may venture a pronunciation.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Check out this thread: "Nomads of Yahweh" hieroglyphic in Sudan

I believe YHWH is pronounced "Yah-who-ah".

Upvote 0

Mosheli

Jul 1, 2020
Wellington
✟40,682.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Question is still is YHWH the actual name?

I think Yhwh/Jhvh is his name like Yeshua/Jesus is Christ's name.
If you read Genesis you will find that the patriarchs used the name Yhwh/Jhvh long before Moses etc.

God said I am Yhwh Gen 15:7, 18:14, 19, 28:13, Exod 3:15-16, 18
God said El/Eloah/Elohim Gen 9:6, 16, 17:7-8, 26:24, 28:13, 31:13, 35:1, 46:3, Exo 3:6, 12, 15-16, 18
God said El Shaddai Gen 17:1, 35:11
God said I Am Gen 15:7, 17:11, 26:24, 28:13, 31:13, 35:11, 46:3, Exod 3:6, 14
Angel of the Lord said Yhwh Gen 16:11, 22:16
Angel of God said El/Elohim Gen 21:17, 22:12, 32:28
Angels said Yhwh Gen 19:13-14
Eve said Yhwh Gen 4:1
Eve said El/Elohim Gen 3:3, 4:25
The Serpent said El/Elohim Gen 3:1, 5
Men called/defied Yhwh Gen 4:26
Mehujael & Methushael & Mahalalel have El in them.
Lamech said Yhwh Gen 5:29
Noah said Yhwh Gen 9:26
Noah said El/Elohim Gen 9:26-27
Elishah's & Elam's name have El in it Gen 10
A saying says Yhwh Gen 10:9, 22:14
Abram/Abraham called on Yhwh Gen 12:8, 13:4, 21:33
Abraham said Yhwh Gen 14:22, 15:2, 15:8, 22:14, 24:3, 7, 40
Abraham said Adonai Gen 15:2, 8, 18:27, 30-32
Abraham said El/Elohim Gen 20:11, 13, 22:8, 24:3, 7
Abraham said El Eliyon Gen 14:22
Abraham called on El/Elohim Gen 21:33
Melchizedek said El Eliyon Gen 14:19-20
Sarai/Sarah said Yhwh Gen 16:2, 5
Sarah said El/Elohim Gen 21:6
Hagar called on Yhwh Gen 16:13
Hagar said El/Elohim Gen 16:13
Ishmael's name has El in it.
Abimelech said Adonai Gen 20:4
Hittites said El/Elohim Gen 23:6
Eleazar said Yhwh Gen 24:12, 27, 35, 42, 44, 48, 56
Eleazar said El/Elohim Gen 24:12, 27, 42, 48
Laban said Yhwh Gen 24:31, 50-51, 30:27, 30, 31:49
Laban said El/Elohim Gen 31:29, 50, 53
Isaac entreated Yhwh Gen 25:21
Rebekah inquired of Yhwh Gen 25:22
Isaac said Yhwh Gen 26:22, 27:7, 27
Isaac called on name of Yhwh Gen 26:25
Isaac said El/Elohim Gen 27:28, 28:4
Isaac said El Shaddai Gen 28:3
Abimelech said Yhwh Gen 26:28-29
Abimelech said El/Elohim Gen 21:22-23
Jacob(-el)'s name has El/Elohim in it.
Israel's name has El/Elohim in it
Jacob said Yhwh Gen 27:20, 28:16, 21, 32:9, 49:18
Jacob/Isarel said El/Elohim Gen 27:20, 28:17, 20-22, 30:2, 31:5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 42, 32:2, 9, 30, 33:5, 10-11, 35:3, 7, 48:11, 15, 20-21, 49:25
Jacob said Mighty One of Jacob 49:24
Jacob said El Elohe Gen 33:20
Jacob said El Shaddai Gen 43:14, 48:3
Bethel has El/Elohim in it Gen 28:17, 22, 35:7
Peniel has El/Elohim in it Gen 32:30
Leah said Yhwh Gen 29:32-33, 35
Leah said El/Elohim Gen 30:18, 20, 31:16
Rachel said Yhwh Gen 30:24
Rachel said El/Elohim Gen 30:6, 23, 31:16
Judah's name has Yhwh in it Gen 29:35
Judah said El/Elohim Gen 44:16
Yahuwesph/Joseph's name has Yhwh in it Gen 30:24
Joseph said El/Elohim Gen 39:9, 40:8, 41:16, 25, 28, 32, 51-52, 42:18, 43:29, 45:5, 7-9, 48:9, 50:19-20, 24-25
Joseph's brothers said El/Elohim Gen 42:28, 50:17
Joseph's steward said El/Elohim (or Neter?) Gen 43:23
Pharaoh said El/Elohim Gen 41:38-39
Moses said Yhwh Exod 4:1
Moses said El/Elohim Exod 3:13.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My heart and mind nearly always goes to John 8:48-59 where Jesus responds to the Jews' reaction to a comment he made regarding Abraham.
"Before Abraham was, I Am.

But I don't claim to have specific understanding on this issue.

Upvote 0

notworthconsideration

Jul 6, 2023
Biblebelt, Fl
✟9,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

YHWH basically means ‘to cause to breathe.’ YHWH gives life through His breath.

The name YHWH existed more than 1000+ years before any known nations were established, however, many nations knew of the god named YHWH and seem to have adopted the name into their arsenal of gods.

The pronunciation is done with an exhaling breath, as all the letters are actually vowels…
ee- eh- oo- eh- (Yeh-weh, or yeh-oo-eh)

Reactions: byword
Upvote 0