Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
no verses ... no doubt deceived by what satan said .... says nothing unusual about the serpents physical appearance being "tricky"

you are the one trying to describe what the serpent looked like and the fact that if its punishment was to crawl - then it must not have been limited to crawling before that... I simply agreed and pointed to the winged-serpent motif that we see in the art of antiquity.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question about the serpent in the garden of Eden. Was it a real serpent.
Then why was did Jesus draw a parallel between him and the snake that raised on the pole, and why raise a serpent on a pole for healing.

Then there is the general snakes in the wilderness, do we have enmity with them?

I believe that the term is many fold. In comparison to the "wild animals", the serpent is more crafty. It bears a meaning that angels (though pointed to the fallen angels) are made to be more intelligent and more powerful than humans. Serpent also represents the crafty evil (which has an influence on humans). At last then serpent is Satan himself.

I also believe that calling Satan a serpent and a dragon is very much accurate in other aspects as well, more on his appearance.

The serpent sign once Moses held may represent an authority against the snake thus driving them away. Jesus can be a parallel as He's an authority to neutralize the effect caused by the crafty evil onto humans. He heals our souls (thus saves us).

Side Note:
Satan is called a serpent and a dragon at the same time, because he moves in a dark place for extended time that when he moves he resembles a moving snake. When he stops and stands still, he stretches his two broken wings (which actually helps him moving when not widely stretched), he resembles a dragon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you are the one trying to describe what the serpent looked like and the fact that if its punishment was to crawl - then it must not have been limited to crawling before that... I simply agreed and pointed to the winged-serpent motif that we see in the art of antiquity.

sure ... I understand ... just saying .... doesn't say satan entered a snake/serpent and took on it's bodily form (although it's entirely possible) .... the important thing that was taught was deception through words ... and more specifically ... by twisting what God had said.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question about the serpent in the garden of Eden. Was it a real serpent.
Then why was did Jesus draw a parallel between him and the snake that raised on the pole, and why raise a serpent on a pole for healing.

Then there is the general snakes in the wilderness, do we have enmity with them?
It seems that man’s fall was caused by a evil that serves only itself. The significance of the fall can be seen around the world in pain and suffering. God Will Do What God Will Do.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Questionable ....

Genesis 3:14
Berean Study Bible
So the LORD God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and every beast of the field! On your belly will you go, and dust you will eat, all the days of your life.

After the fall .... evidentially the serpent was not on it's "belly" from the get go.

Seems we really have no idea of the physical appearance of satan on earth ... however we do know angels are described as having wings. What the serpent spoke is what convinced Eve she could be like God ... not it's physical appearance being a miracle ... that seems to be assumptive. I don't find anything stated where Eve thought it was "unusual" the "serpent" had the ability to speak or her/them thinking it was a "miracle". Any verses on that?

Could very well be satan appeared in his created form.

Serpents - dragon; winged creatures (angels) ... in this case a fallen one
All we know is that the woman knew what the serpent was and referred to it as such, so it wasn’t some mysterious creature to her.

She was aware of it and what to call it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All we know is that the woman knew what the serpent was and referred to it as such, so it wasn’t some mysterious creature to her.

She was aware of it and what to call it.

Didn't say they thought it was a mysterious creature ... nothing is mentioned about them thinking it was mysterious in any way .... including the ability to speak ... nothing is stated they thought anything about the serpent (physically) was unusual .... that's all I was saying. It don't really matter .... it's the teaching about deception.

We aren't the first to ponder this of course ... kind of interesting

Did the Serpent Originally Have Legs?

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If the snake is symbolism then the greater question is what does the garden symbolize in relationship to the mystery that was hid from the beginning.

Serpent, dragon, leviathan, devil, satan, covering cherub, etc. are really just different facets of the same truth.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One problem with this being a literal serpent, other than what has already been brought up, snakes can't and don't talk, there are numerous snakes. So why this snake in particular? Why would it be trying to deceive the woman, but that no other serpents would be?

Years ago when I was debating someone, their argument was that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was satan, and that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was throwing it's voice, making it appear the serpent was speaking when it actually wasn't. This person was dead serious about this. (Well if anyone has ever wondered who the first ventroliquist was, I guess now we at least know that). In his mind this solved the problem of talking snakes. Maybe so, but what about the other problem it presented? Talking trees?

• Haha
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One problem with this being a literal serpent, other than what has already been brought up, snakes can't and don't talk, there are numerous snakes. So why this snake in particular? Why would it be trying to deceive the woman, but that no other serpents would be?

Years ago when I was debating someone, their argument was that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was satan, and that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was throwing it's voice, making it appear the serpent was speaking when it actually wasn't. This person was dead serious about this. (Well if anyone has ever wondered who the first ventroliquist was, I guess now we at least know that). In his mind this solved the problem of talking snakes. Maybe so, but what about the other problem it presented? Talking trees?

Why would it be trying to deceive the woman, but that no other serpents would be?

Some teach that satan entered the body of a snake/serpent. However, this is not specifically stated one way or the other in the bible that I can find. Did satan enter a animal and then speak through it ... or ... did he alter his appearance to be that of a serpent ... or did he appear as himself and the reference to him (an angel) is metaphorical? Angels, we really don't know what they look like, winged creatures of some type.

I lean towards (snake, serpent, dragon) as metaphorical and that being of evil, poisonous, depicting satans character (not his physical appearance) ... an enemy of God.

Doesn't really matter (any are possible) .... the teaching is about deception.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the term is many fold. In comparison to the "wild animals", the serpent is more crafty. It bears a meaning that angels (though pointed to the fallen angels) are made to be more intelligent and more powerful than humans.

that's a bit of a streatch.

Here is the text: "Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. "

Where in that extreme bending you suggest - "beast of the field" represents "humans" and "serpent" -- angels.

I prefer Ps 8:5 KJV "5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour."

Balaam's donkey speaks - not because it is an angel and not because donkeys could talk back then.

The serpent spoke in Gen 3 - not because serpents can talk or could talk and not because it is the other name for angels.

Satan is the illusionist in Gen 3... and God is doing a miracle in the case of Balaam's donkey

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So The Great Dragon was cast out, That Serpent Of Old, Called The Devil And Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
• Revelation 12:9

He laid hold of The Dragon, That Serpent Of Old, Who Is The Devil And Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
• Revelation 20:2

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if the snake in Genesis was real it was the only talking snake in history. Most scholars do not believe that the story of the Garden of Eden is to be taken literally. While we may have some issues with snakes in the wild the point that was being made was that Jesus and the devil are adversaries, The devil put a nail in Jesus heel but Jesus crushed his head and had victory over the devil, sin, and death. Hope these will help you learn more.
The Healing Serpent — Bible Study Magazine
Why is a bronze serpent used to save the Israelites in Numbers 21:8-9? | GotQuestions.org

And many scholars would be wrong because understanding the Bible is not simply a Scholarly exercise, but one done with a heart for God under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are 3 questions here, and I'll start with the 3rd: snakes in the wilderness. I think we have enmity with them and other wild animals that can attack and hurt human beings. But no special enmity over and above that.

In the garden of Eden, Satan took the shape of a snake and talked with Eve. The Book of Revelation explains the true identity of the serpent:

Rev:9 The great dragon was cast out, that ancient serpent called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world. He was cast down to the earth, and his angels were cast down with him.

Why did Satan take the shape of serpent and not of another animal or human? Perhaps bec snakes are believed to be cunning:

Get 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God said, ‘You shall not eat of any tree of the garden’?”

Your 3rd question is most interesting and deserves a separate post.

Amen!... I think you mean Rev 12.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens

No. The fallen angel (Satan) transformed into a human being and was able to talk with Eve.

Heb. 13:2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Genesis 19:1 The two angels entered Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When Lot saw them, he got up to meet them, bowed with his face to the ground,

And, yes, angels can look like us, talk like us, eat food like us, and etc. You wouldn't know that they are angels unless they tell you and show you their powers.

Satan was nicknamed the serpent because of the animal's cunning characteristics and was later cursed to look like a serpent permanently because of what he did.

In ancient Sumeria, the cross was a pagan symbol for Devil/Serpent worship during ancient times and made it's way to the Americas and Asia.

Below is an image on how the ancient people carried out their devotion by sacrificing a human being. The priest removes their heart with a knife to offer to their serpent god, Quetzalcoatl. The Mayan civilization dates around 1000-2000 B.C.

I've provided two images -- one vertical and one horizontal to better assess the images. You can see a cross with a serpent hanging on it. This is their serpent god Quetzalcoatl or Kukulkan. In front of this crucifix is a man apparently tied up, lying on a short table. The short table, I believe was designed to be that way in order to stretch the chest cavity so that it would be easier for the priest to remove the heart to offer to the serpent on the cross. You can see blood oozing out from the table as depicted in the image. Quetzalcoatl, the serpent god was also depicted as a man sitting on his throne in the pyramid shaped temple. It's the same with the fallen angel in the garden of Eden when he appeared as a man to Eve.

This human sacrifice had many variations among the pagans and crucifying a criminal on the cross was a subtle way to sacrifice a human being to the serpent. Crucifixion was practiced in ancient Rome all the way to Japan. In Asia, the serpent is depicted as a dragon.

cross.jpeg

sacrifice.gif

Jesus drew a parallel between him and the snake on a pole because it was a shadow of things to come. It was symbolic of him defeating the serpent hanging on the cross. The serpent had the power of death and when Christ was finally crucified on the serpent's cross and offered himself as a sacrifice to the Devil, that power was shattered because death can't hold a perfect sinless man. It was impossible. The Devil no longer holds this power and authority over mankind and whoever believes in Christ will be saved.

The first man Adam sinned because he ate of the tree. When sin entered him, he lost his immortality and he dies. The second Adam did not sin, but died on that same tree. However, he was sinless and death cough him up from the grave on the 3rd day and he became immortal. The second Adam was different from the first because He came from heaven and not from the dust of the ground. He became glorified with divine super powers.

Ref: Just do a Google. I'm too lazy to search for the references as I did this research many years ago.

then there is the general snakes in the wilderness, do we have enmity with them?

I don't think it's enmity. It's more of a disgust and fear mixed together when we see a snake. It's more like seeing a huge slimy worm and a mouse running towards you. Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No. The fallen angel (Satan) transformed into a human being and was able to talk with Eve.

Heb. 13:2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Genesis 19:1 The two angels entered Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When Lot saw them, he got up to meet them, bowed with his face to the ground,

And, yes, angels can look like us, talk like us, eat food like us, and etc. You wouldn't know that they are angels unless they tell you and show you their powers.

Well all of that is true - except Satan did not transform into a human to talk with Eve - rather he manipulated the snake to make it appear to Eve "as if" the snake was talking. Moses is writing from Eve's frame of reference - it appeared to her that the snake was able to talk.

The devil made the argument that the tree gave the snake the power of speech (evolution) and that Eve would gain the same benefit by eating the fruit - she would "evolve" to be like god.

Satan was nicknamed the serpent because of the animal's cunning characteristics

Or rather he named himself the snake - unwittingly - by taking on that form as part of his illusion - the name 'stuck'.

and was later cursed to look like a serpent permanently because of what he did.

He is not cursed to look like a serpent... skin is a bit loose after some aging ... but other than that.

The serpent had the power of death and when Christ was finally crucified on the serpent's cross and offered himself as a sacrifice to the Devil,

Christ did not offer himself as a sacrifice to the devil. Satan tried to prevent Christ from going to the cross by making the humans around Christ (his fleeing disciples, his chosen people, the romans etc) as disgusting to Christ as possible so he would hopefully, possibly, reconsider dying for their sins and saving them.

Peter said to Christ "may it never be" in Matthew 16 when Christ said he was going to Jerusalem to die for mankind. Christ said to Peter "get thee behind me Satan" and said he was not setting his eyes on the goal of God but was listening to the talk of Satan who was in fact coming up with every argument possible for Christ not to go through with his mission.

The first thing Satan does with Christ in Matt 4 is offer to "give him the world" so that he need to go through with his mission -- Satan feared the mission of Christ. Because if Christ succeeded then Satan would know for sure "he has but a short time" Rev 12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Here's the things that come to my mind as I mull this over.

-Satan was a cherub (covering cherub) as described in Ezekiel 28:16-17.

-Cherubs were described as having the faces of man and different animals in Ezekiel and the Revelation of Jesus.

-God's presence rested upon the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant.

-Heaven is described as God's throne and Earth as his footstool.

-Genesis says the serpent would strike mans ankle and man would crush the serpents head. I know this was specifically talking about Jesus, however snakes usually bite the ankle if not noticed and stepped on and we usually kill them by crushing or severing their heads.

-Based on Hebrews 8:5, I believe that many aspects of nature and physics are shadows of what is in Heaven.

-I believe the Garden of Eden was an intersection of Heaven and Earth.

Putting all that together, I'm leaning toward the serpent, and the Cherubim in general, as being a sort of living aspect of Heaven and/or Earth. One thing that may throw a wrench in that theory is that the Hebrew word for serpent also translates to "burning one", which would indicate the serpent was a Seraph rather than a Cherub. It's a tricky subject.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In that day The LORD with His severe sword, great and strong, Will Punish Leviathan The Fleeing SERPENT , Leviathan That Twisted SERPENT ; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea.
• Isaiah 27:1

• Nachash - Serpent

נָחָשׁ

H5175 - nachash - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

• Helel - A Shining One

Strong's Hebrew: 1966. הֵילֵל (helel) -- a shining one

הֵילֵל

“How you Are Fallen From Heaven, O Lucifer (Helel) , son of the morning! How You Are Cut Down To The Ground, You Who Weakened the nations!
• Isaiah 14:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Leviathan is known as the sea serpent, it later was known as the dragon, but before that, the story grew into a sea serpent with many heads.

Leviathan's scales are pride and cannot be pierced with earthly weaponry.

So in a sense, since at the time the serpent and the woman would have enmity with one another - the first humans were living souls. So the characteristics that would manifest in this form (the bodies of the fallen humans) would appear as personality traits -

thus: you brood of vipers.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And many scholars would be wrong because understanding the Bible is not simply a Scholarly exercise, but one done with a heart for God under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"
It is your position that everything in the bible is to be taken literally?

Upvote 0