USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you trace Israel from its roots you can see Abraham circumcised his 300+ soldiers. Among them, Ishmael was his only blood relative. But all became his covenant seed through circumcision (Genesis 17:11–13). They called them Hebrews at this point (Exodus 9:1).

God told Abraham that His seed (Christ, according to Paul Galatians 3:16) would come through Isaac, Abraham’s son after Ishmael (Genesis 21:12). In time Isaac’s son Jacob had twelve sons. These grew into twelve tribes. But they always included others from surrounding nations as in Abraham’s day. A mixed multitude of family and foreigners based on circumcision (Exodus 12:38 Joshua 5:5). All males underwent circumcision or they remained gentiles cut off from Israel (Genesis 17:14). Though no command is given, we might assume girls and women held circumcised status through their husbands or fathers (Ruth 2:12; 1 Corinthians 7:14).

When Abraham excommunicated Ishmael, he lost his covenant membership even though a circumcised son. So covenant membership also meant group membership through circumcision.

When Jesus arrived, God no longer needed the physical unbelieving nation to preserve the true seed. Jesus abolished circumcision on the cross, by it removing the only means of a physical group membership. Only believers remained as biblical Israel under Christ (Colossians 1:18 Galatians 6:16NIV).

Into this Israel, God grafts gentile believers (Romans 11:17). And only in Christ are the broken off reattached by faith (Romans 11:23). God promises this in honor of the patriarchs (Romans 11:28). Paul uses himself as an example of a broken off Jew reattached to Israel through faith in Christ (Romans 11:1).

Paul defines Jesus as Israel today. First, he says he is Abraham’s seed (Galatians 3:16), already defined as Israel in the Old Testament (Exodus 3:18; 1 Samuel 13:19). This includes believers in him also called the Church (Galatians 3:29). And Matthew identifies Jesus as Israel. He says “… (Jesus) was there (in Egypt) until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.” (Matthew 2:15). Matthew referred to Hosea who said, “When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.” (Hosea 11:1). So Matthew identifies Jesus as the Israel whom the Father loved and called out of Egypt in a double fulfillment. Also agreeing with Paul who says Jesus is Abraham’s seed, and not the physical seed (Romans 9:8).

But those Jews who reject Christ, exist today only because of their hatred of him. The Pharisees who escaped Jerusalem’s destruction in AD 70 take credit for today’s brand of Judaism*.

*According to the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, the Pharisees are today’s Jews.

“With the destruction of the Temple (70 A.D.) the Sadducees disappeared altogether, leaving the regulation of all Jewish affairs in the hands of the Pharisees. Henceforth, Jewish life was regulated by the Pharisees; the whole history of Judaism was reconstructed from the Pharisaic point of view, and a new aspect was given to the Sanhedrin of the past. A new chain of tradition supplanted the older priestly tradition (Abot 1:1). Pharisaism shaped the character of Judaism and the life and thought of the Jew for all the future.” The 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia Edited by Isadore Singer

Last edited:

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you trace Israel from its roots you can see Abraham circumcised his 300+ soldiers. Among them, Ishmael was his only blood relative. But all became his covenant seed through circumcision (Genesis 17:11–13). They called them Hebrews at this point (Exodus 9:1).

God told Abraham that His seed (Christ, according to Paul Galatians 3:16) would come through Isaac, Abraham’s son after Ishmael (Genesis 21:12). In time Isaac’s son Jacob had twelve sons. These grew into twelve tribes. But they always included others from surrounding nations as in Abraham’s day. A mixed multitude of family and foreigners based on circumcision (Exodus 12:38 Joshua 5:5). All males underwent circumcision or they remained gentiles cut off from Israel (Genesis 17:14). Though no command is given, we might assume girls and women held circumcised status through their husbands or fathers (Ruth 2:12; 1 Corinthians 7:14).

When Abraham excommunicated Ishmael, he lost his covenant membership even though a circumcised son. So covenant membership also meant group membership through circumcision.

When Jesus arrived, God no longer needed the physical unbelieving nation to preserve the true seed. Jesus abolished circumcision on the cross, by it removing the only means of a physical group membership. Only believers remained as biblical Israel under Christ (Colossians 1:18 Galatians 6:16NIV).

Into this Israel, God grafts gentile believers (Romans 11:17). And only in Christ are the broken off reattached by faith (Romans 11:23). God promises this in honor of the patriarchs (Romans 11:28). Paul uses himself as an example of a broken off Jew reattached to Israel through faith in Christ (Romans 11:1).

Paul defines Jesus as Israel today. First, he says he is Abraham’s seed (Galatians 3:16), already defined as Israel in the Old Testament (Exodus 3:18; 1 Samuel 13:19). This includes believers in him also called the Church (Galatians 3:29). And Matthew identifies Jesus as Israel. He says “… (Jesus) was there (in Egypt) until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.” (Matthew 2:15). Matthew referred to Hosea who said, “When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.” (Hosea 11:1). So Matthew identifies Jesus as the Israel whom the Father loved and called out of Egypt in a double fulfillment. Also agreeing with Paul who says Jesus is Abraham’s seed, and not the physical seed (Romans 9:8).

But those Jews who reject Christ, exist today only because of their hatred of him. The Pharisees who escaped Jerusalem’s in AD 70 take credit for today’s brand of Judaism*.

“With the destruction of the Temple (70 A.D.) the Sadducees disappeared altogether, leaving the regulation of all Jewish affairs in the hands of the Pharisees. Henceforth, Jewish life was regulated by the Pharisees; the whole history of Judaism was reconstructed from the Pharisaic point of view, and a new aspect was given to the Sanhedrin of the past. A new chain of tradition supplanted the older priestly tradition (Abot 1:1). Pharisaism shaped the character of Judaism and the life and thought of the Jew for all the future.” The 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia Edited by Isadore Singer

But those Jews who reject Christ, exist today only because of their hatred of him. The Pharisees who escaped Jerusalem’s in AD 70 take credit for today’s brand of Judaism*.

Is this another supersessionism thread, Dave?

• Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one attempts to identify Israel without an objective!

You want to play games, ok, play your games.
If you think this article is wrong, point it out using scripture and perhaps I can edit it.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you think this article is wrong, point it out using scripture and perhaps I can edit it.

I'm just looking for the controversy, what I'm really going to argue.

I have noticed in this forum there are some Calvinists who attempt to box in the arguments to their advantage. A sneak approach, if you will.

There's no doubt you are taking this somewhere, but you are being secretive about it.

I believe my first post was on the money, but you won't admit it, got to use those tactics, right!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just looking for the controversy, what I'm really going to argue.

I have noticed in this forum there are some Calvinists who attempt to box in the arguments to their advantage. A sneak approach, if you will.

There's no doubt you are taking this somewhere, but you are being secretive about it.

I believe my first post was on the money, but you won't admit it, got to use those tactics, right!
Judging people ends with God judging you the same way.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That is a sin. You can judge works. But motives are off-limits. Only God knows the heart.

God does know the heart, I'm sure He knows why you won't state your purpose of this thread.

When i start a thread in CT, I leave no doubt as to my objective for the thread, as most do.

Why can't you just state that you started this identification of Israel in hopes to...........?

Upvote 0