Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe God is one God, not three. However, I don’t call people heretics when they disagree with me.
My friend, how then would you recommend a person point out a heresy?

• Winner
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe God is one God, not three. However, I don’t call people heretics when they disagree with me.
I don't see how that answers my question?

First of all....if it eases your mind.....no one is speaking about calling anyone a heretic (only acknowledging heterodox beliefs and teachings).

Secondly....with your comment about believing God is one God...not three....are you in agreement with the theology of the Trinity? Because that's an important Christian concept that's been carefully defined (which is the point of being able to acknowledge deviations from that belief)....but can get confusing (which this thread demonstrates).

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My friend, how then would you recommend a person point out a heresy?

If they day comes that I think I must call a person a heretic, I will find a way.
Read SopraninoPlayer's post again carefully. He didn't say anything about calling a person a heretic. Instead....he asked how someone can point out a heretical belief (a heresy).

I may just be doing this, though (as it doesn't seem you're grasping what's been repeated a few times now):

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    122.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you'd have no trouble if your pastor said in a sermon one day that Christ didn't really rise from the dead...that His resurrection isn't what we've been taught? You'd see that as "labeling" him wrongly (unfairly?) to recognize that as a belief outside of Christianity (IOW.....a heterodox belief)? It's completely fine if a person believes that (they have freedom to believe what they wish).....just don't call it Christianity.

What does God being one God have to do with the resurrection?

BTW....Muslims also believe strongly that there is only one God...which is why they deny the deity of Jesus. See how important clarification and careful definitions of the parameters of Christianity are?

Upvote 0

Sopranino Player

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.
Dec 4, 2017
Westerville
✟15,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they day comes that I think I must call a person a heretic, I will find a way.
Perhaps I have missed something. Can you tell me the number of the post in which you were called a heretic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Do you find the word heresy offensive?
Don't you find it offensive to have what you believe called a heresy? Which does in fact imply that person is a heretic. I find it a form of political correctness to think you can call what someone does as heresy yet get triggered when the person complains you've called them a heretic. "What you believe is a heresy, but don't 'take it personally'....." I suppose you think they are going to be waiting with baited breathe for your correcting instructions? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You labeled his belief a heresy. Hence, you labeled him a heretic. Now, get over it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard how one woman had a revelation that Jesus was God, and about the trinity, from cracking and egg, and saying how the shell, the whites and the yolk, were "one egg", and this, and I use this example, because it seems to very similar to the way many people try to explain the trinity.

Is this her?

b8c7b7c1e7516521a1f5424f3442948a.jpg

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You labeled his belief a heresy. Hence, you labeled him a heretic. Now, get over it.
Those distinctions were made ages ago (what was accepted by the Church and what was considered heresy) ....back at all the early church councils, so it wasn't an opinion of anyone in this thread.

To point out a heterodox belief is not like saying to someone, "you're being ridiculous" (because that's a matter of opinion). Orthodox Christian beliefs have been established and are what define Christianity and set it apart from other religions.

And acknowledging that a belief is a heresy isn't the same thing as calling someone a "heretic". To call someone a "heretic" is characterizing that person as having an agenda to actually promote heresies (and that IS a matter of opinion). See the difference? One is an objective statement of faith (decided upon in the early church days) and the other is an opinion. It's NOT personal to acknowledge a heterodox belief....it IS personal to suggest a person has an agenda to promote those beliefs.

Just a FYI:

Heresies
  • Adoptionism - God granted Jesus powers and then adopted him as a Son.
  • Albigenses - Reincarnation and two gods: one good and other evil.
  • Apollinarianism - Jesus' divine will overshadowed and replaced the human.
  • Arianism - Jesus was a lesser, created being.
  • Docetism - Jesus was divine but only seemed to be human.
  • Donatism - Validity of sacraments depends on character of the minister.
  • Eutychianism - Jesus finite human nature is swallowed up in His infinite divine nature.
  • Gnosticism - Dualism of good and bad and special knowledge for salvation.
  • Kenosis - Jesus gave up some divine attributes while on earth.
  • Marcionism - An evil God of the O.T., good God of the N.T. 11, books in the Canon
  • Modalism - God is one person in three modes.
  • Monarchianism - God is one person.
  • Monophysitism - Jesus had only one nature: divine.
  • Nestorianism - Jesus was two persons.
  • Patripassionism - The Father suffered on the cross.
  • Pelagianism - Man is unaffected by the fall and can keep all of God's laws.
  • Semi-Pelagianism - Man and God cooperate to achieve man's salvation.
  • Socinianism - Denial of the Trinity. Jesus is a deified man.
  • Subordinationism - The Son is lesser than the Father in essence and or attributes.
  • Tritheism - The Trinity is really three separate gods.
~Heresies | CARM.org

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sopranino Player

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.
Dec 4, 2017
Westerville
✟15,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you find it offensive to have what you believe called a heresy? Which does in fact imply that person is a heretic. I find it a form of political correctness to think you can call what someone does as heresy yet get triggered when the person complains you've called them a heretic. "What you believe is a heresy, but don't 'take it personally'....." I suppose you think they are going to be waiting with baited breathe for your correcting instructions? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You labeled his belief a heresy. Hence, you labeled him a heretic. Now, get over it.
I do not find it offensive. It simply means that I believe something that is not considered orthodox by a majority. In fact, I do believe something that is considered a heresy. I am an annihilationist. "Heresy" is a noun, it is defined as "belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine." I see no reason to object.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums