Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even though we don't plan on having kids, we still have a list of names we like too. Kinda weird.

Yeah, I just don't get it; I couldn't help but notice the title of the thread in THIS forum:

"Childfree Couples A new forum for couples who choose not to have children".

Why would couple who "choose *not* to have children" have a list of names also chosen?? Are we "planning" to have "oops"? Isn't that kind of like saying "I'm never going fishing, but I enjoy buying all the fishing poles, bait and tackle"?

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I just don't get it; I couldn't help but notice the title of the thread in THIS forum:

Why would couple who "choose *not* to have children" have a list of names also chosen?? Are we "planning" to have "oops"? Isn't that kind of like saying "I'm never going fishing, but I enjoy buying all the fishing poles, bait and tackle"?

I pick out names for fictional characters in stories I write. I have done this since I was in elementary school :)

Upvote 0

cherryblossom03

I am Batman!
Aug 7, 2007
Fort Campbell, KY
✟8,430.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The names dh and I have picked out came from when we were engaged*. He was deploying and if we had found out that I was pregnant after he left, that is where the names would've come in. We didn't decide not to have any kids till after we were married.

*We were both Christians when we were engaged, but neither of us was walking with the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Well, I'm just weird I guess. :sorry:

And it's not "just in case", because I don't think we will actually need the list (I'm definitely not planning to have an oops) - it's for fun. I think getting to name someone - your own child - is one of the nicest things about parenthood. I do not care for most of the other bits, so making a list is a nice compromise.

Also, I've had a list ever since high school (and I didn't become childfree until I met my husband). Like invisiblebabe I've also used it for fictional characters. And I use it for cats. But I agree, it is weird. Which is alright. :)

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know 100% that I will not have kids. My husband was fixed before I met him, and I have since lost my uterus somewhere. (I keep meaning to check the Lost and Found....)

But, I still know what I'd name my kids if I ever had them. It doesn't mean anything. I'm still child free and always will be. It's just a fun what-if thing.

Upvote 0

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, so I'm not sure if I qualify to post in this area or not... My hubby and I have decided not to have kids for at least another 3 years. (But we do eventually plan on having 3 kids.)

As far as wierd baby names go... I had to laugh when I read some of those on the list! E- What kind of name is that?

My hubby has a common name, but it has a German spelling. Not the American spelling. Micheal.
I also have a nephew named Slade (they actually found it in a baby name book) and a neice name Tacy (which always confuses my grandpa, because we have a cousin named Stacy). My little sister's name is Jaylene (my dad held a contest at his office for a baby name that started with J.) I have a friend named Rahel. (School for her was always a problem, because the teachers would think her name was Rachel and that someone just forgot to put the C in it.) I also have a friend named Trifine (pronounced Tra-fee-na)... But considering her heritage, it's actually a cool name.

So yeah, I know a number of people with strange names. And when we do have kids my hubby has said if we ever have a boy his name is going to be Tyaque Richinsky (I'm not even sure how to spell it) But I want Christopher Phillip. (I love the name Christopher, and Phillip was my grandpa's name.)

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just going along with some more what-ifs.

If any kid is dumb enough to hang around me they'd better be prepared for some pretty unusual names...

Tron
Timber Wolf
Summoner
Combustion
Flint
Fire
PRINT
Burned
Dialogue
Fortran
Game over man! It's game over!
Inquisitor Toth
Fedora
Vista
Jim Raynor
GOTO
Thrall
Doom Hammer
Maya
Doom
THX 1138
Lustre
TOR
Onion
Queen of Blades
Master Chief
DO LOOP
Dream-Time Return
Quake

I think a child's name should strike FEAR into the hearts of people ;) Ah...attendance would be fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so I'm not sure if I qualify to post in this area or not... My hubby and I have decided not to have kids for at least another 3 years. (But we do eventually plan on having 3 kids.)
Welcome jelvenko! :wave: Yes, it's alright to post here, childfree or not, as long as you respect our choice to not have children.

My hubby has a common name, but it has a German spelling. Not the American spelling. Micheal.
The German spelling of the name Michael is Michael. They pronounce it differently, but the spelling is the same.

Upvote 0

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome jelvenko! :wave: Yes, it's alright to post here, childfree or not, as long as you respect our choice to not have children.

The German spelling of the name Michael is Michael. They pronounce it differently, but the spelling is the same.

Thanks for the welcome. I have absolutely no problem with couples deciding to be child-free. My aunt and uncle never had any kids. Their toy poodle was their baby. So we would joke around that it was our "cousin Fluffy." I'm not going to try and convince anyone that they should or should not have kids, it's their own decision to make...

Well, my hubby has always said his is the German spelling of it... And his name is spelled Micheal. He might have been told at one point in time that's the German spelling... I'm not going to try and correct him though.
I had to laugh, because a couple of weeks ago when he went to the dentist, they called him Michelle. It was funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I'm not technically child free (I have one growing) the whole name thing is something we're currently dealing with. It's AMAZING the plethora of idiotic names out there.

My mom had her heart set on Neveah- Heaven backwards. Neveah. I think it's incredibly stupid and over the top trendy.

I also hate the city names as kids names- London, Sydney, Kingston, Brooklyn. :sick:

It also seems a shame that really classic pretty names are becoming super popular- Emily, Olivia etc.

So yeah naming our child has been a challenge. In fact we still don't have a name picked out for her yet. She;s due in 3 months. Part of that has to do with the fact that I would liek to see her before choosing her name, but even narrowing it down to a few that I like was hard. Trying to find a name that is not overly trendy, something classic and timeless.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is funny that people at a supposedly child free area choose this topic. It is like a Satanist area choosing to pick at Christian names. Is it not? If you choose to be against children then celebrate the distinction. Do not hide it!

This is not a "supposedly" child free area. It is a child free area. But we welcome those with children, or those who want children, to post here because we are not poopy-heads.

And we're not "against children", we just don't want them for ourselves. We discuss children and child-related issues quite a bit in this forum, actually.

It also seems a shame that really classic pretty names are becoming super popular- Emily, Olivia etc.

... Part of that has to do with the fact that I would liek to see her before choosing her name, but even narrowing it down to a few that I like was hard. Trying to find a name that is not overly trendy, something classic and timeless.

I agree with you. Emma, Emily, Olivia, those are all beautiful classic names that have become far too popular and trendy. It's all cyclical so in 20 years those names will be less common again. A lot of classic names never seem to make that comeback though. How many people are naming their kids Mary or Cathy these days, you know?

I agree with you about seeing the baby first. I've known a lot of people to do that over the years and they say they just get a sense after seeing their child of what name would suit them. One girl I knew in high school, her little sister didn't have a name for two months while they tried to get to know her well enough to choose one.

Upvote 0

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know the song - I was country before country was cool?? - well, I was Emily before Emily was cool ;)

I'm glad the name is more popular; I know very few Emily's my age. It does seem a bit overused though - but back in the late 70s Jennifer was all the rage.

Upvote 0