✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
The Achievement of Unity

If the church is to experience unity, both the Godhead and believers must be involved in bringing it about. What is the source of unity and can it be obtained? What role do believers play?

The Source of Unity. Scripture points out that unity finds its sources in (1) the keeping power of the Father (Joh_17:11), (2) the Father's glory that Christ gave to His followers (Joh_17:22), and (3) Christ's indwelling in the believers (Joh_17:23). The Holy Spirit, the "Spirit of Christ" in the midst of the body of Christ, is the cohesive power and presence that keeps each segment united.

Like the hub and spokes of a wheel, the closer church members (the spokes) come to Christ (the hub) the closer they come to each other. "The secret of true unity in the church and in the family is not diplomacy, not management, not a super-human effort to overcome difficulties-though there will be much of this to do-but union with Christ."2

The Holy Spirit as Unifier. As the "Spirit of Christ" and the "Spirit of truth," the Holy Spirit brings about unity.

1. The focus of unity. As the Spirit enters believers, He causes them to transcend human prejudices of culture, race, sex, color, nationality, and status (see Gal_3:26-28). He accomplishes this by bringing Christ within the heart. Those whom He inhabits will focus on Jesus, not themselves. Their union with Christ establishes the bond of unity among themselves-the fruit of the indwelling Spirit. They will then minimize their differences and unite in mission to glorify Jesus.

2. The role of the spiritual gifts in achieving unity. How attainable is the goal of church unity? When Christ began His mediatorial work at the side of His Father in heaven He made certain that the goal of having His people united was not an illusion. Through the Holy Spirit He gave special gifts particularly intended to establish "the unity of the faith" among believers.

In discussing these gifts, Paul said, Christ "gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers." These gifts were given to the church for the "equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" (Eph_4:11-13).

These unique gifts are designed to develop the "unity of the Spirit" into a "unity of the faith" (Eph_4:3, Eph_4:13) so that believers would be mature and firm and "no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming (Eph_4:14, NIV; see 1Pe_4:10-11- Spiritual Gifts and Ministries).

Through these gifts believers speak the truth in love and grow up into Christ, the Head of the Church-developing a dynamic unity of love. In Christ, Paul said, "the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work" (Eph_4:16, NIV).

3. The basis for unity. It is as the "'Spirit of truth'" (Joh_15:26) that the Holy Spirit works to fulfill Christ's promise. His task is to guide believers into all truth (Joh_16:13). Clearly, then, Christ-centered truth is the basis of unity.

The Spirit's mission is to guide believers into the "truth as it is in Jesus." Such a study has a unifying effect. Yet study alone is not sufficient to bring about true union. Only believing, living, and preaching the truth as it is in Jesus brings about true union. Fellowship, spiritual gifts, and love are all very important, but their fullness comes through the One who said, "'I am the way, the truth, and the life'" (Joh_14:6). Christ prayed, "'Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth'" (Joh_17:17). To experience unity, believers, then, must receive the light as it shines from the Word.

As this truth as it is in Jesus dwells in the heart, it will refine, elevate, and purify the life, eliminating all prejudice and friction.

Christ's New Commandment. Like man, the church was made in the image of God. As each member of the Godhead has love for the others so will the members of the church love one another. Christ has commanded believers to demonstrate their love to God by loving others as themselves (Mat_22:39).

Jesus Himself carried the principle of love to the ultimate at Calvary. Just before His death He extended the injunction He had laid down earlier, giving His disciples a new commandment: "'Love one another as I have loved you'" (Joh_15:12; cf. Joh_13:34). It was as though He was saying to them, "I'm asking you not to stand up for your rights, to see that you get your due, to sue if you don't. I'm asking you to bare your back to the whip, to turn your other cheek, to be falsely accused, mocked, derided, to be bruised, broken, nailed to a cross and buried, if it takes that to love others. For that is loving others as I love you."

1. The impossible possibility. How can we love as Christ loved? Impossible! Christ asks the impossible, but He can accomplish the impossible. He promises, "'And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself'" (Joh_12:32). For unity in the body of Christ is incarnational, the unity of believers with God through the Word that became flesh. It is also relational, the unity of believers through their common roots in the Vine. And finally, it is rooted in the cross: the love of Calvary dawning within believers.

2. Unity at the cross. Church unity takes place at the cross. It is only as we realize that we cannot and do not love like Jesus that we admit our need of His abiding presence-and believe Him when He said: "'Without Me you can do nothing'" (Joh_15:5). At the cross we realize that He did not die just for us, but for every person on earth. This means He loves all nationalities, races, colors, and classes. He loves each equally whatever their differences may be. That's why unity is rooted in God. Man's narrow vision tends to separate people. The cross breaks through human blindness and puts God's price tag on human beings. It shows that none are worthless. All are wanted. If Christ loves them, so should we.

When Christ predicted that His crucifixion would draw all to Him, He meant that the magnetic drawing power of Himself, the greatest of sufferers, would bring unity to His body, the church. The vast gulf between heaven and us, the gulf that Christ crossed, makes the small step across the street or town we must take to reach a brother insignificant.

Calvary means, "Carry each other's burdens" (Gal_6:2, NIV). He bore the entire burden of all mankind, which crushed out His life so that He could give us life and set us free to help each other.

Steps to Unity. Unity does not come automatically. Believers must take steps to secure it.

1. Unity in the home. An ideal training ground for church unity is the home (see Eph_5:21-33- Marriage and the Family). If we learn wise management, kindness, gentleness, patience, and love with the cross as its center, at home, we will be able to carry these principles out in the church.

2. Aim for unity. We will never attain unity unless we conscientiously work for it. And we can never complacently consider ourselves to have attained. We must daily pray for unity and carefully cultivate it.

We should minimize differences and avoid arguing about nonessentials. Instead of focusing on what divides us, we should talk about the many precious truths on which we agree. Talk of unity and pray that Christ's prayer will be fulfilled. By doing so we can realize the unity and harmony God wants us to have.

3. Work together toward a common goal. The church will not experience unity until, acting as one unit, it is involved in proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. Such a mission provides an ideal training for learning harmony. It teaches believers that they are all individual parts of God's mighty family and that the happiness of the whole depends upon the well-being of each believer.

In His ministry Christ melded together the restoration of the soul and the restoration of the body. And when He sent His disciples on their mission He insisted on a similar emphasis: preaching and healing (Luk_9:2; Luk_10:9).

So, Christ's church must carry on both the work of preaching-the ministry of the word-and medical missionary work. Neither of these phases of God's work is to be carried out independently or become all-absorbing. As in Christ's day a balance, working together in harmony, should characterize our work for souls.

Those involved in the various phases of church work must cooperate closely if they wish to give the gospel invitation to the world in a powerful way. Some feel that unity implies consolidating for efficiency. However, the body metaphor indicates that each organ, large or small, is important.

Cooperation-not rivalry-is God's plan for His worldwide work. Thus unity within the body of Christ becomes a demonstration of Christ's unselfish love so magnificently revealed at the cross.

4. Develop a global perspective. A church is not exhibiting true unity unless it is actively building up God's work in all parts of the earth. The church should do everything it can to avoid national, cultural, or regional isolationism. To achieve unity of judgment, purpose, and action believers of different nationalities must mingle and serve together.

The church must take care not to foster separate national interests, which would harm its united, worldwide thrust. Church leadership should operate in such a way as to preserve equality and unity, taking care not to develop programs of facilities in any one area that must be financed at the expense of building the work in other areas of the world.

5. Avoid attitudes that divide. Attitudes of selfishness, pride, self-confidence, self-sufficiency, superiority, prejudice, criticism, denunciation, and faultfinding among believers contribute to disunity in the church. Often a loss of the first love in the Christian experience lies behind these attitudes. A fresh look at God's gift in Christ at Calvary can renew love for one another (1Jo_4:9-11). The grace of God mediated by the Holy Spirit can subdue these sources of disunity in the natural heart.

When one New Testament church developed the problem of disunity, Paul counseled the church to "walk in the Spirit" (Gal_5:16). Through constant prayer we are to seek the guidance of the Spirit, who will lead us into unity. Walking in the Spirit produces the fruit of the Spirit-love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control-which is an effective antidote to disunity (Gal_5:22-23).

James spoke out against another root of disunity: basing how we treat individuals on their wealth or status. In strong terms he denounced such favoritism: "If you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors" (Jam_2:9). Because God is impartial (Act_10:34), we should not give deference to some church members more than to others because of position, wealth, or abilities. We may respect them, but we ought not consider them more precious to our heavenly Father than the lowliest child of God. Christ's words correct our perspective: "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" (Mat_25:40, NIV). He is represented in the person of the least, as well as in the most blessed of members. All are His children and hence equally important to Him.

Just as or Lord, the Son of man, became a brother to every son and daughter of Adam, so we His followers, are called to reach out in unity of mind and mission in a redemptive way to our brothers and sisters from "every nation, tribe, tongue, and people" (Rev_14:6).

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I understand that this order of things in the
church of putting God aside and accepting
the devisings of men is the exaltation of the
human above the divine and that this is the
religion of Baal. "Humanity is hailed as God."
T.M.363.

"Baal, Baal, is the choice. The religion of many
among us will be the religion of apostate Israel
because they love their own way, and forsake
the way of the Lord
." T.M.467-468.

"From Elijah's experience during those days of
discouragement and apparent defeat there are
many lessons to be drawn, lessons invaluable to
the servants of God in this age, marked as it is by
general departure from right
. The apostasy prevailing
today is similar to that which in the prophet's day
overspread Israel
. In the exaltation of the human
above the divine
, in the praise of popular leaders, in
the worship of mammon
, and in the placing of the
teachings of science above the truths of revelation,
multitudes today are following after Baal
." P.K.170.

Much could be said here about the praise of popular
leaders in our midst and how we have made the
house of God a house a merchandise, and how the
teachings of science falsely so-called have been placed
above the truths of revelation in many of our schools,
but this will suffice for now.

sky

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brothers and sisters, do you see what is happening
here? There are those who preach smooth things,
peace and safety messages, while others present
the solemn warnings that God has sent to our
people for many years.

We cannot afford to sit on the fence. Either we
follow after God or after Baal. Which shall it be?
If we follow after Baal which is the exaltation of
the human above the divine, we shall, in the end,
receive the mark of the Beast.

"True observance of the Sabbath is the sign of
loyalty to God
." MS 63, 1899; 7 B.C.981.19

We are not keeping the Sabbath if we accept the
religion of Baal among us, the exaltation of the
human above the divine, when "humanity is hailed
as God
!" (T.M.365)

sky

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I understand that this order of things in the
church of putting God aside and accepting
the devisings of men is the exaltation of the
human above the divine and that this is the
religion of Baal. "Humanity is hailed as God."
T.M.363.

Much could be said here about the praise of popular
leaders in our midst and how we have made the
house of God a house a merchandise, and how the
teachings of science falsely so-called have been placed
above the truths of revelation in many of our schools,
but this will suffice for now.

sky
"Humanity hailed as God?" Is that what you view Church unity as being?

And alright! instead of praising anyone in the church; lets curse them, just like you.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Brothers and sisters, do you see what is happening
here? There are those who preach smooth things,
peace and safety messages, while others present
the solemn warnings that God has sent to our
people for many years.

sky
Whenever you get out your special holy religious talk and do the "brothers and sisters" thing, I know your next few posts are going to be pretty wild. Have at er.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I am not cursing anybody and I am not
playing any special holy religious talk.

You are standing between the people
and the warnings that God has sent
to them.

And that is why I have said to you before
that you were standing on holy ground.

And I will certainly not praise any human
being. Christ alone with His all-sufficient
merits is to be praised.

sky

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I am not cursing anybody and I am not
playing any special holy religious talk.

You are standing between the people
and the warnings that God has sent
to them.
Every time you pick up your key board and come to this forum you have nothing but out of context denunciations against the Adventist Church. Don't "brother and sister" us if you hate us/our church so much.

And that is why I have said to you before
that you were standing on holy ground.

And I will certainly not praise any human
being. Christ alone with His all-sufficient
merits is to be praised.

sky
The only "holy ground" that the Bible mentions, is where Christ is; and Jesus is in His church.

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (Eph 3:21)

The Bible is clear that you are utterly wrong in saying the Adventist Church is "lost." There will be "glory in the Church" not out of it, "throughout all ages," meaning no matter how much wrongdoing you may wish to try pointing out

And where does the Bible tell us it is wrong to praise some one?

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The only "holy ground" that the Bible mentions, is where Christ is; and Jesus is in His church.

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (Eph 3:21)

castaway

"The church is in the Laodicean state. The presence
of Christ is not in her midst
." E.G. White, Notebook Leaflets, p.99.5

"Where Christ is even among the humble few, this is
Christ's church, for the presence of the High and Holy
One who inhabiteth eternity can alone constitute a
church
." E.G. White, The Upward Look, 315.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
And where does the Bible tell us it is wrong to praise some one?

castaway

Praise is becoming as long as it is directed
to God and to the Lamb that was slain.

"And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many
angels round about the throne and the living
creatures, and the elders, and the number of
them was ten thousand times ten thousand,
and thousands of thousands, saying with a
loud voice, 'Worthy is the Lamb that was
slain to receive power, and riches, and
wisdom, and strength, and honor, and
glory, and blessing.' And every creature
that is in Heaven, and on the earth, and
in the sea, and all that are in them, heard
I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory,
and power be unto Him that sitteth upon
the throne, and unto the Lamb forever and
ever. And the four living creatures said, Amen.
And the four and twenty elders fell down and
worshiped Him that liveth forever and ever
."
Revelation 5:11-14; 1:5-6.

"We need to shun everything that would
encourage pride and self-sufficiency;
therefore we should beware of giving
or receiving flattery or praise
. It is Satan's
work to flatter
. He deals in flattery as well
as in accusing and condemnation. Those
who give praise to men are used by Satan
as his agents
. Let the workers for Christ
direct every word of praise away from
themselves
. Let self be put out of sight.
Christ alone is to be exalted
." C.O.L.161-

"The Bible has little to say in praise of men. Little
space is given to recounting the virtues of even
the best men who have ever lived. This silence is
not without purpose; it is not without a lesson. All
the good qualities that men possess are the gift
of God; their good deeds are performed by the
grace of God through Christ. Since they owe all to
God the glory of whatever they are or do belongs to
Him alone
; they are but instruments in His hands.
More than this--as all the lessons of Bible history
teach--it is a perilous thing to praise or exalt men;
for if one comes to lose sight of his entire dependence
on God, and to trust to his own strength, he is sure to
fall. Man is contending with foes who are stronger than
he
." Patriarchs & Prophets, 717.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Achievement of Unity

If the church is to experience unity, both the Godhead and believers must be involved in bringing it about. What is the source of unity and can it be obtained? What role do believers play?

The Source of Unity. Scripture points out that unity finds its sources in (1) the keeping power of the Father (Joh_17:11), (2) the Father's glory that Christ gave to His followers (Joh_17:22), and (3) Christ's indwelling in the believers (Joh_17:23). The Holy Spirit, the "Spirit of Christ" in the midst of the body of Christ, is the cohesive power and presence that keeps each segment united.

Like the hub and spokes of a wheel, the closer church members (the spokes) come to Christ (the hub) the closer they come to each other. "The secret of true unity in the church and in the family is not diplomacy, not management, not a super-human effort to overcome difficulties-though there will be much of this to do-but union with Christ."2

The Holy Spirit as Unifier. As the "Spirit of Christ" and the "Spirit of truth," the Holy Spirit brings about unity.

1. The focus of unity. As the Spirit enters believers, He causes them to transcend human prejudices of culture, race, sex, color, nationality, and status (see Gal_3:26-28). He accomplishes this by bringing Christ within the heart. Those whom He inhabits will focus on Jesus, not themselves. Their union with Christ establishes the bond of unity among themselves-the fruit of the indwelling Spirit. They will then minimize their differences and unite in mission to glorify Jesus.

2. The role of the spiritual gifts in achieving unity. How attainable is the goal of church unity? When Christ began His mediatorial work at the side of His Father in heaven He made certain that the goal of having His people united was not an illusion. Through the Holy Spirit He gave special gifts particularly intended to establish "the unity of the faith" among believers.

In discussing these gifts, Paul said, Christ "gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers." These gifts were given to the church for the "equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ" (Eph_4:11-13).

These unique gifts are designed to develop the "unity of the Spirit" into a "unity of the faith" (Eph_4:3, Eph_4:13) so that believers would be mature and firm and "no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming (Eph_4:14, NIV; see 1Pe_4:10-11- Spiritual Gifts and Ministries).

Through these gifts believers speak the truth in love and grow up into Christ, the Head of the Church-developing a dynamic unity of love. In Christ, Paul said, "the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work" (Eph_4:16, NIV).

3. The basis for unity. It is as the "'Spirit of truth'" (Joh_15:26) that the Holy Spirit works to fulfill Christ's promise. His task is to guide believers into all truth (Joh_16:13). Clearly, then, Christ-centered truth is the basis of unity.

The Spirit's mission is to guide believers into the "truth as it is in Jesus." Such a study has a unifying effect. Yet study alone is not sufficient to bring about true union. Only believing, living, and preaching the truth as it is in Jesus brings about true union. Fellowship, spiritual gifts, and love are all very important, but their fullness comes through the One who said, "'I am the way, the truth, and the life'" (Joh_14:6). Christ prayed, "'Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth'" (Joh_17:17). To experience unity, believers, then, must receive the light as it shines from the Word.

As this truth as it is in Jesus dwells in the heart, it will refine, elevate, and purify the life, eliminating all prejudice and friction.

Christ's New Commandment. Like man, the church was made in the image of God. As each member of the Godhead has love for the others so will the members of the church love one another. Christ has commanded believers to demonstrate their love to God by loving others as themselves (Mat_22:39).

Jesus Himself carried the principle of love to the ultimate at Calvary. Just before His death He extended the injunction He had laid down earlier, giving His disciples a new commandment: "'Love one another as I have loved you'" (Joh_15:12; cf. Joh_13:34). It was as though He was saying to them, "I'm asking you not to stand up for your rights, to see that you get your due, to sue if you don't. I'm asking you to bare your back to the whip, to turn your other cheek, to be falsely accused, mocked, derided, to be bruised, broken, nailed to a cross and buried, if it takes that to love others. For that is loving others as I love you."

1. The impossible possibility. How can we love as Christ loved? Impossible! Christ asks the impossible, but He can accomplish the impossible. He promises, "'And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself'" (Joh_12:32). For unity in the body of Christ is incarnational, the unity of believers with God through the Word that became flesh. It is also relational, the unity of believers through their common roots in the Vine. And finally, it is rooted in the cross: the love of Calvary dawning within believers.

2. Unity at the cross. Church unity takes place at the cross. It is only as we realize that we cannot and do not love like Jesus that we admit our need of His abiding presence-and believe Him when He said: "'Without Me you can do nothing'" (Joh_15:5). At the cross we realize that He did not die just for us, but for every person on earth. This means He loves all nationalities, races, colors, and classes. He loves each equally whatever their differences may be. That's why unity is rooted in God. Man's narrow vision tends to separate people. The cross breaks through human blindness and puts God's price tag on human beings. It shows that none are worthless. All are wanted. If Christ loves them, so should we.

When Christ predicted that His crucifixion would draw all to Him, He meant that the magnetic drawing power of Himself, the greatest of sufferers, would bring unity to His body, the church. The vast gulf between heaven and us, the gulf that Christ crossed, makes the small step across the street or town we must take to reach a brother insignificant.

Calvary means, "Carry each other's burdens" (Gal_6:2, NIV). He bore the entire burden of all mankind, which crushed out His life so that He could give us life and set us free to help each other.

Steps to Unity. Unity does not come automatically. Believers must take steps to secure it.

1. Unity in the home
. An ideal training ground for church unity is the home (see Eph_5:21-33- Marriage and the Family). If we learn wise management, kindness, gentleness, patience, and love with the cross as its center, at home, we will be able to carry these principles out in the church.

2. Aim for unity. We will never attain unity unless we conscientiously work for it. And we can never complacently consider ourselves to have attained. We must daily pray for unity and carefully cultivate it.

We should minimize differences and avoid arguing about nonessentials. Instead of focusing on what divides us, we should talk about the many precious truths on which we agree. Talk of unity and pray that Christ's prayer will be fulfilled. By doing so we can realize the unity and harmony God wants us to have.

3. Work together toward a common goal. The church will not experience unity until, acting as one unit, it is involved in proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. Such a mission provides an ideal training for learning harmony. It teaches believers that they are all individual parts of God's mighty family and that the happiness of the whole depends upon the well-being of each believer.

In His ministry Christ melded together the restoration of the soul and the restoration of the body. And when He sent His disciples on their mission He insisted on a similar emphasis: preaching and healing (Luk_9:2; Luk_10:9).

So, Christ's church must carry on both the work of preaching-the ministry of the word-and medical missionary work. Neither of these phases of God's work is to be carried out independently or become all-absorbing. As in Christ's day a balance, working together in harmony, should characterize our work for souls.

Those involved in the various phases of church work must cooperate closely if they wish to give the gospel invitation to the world in a powerful way. Some feel that unity implies consolidating for efficiency. However, the body metaphor indicates that each organ, large or small, is important.

Cooperation-not rivalry-is God's plan for His worldwide work. Thus unity within the body of Christ becomes a demonstration of Christ's unselfish love so magnificently revealed at the cross.

4. Develop a global perspective. A church is not exhibiting true unity unless it is actively building up God's work in all parts of the earth. The church should do everything it can to avoid national, cultural, or regional isolationism. To achieve unity of judgment, purpose, and action believers of different nationalities must mingle and serve together.

The church must take care not to foster separate national interests, which would harm its united, worldwide thrust. Church leadership should operate in such a way as to preserve equality and unity, taking care not to develop programs of facilities in any one area that must be financed at the expense of building the work in other areas of the world.

5. Avoid attitudes that divide. Attitudes of selfishness, pride, self-confidence, self-sufficiency, superiority, prejudice, criticism, denunciation, and faultfinding among believers contribute to disunity in the church. Often a loss of the first love in the Christian experience lies behind these attitudes. A fresh look at God's gift in Christ at Calvary can renew love for one another (1Jo_4:9-11). The grace of God mediated by the Holy Spirit can subdue these sources of disunity in the natural heart.

When one New Testament church developed the problem of disunity, Paul counseled the church to "walk in the Spirit" (Gal_5:16). Through constant prayer we are to seek the guidance of the Spirit, who will lead us into unity. Walking in the Spirit produces the fruit of the Spirit-love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control-which is an effective antidote to disunity (Gal_5:22-23).

James spoke out against another root of disunity: basing how we treat individuals on their wealth or status. In strong terms he denounced such favoritism: "If you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors" (Jam_2:9). Because God is impartial (Act_10:34), we should not give deference to some church members more than to others because of position, wealth, or abilities. We may respect them, but we ought not consider them more precious to our heavenly Father than the lowliest child of God. Christ's words correct our perspective: "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" (Mat_25:40, NIV). He is represented in the person of the least, as well as in the most blessed of members. All are His children and hence equally important to Him.

Just as or Lord, the Son of man, became a brother to every son and daughter of Adam, so we His followers, are called to reach out in unity of mind and mission in a redemptive way to our brothers and sisters from "every nation, tribe, tongue, and people" (Rev_14:6).
I don't think Ecumenism is the answer, especially with the Pope at the head.

Upvote 0