✟1,357,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 10:1-11 ESV

“’Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.’ This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

“So Jesus again said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.’”

Where are We Today?

Well, back in the early 1950s, at the beginning of my life on this earth, the American church, overall, but not including every congregation, was convinced that they should organize as 501c3 tax exempt religious organizations under the state, even though they were already tax exempt because they were churches. So, most churches in America, it would appear, are now incorporated under the state, making them state churches.

So now the church is united with the government (the state) in an unholy union, which God forbids, and they turned the church into a marketplace, which Jesus also forbid, and they added another “head” to the church, i.e. the government, which is also forbidden, for Christ is to be our only head. And this has been going on for nearly 70 years here in America.

What that resulted in was the church being turned into a business and being marketed to the world just like any other business or any other product being produced by businesses. And so they altered their gatherings in order to draw in large crowds of people from the world, and they started to entertain the world with worldly means and methods so that the world would feel at home in their gatherings (what is wrong with this picture?).

Therefore, they also altered the gospel of Jesus Christ to make it more palatable to the world and to human flesh. It was a slow process of deception and changing things a little bit here and a little bit there so that the unsuspecting didn’t even notice the transition. But the false gospel, which is largely being taught now, other than to talk about Jesus’ birth, death, and some of his life, barely resembles the gospel Jesus and his NT apostles taught.

First it began by teaching them that all they had to do was to confess their sin, pray a prayer to receive Jesus Christ into their hearts, and then they were told that they are now saved, that they are part of God’s family, and that heaven is guaranteed them when they die. And they encouraged spiritual growth by connecting them with a local church congregation for discipleship which may or may not have ever taken place.

But as time went by, then they could just acknowledge what Jesus did for them, and they could just accept his grace and his forgiveness of their sins and now they were saved and bound for heaven, but they didn’t have to do anything. They were told that God required nothing else of them – no repentance, no obedience, and no submission to him as Lord. So now we have a bunch of people professing faith in Jesus who don’t even know him.

Being Taught Government Worship

But let’s back up a little. In the 1950s, in the time period when I was a child in elementary school, both in the school and in the church, we were taught to pledge (vow) allegiance to (to worship) the flag of the United States of America, i.e. its government, with hand over heart. We were taught songs of worship to the government (patriotic songs), as well, and we were taught to honor our military as our heroes and as our saviors who keep us safe.

So, not only was the gospel being diluted to convince most people that they could be guaranteed salvation from sin and eternal life with God based on a one-time decision to “receive Jesus into their hearts,” the church, at large, was pushing government worship to the point that many people saw loyalty (fidelity) to the government as equal with loyalty to God. And many “Christians” today still promote government worship in the church.

As a result of this union with the government, this partnering with the world and with big business, and this marketing of the church to the world just like any other commodity, the “cheap grace gospel” became the predominant gospel being taught and spread throughout this nation, and perhaps throughout the world, as well. And it has been seeping into the lives of the masses because it requires no repentance nor obedience to Christ.

Called to Proclaim the Truth

And so the Lord has called some of his servants to address this issue and to expose the lies of this cheap grace gospel (the supplanter), and to warn the people not to buy into the lies, and of the consequences if they do. His servants are not only exposing the lies, but they are expounding the truth of the gospel in opposition to the lies so that the people will know the truth.

They are warning the people about these “strangers” who are teaching this false gospel so that they do not follow them. They are warning them about these “thieves and robbers” disguised as shepherds of the sheep who are out to kill, to steal, and to destroy the church, not to lift her up, and not to nurture her, and not to show her the way of righteousness and holiness.

And they are telling the people what the Scriptures teach (in context), and they are explaining to them how so many of these lies have come about by teaching Scriptures outside their context. For, the Lord has sent them out to the people to open the eyes of the blind and to turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God so that they can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith in Christ.

And they are teaching the truth that is in Christ Jesus that we are to put off our old self, which belongs to our former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of our minds, and that we are to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. But we don’t do this in our flesh, but by the Spirit of God (Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Lu 9:23-26; Eph 4:17-24).

But they appear to be few in number by comparison to the vast number of people who are spreading the cheap grace gospel. And so they are being opposed by the same people who are opposing the truth of the gospel and who are spreading the lies. They are being faced with rejection, false accusations, persecution, and misunderstandings, and they are not getting much support from the church, either. So, it is a lonely path for them.

But they are to be encouraged, for the Lord is with them wherever he leads them. He is their support. He is their help and their comfort. The Lord is our strength and our shield. Where he calls he also supplies and he equips, and he also comforts and encourages, too.

So, although this is a lonely path, we know that the Lord is using us to dispel the lies and to proclaim the truth so that many (not the majority) will reject the lies and so that they will embrace the truth, and that is our comfort.

Breath Of Heaven (Mary's Song)

Songwriters: Amy Lee Grant / Chris Eaton

I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary with a babe inside
And I wonder what I've done
Holy father you have come
And chosen me now to carry your son

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

Caution: This link may contain ads

Melissa&hergrrls

Sep 25, 2021
Bentleyville
✟14,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

“’Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.’ This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

“So Jesus again said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.’”

Where are We Today?

Well, back in the early 1950s, at the beginning of my life on this earth, the American church, overall, but not including every congregation, was convinced that they should organize as 501c3 tax exempt religious organizations under the state, even though they were already tax exempt because they were churches. So, most churches in America, it would appear, are now incorporated under the state, making them state churches.

So now the church is united with the government (the state) in an unholy union, which God forbids, and they turned the church into a marketplace, which Jesus also forbid, and they added another “head” to the church, i.e. the government, which is also forbidden, for Christ is to be our only head. And this has been going on for nearly 70 years here in America.

What that resulted in was the church being turned into a business and being marketed to the world just like any other business or any other product being produced by businesses. And so they altered their gatherings in order to draw in large crowds of people from the world, and they started to entertain the world with worldly means and methods so that the world would feel at home in their gatherings (what is wrong with this picture?).

Therefore, they also altered the gospel of Jesus Christ to make it more palatable to the world and to human flesh. It was a slow process of deception and changing things a little bit here and a little bit there so that the unsuspecting didn’t even notice the transition. But the false gospel, which is largely being taught now, other than to talk about Jesus’ birth, death, and some of his life, barely resembles the gospel Jesus and his NT apostles taught.

First it began by teaching them that all they had to do was to confess their sin, pray a prayer to receive Jesus Christ into their hearts, and then they were told that they are now saved, that they are part of God’s family, and that heaven is guaranteed them when they die. And they encouraged spiritual growth by connecting them with a local church congregation for discipleship which may or may not have ever taken place.

But as time went by, then they could just acknowledge what Jesus did for them, and they could just accept his grace and his forgiveness of their sins and now they were saved and bound for heaven, but they didn’t have to do anything. They were told that God required nothing else of them – no repentance, no obedience, and no submission to him as Lord. So now we have a bunch of people professing faith in Jesus who don’t even know him.

But let’s back up a little. In the 1950s, in the time period when I was a child in elementary school, both in the school and in the church, we were taught to pledge (vow) allegiance to (to worship) the flag of the United States of America, i.e. its government, with hand over heart. We were taught songs of worship to the government (patriotic songs), as well, and we were taught to honor our military as our heroes and as our saviors who keep us safe.

So, not only was the gospel being diluted to convince most people that they could be guaranteed salvation from sin and eternal life with God based on a one-time decision to “receive Jesus into their hearts,” the church, at large, was pushing government worship to the point that many people saw loyalty (fidelity) to the government as equal with loyalty to God. And many “Christians” today still promote government worship in the church.

As a result of this union with the government, this partnering with the world and with big business, and this marketing of the church to the world just like any other commodity, the “cheap grace gospel” became the predominant gospel being taught and spread throughout this nation, and perhaps throughout the world, as well. And it has been seeping into the lives of the masses because it requires no repentance nor obedience to Christ.

And so the Lord has called some of his servants to address this issue and to expose the lies of this cheap grace gospel (the supplanter), and to warn the people not to buy into the lies, and of the consequences if they do. His servants are not only exposing the lies, but they are expounding the truth of the gospel in opposition to the lies so that the people will know the truth.

They are warning the people about these “strangers” who are teaching this false gospel so that they do not follow them. They are warning them about these “thieves and robbers” disguised as shepherds of the sheep who are out to kill, to steal, and to destroy the church, not to lift her up, and not to nurture her, and not to show her the way of righteousness and holiness.

And they are telling the people what the Scriptures teach (in context), and they are explaining to them how so many of these lies have come about by teaching Scriptures outside their context. For, the Lord has sent them out to the people to open the eyes of the blind and to turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God so that they can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith in Christ.

And they are teaching the truth that is in Christ Jesus that we are to put off our old self, which belongs to our former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of our minds, and that we are to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. But we don’t do this in our flesh, but by the Spirit of God (Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Lu 9:23-26; Eph 4:17-24).

But they appear to be few in number by comparison to the vast number of people who are spreading the cheap grace gospel. And so they are being opposed by the same people who are opposing the truth of the gospel and who are spreading the lies. They are being faced with rejection, false accusations, persecution, and misunderstandings, and they are not getting much support from the church, either. So, it is a lonely path for them.

But they are to be encouraged, for the Lord is with them wherever he leads them. He is their support. He is their help and their comfort. The Lord is our strength and our shield. Where he calls he also supplies and he equips, and he also comforts and encourages, too.

So, although this is a lonely path, we know that the Lord is using us to dispel the lies and to proclaim the truth so that many (not the majority) will reject the lies and so that they will embrace the truth, and that is our comfort.

Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

This is why I veered away from the church to be honest. I grew up as a 90s kid and we did pledge of allegiance to the flag every morning hand over heart and I don’t think anything is wrong with the things we were taught

Where are We Today?

Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

i remember being taught all these things and slowly growing older branching out and veering away from the church and seeing a lot of hypocrisy and thinking what is the difference if I pray to God in my home versus come to a congregation of people who act like I need to give money and if I don’t they scoff at me and I am made to feel like less than for not having enough money. My favorite congregation now is my family and what We read from the Bible or from songs or stories.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Where are We Today?

Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

I disagree with almost every conclusion in your post but you have a right to post anything that you like, the reason you have that right is directly related to some of the very things that you find objectionable.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's not what a state church is. Pastors are not paid by the government, as in, e.g., Greece, where the Greek Orthodox Church actually is the state Church. There are no provisions in the constitution that the government recognizes any particular confession as the religion of the state, as in, e.g., Malta, where the constitution officially recognizes Roman Catholicism as the religion of the state. You might as well be arguing that the restoration of Scientology's tax exempt status in 1993 makes Scientology the official religion of the United States, which would be silly.

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where are We Today?

There is a concept in which what you're saying is true, and it's about being a "state church," but it began far earlier than the 50s. It began in 380AD when Emperor Theodosius made Christianity the only acceptable religion of the state. The concept of one God with monopoly over a cosmopolitan, worldly nation necessitated diluting the religion to an acceptably low denominator--which you described--including a self-protective need for the government to tie itself to God and equate support of the king with the acceptably proper worship of God.

This led to nearly continuous religious wars over the next 1,000+ years, which in turn led to a "Separatist" movement of religious people to separate the church from the state. That concept took firm root in what would become North America earlier than in Europe. But what eventually happened in the United States (despite efforts to the contrary) was the development of a "soft" state church, which is what you describe. But that didn't begin in the 50s, that was put into place sometime after the Civil War. Look at the point the US started printing "In God We Trust" on money as the first sign.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So now the church is united with the government (the state) in an unholy union, which God forbids, and they turned the church into a marketplace,
When it comes to 501c3 tax exempt status, I don't believe it's a signifier that a church is in an unholy union. It's more like being wise as a serpent but harmless as a dove in order to keep money away from the mismanagement of taxes.

However that law does have the power to bite a church in the butt too and turn into a test. It can show whether a church is really about the money and will subsequently bow down to government demands or decide to drop that status and receive the unknown consequences of applying for the status in the first place.

Regardless even of a worst case scenario, it's also possible to become singled out by the earthly powers that be for punishment and be hung on the proverbial cross across America, so that the nation is reminded again about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Like turning lemons into lemonade.

Upvote 0