The survival vehicle, build one cheap, have fun doing it.

4thWatch

Big as life and twice as ugly
Sep 1, 2015
✟7,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A few years ago I set out to build a vehicle that would be easy to operate in tough times. I sat down and came up with a list of things that it should be able to do and how cheaply I could do it.

First thing I thought of was EMP, so the vehicle needed to not relie on electronics to run. It had to run on a fuel I could make so I would need to set it up to run on alchohol. It would need 4 wheel drive for tough winters and room for storage and power for towing.

I found an early Dodge Power Wagon that filled the bill perfectly. I bought a running truck for 1200 bucks and set about converting into a great tough times truck.

The truck came with a 440 cubic inch V8 that I compression checked and it was still running great with 178k miles on it so it didn't need a total rebuild. The big V8 can pull just about anything I need towed, combined with the 4 wheel drive it can crawl over or through just about anything.

I replaced what few electronics it had in the ignition system with an old distributor that uses points which are mechanical and not electronic. This was really easy to do and was a drop in modification. I got an old distributor with points out of a 1964 Dodge, cleaned it up, put new points in it and dropped it in.

Next up was the fuel issue, I can make alchohol with a still so I converted the engine to run on alchohol. This was a lot easier than it sounds as the engine already had a carburetor and not fuel injection. I took the carb out and took it apart and set it up to run on alchohol by installing new jets and needles that give it more fuel. It takes more alchohol to run correctly than gasoline so you just need the carb to supply more fuel than it did when it was running on gasoline. (the alchohol rebuild kit cost me 32 bucks)

I then got a book about building a still and set about making one. It was easy and kinda fun. I can grow my own corn and everything else I need to make my own fuel is right on my property. Making the still was actually a lot of fun and quite artistic I had never worked with copper line but it's fun and turned out quite pretty. (the still components cost me about 100 bucks)

I chose a truck with a heavy duty automatic so clutch replacement won't be an issue and you can drive with one hand in an emergency (or if you want to drink your end of world coffee in peace). (I bought a 2nd replacement transmission from a junk yard for 50 bucks)

I built a small faraday cage that's in the back of the truck and in it I put a mobil welding rig that runs off the trucks charging system. I can now weld anywhere my truck is and can fix the truck itself if need be. I can barter my portable welding skills for things my family might need or just to help out a fellow Christian. (The faraday cage cost me 25 bucks to build and I traded a rifle that I had not used for the welder)

I bought both a CB and a portable shortwave radio and installed them into a small faraday cage in the truck so now I can communicate with my home or others. (The cage cost me 12 bucks to build and the CB and Shortwave I got off eBay for a total of 118 dollars)

I also installed a small air compressor to inflate tires and run air tools. I can patch and inflate tires and use the air tools to ease work on other things like regular maintainence. I also carry a inflatable car jack that uses air to lift a vehicle to change a tire rather than a regular Jack. (Compressor was taken off an old tow truck in a junk yard for 35 bucks and the air tools were purchased at a pawn shop for 100 bucks)

Built another faraday cage and in it I installed a small generator for powering things like flood lights and water pumps etc. (cage cost me 18 bucks and the generator was found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, bought a water pump on Craigslist as well for 38 bucks)

I've added other things like a roll cage, jerry cans for extra fuel and potable water, shovel and pick, tool box with a good assortment of tools and assorted weapon and ammo racks. (About 300 bucks, mostly for the tools)

I capped it off by painting it in WWII German ambush camouflage just for fun and to get rid of anything shiny that might stand out. My son and I have had fun setting the truck up and he affectionately calls it the panzer.

Reactions: Unix

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A few years ago I set out to build a vehicle that would be easy to operate in tough times. I sat down and came up with a list of things that it should be able to do and how cheaply I could do it.

First thing I thought of was EMP, so the vehicle needed to not relie on electronics to run. It had to run on a fuel I could make so I would need to set it up to run on alchohol. It would need 4 wheel drive for tough winters and room for storage and power for towing.

I found an early Dodge Power Wagon that filled the bill perfectly. I bought a running truck for 1200 bucks and set about converting into a great tough times truck.

The truck came with a 440 cubic inch V8 that I compression checked and it was still running great with 178k miles on it so it didn't need a total rebuild. The big V8 can pull just about anything I need towed, combined with the 4 wheel drive it can crawl over or through just about anything.

I replaced what few electronics it had in the ignition system with an old distributor that uses points which are mechanical and not electronic. This was really easy to do and was a drop in modification. I got an old distributor with points out of a 1964 Dodge, cleaned it up, put new points in it and dropped it in.

Next up was the fuel issue, I can make alchohol with a still so I converted the engine to run on alchohol. This was a lot easier than it sounds as the engine already had a carburetor and not fuel injection. I took the carb out and took it apart and set it up to run on alchohol by installing new jets and needles that give it more fuel. It takes more alchohol to run correctly than gasoline so you just need the carb to supply more fuel than it did when it was running on gasoline. (the alchohol rebuild kit cost me 32 bucks)

I then got a book about building a still and set about making one. It was easy and kinda fun. I can grow my own corn and everything else I need to make my own fuel is right on my property. Making the still was actually a lot of fun and quite artistic I had never worked with copper line but it's fun and turned out quite pretty. (the still components cost me about 100 bucks)

I chose a truck with a heavy duty automatic so clutch replacement won't be an issue and you can drive with one hand in an emergency (or if you want to drink your end of world coffee in peace). (I bought a 2nd replacement transmission from a junk yard for 50 bucks)

I built a small faraday cage that's in the back of the truck and in it I put a mobil welding rig that runs off the trucks charging system. I can now weld anywhere my truck is and can fix the truck itself if need be. I can barter my portable welding skills for things my family might need or just to help out a fellow Christian. (The faraday cage cost me 25 bucks to build and I traded a rifle that I had not used for the welder)

I bought both a CB and a portable shortwave radio and installed them into a small faraday cage in the truck so now I can communicate with my home or others. (The cage cost me 12 bucks to build and the CB and Shortwave I got off eBay for a total of 118 dollars)

I also installed a small air compressor to inflate tires and run air tools. I can patch and inflate tires and use the air tools to ease work on other things like regular maintainence. I also carry a inflatable car jack that uses air to lift a vehicle to change a tire rather than a regular Jack. (Compressor was taken off an old tow truck in a junk yard for 35 bucks and the air tools were purchased at a pawn shop for 100 bucks)

Built another faraday cage and in it I installed a small generator for powering things like flood lights and water pumps etc. (cage cost me 18 bucks and the generator was found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, bought a water pump on Craigslist as well for 38 bucks)

I've added other things like a roll cage, jerry cans for extra fuel and potable water, shovel and pick, tool box with a good assortment of tools and assorted weapon and ammo racks. (About 300 bucks, mostly for the tools)

I capped it off by painting it in WWII German ambush camouflage just for fun and to get rid of anything shiny that might stand out. My son and I have had fun setting the truck up and he affectionately calls it the panzer.
Don't forget the hurricane lantern, extra wicks, globes, oil.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pictures!!!!!

Upvote 0