The Stranger

ExistencePrecedesEssence

Fools seem to ruin even the worst of things!
Mar 23, 2007
Northern Kentucky
✟20,112.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The Stranger is a warning, almost a parable. It points to the simple truth that it takes death for man to realize what he has, that he has what he at first thought was not enough. "I was happy then and happy still."

The entire novel is a terribly bleak take on questions concerning indifference, morality, and existence itself. It sums up the individual remoteness is a contemporary society, the likes of which are becoming more and more evident with each year.

Upvote 0

ExistencePrecedesEssence

Mar 23, 2007
Northern Kentucky
✟20,112.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Received, may I ask what you mean?
Post-war society is a time when many people lose all meaning and truth in their lives. The first world war is a perfect example of this, as people were disillusioned with the romanticism and polyanna that had dominated western culture for some hundred years--the great world war was the turning point in philosophical standpoint, leading to the modernists, Existentialists, and many others.

World War Two saw a disillusionment of the the culture once again, as people were disoriented with the "truths" and "moralities" that had, as to their knowledge, failed to keep millions from dying and their homes safe. Disoriented, they openly expressed their anguish and despair that the world was far too bleak and terrible to live, especially with the continuing rise of technology--both good and bad--and the "average" or "contemporary" life--9 to 5 job, nucleur families, etc. Such stereotypes and majorities have led to isolationism, an isolation and alienation that the Existentialists and Absurdists openly expressed and gave examples to, but, although their impact was great, people have since forgotten in the modern time--now.

With mass-society no longer placing much content on the individual, the philosophies of the post-war eras are again able to describe and apply themselves. The fact, though, is: we don't. Existentialism and Absurdism, and novels about the indifference of the world, of society, and of our own characters, have much to offer us in the coming time.

Upvote 0
G

gawosany

I did not like the person in the Stranger because he had no compassion. I could only stand his indifference up until the point where he decided to kill a man. I think the book does make a point that we as a society tend to be less accepting of people who are not the same as us but I just could not feel sorry for this character. I really could not. Maybe I need to read the book again but I do not see how anyone could admire a man such as Mersault ....

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, he didn't really decide. That's the whole tragedy of it all. He was blinded by the sun and this tipped the scales of his aggravation, killing the Arab almost unconsciously, if not completely obliviously. And you shouldn't admire him; he wasn't written to be admired.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, well, there are characteristics that can be admired. Camus wrote that Meursault was simply an individual who refused to lie in a society of liars. He didn't play "the game". He didn't fake his feelings to fit in with others. That's why he feels no explicit remorse the day he finds out that his mother is killed, and yet refuses to fake remorse like so many people do in view of a similar situation. Which isn't to say that he didn't love his mother -- his recollections of her at the end of the book seem pretty clear indications that he did. He was a man of nothingness, destroyed by a postwar malaise, but unlike the others around him, he wasn't afraid of leaving this malaise undressed and undecorated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ExistencePrecedesEssence

Mar 23, 2007
Northern Kentucky
✟20,112.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
But he also elucidates his standpoint that he's indifferent to their lying--it simply holds no value to Mersault. For him to feel safe, to feel comfort, all he needs is the presence of others, not necessarily their approval, which was the driving force behind his initial relationship with the pimp--I forgot his name--and realizes, at that moment, that he may have made the wrong decision simply with the fact that it matters little either option, and that as long as he doesn't have to feel alone all is well. Even a crowd of violent spectators suffices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0