The so-called "biblical" view on slavery ...

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
A chain of proof hits a wall at axioms. You are of the belief that it takes proof that humans make decisions that alter the physical world beyond blind molecules in motion, that is an axiom as well but a more bold one since it goes against every instinct that what we do is by choice. That we make decisions is a more immediate form of knowledge than empirical analysis is knowledge because it’s direct experience.

This reply is special pleading. You can’t prove that decision making is illusory, and that people really are just puppets on strings of determinism, yet you want that axiom to be granted as fact that doesn’t require a reason. And I can’t even imagine what proof you could provide that shows that universal laws of motion was not a total assumption. The facts that science comes up with about the universe is disguised deduction that is laying on a foundation of induction.

But again I’m steering way off course of the OP
Your word salad does not accomplish anything other than straw man my position. Still no evidence.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm sorry. I question the ENTIRE EPISTEMOLOGICAL ENTERPRISE and the varieties of "Justification" first, and then I proceed to attempt to evaluate evidences. I know. I'm different in this regard, but I just can't let it go being that I've read and studied what I've read and studied (....I guess that Philosophy degree just slows me down from seeing everything in an utterly 'practical' light ... ) So, forgive me if it seems like I'm dodging according to other people's epistemic expectations and assumptions ... For my part, and from my perspective, I see other folks as lazy and hedging from doing what they should be doing first.

So, we'll just have to agree to disagree......about nearly everything I guess, especially the structure, function, and nature of Christian thought and faith.
I'll just go with my experience. After a number of conversations with you, it seems clear that you simply like to avoid engaging with arguments because you'd lose them if you did. I can't say for sure if you realise you're doing this, of course.

• Agree
Reactions: plugh
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll just go with my experience. After a number of conversations with you, it seems clear that you simply like to avoid engaging with arguments because you'd lose them if you did. I can't say for sure if you realise you're doing this, of course.

Please bear with my further if I flat out deny this allegation. :cool: From my angle of things, it seems more like we can never get to a point early on in a discussion because there is resistance on the part of my interlocutors to more deeply and fully engage a subject of investigation ... rather, whatever I bring to the table is hand-waived away so that it doesn't have to be engaged.

But, I realize there's always the chance that I'm wrong and I'll actually be able to have a more protracted, full and in-depth discussion ...

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Please bear with my further if I flat out deny this allegation. :cool: From my angle of things, it seems more like we can never get to a point early on in a discussion because there is resistance on the part of my interlocutors to more deeply and fully engage a subject of investigation ... rather, whatever I bring to the table is hand-waived away so that it doesn't have to be engaged.

But, I realize there's always the chance that I'm wrong and I'll actually be able to have a more protracted, full and in-depth discussion ...
Perhaps you might want to reread some of your old threads? I often find, when I do that, that the things I said look different to me now.

Until then, just take my sincere-and-not-unkindly-meant word for it that I really do think what I said is true.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps you might want to reread some of your old threads? I often find, when I do that, that the things I said look different to me now.

Until then, just take my sincere-and-not-unkindly-meant word for it that I really do think what I said is true.

I can understand your point, but I still disagree. I'm MORE than willing to pick up where I may have left off in some previous thread. So, feel free to pick one and we'll proceed further ... :cool:

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I can understand your point, but I still disagree. I'm MORE than willing to pick up where I may have left off in some previous thread. So, feel free to pick one and we'll proceed further ... :cool:
(Edited response)
Let's leave things for now. Perhaps a little reflection would do us both good. In any case, I'm a bit busy at the moment on another thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0