Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
New in the sense that we have no evidence that these 10 commandments of the covenant, that Moses wrote on the second set of tablets, were not written in the first set of tablets. I personally don't believe that they were new; as all of YHWH's sabbaths are eternal; and I don't believe that there was a time when it was permissible to worship other gods.

(1.)

(CLV) Ex 34:14
For you shall not bow yourself down to another el (for Yahweh, Jealous is His Name; He is a jealous El)

(2.)

(CLV) Ex 34:17
Molten elohim you shall not make for yourself.

(3.)

(CLV) Ex 34:18
The festival of unleavened bread shall you observe seven days. You shall eat unleavened bread just was I have instructed you for the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in the month of Abib you came forth from Egypt.

(4.)

(CLV) Ex 34:19
Everyone opening up the womb is Mine, everyone of your male cattle, the one opening up of the kine and of the flockling.

(5.)

(CLV) Ex 34:21
Six days shall you serve, and in the seventh day you shall cease; in plowing time and in harvest shall you cease.

(6-7)

(CLV) Ex 34:22
The festival of weeks shall you dobserve for yourself, the firstfruits of the wheat harvest and the festival of the ingathering at the revolution of the year.

(8-9)

(CLV) Ex 34:25
You shall not slayoffer the blood of My sacrifice onwith what is leavened, nor shall the sacrifice of the passover festival lodge unto the morning.

(10)

(CLV) Ex 34:26
The beginning of the firstfruits of your ground shall you bring to the house of Yahweh your Elohim. You shall not cook a kid in the milk of its mother.
Goodness HARK!. No, the above scriptures are not the 10 commandments and not what God wrote on the tables of stone... The 10 commandments are not written in Exodus 34 in your OP dear friend. They are specified however in Exodus 20:1-17.

Exodus 34 is about God (not Moses) re-writing the 10 commandments on tables of stone again after Moses broke the first tables of stone after coming down the Mountain when he saw the children of Israel worshiping the golden calf after God wrote them on the first tables of stone on his way down from the Mount *Exodus 32:1-19. God told Moses to cut out two tables of stone and He will write on those stones which is the context of Exodus 34...

Exodus 34:1-2 [1], And THE LORD SAID TO MOSES, Hew you two tables of stone like to the first: and I WILL WRITE ON THESE TABLES THE WORDS THAT WERE IN THE FIRST TABLES, which you brake.[2], And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning to mount Sinai, and present yourself there to me in the top of the mount.

According to God's Word (not mine) God said he was going to write on the second tables of stone the second time and God (not me) said He was going to write the same words that were on the first tables of stone. Now HARK! they are Gods' Word not mine. You of course are free to believe as you wish.

God asked Moses however to write what was written in Exodus 34:11-26 though according to the scriptures this was in a book not on stone.
I'm not ignoring the context of verse 1. However you seem to be missing the context of verse 28, and everything between verse 1, that leads up to verse 28. If we ignore verses 2-27; I can understand why verse 28 might seem out of context. Personally, I don't ignore any of YHWH's eternal Moedim. We've been over this already. "Nuh - uh" isn't a valid counterargument. Where does any reference that you've cited, prove that YHWH wrote the commandments that I outlined with his own finger. He didn't. He wrote the other 10 with his own finger. Moses wrote the ones I outlined. Verse 28 makes that clear. I choose not to skirt around everything between verses 1 and 28, as an excuse to abstain from YHWH's eternal Moedim, his kadosh Shabbats. I hope this helps.
God asked Moses however to write what was written in Exodus 34:11-26 though according to the scriptures this was in a book not on stone.

Deuteronomy 31:34-36 [24], And it came to pass, when MOSES HAD MADE AN END OF WRITING THE WORDS OF THE LAW IN A BOOK, until they were finished, [25], That Moses commanded the Levites, which bore the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, [26], TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, AND PUT IT IN THE SIDE OF THE ARK of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.

If you look at Exodus 34:27-28 that you quote, it does not say that Moses wrote the 10 commandments on tables of stone. It says God did. God told Moses to write what he said in Exodus 34:11-26 which were a part of the old covenant with Israel *Exodus 34:27.

Let's look at the scripture you rely one while ignoring the context of Exodus 34:1 that disagrees with your interpretation...

Exodus 34:27-28 says.. [27], And the LORD said to Moses, Write you these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

God told Moses to write those words *Exodus 34:11-26. It does not say Moses wrote those words on tables of stone when God had already said in Exodus 34:1 that he was going to re-write the same set of ten that Moses broke the first time. The scriptures specifically state that what God told Moses to write he wrote down in a Book *Exodus 24:7

[28], And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And "he wrote" on the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The Hebrew idiom allows us to regard Jehovah as the nominative to the verb “wrote;” the relative pronoun being here referred to the remoter antecedent in Hebrew of which there are many examples in the old testament scriptures. This then agrees with the scripture contexts of Exodus 34:1 and with Deuteronomy 10:2; Deuteronomy 10:4. Thus the second tables are to be viewed as “written with the finger of God” no less than the first (Exodus 31:18; Exodus 32:16). It is distinctly declared "He" (God) "wrote on the tables according to the scripture context in Exodus 34:1. We must therefore regard "he" in this passage as meaning "the Lord," which is quite possible according to the Hebrew idiom. Exodus 34:28. Your interpretation therefore does not agree with the scripture or it's context shown in v1.

Please don't say "Nuh-huh" when you have been shown through the scriptures the context your ignoring and how your interpretation of Exodus 34 contradicts the teachings and writings of the Torah.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Goodness HARK!. No, they are not the 10 commandments

Scripture refutes that.

and not what God wrote on the tables of stone...

I didn't say that he did. Moses did. So it is written.

The 10 commandments are not written in Exodus 34 in your OP

I numbered them for you. Please explain why on earth they would be stuffed in between verses 1 and 28 if they bear no relevance to verse 1 nor verse 28. That would be completely out of context.

They are specified however in Exodus 20:1-17.

Different 10; but I said that already. We're going in circles here.

and Moses. That why Moses is mentioned.

(not Moses)

Nope. Moses is mentioned.

re-writing the 10 commandments on tables of stone

That's in verse 1. It didnt take YHWH 40 days to do his part, as described after all of the commandments leading up to verse 28.

Not according to verse 28. He wrote them on the tablets.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you look at Exodus 34:27-28 that you quote, it does not say that Moses wrote the 10 commandments on tables of stone. It says God did.

Again YHWH didn't spend forty days without food nor water writing his part. I said this already. We're going in circles here.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Scripture refutes that.

I didn't say that he did. Moses did. So it is written.

I numbered them for you. Please explain why on earth they would be stuffed in between verses 1 and 28 if they bear no relevance to verse 1 nor verse 28. That would be completely out of context.

Different 10; but I said that already. We're going in circles here.

and Moses. That why Moses is mentioned.

Nope. Moses is mentioned.

That's in verse 1. It didnt take YHWH 40 days to do his part, as described after all of the commandments leading up to verse 28.

Not according to verse 28. He wrote them on the tablets.

Actually no, scripture refutes what your claiming I only posted the context your ignoring in Exodus 34:1 where God says he re-wrote the same 10 commandments that he wrote the first time. Then you were shown how the Hebrew does not mean Moses wrote the 10 commandments in Exodus 34:27-28. Of course you are free to believe as you wish. I prefer to believe what God says and have only posted Gods' Word that disagrees with your words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Again YHWH didn't spend forty days without food nor water writing his part. I said this already. We're going in circles here.

No one said he did. Exodus 34:28 says.. [28], And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And "he wrote" on the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The Hebrew idiom allows us to regard Jehovah as the nominative to the verb “wrote;” the relative pronoun being here referred to the remoter antecedent in Hebrew of which there are many examples in the old testament scriptures. This then agrees with the scripture contexts of Exodus 34:1 and with Deuteronomy 10:2; Deuteronomy 10:4. Thus the second tables are to be viewed as “written with the finger of God” no less than the first (Exodus 31:18; Exodus 32:16). It is distinctly declared "He" (God) "wrote on the tables according to the scripture context in Exodus 34:1. We must therefore regard "he" in this passage as meaning "the Lord," which is quite possible according to the Hebrew idiom. Exodus 34:28.

Your interpretation therefore does not agree with the scripture or it's context shown in v1 which says God wrote the 10 commandments with exactly the same content as the first set.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Hebrew idiom allows us to regard Jehovah as the nominative to the verb “wrote;” the relative pronoun being here referred to the remoter antecedent in Hebrew of which there are many examples in the old testament scriptures.

I don't look to Bible Hub for my doctrine. The guy who wrote that probably doesn't even honor the Sabbath. Why would he honor YHWH's eternal Moedim?

He too seems to skirt around everything between verse 1 and verse 28.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't look to Bible Hub for my doctrine. The guy who wrote that probably doesn't even honor the Sabbath. Why would he honor YHWH's eternal Moedim?
He too seems to skirt around everything between verse 1 and verse 28.

Sadly no one can know God's Word without His Spirit. Something I guess we should all pray about. Your interpretation of Exodus 34 is not biblical according to the scriptures already shared with you dear friend, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Actually no, scripture refutes what your claiming I only posted the context your ignoring in Exodus 34:1 where God says he re-wrote the same 10 commandments that he wrote the first time. Then you were shown how the Hebrew does not mean Moses wrote the 10 commandments in Exodus 34:27:28. Of course you are free to believe as you wish. I prefer to believe what God says and have only posted Gods' Word that disagrees with your words.

I don't believe that scripture speaks in non sequiturs. I also don't believe that scripture contradicts itself.

Of course you are free to believe as you wish.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that scripture speaks in non sequiturs. I also don't believe that scripture contradicts itself.

Of course you are free to believe as you wish.
Yet here we are, with your interpretation of Exodus 34 contradicting itself having God saying he will write the 10 commandments the same as the first set of tables in Exodus 34:1 that Moses broke in Exodus 32:16-19 and you saying "no Moses wrote them with a different set of commandments". Perhaps you need to look up the meaning of "contradiction". That seems like a pretty big contradiction of the scriptures in my view. Not sure why you cannot see this to be honest. I think that is enough for me HARK!.

Thanks for the discussion. :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sadly no one can know God's Word without His Spirit. Something I guess we should all pray about.

The Ruach HaKodesh led me to keep YHWH's eternal Moedim, 40 years ago. I had no one to rely on but YHWH, Yahshua, the Ruach HaKodesh, and scripture. I did start talking to Jews about scripture as often as I could; but they didn't accept Messiah. I did however convince one to read the Brit Chadasha. Not that I talked him into it. He started reading it on his own; because, I started making sense to him. Pretty amazing since our conversations started off with "Jesus never existed. It's fiction."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yet here we are, and your interpretation of Exodus 34 is contradicting itself having God saying he will write the 10 commandments the same as the first set of tables in Exodus 34:1 and you saying no Moses wrote them with a different set of commandments. Perhaps you need to look up the meaning of "contradiction". That seems like a pretty big contradiction of the scriptures in my view. Not sure why you cannot see this to be honest. I think that is enough for me HARK!

Thanks for the discussion.

It seems that you're stumbling with understanding that the 10 that YHWH wrote, were different than the 10 that Moses wrote. This is key.

If Moses didn't write the the ten that led up to verse 28; then why mention them?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ex commandments... Sabbath honor Creator
Ex 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Deut commandments.. Sabbath honor Redeemer.
Deut 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. 15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Ex commandments are the first and foremost.. God cut and wrote on the stone the TEN
Israel worshipped the calf.
Deut commandments came with the covenant for Israel.... Moses cut and God wrote the TEN and Moses wrote the covenant on parchment.
Deuteronomy 10:1-4 At that time the Lord said to me, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones and come up to me on the mountain. Also make a wooden chest. I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. Then you are to put them in the chest."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ex 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Deut 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. 15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Ex commandments are the first and foremost.. God cut and wrote on the stone the TEN
Deut commandments came with the covenant for Israel.... Moses cut and God wrote the TEN and Moses wrote the covenant on parchment.
Deuteronomy 10:1-4 At that time the Lord said to me, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones and come up to me on the mountain. Also make a wooden chest. I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. Then you are to put them in the chest."

Indeed they were "the same" as both Deut 10:1-4 and Ex 34:1 point out.

The exact same "Ten words" that were spoken directly to Israel at Sinai. There are no "new stones chisled" in Deut 5 which is 40 years later - rather Deuteronomy was in the form of a summary of their 40 year history

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you're stumbling with understanding that the 10 that YHWH wrote, were different than the 10 that Moses wrote. This is key.

Moses did not write anything on stone... God is the only one who wrote on stone according to Ex 34:1 and Deut 4:13 and Deut 10:4

If Moses didn't write the the ten that led up to verse 28; then why mention them?
The "other commandments" in Ex 34 included 3 repeats of the actual Ten spoken by God and written by God. Moses wrote large sections of Exodus and Leviticus on paper. God wrote on stone.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Well written.... WINNER! Sorry I cannot rate posts at the moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The pronoun "He" is used twice -- and the pronoun refers to two different people as shown here #13
in the case of Abraham paying tithes - Gen 14
And in the case of the temptation in the wilderness.. Matt 4.
And in the case of God and Moses in Ex 34:1 vs Ex 34:28

If we were not paying attention to that context switch then:
1. we would have Moses writing the Ten in Ex 34:28 even though Ex 34:1 says it was God doing it...
2. and we would have Christ telling Satan to through himself down off the temple in Matt 4 where Christ is the "He" of 4:4 and then also the "he" of vs 5 using that flawed method...
3. and we would have the King of Salem paying Abraham tithes in Gen 14 - where "he" in vs 19 is the King and then we force "he" in vs 20 to also be the King... which messes up the text as we know from later references to this event in scripture. (The same way we know not to mess up Ex 34:28).

If we stopped paying attention to those context switches a whole lot of the Bible would "change".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

In Exodus 34:28 it is Moses who is writing a second set of 10 commandments on stone. Notice that it is a different set of commandments. No ambiguity there. It wasn't YHWH who was there for forty days and forty nights without bread and water. No ambiguity there.

40 years later as Moses summarized it
The Ten Words Deut 4:13 - the same ten words spoken at Sinai Assembly spoken by God to the people
Are the same Ten words in Deut 5:22 --- 40 years later
Are the same Ten Words Deut 10:1-4 that God writes on stone - when the second tablets were made.

Deut 4
10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, that I may have them hear My words so that they may learn to fear Me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.’ 11 You came forward and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain was burning with fire to the heart of the heavens: darkness, cloud, and thick gloom.
12 Then the LORD (YHWH) spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—there was only a voice. 13 So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten (Words) Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

The very next verse:

(CLV) Dt 4:14
And Yahweh instructed me at that time to teach you statutes and ordinances, for you to do them in the land where you are crossing over to tenant it.

Yes we all agree that God gave Moses a lot more than "the ten words" spoken directly to the people at Sinai on that day of assembly when they asked God not to speak any more directly to them.

Moses wrote all of that on paper of some sort.

So then 40 years later Moses summarizes it - just as you point out

(CLV) Dt 4:15
You must be very much on guard ›against your soulish desires (since you saw not physical representation at all ion the day Yahweh spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire)

(CLV) Dt 4:16
lest you should bring ruin on yourselves and make for yourselves a carving, a physical representation of any figure, a model of male or female,

Wait a minute. Didn't YHWH write this with his own finger?

Those words are written by Moses in Deut 4 - forty years later as he summarized the entire 40 years ... Deut 4 reminds them not only of "the ten words" spoken directly to the people for the first tablets of stone - "the Ten Words" but also reminds them of a lot of other details given at that time and afterwards..

(CLV) Ex 34:17
Molten elohim you shall not make for yourself.
The very next verse:

(CLV) Dt 4:14
And Yahweh instructed me at that time to teach you statutes and ordinances, for you to do them in the land where you are crossing over to tenant it.

Indeed when not speaking directly to the people "the Ten Words" God did give Moses the book of Leviticus, and a lot of Exodus to write at that time - not just "the Ten Words" spoken directly by God to Israel audibly from the mountain on that day of assembly.

But all those other instructions did not "change the Ten Words" written in stone.

As you keep pointing out God gives the command about not making idols a number of times
(- but not two or three times on the stone tablets - in the "Ten Words")

Upvote 0