Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
In the previous thread I laid out the context for this key chapter. We see that Jesus has gathered for the Passover that precedes His sacrifice. He has cleansed His disciples and gave them a commandment to love each other, and to follow the example Jesus gave them. As we see in John 17, Jesus gave them what God had given Him. And He told them to give it to others like He gave it to them. This too would be the instructions that God was giving Jesus to tell His disciples. As we will start to see, these commands/words are the Words given by the Father for Jesus to speak to His disciples. Not the Words given to Moses hundreds of years before.

John 14
1 “Don’t be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. 2 There are many rooms in my Father’s home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know where I am going and how to get there.”

He’s about to leave. The trust they had in God was through His commandments, no? If Jesus is saying ‘trust me now, i’m repeating the same thing’, why would they be troubled? If the commands given were implied to be the commands given Moses, why would they be troubled about trusting Jesus as He reinstated them now?

The fact is, He is saying ‘now trust in me’ because He’s speaking as God. And the Words are not the same as the commands given Moses. Or else they would have no reason to be troubled. And the context would be about how they are obedient to the Law by following Him.

But the Word is about Jesus, not Moses. As such, He is telling them to trust what He is speaking to them, as they trust God. Jesus words testify about Himself, not about Moses. This is why at no time do we see Jesus upholding the Law of Moses as His banner.

The word He was given was the message about Himself, Jesus. They speak of unity with God, not the Law. And not through the works of the law either. Jesus words speak of His works, not our works of the Law. They speak of what He does and observes. And the implications it has on us. We believe His words, and works, and we are united as One with God through Jesus. Not united as One with the Law so as to observe it fully.

He’s giving Torah, the fullness there of. He is the prophet Moses spoke of in Deut 18. And He is speaking to those who are given Him. If they don’t listen to the commands, they die. But God has kept them for Him. And none perished, but the one destine to.

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I find it interesting how Jesus here states they know where He is going and how to get there. Thomas seems to disagree but Jesus reminds him that:

John 14
6...Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known who I am, then you would have known who my Father is. From now on you know him and have seen him!”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus replied,”Philip, don’t you even yet know who I am, even after all the time I have been with you? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking to see him? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I say are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.
And there is the core of the message. Jesus is speaking as God in the flesh. United as One with God. The Father was living within the body of Jesus, and they were testifying to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Nothing more.

John 14
11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of what you have seen me do.

12 “The truth is, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, because the work of the Son brings glory to the Father.
Just believe the words that Jesus spoke, as Moses foretold in Deut 18. If we don’t follow THAT prophets words, we die. We ask in Jesus name, who does not fall back under Moses’s name. Because Moses had the presence of God around him, among his people. Jesus has the presence of God within him, and within His people to the fullest extent.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
John 14
14 Yes, ask anything in my name, and I will do it! 15 “If you love me, obey my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
Notice that this is directly tied to the giving of the Spirit? So either being born again is directly tied to obeying the commandments given Moses, or it's directly tied to obeying the commands of Jesus.

Jesus commanded we be like Him, One with the Father. Not one of Jesus as through the Law. The Spirit is not calling all to focus on the Law of Moses and the physical essence of Israel. We focus on the inner heart of our souls. We do not focus on the numerous commandments given to Israel through Moses. We focus on the summary of those commands as fulfilled through Jesus in our hearts.

If we love Jesus, we will be One with Him as He is with God. Jesus just described how it was God speaking through Him, living through Him. And He implores us to love Him by listening to the words and believing the works He is doing ‘now’ in front of the disciples. The only way to reason this implies the commands of God given through Moses is to read into the verse, and use it out of context. Reasoning that since it was a pre-incarnate Jesus who spoke the commandments to Moses, we are to believe here that when Jesus says what He says in verse 14:15 it implies the Law of Moses.

But the scriptural context is void of this teaching. In context we see Jesus stating He is speaking as God.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What He is speaking He is speaking as God, and is teaching what will happen to the disciples. Who they are in Jesus and who those who believe in them are as well.

John 14
18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans — I will come to you. 19 In just a little while the world will not see me again, but you will. For I will live again, and you will, too. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them.”

Again, one has to do the pre-incarnate reasoning to justify this to mean the Law given Moses. In the plain reading of the text it means obeying the words that Jesus spoke. Not as He spoke through Moses.

In fact you should start to see that the commandments are closely associated with being One with God through Jesus through Faith. Not the Law of Moses. Every time He uses the term commandments He starts to mention the union between the Father and He and those who believe the words He was speaking. You would think there would be just one mention of the Law of Moses when He refers to ‘my Commandments’, but that never appears.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
John 14
23 Jesus replied, “All those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and live with them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not do what I say. And remember, my words are not my own. This message is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative — and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit — he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.​

All who do what ‘I’ say. Again, the present tense of His words. Not what He said to Moses, but what He is speaking now. All who love Jesus do what “He” says. What did He say? Love others and believe that the Father is in Jesus, and both will come to live with us if we ask. If we just believe in this, They will work in us, living through us. One with the Father, loving others as ourselves, these are the commandments.

He wasn’t speaking to a crowd here, so as to be general and vague. He was speaking to the very ones he loved with all His heart. He was speaking heart to heart. And told them that if you love me you will listen to me. The very words Jesus spoke were as God, and they were to obey.

Those who do not love God do not do what Jesus says. Yet, Jesus did not say to observe the commandments of God as given Moses, but to believe they are One with the Father. As such, people who follow the Law can not receive the Spirit to become one with the Father through Jesus because, why? Because they didn’t observe the commandments given Moses? No, they did so to the best of their ability. But because they did not observe the commandments given through Jesus. Who commanded us to believe that He was One with the Father, speaking as the Father, doing the works of the Father, and causing all to become one with the Father through Faith in Jesus. Having believed that the message was about unity with Jesus through the Spirit which causes them to observe the Law, they completely miss that it is actually unity with Jesus through Faith which causes us to be at one with God. Justified in His sight, even though are not observing the Law of Moses. In fact, they scoff at this truth.

You show me your Faith by your observance to the Law of Moses. I show you my Faith by the fact that God lives within me.

See the difference? And, both are works based. So throw the grace hype out the window. The problem is, the first is a work you perform to be seen as righteous. And most can see the problem with that. But as I’ve said before. It don’t matter where you place the physical observance in regards to salvation, your still showing and stating that your observance is what shows your love for God. It’s a work of love, rather than salvation. But you have been fooled. Because the works we accomplish in our life with God are based on the things He does through us in regards to your life Today. Not in regards to a life from long ago. He is not a God of the past, so as to cause us all to live in the past. He is a God of the present, the living. And as such, He is working in our very hearts, for us, and for others. He uses us everyday for His good deeds. He is not calling us to act like letters of stone, but live like Spirits of life. With His life flowing through our souls.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Because we have faith we are one with God through Jesus and the Spirit. And as such He can live and breath TODAY in your very person. Doing wonders through His new home here on earth, your heart, your soul. He is what causes you to live and breath, move and rest. You know exactly when to do these things because the One you follow is within you, leading you, guiding you into all things He has prepared for you.

The message is from the Father who sent Yeshua. The message is NOT the commandments of the Law and how to observe it ritually through Faith. That is far from the message here. All who love Yeshua do what He says; and remember, His words are not His own. They are as commandments from God.

All those who love Jesus are commanded to love others, and thus are loved by God, who comes and lives within us. Anyone who does not love Jesus does not love others, and is not loved by God. He can not come and live in you because of your lack of love/faith. Faith/Love is not of the Law, it has nothing to do with observance to Torah commands. It is a gift from God. A promise fulfilled. Our inner relationship with God, a mystery to some, but Salvation to others.

Romans 4
13 It is clear, then, that God’s promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was not based on obedience to God’s law, but on the new relationship with God that comes by faith.​

Upvote 0