US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Tens Commandments were written in stone, on the Tablets of the Covenant, and placed in the Ark, that was placed in the holy of holies.

Exodus 34
King James Version

34 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

2 And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.

3 And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.

4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

5 And the Lord descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord.

6 And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.

9 And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O Lord, let my Lord, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

10 And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the Lord: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.

11 Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.

12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

19 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

23 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel.

24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the Lord thy God thrice in the year.

25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

27 And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Loaves and Fishes

Dec 25, 2020
canada
✟16,843.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Tens Commandments were written in stone, on the Tablets of the Covenant, and placed in the Ark, that was placed in the holy of holies.

Exodus 34
King James Version

34 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

2 And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.

3 And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.

4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

5 And the Lord descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord.

6 And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

9 And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O Lord, let my Lord, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

10 And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the Lord: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.

11 Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.

12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

19 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

20 But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

23 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel.

24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the Lord thy God thrice in the year.

25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

27 And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

1 John 5:3...For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 34
King James Version

Ex 34 is not the Ten Commandments - it is an account of God "writing them again" while also giving other commands not in the Ten.

"cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables...And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

A. So then when Jesus said in Matt 19 "Keep the Commandments" and is asked "which ones" - he quotes from spoken version in Ex 20 which was written in Ex 24... and written again by God in Ex 34..

Matt 19
if you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said,
“You shall not commit murder; Ex 20
You shall not commit adultery; Ex 20
You shall not steal; Ex 20
You shall not give false testimony; Ex 20
19 Honor your father and mother; Ex 20

and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Lev 19:18

B. And Ex 34 is not the list of TEN Commandments where “the first commandment with a promise is Honor your father and mother” Eph 6:1-2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ex 34 is not the Ten Commandments

Did you read Ex 34:28? If scripyure says they are the 10 commandments; they are.

and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Lev 19:18

That's not in the 10 commandments; but it is the second greatest commandment.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did you read Ex 34:28? If scripyure says they are the 10 commandments; they are.

It does not say that the words spoken in Ex 34 are the TEN - rather it says the ones spoken in Ex 20 and written on stone in Ex 24 are the Ten

"cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables...And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

And it says in Ex 34 that God would write those very same words again on stone.
which He does in Ex 34 (while speaking a bunch of other commands not at all in Ex 20 and leaving out commands that are in Ex 20).. Which is not a problem since the very same words as in Ex 20 written in Ex 24 are being being written again on stone though not spoken again in Ex 34.

and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables..

Ex 24 says that what was written on the first tables is what was spoken in Ex 20
12 Now the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to Me on the mountain and stay there, and I will give you the stone tablets with the Law and the commandments which I have written for their instruction.”
Ex 31:18 When He had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.

Ex 34 is not the Commandments of God mentioned in Eph 6:1-2 where "the first commandment with a promise is honor your father and mother" in fact that commandment is deleted from Ex 34. Which is not an issue since God is writting it "again" in Ex 34.

So also is "do not take God's name in vain" deleted from Ex 34 -- Which is also not an issue since God is writting it "again" in Ex 34.

40 years later Moses summarized it this way.

Deut 5

2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, all of us who are alive here today. 4 The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain from the midst of the fire, 5 while I was standing between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire,

22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain from the midst of the fire, from the cloud, and from the thick darkness, with a great voice, and He added nothing more. He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It does not say that the words spoken in Ex 34 are the TEN - rather it says the ones spoken in Ex 20 and written on stone in Ex 24 are the Ten

Both are the Ten Commandments, 10 written by YHWH, 10 written by Moses, according to YHWH's word.

28 And he (Moses) was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he (Moses) did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he (Moses) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

This could well explain why the tablets were inscribed on both sides

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Both are the Ten Commandments
???

Ex 34 says that what is written on stone in Ex 34 is exactly what was on the first set of tablets.

Ex 34: "cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables...And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

Deut 5 says "He added no more"

Ex 34 -- the first command with a promise:

This could well explain why the tablets were inscribed on both sides

So then vs 14 do not worship other gods repeated on "both sides" of the one tablet and also vs 21 - a snip from the 4th commandment repeated "on both sides" of the one tablet, and vs 17 make no graven images repeated "on both sides"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
???

Ex 34 says that what is written on stone in Ex 34 is exactly what was on the first set of tablets.

Ex 34: "cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables...And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

Deut 5 says "He added no more"

Ex 34 -- the first command with a promise:

That's right; Duet 5 says that YHWH wrote no more; but then...

...YHWH told Moses to write more.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 34
King James Version

HARK! Not quite sure what your saying here in this OP. Can you explain specifically what you call the 10 commandments in Exodus 34? I do not have any problems with what you have said in the OP or the scriptures provided (although Exodus 20:1-17 would be a better reference to what Gods' 10 commandments actually are). I just don't understand your conversation with @BobRyan. Are you claiming that the 10 commandments God spoke in Exodus 20:1-17 are different to what God re-wrote in Exodus 34 (Moses did not re-write the tables of stone God did - Exodus 34:1-2)? I am just asking for clarification so I do not have a misunderstanding as to what your saying. The context shows in Exodus 34:1-2 that God re-wrote the 10 commandments on two tables of stone that was broken by Moses when he saw the children of Israel worshiping the golden calf after God wrote them on the first tables of stone on his way down from the Mount *Exodus 32:1-19. Sorry I am finding it hard to understand and follow your interpretation of the scriptures provided in your OP here so seeking some clarification so I do not have any misunderstandings as to what your saying here. Maybe it is late my time :scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's right; Duet 5 says that YHWH wrote no more; but then...

...YHWH told Moses to write more.

We know Moses wrote a lot of what is in Exodus 24-31 and Leviticus during that time... but not on stone. (The only one writing on stone - was God) . We know at the start of Ex 34 that God said He would be writing on stone the very same words that were on the previous stone tablets and we know that in Deut 5 it is only the "Ten words" of Deut 4:13, and Deut 10:4 that were written (ten commandments) and "no more" on stone and according to Deut 5 these were the Words thundered down Mt Sinai directly to the people where in Ex 20 after that thundering - the people go to Moses and ask him the favor that God should no longer speak directly to the people but only to Moses.

Deut 10:
At that time the Lord said to me, ‘Cut out for yourself two tablets of stone like the first two, and come up to Me on the mountain, and make an ark of wood for yourself. 2 Then I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets which you smashed to pieces, and you shall put them in the ark.’ 3 So I made an ark of acacia wood and cut out two tablets of stone like the first two, and I went up on the mountain with the two tablets in my hand. 4 Then He wrote on the tablets, like the first writing, the Ten Commandments (Ten Words) which the Lord had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly; and the Lord gave them to me. 5 Then I turned and came down from the mountain, and I put the tablets in the ark which I had made; and they are there, just as the Lord commanded me.”

The result is the TEN where "the first commandment with a promise" is the 5th instead of that command to serve God and then God will wipe out some local nations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We know Moses wrote a lot of what is in Exodus 24-31 and Leviticus during that time... but not on stone.

28 And he (Moses) was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he (Moses) did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he (Moses) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

This might explain why the tablets were written on both sides.

Then Moses turned around and descended from the mountain with the two tablets of the testimony in his hands, tablets written on two sides across them, on this and on that side were they written.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
HARK! Not quite sure what your saying here in this OP. Can you explain specifically what you call the 10 commandments in Exodus 34?

It's not what I call them. It's what scripture calls them. They are outlined in scripture, and posted in the OP. It appears that there are two sets of 10 commandments. One set written by YHWH, on the original tablets that were broken; and then rewritten by YHWH, on the new tablets. Then there was a second set of 10 commandments, in addition to the ones that YHWH wrote, on the second set of tablets. The second set of the ten commandments were written by Moses, per YHWH's instructions, on the second set of tablets, over a period of 40 days, in addition to what YHWH wrote on the second set of tablets.

It appears that there is significance to this; as it appears that these commands were not commanded, in stone, until after the formation of the golden calf.

These are the 10 commandm3ents of the covenant, that were written in stone.

Does this mean that this was all there was to being in covenant?

I don't believe so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"The Ten Words" Deut 10:4, Deut 4:13

Deut 4

10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, ‘Assemble the people to Me, that I may have them hear My words so that they may learn to fear Me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.’ 11 You came forward and stood at the foot of the mountain, and the mountain was burning with fire to the heart of the heavens: darkness, cloud, and thick gloom.
12 Then the LORD (YHWH) spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—there was only a voice. 13 So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten (Words) Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

Deut 5

2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, all of us who are alive here today. 4 The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain from the midst of the fire, 5 while I was standing between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire,
22 “These words the Lord spoke to your whole assembly at the mountain from the midst of the fire, from the cloud, and from the thick darkness, with a great voice, and He added nothing more. He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me

Ex 34
1."cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I (God) will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables... 28 And he (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

Deut 10:
At that time the LORD (YHWH) said to me, ‘Cut out for yourself two tablets of stone like the first two, and come up to Me on the mountain, and make an ark of wood for yourself. 2 Then I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets which you smashed to pieces, and you shall put them in the ark.’ 3 So I made an ark of acacia wood and cut out two tablets of stone like the first two, and I went up on the mountain with the two tablets in my hand. 4 Then He wrote on the tablets, like the first writing, the Ten Commandments (Ten Words) which the Lord had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly; and the Lord gave them to me. 5 Then I turned and came down from the mountain, and I put the tablets in the ark which I had made; and they are there, just as the Lord commanded me.”

Ex 24 says that what was written on the first tables is what was spoken in Ex 20
12 Now the LORD (YHWH) said to Moses, “Come up to Me on the mountain and stay there, and I will give you the stone tablets with the Law and the commandments which I have written for their instruction.”
Ex 31:18 When He had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God.

IN Deut 10:1-4 it is God writing the "ten words" on stone - when the second tablets were made.
IN Deut 5:22 it is God writing on stone - when the first tablets were made.
In Ex 24:12 it is God writing on stone - when the first tablets were written
In Ex 31:18 it is God writing on stone -- when the first tablets were written
In Deut 4:13 it is God writing the "ten words" on stone -- when the first tablets were written
IN Ex 34:1 it is God writing on stone - when the second tablets were made

Explicit, not ambiguous at all - and I suspect we agree on this.

But in Ex 34:28 the anticedent to the pronoun "he" is ambiguous. Here we differ.

1. God spoke 'the TEN Words' directly to Israel Ex 20 , Ex 24, Deut 4:23 - in fire and smoke "at the assembly". Israel then asked Moses to not have God speak directly to them anymore but rather to speak to Moses.

2. Then 40 days and nights - after God spoke "the Ten Words" to Israel and wrote them on the first tablets of stone - Moses came down the mountain..

3. Then Moses broke the tablet and went back up the mountain. Two more stone tablets were made and God wrote exactly what He wrote on the first stone tablets according to Ex 34:1

Ex 34
1."cut two tables of stone like unto the first: and I (God) will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables... 28 And he (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments"

At that time in Ex 34 there was no repeat of the scene where God spoke directly to the people "The Ten Words".

Deut 4
12 Then the LORD (YHWH) spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—there was only a voice. 13 So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten (Words) Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

This is key - because the only thing written on the stone tablets by the finger of God was the Ten Words He spoke directly to Israel.

This might explain why the tablets were written on both sides.

If true then
A. parts of 3 of the Ten Commandments were written on both sides in Ex 34.
B. and most of the first ten were omitted altogether in the Ex 34 additions

This “other option” means that - these explicit statements are the guide to clear up any ambiguity.

IN Deut 10:1-4 it is God writing on stone - when the second tablets were made.
IN Deut 5:22 it is God writing on stone - when the first tablets were made.
In Ex 24:12 it is God writing on stone - when the first tablets were written
In Ex 31:18 it is God writing on stone -- then the first tablets were written
IN Ex 34:1 it is God writing on stone - when the second tablets were made
In Deut 4:13 - it is the Ten Words - at Sinai that are written on stone by God.

(Written on both sides as you point out)

AND

Writing those ten involved writing on both sides.

If this "other option" is correct then the antecedent to the pronoun "He" is God (YHWH) and the reference changes just like it does in Matt 4.

Matt 4
3 And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4 But He answered and said, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes out of the mouth of God.’”

5 Then the devil *took Him along into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and he *said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written:

"He" is Christ in vs 3 and 4... but "he" is the devil vs 6.

Keeping the correct antecedent to the pronoun is key...

Gen 14
18 And Melchizedek the king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High. 19 And he blessed him and said,

“Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
20 And blessed be God Most High,
Who has handed over your enemies to you.”
And he gave him a tenth of everything.

So there we have the King of Salem paying tithe to Abraham - if we allow ourselves to mess up the antecedent to the pronoun "he".

(This part of the post might get ignored)

=======================

Bottom line - that ambiguity in Ex 34:28 is removed here
In Deut 4:13 - it is the Ten Words - at Sinai that are written on stone by God when He spoke them directly to Israel.

and here

Ex 34:1 it is God writing on stone - when the second tablets were made

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ex 34:1 it is God writing on stone - when the second tablets were made

In Exodus 34:28 it is Moses who is writing a second set of 10 commandments on stone. Notice that it is a different set of commandments. No ambiguity there. It wasn't YHWH who was there for forty days and forty nights without bread and water. No ambiguity there.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's not what I call them. It's what scripture calls them. They are outlined in scripture, and posted in the OP. It appears that there are two sets of 10 commandments. One set written by YHWH, on the original tablets that were broken; and then rewritten by YHWH, on the new tablets. Then there was a second set of 10 commandments, in addition to the ones that YHWH wrote, on the second set of tablets. The second set of the ten commandments were written by Moses, per YHWH's instructions, on the second set of tablets, over a period of 40 days, in addition to what YHWH wrote on the second set of tablets.

It appears that there is significance to this; as it appears that these commands were not commanded, in stone, until after the formation of the golden calf.

These are the 10 commandm3ents of the covenant, that were written in stone.

Does this mean that this was all there was to being in covenant?

I don't believe so.

You would be wrong then dear friend but let me show why from the scriptures.

I asked you show in the first post what you claim are the 10 commandments written in Exodus 34. Can you please do this as I think this would help clarify what your talking about further so there is no misunderstandings.

The 10 commandments are not written in Exodus 34 in your OP dear friend. They are specified however in Exodus 20:1-17. Exodus 34 is about God (not Moses) re-writing the 10 commandments on tables of stone again after Moses broke the first tables of stone after coming down the Mountain when he saw the children of Israel worshiping the golden calf after God wrote them on the first tables of stone on his way down from the Mount *Exodus 32:1-19. God told Moses to cut out two tables of stone and He will write on those stones which is the context of Exodus 34...

Exodus 34:1-2 [1], And THE LORD SAID TO MOSES, Hew you two tables of stone like to the first: and I WILL WRITE ON THESE TABLES THE WORDS THAT WERE IN THE FIRST TABLES, which you brake.[2], And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning to mount Sinai, and present yourself there to me in the top of the mount.

God asked Moses however to write what was written in Exodus 34:11-26 though according to the scriptures this was in a book not on stone.

Deuteronomy 31:34-36 [24], And it came to pass, when MOSES HAD MADE AN END OF WRITING THE WORDS OF THE LAW IN A BOOK, until they were finished, [25], That Moses commanded the Levites, which bore the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, [26], TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, AND PUT IT IN THE SIDE OF THE ARK of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.

If you look at Exodus 34:27-28 that you quote, it does not say that Moses wrote the 10 commandments on tables of stone in the Hebrew. It says God did. God told Moses to write what he said in Exodus 34:11-26 which were a part of the old covenant with Israel *Exodus 34:27.

Exodus 34:28 says.. [28], And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And "he wrote" on the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The Hebrew idiom allows us to regard Jehovah as the nominative to the verb “wrote;” the relative pronoun being here referred to the remoter antecedent in Hebrew of which there are many examples in the old testament scriptures. This then agrees with the scripture contexts of Exodus 34:1 and with Deuteronomy 10:2; Deuteronomy 10:4. Thus the second tables are to be viewed as “written with the finger of God” no less than the first (Exodus 31:18; Exodus 32:16). It is distinctly declared "He" (God) "wrote on the tables according to the scripture context in Exodus 34:1. We must therefore regard "he" in this passage as meaning "the Lord," which is quite possible according to the Hebrew idiom. Exodus 34:28. Your interpretation therefore does not agree with the scripture or it's context shown in v1.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You would be wrong then dear friend but let me show why from the scriptures.

I asked you show in the first post what you claim are the 10 commandments written in Exodus 34. Can you please do this as I think this would help clarify what your talking about further so there is no misunderstandings.

I did that already. You have to go back and read my post again; then read the OP.

There are two set of 10 commandments. I spelled that out as clearly as I can in my response to you. Until you can understand what I said; you're presenting an argument from ignorance. Simply saying that I'm wrong. doesn't cut it.

The 10 commandments are not written in Exodus 34 in your OP dear friend. They are specified however in Exodus 20:1-17. Exodus 34 is about God (not Moses) re-writing the 10 commandments on tables of stone again after Moses broke the first tables of stone after coming down the Mountain when he saw the children of Israel worshiping the golden calf after God wrote them on the first tables of stone on his way down from the Mount *Exodus 32:1-19. God told Moses to cut out two tables of stone and He will write on those stones which is the context of Exodus 34...

Try reading the whole OP, specifically the last three word of verse 28.

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I did that already. You have to go back and read my post again; then read the OP.

There are two set of 10 commandments. I spelled that out as clearly as I can in my response to you. Until you can understand what I said; you're presenting an argument from ignorance. Simply saying that I'm wrong. doesn't cut it.

Try reading the whole OP, specifically the last three word of verse 28.

Hope this is helpful
Actually you didn't. Can you please specify each commandment individually you believe are the 10 commandments in Exodus 34 that you claim are the new 10 commandments? Your ignoring the context of Exodus 34 which is in v1 stating God wrote the second tables exactly the same as the first that were broken by Moses. You really did not address anything in the post you are responding to here. You do not have to of course if you do not want to, just say so. I am happy to move on to other things. You are wrong here HARK! as shown in the scriptures shared with you. God did not write a different set of commandments on tables of stone and Moses did not write a different set of commandments on tables of stone. Your interpretation here contradicts scripture context shown in Exodus 34:1 and elsewhere written also in Deuteronomy 10:2; Deuteronomy 10:4. God wrote the same 10 commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) with His own finger (Exodus 31:18) according to the scripture context of Exodus 34:1 that he wrote the first time that Moses broke after coming down from the Mount seeing Israel worshiping the golden calf *Exodus 32:1-19

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In Exodus 34:28 it is Moses who is writing a second set of 10 commandments on stone. Notice that it is a different set of commandments. No ambiguity there. It wasn't YHWH who was there for forty days and forty nights without bread and water. No ambiguity there.

40 years later as Moses summarized it
The Ten Words Deut 4:13 - the same ten words spoken at Sinai Assembly spoken by God to the people
Are the same Ten words in Deut 5:22 --- 40 years later
Are the same Ten Words Deut 10:1-4 that God writes on stone - when the second tablets were made.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Actually you didn't. Can you please specify each commandment individually you believe are the 10 commandments in Exodus 34 that you claim are the new 10 commandments?

New in the sense that we have no evidence that these 10 commandments of the covenant, that Moses wrote on the second set of tablets, were not written in the first set of tablets. I personally don't believe that they were new; as all of YHWH's sabbaths are eternal; and I don't believe that there was a time when it was permissible to worship other gods.

(1.)

(CLV) Ex 34:14
For you shall not bow yourself down to another el (for Yahweh, Jealous is His Name; He is a jealous El)

(2.)

(CLV) Ex 34:17
Molten elohim you shall not make for yourself.

(3.)

(CLV) Ex 34:18
The festival of unleavened bread shall you observe seven days. You shall eat unleavened bread just was I have instructed you for the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in the month of Abib you came forth from Egypt.

(4.)

(CLV) Ex 34:19
Everyone opening up the womb is Mine, everyone of your male cattle, the one opening up of the kine and of the flockling.

(5.)

(CLV) Ex 34:21
Six days shall you serve, and in the seventh day you shall cease; in plowing time and in harvest shall you cease.

(6-7)

(CLV) Ex 34:22
The festival of weeks shall you dobserve for yourself, the firstfruits of the wheat harvest and the festival of the ingathering at the revolution of the year.

(8-9)

(CLV) Ex 34:25
You shall not slayoffer the blood of My sacrifice onwith what is leavened, nor shall the sacrifice of the passover festival lodge unto the morning.

(10)

(CLV) Ex 34:26
The beginning of the firstfruits of your ground shall you bring to the house of Yahweh your Elohim. You shall not cook a kid in the milk of its mother.

Your ignoring the context of Exodus 34 which is in v1 stating God wrote the second tables exactly the same as the first that were broken by Moses.

I'm not ignoring the context of verse 1. However you seem to be missing the context of verse 28, and everything between verse 1, that leads up to verse 28.

If we ignore verses 2-27; I can understand why verse 28 might seem out of context.

Personally, I don't ignore any of YHWH's eternal Moedim.

I am happy to move on to other things. You are wrong here HARK!

We've been over this already. "Nuh - uh" isn't a valid counterargument.

Your interpretation here contradicts scripture context shown in Exodus 34:1 and elsewhere written also in Deuteronomy 10:2; Deuteronomy 10:4. God wrote the same 10 commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) with His own finger (Exodus 31:18) according to the scripture context of Exodus 34:1 that he wrote the first time that Moses broke after coming down from the Mount seeing Israel worshiping the golden calf *Exodus 32:1-19

Where does any reference that you've cited, prove that YHWH wrote the commandments that I outlined with his own finger.

He didn't. He wrote the other 10 with his own finger. Moses wrote the ones I outlined. Verse 28 makes that clear. I choose not to skirt around everything between verses 1 and 28, as an excuse to abstain from YHWH's eternal Moedim, his kadosh Shabbats.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Ten Words Deut 4:13 - the same ten words spoken at Sinai

The very next verse:

(CLV) Dt 4:14
And Yahweh instructed me at that time to teach you statutes and ordinances, for you to do them in the land where you are crossing over to tenant it.

(CLV) Dt 4:15
You must be very much on guard ›against your soulish desires (since you saw not physical representation at all ion the day Yahweh spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire)

(CLV) Dt 4:16
lest you should bring ruin on yourselves and make for yourselves a carving, a physical representation of any figure, a model of male or female,

Wait a minute. Didn't YHWH write this with his own finger?

Why is the word "and" used?

(CLV) Ex 34:17
Molten elohim you shall not make for yourself.

Upvote 0