Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Saint of the Wilderness Chapter 13
------------------------------------------------
Page 272– Gander Pulling
===============================
Upon returning to the Irish Settlement he found that his mail was again heavy, but only one letter spoke with any urgency, and that urgency seemed camouflaged with understatement. The letter said, “Brother Sheffey, come and talk to my man. I’d be obliged if you’d get here straightaway. If I’m departed give my children to my sister. Here is a map.” The letter was signed by a Mrs. Beamer.

Robert was not sure he remembered the woman, and the approximate place from which the letter came had been visited by him only two or three times over the past ten years. The area lay in the Bear Wallow section of West Virginia, and the ride would be a long one.

“That’s ranging out too far,” Eliza said when he told her the location of the place he was going.

“No place is too far to go to spread my Lord’s lovingkindness.”

“This letter has the aura of danger about it. The letter seems like an unusual distress call of some kind,” Eliza said, frowning.

He placed his arm around her waist and spoke calmly. “Now, Eliza, you know my sweet Lord would not let harm come to me unless it be His divine will. And if so, so be it.”

“The simplicity of your rebuttals leave me defenseless, Robert. I always end up saying, go do what you must do.”

“And that is the thing you want to hear yourself saying.”

“And how did you know that?” she asked.

“Because you’re all a part of it now – such a vital part, I’m obliged to say – and thank God for it.”

The population growth here had been rapid, he noticed as he rode along the turnpikes until it was time to turn onto the spur roads and then the still narrower mountain and ridge roads. After crossing into West Virginia he rode until he had reached Slate Creek. The territory looked more familiar to him now, for he remembered staying in the village of Harrisonville on a previous trip. He continued riding west to Bradshaw’s Creek, where the woman’s crude map directed him. Only an occasional cabin appeared in view and there were almost no travelers,

By midmorning of the next day, when Bradshaw’s Creek was reached, he saw a young mountaineer lounging on the creek bank and, further beyond him, a larger group of men who seemed to be participating excitedly in some enterprise out of his view.

“Can you tell me where Mrs. Beamer and her man live?” Robert asked.

“I’m new in these parts myself,” the younger man said. He pointed and added, “Maybe some of them yonder can tell you if they can get their minds offen that gander-pullin’ long enough to answer you.”

“Off of what?” Robert asked.

“Gander-pullin’. Ain’t you ever heerd of gander-pullin’ That’s the funninest game around.”

He rode up the creek to the gathering and watched for a few minutes until he understood exactly what was going on. A large male goose hung from a low tree limb by his feet, which were tied with rawhide string. His long feathery neck glistened with bear grease, and the mounted riders were thus far unsuccessful in stretching the helpless bird’s neck until it broke. After further passes of mounted riders, unmounted participants made runs, jumps, and stretching lunges. Which as yet were unsuccessful.

As the bird honked pitifully from pain and fright, Robert could stand the cruelty no longer. He rode into the midst of the men and boys, near to the hanging gander, and blocked any further passes at the defenseless fowl.

“Who’ll be man enough to cut the goose down – in the name of the Lord?” he demanded.

“If anybody does, you might just get put back up in its place.” A bearded older man spoke up.

“A gander exists for two reasons,” Robert said. “He is · to be eaten or used to help bring other little goslings into the world.”

“Now you ain’t exactly right, are you. Mister?” A youth stepped forward. “A gander is fer a gander-pullin’. You’re a mighty brave men a-stickin’ your nose in other folks’ business.”

“That is not my intent, my brothers, but our Lord does not sanction the use of his creatures for cruel sport. ‘Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn,’ the Lord said, and He does not smile upon you as you stretch the gander’s neck until in great pain it breaks and he dies. If you are killing the goose to eat; do it quickly and without any greater pain than you yourselves would want to bear.”

There was a hushed silence then, but nobody moved to free the gander from his captivity. Finally a stout redheaded man of middle age stepped so close to Robert that he could smell the pungent odor of fermented corn upon the man’s breath. “You want him down, mister, you take him down.”

“My Creator has seen fit to make me a man of small stature. I don’t fight because I can’t do a very good job of it and because there is not use for it. I want you to cut the gander down because the Love of Jesus has spoken to your hearts and you know it is God’s will.”

Nobody in the group spoke for the longest while; each man seemed to be pondering the arrogance of a stranger who would ride in their midst and interrupt their sport with no fears whatever.

The first man who had spoken to him got up and moved a distance away, motioning his companions to join him in an encircled conference. When· the ring broke, the same man acted as spokesman. ‘’We ain’t goin’ to cut the gander down, but we’ll let you do it.”

Robert rode over and untied the rawhide string, handing the bird to the spokesman. “I want to ride back this way sometime. I will be anxious to know what you do with the gander.”

“Well, we sure ain’t goin’ to waste our time a-teachin’ him to lay eggs!” an old-timer called from the back of the group.

The humor broke the tension, and Robert had the feeling that this particular gander would live to an honorable old age and boast of more ancestors than any gander in the settlement

Before departing he asked the men whether or not they would come to a revival service later on in the summer – if he could find a place to hold it. Each man to the last said he would.

He rode away from them then with clear directions to his destination and a new warmth in his heart. “Oh, Gideon, the Lord be praised. Truly His gifts are boundless. It could have worked the other way, old friend, and I rather suspect the inhabitants of this wilderness do not really approve of us. Perhaps they would like to believe that they are so far removed from civilization that they need not give account to men or God. But we have spoiled it for them, Gideon; we remind them that no man hides from God, no matter how deep in the wilderness he may be.”

Bradshaw, WV...
cfiles39362.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 275-282– How to break a man from drinking… The Robert Sheffey Way…

The Beamer cabin lay still farther west along the ridge, and when Robert got there the problem immediately became self-evident. The young mother of three looked not a day older than seventeen or eighteen at most, but new bruises and old ones covered her head, neck, and arms, and scrap cloths hid her leg wounds.

Robert did not recognize her and was sure now that he had never before seen her. In spite of this, she knew in the briefest moment who he was, and as she fell upon his neck her anguished sobs carried down into the narrow valley and back again.

“Tell me more about you, child?” he asked when she had stopped sobbing. “We’ve never met before, have we?”

“I was just a little girl when you prayed for my mamma and papa at camp meeting. My father was Josh Pickle, and Mamma used to laugh and say you prayed to the Lord that their hearts were not as sour as their name. They’re gone now, and I married and moved here in the mountains. Mamma said if I ever needed any help to write to you and no matter how far away I was, you’d come.”

“I’m glad she told you that, child. My sweet Lord sends me where He wants me to go.”

Her sobs overcame her again and her body shook so hard that she could not talk.

“Is it your husband? Did he put those bruises all over you?”

She cried louder and nodded in the affirmative. In that moment he felt that he himself had been the victim of a brutal blow.

“Where is your husband now?”

“I don’t never know where he is. He comes and goes. He’s not a bad man when he’s not drinkin’ – honest he’s not, Brother Sheffey.”

“I just came from a gander-pulling a few miles back at the creek. Would he have been there?”

“He might’ve been, if he was sober enough to walk.”

When the woman was quiet and her most recent wounds dressed he left her and went to Gideon for his sheepskin prayer mat.

He climbed the peak behind the Beamer cabin, and his voice was troubled. “Oh, Lord, it’s a tall order I’m asking you for today … “

He stayed with the beaten woman throughout the hours to follow, and while he sat at her table, having a meager and late dinner, a lone rider stopped near the open door of the cabin. He weaved back and forth in the saddle, and his long coal-black hair fell over his face and obscured his eyes.

“Woman, get me out of this saddle – fer it’s turnin’ round and round and round; – you be a-hustlin’ or I’ll box your jaws this time _.”

“That’s him. And he’s stone-drunk. He makes me help him off the horse when he gets in bad shape.”

“Help him down,” Robert said, “and then I have an errand for you to do before it gets dark.”

Robert tied the drunkard’s horse as his wife guided his tall and staggering frame through the narrow cabin door. Mr. Beamer would have been strikingly handsome had he been clean.

When Robert re-entered the cabin, the young- woman appeared to be concluding an explanation of her visitor’s presence. “Uncle Robert was just passing by this part of the country” – she was lying nervously, Robert could tell.

“Then give him his supper and tell him to be gone _ and be dern quick about it.”

“You’d better get somethin’ in your stomach -:” Mrs. Beamer started to say.

“I got my supper right here,” he said and added an oath. Robert then saw him teeter backward onto the straw tick of their bed and reach under it for a small demijohn.

The couple’s oldest child climbed upon his father’s bed, only to be met with a backhanded slap that landed him halfway to Robert’s feet.

The mother picked up the screaming youngster. "He’s not like that if he’s not drinkin’ . You’ve got to believe that.”

“No man’s past saving, I grant you that, sister. But right now your man is not fit for the kingdom or the devil either. We need to point him in a certain direction and help him make up his mind.”

Suddenly, a loud thump from the bedroom sounded, interrupting their conversation.

“He’s fell off his bed, I know he has,” she said, startled. She pushed the door Open hurriedly, and an empty demijohn came roiling toward them. “All his liquor is gone and be’ passed out. He won’t bother nobody now,” she said.

“How long will he be sleeping?”

“He won’t come around until midnight, and then he’ll rouse up and make me wife him or whip me. About then he’ll drink some more if he’s got it, or go back to sleep and sleep all the next day.”

“It’ll be dark in three or four hours, and I want you to go on some errands for me before then. And you must not ask any questions.”

With childlike obedience she promised she wouldn’t. He gave her two five-dollar gold pieces and several pieces of silver. “Go buy all the liquor and brandy this money will buy. You’ll have to make several trips to different places, and try not to raise suspicion. You’ve done this for your husband before, haven’t you?”

“Yes,” she said, “plenty of times, and sometimes very late in the night.”

“Go now. I’ll look after your babies. . . . There’s one more thing you’ll be needing. Do you have a large tub or soap making cauldron?”

“We’ve got a wooden tub we take a bath in sometimes, and a little cauldron I boil fat in.”

“The bathing tub will do. Where is it?” She told him and started on her way.

When she returned with the final load he asked her to take one of the demijohns and spoon-feed some of the liquid down her husband’s throat.

“What do you want me to do that for – he’s dead drunk now!”

“This is one night we want him to have all the liquor he wishes.”

He instructed the girl to put the children to bed as soon as it got completely dark. He then lifted the large bathing-tub onto Gideon’s back and hooked it over the saddle horn. West of the crest where he had earlier gone to pray was a small clearing of land, most likely used, he guessed, as a corn or potato patch during years when young Mr. Beamer had felt the inclination to work. In the midst of this small clearing he sat and leveled the tub.

When all the details of his setting were as he liked them the task of gathering pine-knots and green pine boughs was all that remained. Having accumulated a large pile of both, he broke them down into smaller piles and placed these three or four feet apart in a complete circle around the tub.

By the time he had delivered all of the liquor and brandy to the clearing, and placed it about the tub, night had come and a full moon and a clear sky cast an eerie light by which to work. Lamplight now shone in the cabin window far below him, and he hoped the children were asleep.

When he returned quietly to the cabin the woman put her fingers to her lips as he entered. “One more to go,” she said. Peering from the room where all three of the children slept. In moments she came from the room and closed the door. Her small body trembled, and she made no effort to hide her fear or her anticipation. “I know you won’t hurt him, Brother Sheffey, but I’m scared just the same. I don’t know what you’re going to -.”

“Have no fear, my child, the Lord watches over us. After this night you will never again feel the drunken wrath of your husband.”

She looked at him questioningly but made no further protest and asked what other things she was to do.

“Do the babies sleep soundly? Will they be all right?” he asked.

“None of them ever wakes during the night unless their pa is raisin’ cain with me.”

“That won’t happen tonight,” Robert said. “Now help me lay your man across my horse’s back.”

An occasional groan came from the man’s drooling mouth, but otherwise there was no sound except that of the powerful hooves of Gideon digging into the mountain soil as they climbed upward.

When they stood beside the tub Robert asked the woman to help him lower her husband and then to break branches from the low-hanging- pine trees that enclosed the circle. When she was out of sight Robert removed the man’s clothes, lifted him little by little into the large wooden tub, and sat him upright.

He was pouring the liquid from the demijohns first over the man’s head and then about his body when Mrs. Beamer came running back. He could not see her eyes clearly in the moonlight, but her voice cracked with apprehension, and she gasped as she saw her husband reposing motionless in the half-filled tub.

“’Won’t the liquor burn him? Oh, Brother Sheffey, if you’ll just take him home he won’t beat me no more, I’ll promise you that... Let’s just take him home... He’s a good man.”

“No, child. Nothing for you will be changed unless we complete what we have come to do. A little hurt is sometimes good for us.”

“But the liquor will sting -.”

“Yes, but hell is a place that will surely sting. He’ll be lucky if the pain only lasts for one night. Would not God be merciful if He allowed your man only one night of hell and then opened the way to His glory?”

He could see the girl nod in the moonlight. “But why must he be naked?” She was whimpering a little now.

“Hell will have no clothed people, of that we can be sure. There will not be even a garment to hide behind for those who will forever live in shame and hopelessness.”

They waited together in silence until the man showed signs of emerging from his stupor. He settled back with his head resting on the tub rim and did not groan or attempt to speak.

“It’s time to light the fires now,” Robert said.

She helped him, but by the firelight he could see the tears running down her face. Soon the entire circle was ablaze.

“Now, go get me some of the green branches you broke off,” he said. "I want there to be smoke enough that he cannot recognize the setting even if he were sober – which. Believe me, he soon will be!”

It was almost an hour before the weaving, groaning head snapped to horrified attention in the smoke-filled firelight. At first the man seemed paralyzed in utter terror; then his head and neck began to gyrate wildly and without control. His eyes became enlarged mirrors of firelight and appeared to be bulging from their sockets. Finally there was a guttural scream choked off by smoke. The man flailed his arms wildly in an attempt to rise out of the stinging liquid surrounding him.

Burning pine cones whistled in the consuming heat, and crackling branches echoed in the stillness of night. From out of the shadows where they stood, the woman started to break away from Robert and run to her husband. He grabbed her at the outer circle of the fire before she could run farther.

“No, child! Let him be cleansed!” he whispered.

Almost immediately the man’s feet began to gyrate in time with his thrashing arms and he leaped from the tub. Seeing his own nakedness and the encirclement of fire about his liquid tomb, he began to run in a circle around the tub, looking back periodically as he ran and giving a repentant shout each time the tub was rounded. He continued to run in this way until his panting cries echoed into the night. As he stood silhouetted against the firelight, every hair upon his body seemed to stand upright and there were visible welts on his body. Finally, with both hands, he tore at his own hair and made a wild leap through the outer circle of fire. A quick burst of flame, like a lamp that had been lighted and quickly blown out, consumed the last bit of alcoholic vapor that hung near to his naked body.

Straight ahead in the running man’s path were groves of yellow pine, and it was as if he could see neither light nor darkness as his head slapped dully against a small sapling. His body sprawled helplessly.

“Oh, Lordy, you said you wouldn’t hurt him,” the young woman moaned.

For a moment Robert too was frightened, for he had not anticipated this fall. Kneeling by the man’s side, he examined him, then stood confidently. “He’s only knocked himself senseless for a little while, and perhaps it is the Lord’s blessing. I hoped to preserve the illusion just long enough for him to see what his eternal future might be like. Now we have time to make the experience even more effective. Bring me that last demijohn and help me get some of it inside him. I want this to be his last dose of liquor, and when he wakes up do not be surprised if he never mentions this strange ‘dream’ he has had. You will be wise to ignore the singed hair on his body, and he will never know for certain what really happened.”

She sat holding her husband’s head in her lap, but Robert left them at peace for only a moment. “Let’s get him home now. Daylight will soon be coming and I must first take our equipment home and cover the ashes here. I have to leave after it is done – it will not be well for me to be around when he awakes.”

When all was finished the woman filled Robert’s pockets with cold biscuits and a goose egg she had hurriedly cooked. Daylight began to come upon the ridge, and a first groan could be heard from the adjoining room.

“I had best be on my way now. I will ride west through the clearing and see that none of my work in the moonlight remains to tell a tale.”

“I’m glad we did it now – but when we was up there … “ She halted.

“I know, child. May the Lord’s blessing be upon our deed. It was the only way. Write to me if all is not well.” By the full rising of the sun he had crossed two more northward-running ridges and, at the crossing of two more, the settlement of Shack’s Mill lay in the distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 283-285- The trip back home to Sugar Run.
When he came to the first house in sight he dismounted and knocked timidly at the door. A skinny woman in a bonnet answered promptly and he said, ‘’Would there be any food in your house for a servant of the Lord?”

“Indeed there be. Are you more than a mite hungry?”

“More than a mite,” Robert confessed.

“You look like a traveling man. I always pack a traveling man’s pockets when he leaves from my house.”

“The good sister where I stayed last night did that, but I met a friend. The poor thing looked like he hadn’t had biscuits nor bone for a host of Sundays.”

“Are you talking about a man or a dog!” the woman asked.

“A bluetick hound,” he said, “and it would’ve done your heart good to see him gobble those biscuits and gnaw into that goose egg. . . .’.

By the following midday he had ridden across the state line and far into Virginia, but an hour after dinner had been taken with two elderly sisters a summer downpour threatened to engulf both him and Gideon if shelter could not soon be found. He traveled somewhere between Millstone and Elk Garden in Russell County, but no house appeared in view. As his eyes swept across the terrain he detected several sheep entering a limestone cave at the base of a steep cliff.

“It’ll keep us dry, Gideon, and it’s tall enough for you to get your head in. Looks like there’s a shelf above it that will keep you dry anyway.”

He stood in the opening of the cave so the sheep would not be forced, by fright of him, back out into the heavy downpour.

“Your kind doesn’t mind water so much, but sheep do not like to get wet. They don’t object to snow, but when rain soaks their wool –“

“Are you talking to me or that animal that shuts out the light with his head?” A voice boomed from further back in the cave.

“I was talking with my animal, but it’s the Lord’s blessing that we can share this house of nature until the storm passes. I’m Robert Sheffey.”

“I know who you are. I knowed you when you stepped in out of the rain.”

“Then come closer, brother, so we can get re-acquainted.”

A one-eyed man stepped nearer the light. Robert recognized the face, although he did not remember his name. The man wore a rawhide jacket and pants. And he was tall and lean like a hunter. .

“From where do I know you?” Robert asked.

“It was at the revival at Elk Garden. You done everything but twist my tail to make me go to the altar.”

“God be praised if I succeeded.”

“You never had no luck with me.”

‘’Have you since made your profession and been baptized?”

“No. I ain’t ready, but I’m interested.”

“Well, that’s a start,” Robert said. “Only problem is whether you’ve got the time to wonder and wait or not.”

“It’s not time wastin’, it’s trying to figure things out. Don’t nothin’ about religion makes sense. Why be born in the world if we got to change our ways … and why do we have the will and the way to do bad if we’re not supposed to be that way?”

“My brother, that is not a new question. Since the very presence of our Saviour in the world Christians have had to fight all reason to serve Him.”

“I’m not ready for another sermon,” the man said curtly, “and this place is not exactly lined with pews.”

“It wouldn’t make any difference if we were in a cow shed. I’ve felt the presence of my sweet Lord there just as surely as I have felt it in the finest of churches.”

His listener towered over him and laughed. “Why, we’d both be run out of Russell County if the word got around we were holdin’ preachin’ in a cave.”

“Religion is a divine force that a man can find on the back of his horse or with a hoe in his hands. The great cathedrals of the world give no more guarantee of finding God’s promise than the dripping walls of this cave. Oh yes. My brother, it is quite possible that the closest either of us shall ever come to our God is right here.”

“Just the same, I think I’ll study on it some more and maybe I’ll see you at revival time.”

“I won’t be there this year, but another who loves the sweet Lord as I do will be, and he’ll do just as well.”

‘’It’s stopped raining now –least the sheep have left us for the outside and your horse is getting his bridle wet, nipping at the clover. Those sheep going out – it’s something like the dove that left Noah’s Ark after the Flood – you know, to see if the land was dry?”

“Yes, I know.” Robert smiled a little at having the passage explained.

“Well, so long, preacher.”

“Tell me one thing before you leave, my brother: do you really search for God?”

“I haven’t tried to fool you.”

“Then if you really search for Him, you have found Him already. When you discover this for yourself, make your surrender.”

The sky cleared and Gideon took his head.

“That’s it, old friend, let’s not tarry. We’ve miles yet to travel, and I would like to go by way of Marion and see my boys and my brother. I miss them all, Gideon.”

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 288-290- Back home with Eliza and little Eddie. Eliza actually makes a trip with Robert to Cripple Creek!
The sky was overcast when Robert reached the Irish Settlement at last. Little Eddie sat perched upon the lane gate, as he often did, and Robert called a greeting. The child scampered down and ran toward Gideon until he came abreast of the animal. In their usual manner, Robert removed his foot from the stirrup and lifted his son until both of the boy’s small I feet rested securely in the relinquished foothold. Then, with an exaggerated grunt, Robert lifted him the rest of the way into the saddle in front of him.

“There’s no sunshine; you don’t never come home when there’s no sunshine, Papa!”

“Then why were you waiting for me at the gate if you didn’t think I’d be coming home?”

“The sunshine came out for a little while.”

“I’ve come home many times when the sunshine wasn’t out. Can’t you remember back in the winter when the snow covered the ground?”

Robert released the boy and helped him slide to the ground. The child’s joyous shouts soon brought Eliza to the yard gate, and Robert removed his hat and inquired politely before he dismounted, “Does a Mrs. Sheffey live here?”

“Yes, but we’re beginning to wonder about Mr. Sheffey.”

He slid to the ground and embraced her. Then it started to sprinkle, and Eddie ran ahead of them into the house.

“I wanted it to be a pretty day when you came back. It usually is.”

“All my days are sunny, Eliza. If they are not, all I need. To do is look at you.”

“There comes a time when things must change, Robert,” Eliza said one day before the winter of 1871 was hardly over. “It would be best if we had our own home now. Eddie likes to frolic, and young and old do not always blend well.”

“You cover great troubles with small explanations, dear wife.”

“Not great troubles, Robert. Only a time of trusting and trials. Eddie and I will not always have the shelter of family. It is just as well that we face that now as later.”

“We are not to worry about the future, Eliza. My sweet Lord tells me that as plainly as any message He has placed upon my heart. I may not always be able to supply your needs, but by His grace He will place the joy of so doing on the heart of someone else and make them all the richer for it.”

Two days after Robert’s fifty-first birthday he moved Eliza and Eddie into the community of Sugar Run, only a few miles from the Irish Settlement. It was a beautifully lush valley of rich land and bold springs, inhabited by people long known and loved and previously ministered unto. For the most part they were simple farmers who tended their crops and meadows with loving labor. They possessed no great herds of livestock and those they did have responded to individual names spoken with affection.

He had preached many times at Eaton’s chapel, a picturesque little wooden church nestled along the valley, and had been deeply fond of the community and its people for as long as he had known them..

Eliza, after a trip with him to Cripple Creek, had made the observation that a great similarity existed between the two valleys.
“Why, it is so,” he agreed. “And little Eddie will be I never knew of more contented children anywhere in my travels than those on Cripple Creek. Sugar Run looks like the same kind of delightful place.”

Their rented home sat near the gristmill on the farm of Francis Farley and was modestly furnished by some of Eliza’s personal things plus some of his own furniture that he had stored for years at Cripple Creek. It was an odd-shaped house, with the front door and windows out of balance, as if the carpenter did not know what he was doing or had partaken I of refreshments before he had worked enough to get thirsty. German siding covered the outer walls, with curly oak shingles comprising the roof. It was set in an open field and had no trees except numerous fruit trees toward the rear of the house.

‘”What an assortment of odds and ends we have!” Eliza said good-naturedly when, after a week she had not arranged their things in a manner which seemed to suit her.

Neighbors filled their pantry, and before long Robert could wander about the small four rooms and be assured that Eliza had not once again changed everything completely around.

“It’s the bestest house we’ve ever lived in, Papa,” Eddie said from the very beginning.

The boy could be observed enjoying the simplest of pleasures as he sat by the groaning waterwheel of the gristmill, hearing the grating millstones pulverize ton upon ton of grain; or, when new adventure called, exploring the home of Lizards and crawfish in the brooks and branches that ran close to every side of the modest house.

One day he and Eliza and Eddie climbed the field to the rear of the house, and as they surveyed in wonder the patchwork of meadows and mountains stretching as far as they could see, a speck of activity around their own premises could be observed.

“Eliza, is that a horse at the back of our house?”

“It’s a man and a horse and plow.”

“Did you ask him to come?” Robert said.

“No. I believe we are seeing a neighborly kindness. Robert, have you been down on your sheepskin since we moved?”

When they descended the hill, Forrest Farley, Francis’s son, had already turned the first furrow of garden sod. Eddie immediately waded into the fresh dirt and picked up the fat white grubworms that had been unearthed.

They had to make Farley stop the horse in order to thank him for his kindness.

“You’re getting’ your garden out too late as it is,” he said dourly. “The old folks say if you plow early you can still freeze out a lot of the cuttin’ worms and bugs. Makes sense to me.”

Robert followed the plowman completely around the garden I on the next furrow, thanking him profusely at every corner.

“By the way, Mamma sent you a pound of honey,” the man said. “It’s on the front steps.”

Summer came, the garden matured, and Eliza and Eddie dined many times on fresh vegetables before Robert planned any prolonged trips away from home. He would not be traveling alone this time, for a new experiment in Christian outreach was being tried with which he was in accord.

At the urging of conference officials preachers of the district had been asked to work in groups of two or three and make home visitations preparatory to the August camp meetings held annually in several locations within the conference’s jurisdiction. Robert waited at home for the arrival of one Reverend Jordan; the two of them would meet Reverend Maiden in Pulaski County, the starting point for all of them.

Reverend Jordan arrived the first week of August. “I had not expected you this early, Brother Jordan,” Robert said. “I’ll get my affairs in order as quickly as I can and we’ll leave.”

He went over a few things with Eliza, demonstrating frustration with the volume of mail. He held two handfuls of letters, first looking at one and then the other.

“Tell that girl who wants me to pray that she can have the man she wants … tell her … tell her I want to wait and meet her friend. I want to know what I might be praying that young man into. Send the money to old Mr. Collins for the bushel of cornmeal. Write my friends at Smyth County Spratts Creek – I’ll come in the fall. Tell them all to pray for the success of the camp meetings. Say, ‘The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.’ That’s –all now. Everything else will have to wait.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Saint of the Wilderness Chapter 13 / 14
Little ditty to post between Chapters 13 & 14
What is a Methodist? by John Wesley ... In which Robert Sheffey was a shinning example!

1. We believe, indeed, that "all Scripture is given by the inspiration of God.” We believe the written word of God to be the only and sufficient rule both of Christian faith and practice.

2. We do not place our religion, or any part of it, in being attached to any peculiar mode of speaking, any quaint or uncommon set of expressions.

3. Our religion does not lie in doing what God has not enjoined, or abstaining from what he hath not forbidden. It does not lie in the form of our apparel, in the posture of our body, or the covering of our heads; nor yet in abstaining from marriage, or from meats and drinks, which are all good if received with thanksgiving.

4. Nor, lastly, is he distinguished by laying the whole stress of religion on any single part of it

5. "What then is the mark? Who is a Methodist, according to your own account?" I answer: A Methodist is one who has "the love of God shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost given unto him;" one who "loves the Lord his God with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind, and with all his strength. God is the joy of his heart, and the desire of his soul; which is constantly crying out, "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee! My God and my all! Thou art the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever!"

6. He is therefore happy in God, yea, always happy, as having in him "a well of water springing up into everlasting life," and overflowing his soul with peace and joy. "Perfect love" having now "cast out fear," he "rejoices evermore." He "rejoices in the Lord always," even "in God his Saviour;" and in the Father, "through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom he hath now received the atonement." "Having" found "redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of his sins," he cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks back on the horrible pit out of which he is delivered; when he sees "all his transgressions blotted out as a cloud, and his iniquities as a thick cloud." He cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks on the state wherein he now is; "being justified freely, and having peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." For "he that believeth, hath the witness" of this "in himself;" being now the son of God by faith. "Because he is a son, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into his heart, crying, Abba, Father!" And "the Spirit itself beareth witness with his spirit, that he is a child of God." He rejoiceth also, whenever he looks forward, "in hope of the glory that shall be revealed;" yea, this his joy is full, and all his bones cry out, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who, according to his abundant mercy, hath begotten me again to a living hope -- of an inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for me!"

7. And he who hath this hope, thus "full of immortality, in everything giveth thanks;" as knowing that this (whatsoever it is) "is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning him." From him, therefore, he cheerfully receives all, saying, "Good is the will of the Lord;" and whether the Lord giveth or taketh away, equally "blessing the name of the Lord." For he hath "learned, in whatsoever state he is, therewith to be content." He knoweth "both how to be abased and how to abound

8. For indeed he "prays without ceasing." It is given him "always to pray, and not to faint.”

9. And while he thus always exercises his love to God, by praying without ceasing, rejoicing evermore, and in everything giving thanks, this commandment is written in his heart, "That he who loveth God, love his brother also." And he accordingly loves his neighbour as himself; he loves every man as his own soul. His heart is full of love to all mankind, to every child of "the Father of the spirits of all flesh

10. For he is "pure in heart." The love of God has purified his heart from all revengeful passions, from envy, malice, and wrath, from every unkind temper or malign affection. It hath cleansed him from pride and haughtiness of spirit, whereof alone cometh contention. And he hath now "put on bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering:" So that he "forbears and forgives, if he had a quarrel against any; even as God in Christ hath forgiven him." And indeed all possible ground for contention, on his part, is utterly cut off. For none can take from him what he desires; seeing he "loves not the world, nor" any of "the things of the world;" being now "crucified to the world, and the world crucified to him;" being dead to all that is in the world, both to "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life." For "all his desire is unto God, and to the remembrance of his name."

11. Agreeable to this his one desire, is the one design of his life, namely, "not to do his own will, but the will of Him that sent him." His one intention at all times and in all things is, not to please himself, but Him whom his soul loveth. He has a single eye. And because "his eye is single, his whole body is full of light." Indeed, where the loving eye of the soul is continually fixed upon God, there can be no darkness at all, "but the whole is light; as when the bright shining of a candle doth enlighten the house." God then reigns alone. All that is in the soul is holiness to the Lord. There is not a motion in his heart, but is according to his will. Every thought that arises points to Him, and is in obedience to the law of Christ.

12. And the tree is known by its fruits. For as he loves God, so he keeps his commandments; not only some, or most of them, but all, from the least to the greatest. He is not content to "keep the whole law, and offend in one point;" but has, in all points, "a conscience void of offence towards God and towards man."

13. All the commandments of God he accordingly keeps, and that with all his might. For his obedience is in proportion to his love, the source from whence it flows. And therefore, loving God with all his heart, he serves him with all his strength.

14. By consequence, whatsoever he doeth, it is all to the glory of God. His one invariable rule is this, "Whatsoever ye do, in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

15. Nor do the customs of the world at all hinder his "running the race that is set before him." He knows that vice does not lose its nature, though it becomes ever so fashionable; and remembers, that "every man is to give an account of himself to God." He cannot, therefore, "follow" even "a multitude to do evil." He cannot "fare sumptuously every day," or "make provision for the flesh to fulfill the lusts thereof." He cannot "lay up treasures upon earth," any more than he can take fire into his bosom. He cannot "adorn himself," on any pretence, "with gold or costly apparel." He cannot join in or countenance any diversion which has the least tendency to vice of any kind. He cannot "speak evil" of his neighbour, any more than he can lie either for God or man. He cannot utter an unkind word of any one; for love keeps the door of his lips. He cannot speak "idle words;" "no corrupt communication" ever "comes out of his mouth," as is all that "which is" not "good to the use of edifying," not "fit to minister grace to the hearers." But "whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are" justly "of good report," he thinks, and speaks, and acts, "adorning the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ in all things."

16. Lastly. As he has time, he "does good unto all men;" unto neighbours and strangers, friends and enemies: And that in every possible kind; not only to their bodies, by "feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting those that are sick or in prison;" but much more does he labour to do good to their souls, as of the ability which God giveth; to awaken those that sleep in death; to bring those who are awakened to the atoning blood, that, "being justified by faith, they may have peace with God;" and to provoke those who have peace with God to abound more in love and in good works.

17. These are the principles and practices of our sect; these are the marks of a true Methodist. By these alone do those who are in derision so called, desire to be distinguished from other men. If any man say, "Why, these are only the common fundamental principles of Christianity!" thou hast said; so I mean; this is the very truth; I know they are no other; and I would to God both thou and all men knew, that I, and all who follow my judgment, do vehemently refuse to be distinguished from other men, by any but the common principles of Christianity, -- the plain, old Christianity that I teach, renouncing and detesting all other marks of distinction. And having the mind that was in Christ, he so walks as Christ also walked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Saint of the Wilderness- Between Chapter 13 / 14
The Methodist Open Air Services (Also called Camp Meetings)
==============================
In the history of the church of Jesus Christ I believe seven churches within the one…

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna - Martyrs - Note: Foxes Book of Martyrs lists the persecutions as ten.
3. Pergamos - A fortified structure in the Greek - Orthodoxy flourished here.
4. Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to dominate and control.
5. Sardis - A Gem in the Greek - Protestants very rigid on the doctrine
6. Philadelphia - Brotherly Love - The Wesleyan Revivals
7. Laodicea - The Material Church - Word of faith, Charismatic, etc.

The beauty of Wesleyanism was that the people were not rigid on the doctrine, nor greedy in the ministry. So there is a huge difference between a true Methodist and those of any other sect. A Methodists jewels are in his character. As his character is full of faith, hope, charity, joy, and a wonderful countenance, he has no need for rigid doctrine or great material possessions. I have read that John Wesley said "When a man dies they should have enough to bury him and a few pense for his friends!" In which, as you will soon read, Robert Sheffey will spend his remaining days with a friend and die with very little earthly possessions!

The second beauty of Wesleyanism are in the open air services. I have read in John Wesley’s journal…

“People dropped on every side as thunderstruck as they fell to the ground, others with convulsions exceeding all description and many reported seeing visions. Some shook like a cloth in the wind, others roared and screamed or fell down with involuntary laughter. About sixty of our brethren until three in the morning, the power of God came mightily on us, insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground.”

“Lord send us revival without its defects but if this is not possible, send revival, defects and all.” – A prayer from John Wesley from Wesley’s journal - Jan. 1, 1739

The doctrine of the Philadelphians were Methodist in practice…

1. Justification – Faith in God
2. Salvation – The sinners prayer
3. Sanctification – As the Methodist would have it, the acquiring of a sweet spirit
4. The Witness of the Spirit – As Pentecostals would have it, with the speaking of tongues

The Methodist during the time of Robert Sheffey basically dropped the lingo. The order of services of these camp meetings would normally proceed like this…

1. Song service
2. Preaching by various ministers… Sometimes an all-day event!
3. The alter service – For those in need of salvation
4. The after service – Seeking the deeper spiritual experiences.

I have heard the old timers tell about a man seeking sanctification during this time. His wife opens the door and finds the guy beating his horse for not plowing straight rows. His wife then yells “Not yet honey… Not yet!” When one gets truly sanctified his heart is full of love for Jesus. It was said that when one gets truly sanctified the first creatures to know about it would be the family animals. Instead of kicking them you will show love and gentleness.

It is too bad, I think, that Jess Carr did not write enough of the spirituality of the Methodist Camp Meetings... But he did a great job in capturing the character. In the upcoming chapters we are going to thankfully get more and more into the anatomy of the Wabash Camp meetings. And rediscover the beauty of things long forgotten!

Robert Sheffey... Not ashamed of the title 'Shouting Methodist!' I have heard countless old timers recollect that if you would serve honey with the morning biscuits that he would shout (God's praises) over the food!
220px-RobertSheffey.JPG

The Methodist Camp meetings of the 1800's have also been called the second great awakening and the effect on church attendance profound...
Growth_of_Denominations_in_America_1780_to_1860.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Saint of the Wilderness Chapter 14
Page 287-288 - The Sheffeys move into a new home
“There comes a time when things must change, Robert,” Eliza said one day before the winter of 1871 was hardly over. “It would be best if we had our own home now. Eddie likes to frolic, and young and old do not always blend well.”

“You cover great troubles with small explanations, dear wife.”

“Not great troubles, Robert. Only a time of trusting and trials. Eddie and I will not always have the shelter of family. It is just as well that we face that now as later.”

“We are not to worry about the future, Eliza. My sweet Lord tells me that as plainly as any message He has placed upon my heart. I may not always be able to supply your needs, but by His grace He will place the joy of so doing on the heart of someone else and make them all the richer for it.”

Two days after Robert’s fifty-first birthday he moved Eliza and Eddie into the community of Sugar Run, only a few miles from the Irish Settlement. It was a beautifully lush valley of rich land and bold springs, inhabited by people long known and loved and previously ministered unto. For the most part they were simple farmers who tended their crops and meadows with loving labor. They possessed no great herds of livestock and those they did have responded to individual names spoken with affection.

He had preached many times at Eaton’s chapel, a picturesque little wooden church nestled along the valley, and had been deeply fond of the community and its people for as long as he had known them. Eliza, after a trip with him to Cripple Creek, had made the observation that a great similarity existed between the two valleys.

“Why, it is so,” he agreed. “And little Eddie will be I never knew of more contented children anywhere in my travels than those on Cripple Creek. Sugar Run looks like the same kind of delightful place.”

Their rented home sat near the gristmill on the farm of Francis Farley and was modestly furnished by some of Eliza’s personal things plus some of his own furniture that he had stored for years at Cripple Creek. It was an odd-shaped house, with the front door and windows out of balance, as if the carpenter did not know what he was doing or had partaken I of refreshments before he had worked enough to get thirsty. German siding covered the outer walls, with curly oak shingles comprising the roof. It was set in an open field and had no trees except numerous fruit trees toward the rear of the house.

‘”What an assortment of odds and ends we have!” Eliza said good-naturedly when, after a week she had not arranged their things in a manner which seemed to suit her.

Neighbors filled their pantry, and before long Robert could wander about the small four rooms and be assured that Eliza had not once again changed everything completely around.

“It’s the bestest house we’ve ever lived in, Papa,” Eddie said from the very beginning.

The boy could be observed enjoying the simplest of pleasures as he sat by the groaning waterwheel of the gristmill, hearing the grating millstones pulverize ton upon ton of grain; or, when new adventure called, exploring the home of Lizards and crawfish in the brooks and branches that ran close to every side of the modest house.

One day he and Eliza and Eddie climbed the field to the rear of the house, and as they surveyed in wonder the patchwork of meadows and mountains stretching as far as they could see, a speck of activity around their own premises could be observed.

“Eliza, is that a horse at the back of, our house?”

“It’s a man and a horse and plow.”

“Did you ask him to come?” Robert said.

“No. I believe we are seeing a neighborly kindness. Robert, have you been down on your sheepskin since we moved?”

When they descended the hill, Forrest Farley, Francis’s son, had already turned the first furrow of garden sod. Eddie immediately waded into the fresh dirt and picked up the fat white grubworms that had been unearthed.

They had to make Farley stop the horse in order to thank him for his kindness.

“You’re getting’ your garden out too late as it is,” he said dourly. “The old folks say if you plow early you can still freeze out a lot of the cuttin’ worms and bugs. Makes sense to me.”

Robert followed the plowman completely around the garden I on the next furrow, thanking him profusely at every corner.

“By the way, Mamma sent you a pound of honey,” the man said. “It’s on the front steps.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Excerpts from the book “Brother Sheffey” by William Sanders Barbery
Stories handed down during the early part of the marriage with Eliza.
The Sheffey family, after years of residence in the “Irish Settlement,” moved to Staffordsville. Here they lived in a house about one hundred yards above Walker’s Creek. The house in which they lived faced the old ford of the creek and many times Sheffey dared the swollen stream and the treacherous ford to get home to his family upon his return from one of his many preaching tours. He never approached the house without taking off his hat for he was the very soul of politeness whether in the home where his family resided or in the home of some of his countless friends across the wide stretches of territory which he traveled.

One day he came home from one of his journeys to find the creek below his home sweeping on its way in raging torrents as a result of the heavy rainfalls throughout the preceding day and night. A number of inhabitants of the small community were watching the swirling waters and saw Sheffey ride up to the ford unperturbed and undaunted They called to him and tried to warn him that it would be dangerous to attempt to cross then. But he rode in as calmly as he had ridden down the mountain trail.

When he had reached the other side in safety they watched as he dismounted and took his sheepskin and spread it out upon the ground and knelt down to pray. The prayer being over, he mounted his animal and started toward his home. Someone said to him, “Why didn’t you pray before you entered the stream?” The answer was typical of Sheffey. It revealed the calm spirit of his soul “There is no virtue in a scared prayer.” He had trusted God many times. Why not trust Him now? God could control the fury of the angry waters. Sheffey knew that and there was not the shadow of doubt in his soul as he rode into the very jaws of death itself on his way to his humble home and his little family who awaited his coming with eager hearts.

Sometimes he would ride up to his house and without dismounting call his wife out and talk with her like two children who are infatuated with each other. His greetings were quite brief, and then he would say to his wife, “Eliza, I have got to hurry; I must be at my next appointment.” Or .. “I have to start a revival” at some point this evening. Sheffey would never loiter at any place. He was always in a hurry. David C. Stafford used to say of him that “He was always in a hurry.” When he visited a home he would say almost immediately alter his arrival, “Let everybody come into the house for prayer.” He lived in the saddle. Except for his preaching appointments and his visits into the homes of the people where he visited.

Eliza Stafford Sheffey trusted this man like she trusted God. She believed in him as she believed in the God to whom she had committed her very life together with all that she had in this world. Her faith was as the faith of her husband. Through the centuries there had been countless thousands who had trusted Him. He had not failed them; He would not fail her. While her beloved husband was away on an errand for the Lord she kept vigil over the home and the lad who came into her life to comfort her heart in moments of loneliness. And when the sunset hour had come to her soul she went to sleep like “A dutiful daughter, devoted wife, loving mother and faithful Christian.” (Inscription on her monument).

There are literally thousands of stories told about his manner of prayer and the answers that came in response to those prayers. If these stories could all be gathered together men would open their eyes in wonderment.

The story which follows came from the lips of a man who had heard his father recite it over and over again. Near the Sheffey home, in “the Irish settlement,” there lived a neighbor who was visited quite often by this quaint character. Sheffey had ridden up to the home and placed his horse in the barn remaining at the home for some time thereafter. A new gate had recently been erected at the bam. To get his horse it was necessary to go through this gate. When the time came for his departure he sent a member of the family out to the barn for his horse. A new locust post had been planted at the gate and a hole bored into the post for a pin which held the gate in place. During his visit a heavy rain had fallen and the pin was swollen until it was impossible to remove it. The young man who had gone for the horse came back to the house and said he could not remove the pin so as to open the gate. Sheffey quietly walked out to the gate with his umbrella over him, for it was still raining, and after lifting his hat and bowing his head for a moment in silent prayer. He took hold of the pin, pulled it out, and got on his horse and rode away without saying even a word.

Over in Wythe county, Virginia, near the site of the old Asbury camp meeting ground, lived a man by the name of, Scott. He owned a place where he sold liquor and the business had become a source of evil in that section. Brother Sheffey often visited in that community and he saw the results of the liquor traffic upon the people of the neighborhood. This excited his concern for he was always the avowed enemy of every business of this nature. In a religious service he talked to the Lord about the matter and asked that the home of Scott might become the home of a Methodist preacher and that the still-house where the liquor was made might be remodeled and made into a barn for the preacher’s horse and that the trough would be turned into a trough where the preacher’s horse would be fed.

The years passed by and the prayer was almost forgotten. When the Rural Retreat circuit was about to be divided and the Cedar Springs circuit formed the Scott place was bought by the church people and the homes remodeled into a home for the pastor of the Cedar Springs circuit. Some carpenters were called in and they, in company with some members of the circuit, were converting the still-house into a barn. They were also using the trough in which the still-worm had lain to make a trough for the preacher’s horse. Suddenly and unexpectedly someone of those present remarked. “Well, this is the answer to the prayers of Brother Sheffey.” And then he recited the story of his prayer in the religious service in the neighborhood many years prior to that time.

Another time he stopped at the Hardiman home. Mr. Hardiman was engaged in digging a well. He had been digging for days but there was no water in sight and he had just about decided to abandon the work and start digging at another place. Brother Sheffey said, “Let me talk to the Lord and see what He says about it.” He prayed and then he said. “The Lord says to keep on digging. You will have’ plenty of water after awhile.” Hardiman kept on digging and finally be struck water and the well actually flowed over. He had struck a stream of water that was ever flowing.

Another time he was passing through a certain section where there was a very severe drought. The crops appeared to be dying and cattle were suffering from lack of water. It was a very serious situation to the people of that part of the countryside. Sheffey stopped his horse and went into the woods to pray. He urged the Lord to send rain and save the crops and the stock of the people from the perils of the drought. There was no sign of rain anywhere at the time. , but a few hours later clouds began to form and soon the rain descended upon the land and relief came to the impoverished crops and stock. One day after another it was like this to Sheffey. But these things were commonplace experiences to him. God was his daily companion and he talked with Him as he traveled across the hills engaged in the Master’s business.

Upon one occasion, when Sheffey was visiting in the neighborhood of Bland courthouse, he stopped at the home of William M. Williams. About this time Martin Williams, who later became one of the outstanding lawyers of Southwestern Virginia, was desperately ill of typhoid fever. Several physicians had been called in for consultation. The young man was given up to die. When Brother Sheffey heard of his condition he immediately began to pray for the recovery of the youth. Finally, he went to Mrs. Williams and advised her that there was no need for further alarm. That the patient would recover. In a very brief time he began to improve and in a short time was entirely well again. This story was given to the writer by Mrs. Martin Williams. Widow of the distinguished Virginians, and a granddaughter of Aden Newberry, who was residing at Pearisburg at the time she told me the story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Excerpts from the book “Brother Sheffey” by William Sanders Barbery (2)
There was also a fear that began to follow the reputation of Robert Sayers Sheffey. As he began to get a reputation of a man of God people began to fear the prayers he would pray.
Matthew Ellis Bailey related the following incident to Rev. John B. Staley, at the time the pastor of the Methodist church at Montcalm. About the year 1883 Mr. Bailey lived not far from the Clark’s Gap community in Mercer county, W. Va., and Brother Sheffey following out his preaching tours would stop at the Bailey home. In that community the preacher had announced that he would start a revival at a school house on a certain date. The time had arrived and in company with Mr. Bailey they repaired to the appointed place. But there was not a single soul in sight. None appeared for the service. As the two were returning to the Bailey home the old preacher gave out a sad prophecy. Said he “A great calamity will come to this community. And you will see it.” Mr. Bailey tells how in few months a terrible epidemic of small-pox struck that community and took a great majority of the people away. Whole families were taken, and often days would elapse before many of them were found.

At Bland courthouse Brother Sheffey went to a lawyer’s office. The office was located in one end of the building with a chimney in the middle. Brother Sheffey asked the lawyer if that was a bar-room, in the other end of the building, and he told him it was. Brother Sheffey knelt down in the lawyer’s office and prayed to the Lord that the chimney would fall on the end of the house in which the bar-room was located. The lawyer stated that a few weeks after this, he was sitting in his office and he heard the plaster begin to fall. And that the chimney fell over and caved in the roof to the room in which the saloon was located.

Writing on “Preachers and Religion of the Mountains Fifty Years Ago” the Rev. William Henry Book of Orlando. Florida, published the following article in the New Castle (Va.) Record. The date of the publication of the article is not known. It came into our possession through a friend living at Bastian, Va. It follows:

“One of the most unique and original preachers of the past century was Robert Sayers Sheffey. He was a true type of the John Wesley Methodists. He was in every sense of the word, a circuit rider. He was in many ways, a free lance. And no set of bishops could boss him. He would leave his home unannounced and be gone for weeks. Out into the mountain gorges and into the little villages he went with his type of religion. He had a passion for souls and labored diligently resting upon the promises of God for his support. He knew what it was to sacrifice the comforts of life and to give himself for others. He was a welcome guest in the homes of Christian people; but distillers and gamblers were afraid of him. I have heard of the way he would go to a man’s still and get down on his knees and pray for it to be destroyed, and soon after that earnest prayer, a storm or a fire would make havoc of it. He made it his business to pray in front of stills. And he was a holy terror in the presence of the liquor dealer. He had the reputation of being a man of earnest prayer and one who received answers to his prayers.”

Quoting Mr. Thomas further: “A short time before Brother Sheffey’s death he was holding a meeting at Siloam church in Wythe county and he heard in advance that two men were contemplating the erection of a bar room just across the road from that church. These prospective barkeepers thought that Brother Sheffey would refer to their undertaking at his first service, so they attended that service. Brother Sheffey made a very fervent prayer and told the Lord that two men were thinking of erecting a bar-room within the shadow of the church and he asked the Lord to change the minds of these wicked men. He also asked the Lord if he would not change their minds to strike them down dead and remove them from the face of the earth. After the service was over these men told several people that they would make anybody a present of the bar room lot. As they were afraid of Brother Sheffey’s prayers being answered. This bar was never erected at the proposed location."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Cripple Creek Camp meetings....

As this book was written in the mid 70's Jess Carr could only do so much research. As Staffordsville was in his back yard he did a lot more writings on the activities of the Wabash Campground, which was right outside Staffordsville.

But there were camp meetings at Cripple Creek called the "Asbury Campground" that were attended by Roberts first (Elizabeth and kids) and second family (Eliza and Eddie). As these meetings were spiritually charged I would expect the 'After Service' to go into the wee hours of the morning.

The earliest writings I could find were these...

[FONT=&quot]A John Newland donated land for the "Asbury Camp Ground" in 1743
"...This is a place, where for many years, the religious services known as camp meetings were held,...It is a grassy plot of ground located at the foot of a large wooded hill. Cripple Creek flows by it, hence there was a bountiful water supply for the many horses used in bringing the people to the meeting. A clear, sparkling spring, flowing from under the hill, known as The Camp Ground spring furnished water for the thirsty people...

George Clark Rankin. The Story of My Life Or More Than a Half Century As I Have Lived It and Seen It Lived Written by Myself at My Own Suggestion and That of Many Others Who Have Known and Loved Me

(Story of Robert Sheffey at the Cripple Creek Camp Meeting by a George Clark Rankin - Note the above url must be opened in IE to see the story on page 241)

The Wytheville circuit was a large one, comprising seventeen appointments. They were practically scattered all over the county. I preached every other day, and never less than twice and generally three times on Sunday.

The famous Cripple Creek Campground was on that work. They have kept up campmeetings there for more than a hundred years. It is still the great rallying point for the Methodists of all that section. I have never heard such singing and preaching and shouting anywhere else in my life. I met the Rev. John Boring there and heard him preach. He was a well-known preacher in the conference; original, peculiar, strikingly odd, but a great revival preacher.

The rarest character I ever met in my life I met at that campmeeting in the person of Rev. Robert Sheffy, known as "Bob" Sheffy. He was recognized all over Southwest Virginia as the most eccentric preacher of that country. He was a local preacher; crude, illiterate, queer and the oddest specimen known among preachers. But he was saintly in his life, devout in his experience and a man of unbounded faith. He wandered hither and thither over that section attending meetings, holding revivals and living among the people. He was great in prayer, and Cripple Creek campground was not complete without "Bob" Sheffy. They wanted him there to pray and work in the altar.

He was wonderful with penitents. And he was great in following up the sermon with his exhortations and appeals. He would sometimes spend nearly the whole night in the straw with mourners; and now and then if the meeting lagged he would go out on the mountain and spend the entire night in prayer, and the next morning he would come rushing into the service with his face all aglow shouting at the top of his voice. And then the meeting always broke loose with a floodtide.

He could say the oddest things, hold the most unique interviews with God, break forth in the most unexpected spasms of praise, use the homeliest illustrations, do the funniest things and go through with the most grotesque performances of any man born of woman.

It was just "Bob" Sheffy, and nobody thought anything of what he did and said, except to let him have his own way and do exactly as he pleased. In anybody else it would not have been tolerated for a moment. In fact, he acted more like a crazy man than otherwise, but he was wonderful in a meeting. He would stir the people, crowd the mourner's bench with crying penitents and have genuine conversions by the score. I doubt if any man in all that conference has as many souls to his credit in the Lamb's Book of Life as old "Bob" Sheffy.

At the close of that year in casting up my accounts I found that I had received three hundred and ninety dollars for my year's work, and the most of this had been contributed in everything except money. It required about the amount of cash contributed to pay my associate and the Presiding Elder. I got the chickens, the eggs, the butter, the ribs and backbones, the corn, the meat, and the Presiding Elder and Brother Stradley had helped us to eat our part of the quarterage. Well, we kept open house and had a royal time, even if we did not get much ready cash. We lived and had money enough to get a good suit of clothes and to pay our way to conference. What more does a young Methodist preacher need or want? We were satisfied and happy, and these experiences are not to be counted as unimportant assets in the life and work of a Methodist circuit rider.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Saint of the Wilderness- Between Chapter 13 / 14
The Methodist Open Air Services (Also called Camp Meetings)
==============================
In the history of the church of Jesus Christ I believe seven churches within the one…

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna - Martyrs - Note: Foxes Book of Martyrs lists the persecutions as ten.
3. Pergamos - A fortified structure in the Greek - Orthodoxy flourished here.
4. Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to dominate and control.
5. Sardis - A Gem in the Greek - Protestants very rigid on the doctrine
6. Philadelphia - Brotherly Love - The Wesleyan Revivals
7. Laodicea - The Material Church - Word of faith, Charismatic, etc.
The 4th assembly is an interesting study and is the assembly which Jesus actually proclaims Himself Son of God :) :angel:

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series

Reve 2:18 And to the messenger of the assembly of Thyatira write:
These things saith the Son of God, who is having his eyes as a flame of fire, and his feet like to fine brass;
19 I have known thy works, and love, and ministration, and faith, and thy endurance, and thy works--and the last [are] more than the first.

The church in Thyatira has a longer message delivered to it from Jesus Christ than any of the seven churches, although it is interesting to note that the church there is the smallest of the seven, and the city of Thyatira is the smallest of the seven cities

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 290-293- Introducing the Lady Nick (Short for Nicodemus)
Summer came, the garden matured, and Eliza and Eddie dined many times on fresh vegetables before Robert planned any prolonged trips away from home. He would not be traveling alone this time, for a new experiment in Christian outreach was being tried with which he was in accord.

At the urging of conference officials preachers of the district had been asked to work in groups of two or three and make home visitations preparatory to the August camp meetings held annually in several locations within the conference’s jurisdiction.

Robert waited at home for the arrival of one Reverend Jordan; the two of them would meet Reverend Maiden in Pulaski County, the starting point for all of them.

Reverend Jordan arrived the first week of August. “I had not expected you this early, Brother Jordan,” Robert said. “I’ll get my affairs in order as quickly as I can and we’ll leave.”

He went over a few things with Eliza, demonstrating frustration with the volume of mail. He held two handfuls of letters, first looking at one and then the other.

“Tell that girl who wants me to pray that she can have the man she wants … tell her … tell her I want to wait and meet her friend. I want to know what I might be praying that young man into. Send the money to old Mr. Collins for the bushel of cornmeal. Write my friends at Smyth County Spratts Creek – I’ll come in the fall. Tell them all to pray for the success of the camp meetings. Say, ‘The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.’ That’s –all now. Everything else will have to wait.”

It was dark before they reached Pulaski County and met Brother Maiden. They were to stay the night in the spacious O’Dell home, Robert and Reverend Jordan were informed, and both men confessed to being ready for both bread and bed. The O’Dell family was large, and Robert sat thinking with some apprehension as to whether the table, as big and laden with cockery as it was, would accommodate them all.

“There’s plenty of room and a whole lot more chicken when we need it,” the master of the house said as his perspiring wife lowered the final plate of chicken and dropped into her chair. The next day all three men began their visitations in the Newbern section of the county. There was hardly a Methodist family who did not already plan to come to the Wabash camp meeting, located only a few miles from the Irish Settlement, or to some other camp meeting within the district. Presbyterians, Baptists, and a mixture of others soon let it be known that they too would attend as they had in past years.

After a week of hearing this same good news everywhere they went, Robert suggested that they have a special Saturday service of fellowship and dedication, wherein the “good Methodist brothers and sisters can come together and pray about what they plan to do to keep the fervor of godliness alive and growing until the camp meetings actually begin.”

The Saturday service Robert proposed was arranged at the Thorn Spring church near the village of Pulaski. What had been planned as a one-day service of prayer and. Unity-of-purpose meeting, evolved into a spontaneous revival to equal the fervor of any camp meeting, though on a much smaller scale.

A nightly service continued on Monday after the successes of Saturday, Saturday night, and the three services on Sunday. Word of these spread rapidly throughout the county and adjoining areas.

“Praise my sweet Lord, if they keep coming we’ll be needed here another week,” Robert said to his two friends and the church’s regular minister, who himself had enlisted two the church’s regular minister, who himself had enlisted two more preachers of his district.

”What has caused it?” each asked of the other.

“They are earnestly preparing for the camp meetings,” Robert said, “and their souls beg of their ears not to close.”

“If hunger anticipates bread. My brothers, we had best get better-organized,” their host pastor suggested. “They almost overran us last night. I’m going to ask Brother Bob Sheffey to work at the altar and exhort from the aisles. Also I want his prayers to open the service. Brother Jordan. Will preach first tonight, followed by those remaining. I will ask Brother Maiden to lead the singing.”

Not one-half of the assembled crowd that night was able to crowd into the small church, but it was warm and the pulpit and pews were moved outside so that there would be no separation of the congregation.

The penitents were many, some even starting their journeys to the front long before the call had come. The conviction of the penitents was so profound that Robert marveled at having seen it only five or six times during his entire lifetime. The most hardened of known resisters to spiritual conversion now sat at the mourners’ bench unashamedly tear-soaked and submissive.
Robert stayed on his knees at the bench until the last of : the mourners was either soundly converted or had retreated to face the haunting knowledge that he had been so close and now stood so far away.

One of the deacons came to Robert after the service had ended, and reported that a woman had watched from behind an apple tree to the south of the churchyard. In fact, the deacon added, the same woman had been seen listening through the open church window on the previous night as well.

“Who is she? Perhaps she is feebleminded and fears us,” Robert said.

“I don’t know her, but I’ll try to find out.”

The woman did not appear the next evening, but by then her identity had been established.

“She is the wife of a prominent merchant and one of our members works on her husband’s plantation. Our church treasurer says that the family is very wealthy and owns property down in North Carolina.”

Robert wiped his tired and perspiring brow but said nothing.

“Do you think I ought to go to her and ask her to come and be seated with the congregation?” the deacon asked.

“Yes, but something is amiss. If she desired our fellowship or our sweet Lord’s saving grace she would not tarry behind the trees. We must not be surprised if she comes to poke fun at us.”

“I will watch out for her tomorrow night then,” the deacon said.

After services the next night the deacon reported back, excitedly, “She came, but when I started to approach her she moved quickly away from me.”

Robert remembered her in his prayers then without really knowing why or what specific thing he might ask of a loving God on her behalf. The following night he gave instructions that he was to be signaled if the woman appeared and he would have another of the preachers take over his duties.

Before the service began, the woman was spotted, but Robert purposely left her alone until things were well underway. Quietly he slipped outside the island of light provided by hanging lanterns and pedestal-supported lamps. She stood behind the same tree, though unhidden, for the whiteness of her dress by moonlight outlined her perfectly.

She started to turn as he got near, but he asked her to please wait. “My sister, our fellowship would be richly blessed if you would sit among us.”

“Sit among you! I don’t see a soul who looks like they have retained a shred of their dignity. Why, they have yielded themselves completely –“

“Yes, they have got in a good way, but only because they are confessing their unworthiness, their sin – and they love their Lord so much –“

“I don’t care to come and sit – that is – I just heard about the meetings and I was curious.”

“But you have been with us before and we do not honor our sweet Lord when you are outside our fellowship.”

“Yes, I’ve been here before, but I was – I’m just curious,” she repeated.

“Is there anything the sweet Lord has laid on my heart that I may tell you?”

“No. Nothing. There is nothing I wish to hear.”

“Will you come back tomorrow night?”

“No.”

“If I hadn’t come to you, would you have come back?”

“I will not tell you that,” she said.

His eyes adjusted to her young, pretty face in the moonlight, and he expected to see her smile in her defeat of him but she did not. Nothing at all in her face supported the imagery by which he had characterized her.

She excused herself then and walked from him.. The swish of her dress could be heard long after she disappeared from view. Presently the sound of a galloping horse could be heard traveling southward toward the village.

The woman appeared no more and on Saturday night the meeting closed. [FONT=&quot]After the camp meeting at Wabash was over, the last of August, Robert was free to journey to Smyth County at Spratt’s Creek and assist the pastor there in a two-day service[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 294-295- The Good Friend Monroe
He rode from Sugar Run joyously, for the successes of the meetings at Wabash still warmed his heart. Only during the war had he personally witnessed an equal fervor, but those had been troubled times, when the pressures of war might have driven some people to a place of collective worship. But at Wabash the conversions were more spontaneous.

Passing through Bland, he learned that an old friend had died in the community of Ceres, to the west of the county seat.
“We can go by that route just as well, Gideon, and it would do my heart good to walk with Monroe to his last resting place. The tragedy of his life is yet so near to me. But he won out. Bless Jesus, he won out. I have preached at the Red Oak church many times, Gideon, and there were times when the hearts of the people were so cold. I’m going to ask the Lord to shake up that place.”

When he reached Ceres the funeral was almost over, but he took a seat on the back pew as the casket lid was being closed and the minister stood at the feet of the family, ready to utter the final prayer of the service. As the preacher followed the coffin out, he motioned Robert to follow him.

“Brother Sheffey, I didn’t see you back there or I’d have asked you to pray,” he said. “I know how long it took you to deliver the soul of this brother into the keeping of our Father – Monroe told me before he died and he also told me the story that you heard from his own lips years ago. He died a good man, and he would be honored if you would lead his burial procession with me.”

Robert willingly consented, and the two men walked along the dirt road ahead of the casket. Only a few hundred feet after the procession had started, Robert lifted his hand and asked everyone to stop while he knelt beside a deep wagon track and lifted from its dirt-walled prison a tumblebug that lay helplessly upon its back. He delivered the insect to safety on the opposite bank, but, rather than returning to the procession, he sat there remembering the man whose cold corpse they now carried to the cemetery.

The bug, the creature of God’s creation that he had just rescued, was walled in by its helpless position. Mankind, he thought, was subject to the same imprisonment – symbolically speaking, at least, it had been so with the dead man. He had cut his own groove and made his own prison walls that few others could see.

“Brother Bob . . . we are holding up the procession.” A gentle hand touched his shoulder. . He stood and walked, and the creaking wheels of the horse-drawn hearse moved the procession forward again.

“Dust thou art, to dust retumeth,” he repeated to Gideon when they were on their way to Smyth County again. “These words ought to make a man honest, wouldn’t you say? Monroe wasn’t always honest, but he died honest. Would you like to hear about it, Gideon? Would you like to hear about it, old friend ?”

The animal whinnied.

“Well, it was like this: I knew Monroe for ten years before I ever got close to him, or before he’d even let me pray with him, for that matter. I could tell the first time I met him that he carried a terrible burden on his heart, and one day I told him so. He laughed at me, and it was another seven years before he wrote me to come to his house – that we had something to discuss. I went, but he wouldn’t talk in his home; we went to the barn instead. He didn’t speak a word; he cried as if his heart would break, and I gave him his time, there in the straw he revealed to me that in his youth he had burned down a man’s store and his house – everything in the world the man had, Gideon. He did it for pure meanness, he told me with his own lips that the storekeeper had never even been unkind to him. For pure meanness, Gideon! Everything in the world the man and his wife possessed – and they were old, he said, and had not son nor daughter to go to. Oh, yes, I asked him why he didn’t go to them when he could stand the burden of guilt no longer, and he said that he had, when a number of years had passed, but that both of the old folks were dead. Even after that first trip he went other times to Mercer County where he had done the awful deed and stood tearstained in the ashes of the house and store he had destroyed.”

“In all my years, Gideon, I have not met a man so racked with guilt and regret. But he and I and the sweet Lord found peace together and he was ninety-four when we put him under the ground today. I do not know whether my sweet Lord gave him so much time to remember or so much time to forget, but he did die in peace. Of that there is no doubt.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 296-300- One more trip to Brother James... The children would all run out to meet him!

The next day Robert stood in the pulpit of the Spratt’s Creek church and made it clear that he was in no hurry to begin the services.

“Smyth County is too dear to me to hurry away from this place,” he said. “I like to ride here from any direction, for the good handiwork of our God is everywhere. Pray with, me that we may preserve it and cherish it until the smallest black ant is safe within our care. I stayed with a dear sweet family in Chilhowie last night, but I was not treated so well. My bed linen was not crisp with fresh sunlight, and the good sister did not keep her children clean. I think I am in better quarters here in your community. You have been slow to notice I that I am wearing a beard since we last worshiped together. It will be a blessing to you to know how I happen to have it. I was riding down East River Mountain last winter and got caught in a hailstorm, which cut up my face tolerably bad. My sweet Lord said, ‘Sheffey, if you would grow a beard the wind and hailstones would not hurt your face.’ How many times does our sweet Lord tell us what to do to ease our pain and we don’t listen? Well, today I am going to tell you about a man who was told by God’ but would not listen . . .”

When his sermon was over and the invitation given, no converts came forward. He showed no disappointment and began his final prayer.

“Oh loving God, we thank Thee for bringing us all together and may it be so again, Soon. Now bless Sister and Brother Summers. They are having trouble and they do not love each other enough. Brother Alls still loves his liquor, Lord, and I want you to turn it sour in his mouth like pig slop and make him spend his money on his dear little girls. Make Brother Sid and Amos stop fighting over what their dear father left them. How sad he would be to know that his land, which he had sweated over for so long, now causes brother to hate brother. Make our young brothers and sisters to be pure of heart and character. And finally, Lord, watch over Brother Barnard, sitting there, who has never asked me to his house since I’ve walked over the sweet soil of Smyth County. Put it in his heart to let me eat at his table sometime soon and partake of the good honey Thou does so bountifully give us … In Jesus name we pray!”

“Well, Brother Bob, I know I can’t talk you into moving back to Smyth County, but I realize that you want to go and see your brother and your sons. Perhaps they can do what I can’t do,” his host pastor said as Robert prepared to leave at the closing of the last service.

“I’ll come back every time you’ll let me, but Eliza thinks the heart of Giles County is the next thing to the Garden of Eden,” Robert said.

“Good-bye, old friend, and may God’s light shine upon you as it has for all of our days together. The children await you now, and you’d better hurry if you want their sendoff. They will be going home soon.”

As he climbed upon Gideon’s back all the children rushed toward him, some hanging onto his pants leg and some the stirrups on both sides, still others onto Gideon’s tail. They ran along in front of the animal until finally he had to stop and tell them to move back.

“Pray for me, children, our dear Jesus loves the sound of little prayers.”

The following day he sat in the Marion law office of his brother James. He was shocked at how much his brother had aged and told him so.

"You’re no spring chicken yourself,” James shot back. “Why don’t you get a nice little church or two to serve somewhere and stop this ridge running?”

“Why don’t you lock your desk and make the front-porch rocker your home?”

“I guess I’ll stick around awhile unless my son and law partner decides to retire me for inefficiency. I must admit he knows more about law than I did when I was twice his age.”

“I’m no more ready to retire to green pastures than you – and besides, I’m younger.”

“You don’t look it. You’re burning your candle at both ends. You’re doing what a younger man should be doing. You’ve served your time as a mountain evangelist. Besides, you misunderstood me. I didn’t say quit. Just stay in one place and make it a little easier on yourself. If you did you might find your congregation upgraded a little – and the collection plate likewise. You can’t tell me that the work shouldn’t pay a decent living.”

“The sweet Lord will take care of us. Have no fear about that. If it be His will I’ll be riding the mountain trails as long as I can crawl upon the back of a horse.”

“Do you honestly believe that even half of the people you serve have the brains to know what you’re doing and why? I know it isn’t true of most of them, but some must be so illiterate as to make communication near impossible –“

”You ought to get out of your law office more often, James. People in the remotest mountains might not have changed much, but as long the byways they’re not like we knew them a few years ago. The coming and Passing of the war has made a difference. Anyway, it is through the heart that every man is really reached.”

“My point is, a man has to understand before you can touch him even there.”

“Understand? It would take me a week to tell you how quickly they ‘understand: dear brother. I have never met a man who didn’t ‘understand’ already, no matter how ignorant. Even in the most hostile of feuding clans there is the instinctive knowledge that sin is being committed – that a human being’s real duty to love God and his neighbor is being violated.”

“I have not meant to degrade your work or some of your people, but some of the poor wretched devils would surely drive off an undertaker –“

”You’re still behind the times, James. It was a whole lot like that twenty years ago, but now I ride among clean little villages and well-kept farms as much as I ride among the smelly trappers’ cabins and the gully hovels or tenant shacks.”

“Well, it’s your life. Live it as you please. If it were me I’d find a little more comfortable ground,” James said.

“What could be more comfortable than loving my Sweet Lord’s people, both rich and poor? But you know what? If I had to make a choice I’d take the poor. There’s something I beautiful about a man who hasn’t one single defense left to prevent his seeing the real meaning of the cross. I have never felt that you or any of my brothers have understood or have been in real sympathy with what I try to do in the Lord’s name.”

“Now, Robert, that isn’t true – Come on home with me now and we’ll get a bite to eat.”

“I’m obliged, but I want to see the boys and get on to Cripple Creek for a day or so. The old life there has all but passed away. The children are grown now, and I fool myself if I think they need me.”

The uttered statement, ringing with haunting finality, gave them both pause and Robert started to leave.

James extended his hand. “Good-bye, Robert. Take care of yourself.”

“Good-by, James. It’s a little sad, our shaking hands this way. At our ages and as the years pass by we are always conscious that each time we say good-by could well be the last.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 300-303- Praying for a child born out of wedlock…

From Cripple Creek he decided to go through Wytheville and back over Walkers Mountain to Bland. The route was more picturesque than going by way of Pulaski and Dublin, and perhaps a little shorter. The next day Gideon moved briskly along the Raleigh-Grayson turnpike through Kent’s Mill and began crossing Cove Mountain. At the foot of Little Walker Mountain a fast-moving rider turned onto the turnpike from a side, trail. In a moment the frothing horse and his rider were at Robert’s side.

“Have you seen ‘Aunt Sis’?” the young man said.

“Who?”

“Aunt Sis’ Umberger – the midwife. She’s supposed to be working around the mountain here today.”

“Don’t know her and haven’t seen a woman on horseback,” Robert said.

“She rides a mule, and we got to get ‘er. My- sister’s in bad labor – real bad.”

Robert volunteered to ride alternate trails with the young man in the search for the midwife. An hour later she still had not been found, but they learned specifically where she was.

“I’ll go get her,” the young man said. ‘’You listen to what I’m saying and then ride ahead and tell the folks I found her and that we’ll be along shortly.”

Robert did as requested and found the young girl in agonizing labor with no one in attendance except her mother and a neighbor woman, who was some distance from sobriety.

“Has her husband been sent for?” Robert asked. “That might ease her a little, if she knew he was around.”

“She ain’t got no husband,” the mother said. “The baby is a bastard, and if I’m guessin’ right about the daddy the same word fits him.”

“Let’s just make her as comfortable as we can then, until the Umberger woman gets here,” Robert said.

“We ought to call in the whole county seat - specially the young girls,” the mother said. “Maybe if they saw the agony side of it they’d do some two-way thinkin.”

“That may be so, but our dear Jesus didn’t revile the worst of sinners while they were in their agony,” Robert said.

The girl’s cries reached intense proportions and there was little he could do except to continue to bathe her sweating forehead with a damp cloth. The girl’s mother held her daughter’s twitching legs apart and as steady as possible.

“It won’t be long, child. Aunt Sis’ will be here directly.” The mother’s voice softened as her child’s pain deepened.

“Oh Mamma – oh, Mamma – oh, Mamma!” the girl groaned pitifully

The braying of a mule rushing faster than agreed with his constitution announced the coming of “Aunt Sis Umberger." The tall mannish-looking woman strode into the room and took instant command. She greeted Robert by name, which surprised him, and went about her preparations. Her back was ramrod-straight, her face and hands leathery but seemingly gentle.

“Begone with ya!” the midwife said through taut lips set above a twitching chin with an occasional wild black whisker. . A sweep of her arms indicated to the onlookers that she meant “now.”

Robert sat in the back yard with the girl’s brother, who seemed unusually quiet. Finally the young man said, “I never, figured who you was until ‘Aunt Sis’ called your name.”

“I don’t remember any of your family either,” Robert said.

"You wouldn’t. A long time ago our pa said a crazy preacher came by and prayed with him to destroy his still and quit making liquor. Pa said he laughed at the man and ‘whopped him a little’; said the man prayed then for his whole stillhouse to be prized out with a crowbar. About a year after that our family fell on hard times and had to sell off over half our farm. Pa happened along a few days after the sale I and saw the new owners and his boys tilting the stillhouse over with their crowbars. Pa said he never made a drop of liquor after that and he was a changed man. You are the man he talked about, Brother Sheffey. You are that man.”

“God be praised that your father was changed by my prayers or those of any other man,” Robert said.

“It didn’t change Ma any. She’s had it hard for too many years and she wakes up hoping every day will be her last.”

“Would you go bring me the sheepskin on my saddle. Son? The sunbeams are coming through that elm tree at the top of the hill like the very gates of heaven were open. Do not come and get me. I will be down when I am through!”

When he descended the hill all the rest had eaten their dinner and the newborn baby boy lay in his cradle, giving a low, trembling cry.

“Is the girl all right?” He directed his question toward the midwife.

“O’ course she is. The young ones make a lot of noise, but they’re tough as a pine knot.”

He asked if he could have something to eat as soon as he talked with the new mother. As they fixed his plate he went talked with the new mother. As they fixed his plate he went to the young woman's bedside. She was still panting from her labor, and her sensitive face was pale, but she smiled broadly.

“He’s a pretty baby. Have you seen him, Mr. Sheffey? Big feet like mine and all . . . I want you to baptize him too.” Her chatter seemed endless and evasive, but he sat with his comforting hand upon her arm until her voice was quiet. He said nothing then, for he knew by experience what the second phase of the conversation would be.

“Brother Sheffey, I know I have sinned. Will God forgive me – and use my son and not curse him?” she began, in the same manner he had heard countless times across the years.

He heard her out and went to his food. “As soon as I eat we will have a family service around the bed of the new mother,” he said to all.

It was clear when he began that nobody in the household was accustomed to family prayer. He could always tell. They squirmed and shuffled and played with their fingers and picked at a thousand pieces of imaginary lint upon their clothing.

“The young sister has confessed her sin to me already,” he began, “and she prays to a loving God to forgive her and use this child. Human mistakes can be turned around and proved a blessing to God, though we must always bear the scars of our failures. I have prayed about this once already today. I asked my dear Lord to make this little one a blessing in this house. I asked the Lord to make this mother a good mother and for this grandmother also to feel a new burst of life and strength as she comes to love the little one. I’m going to ask for more than that, for the storehouse of our Lord is surely bountiful.”

Be grasped the infant by the foot before he prayed. Timidly, they bowed as he spoke.

“Oh Lord, we have not loved Thee enough. We have not trusted Thee nor called upon Thee enough, for surely Thy gifts are ten thousand times more generous than we have ever asked. Lord, we ask of Thee a mighty thing today – not to our glory but to Thine. Take this little infant boy and make of him Thine advocate who will stand in a hundred pulpits across this land and bring a thousand souls into Thy kingdom. And, Lord, Thy servant Sheffey would like to know what dispositions are made of his petition and, if it be Thy will, tell me before I join Thee in heaven Thy plan for this little one’s life. In Jesus name.”

Swiftly he got up and moved away through the front door and out among the trees. They would not understand why his very soul cried out for him to shout, why in loving and serving his God and His Blessed Son the joy so warmed and overpowered him ….

“Aunt Sis” sat astride her mule when he came back to the house.

“If a mule can walk beside a horse and a midwife can ride along with a preacher I don’t see any reason why we can’t leave together. Do you?” he said.

“I’ve rode off with worse characters,” she said unsmiling, and took the lead.

By the middle of the next afternoon he dismounted at the home of his good friend, Josiah Bruce in Bland County. Hardly had his feet touched ground when Bruce – his senior by a dozen years – met him at the yard gate.

“Brother Bob. Old friend, it’s not our regular preaching day. What are you doing here so soon?”

Robert told him of the trip he was now concluding and said, “The sweet Lord has not seen fit to make a great preacher out of me, but those things He has had me experience in this life can be retold to His glory. I have much to tell you and our little congregation.”

“It is well you came a day early, for storm clouds now gather closer home. I had best warn you of the danger so you can be prepared. But there’s no rush about it. Come inside and rest yourself. My good wife has made some damson pies and now you can eat them sooner than she expected.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 304-309- The storm clouds gather and burst…
In minutes Mrs. Bruce began whipping the rich cream she had skimmed from the milk-filled crock of her springhouse.

“Sister Bruce, you know how I like it now. Spread a thin paste of honey over the pie crust before you put the whipped cream on -.”

“I know how you like it, Brother Sheffey. I’ve fixed it for you before, you’ll remember.”

“Some of God’s people preach a better sermon with their kindness than I ever did in the pulpit, Sister Bruce. You are one of those because of your tender care of me across the years.”

“Maybe you’d better wait and taste the pie first,” she said. “Go on back in the parlor now with Josiah and I’ll bring it to you.”

He did not obey her immediately, for he felt a giddy anticipation that compelled him to stay and witness the whole process. Josiah called to him, and reluctantly he left the room. In seconds he stepped back through the door.

“Sister? Be sure and use a clean knife to cut the pie.”

That evening before bedtime Josiah Bruce outlined to him what “storm clouds” he had referred to.

“Some of the toughs in the neighborhood are out to get you, and they’re not holding their tongues about it. My guess is we can expect the service to be interrupted tomorrow. From what I’ve heard they’re not as mad about you praying against their liquor making and drinking as they are about you calling them lost souls and praying for them by name.”

“We’ll go about the Lord’s business on schedule, Josiah. If they come tomorrow it may mark the very day when we can rescue another soul for the kingdom.”

The next day he preached and prayed with the small group of worshipers without interruption. There seemed visible relief among the people as they departed the Bruce home. “Josiah shouldn’t pay any attention to those roughnecks. They’ve got more mouth than muscle,” Robert heard somebody say. In a way he was also relieved, but it was not a comfortable relief. How could he effectively fight God’s foe if there was no confrontation?

When Josiah brought his horse around to the front this impending confrontation still rested on his mind.

“Josiah, before our next meeting date get word to those who have fought against me and tell them I will meet them wherever they want. I believe I can stand at the whipping post and show them that they cast more darkness than light. There are many roads to Christ, dear Josiah, and we will keep the byways open.”

He positioned his sheepskin upon the saddle and tied his saddlebags securely before mounting Gideon. The animal seemed fidgety, but in a moment Robert was on and seated comfortably. “Be good to Sister Bruce, Josiah. The sweet Lord has given you a pearl of precious worth in that woman, and bless your whole family.”

“Come anytime, Brother Bob. When you are here our house is especially blessed.”

Gideon started down the dusty road in a spirited trot. Robert began to sing, for the spirit of the service he had just I finished was still very much with him. At about the same time he heard the voice of Josiah Bruce call out to him a shrill warning, bushes –parted on each side of the road, and a tan muscular arm wrapped around his waist before he was aware that anyone was behind him. The grip tightened, dragging him from the saddle and flinging him I onto the road. The fall stunned him, but he did not lose consciousness.

“Stomp the life out of the old devil!” someone called from the shoulder of the road.

The command was obeyed, for next he felt a heavy foot upon his leg and then upon his stomach. On instinct, he tried to stand. And a fist from another direction crashed into his jaw. A handful of dirt and gravel peppered his mouth and chin but was soon washed away by his bleeding nose.

“Let him go!” He heard Josiah Bruce’s voice shouting. Robert raised to his elbow and saw his old friend fire a warning shot into the air. For a moment the attackers paused, but from the bushes other men converged to overpower his gun wielding rescuer. He tried to sound the alarm, but all the air seemed to be stomped out of his aching lungs.

With the lightning move of hounds on a rabbit Josiah was thrown onto the dirt and his gun taken from him.

“We ain’t got no fight with you, Josiah,” a man Robert recognized said, “lessen it’s because you open your doors to that little weasel there.”

“Leave him alone!” Josiah called. “He preaches the Word of God, and you know it and I know it. If it causes gravel in your shoes, maybe it ought to.”

“He can shout and preach and pray all he wants, but he’d better stop callin’ me and the others by our names. And while we’re at it, he’d better not be seen down on the creek anymore, nosin’ around our stills. We got troubles enough without him prayin’ for floods and lightnin’ strikes. He’s got half the county scared to death, tellin’ around that what he prays for comes to pass.”

Robert got his breath back momentarily and sat up. “Woody” – he addressed the hostile spokesman – “I bear you no personal harm, but it is not God’s will that you -.”

“Shut your mouth!” Woody shoved him backward with his foot. Josiah started to lunge at Robert’s tormentor but was restrained. “And you too, or I’ll crack your own gun barrel over your head!”

“I won’t stop praying for your soul, Woody, nor those of your friends,” Robert said.

Woody made no effort to strike him this time, but a terrible fury shone from black eyes set in a massive head. “My ‘soul’ ain’t botherin’ me none, and I don’t figure it’s any worry of yours. And don’t think there’s not all kinds of ways !I to stop you. I’m not the only man whose got it on his mind either. Why, you can’t hardly hire a decent still hand no more. They’re all scared to death you’ll pray ‘em into hell or cause a tree to fall and bust their skulls open.”

“If I was a younger man I’d do some skull busting of my own,” Josiah Bruce said. “’Now leave us alone and go about your evil business if that’s the only thing you've got brains enough to think about.”

“This ain’t the end of it,” Woody said and motioned his followers away.

Robert could not stand without his friend’s help.

“Just put your arm around my neck, Brother Bob. We’ll get you patched up. You’d best stay the night. We’re not going to send you home to Eliza and Eddie until you’re in good riding shape.”

The soreness in his body had not left him when a week passed. He was, therefore, at home when a messenger of the Bland county court advised him that his assailants had been arrested and would be tried. Furthermore, his testimony would be needed to insure the conviction of the guilty men.

“It’s not in my heart to testify against them,” Robert said.

“You must, or the court will have you summonsed.”

“Is there no other way?”

"I can’t answer that. You will have to speak to the judge beforehand if you don’t want to go.”

On the trial date he went to Bland, and when he got there the court was already in session, dealing with another case. He sat on the hard seat for only a minute before he crept forward to the bench and grasped the arm of the presiding judge.

The judge turned his eyes from the papers before him and put his left hand over an ear, shutting out the raving of the attorney for the Commonwealth. He leaned forward as Robert stood on tiptoe, the better to show himself to the judge.

“Reverend Sheffey, you are interrupting a court in session,” the judge whispered. “Your case is not yet to be heard.”

“Let them go,” Robert said.

“I beg your pardon?”

“Let them go.”

The judge quickly ascertained that Robert meant the men who had attacked him, not the criminals presently at the bar.

”Do you mean you will not press charges? You will not testify?”

“The only testimony my heart would leave me free to give is that my sweet Lord loves them. Let them go, Your Mercy, and I will praise your name.”

The judge studied Robert’s eyes and gave his head a slight, reluctant twist. “Are you sure you don’t want to testify against these men? Their actions and general reputation indicate that sentences are in order.”

“They meant no harm – it was the devil acting In a I moment of their weakness -.”

“The court cannot look at things in quite the same way, Reverend -.”

“Now that my sweet Lord has let me think upon the matter I might have to testify that I provoked them ---.”

“Very well then. It seems that the case for the Commonwealth is weakening. I just hope you have an end figured out or this episode.”

“Men do not write an end to things, Your Mercy. Would you not agree to that’? Have you not sent a man to prison who came back a saint, or met a saint who fell from grace into the dungeon?”

When he returned home Eliza appeared to be watching him suspiciously for the first few hours. Her alert eyes seemed always to pierce him like steel, which never failed to delight him, but when he kept something from her they would light up like fireflies.

“Robert – look at me. You let the men go free, didn’t you?”

“Now, Eliza, we don’t question the other days when God is so merciful – why should we make mention of it today?”

“Oh, Robert! May heaven protect you. You are certainly incapable of it yourself.”

“Don’t fuss with me now. I’ve got to put my thoughts in order and make some arrangements about winter wood.”

“John Frank has already brought a load and a neighbor you’d never guess is bringing another.”

“What would I do without you, dear Eliza – and without them too?’ But do they all look after you and little Eddie out of pity or because they believe the Lord sends me?”

“It is not well that you know all the answers to that question just now, my husband. Just trust and go about your work. There seems plenty to occupy you for awhile.”

He glanced toward the desk, which Eliza always kept in immaculate order, and noticed the usual three stacks of letters. Commanding his attention first, however, was a letter placed alone on the desk.

“Why is this one by itself?” He asked without bothering to read first.

“It’s from an old friend of yours on Cripple Creek – John Simmerman, I believe his name is. He wants to know if you will sell him your Cripple Creek farm.”

Robert sat and read the letter, fingering his beard in deep I thought.

‘’Well? Are you interested?” Eliza said after awhile.

“I don’t rightly know on such short notice. There’s some good judgment, and some bad too, that runs through my head. I There’s no hurry, and I’ll want to talk to the Lord about it …. “

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Saint of the Wilderness Chapter 15
Page 311- Adventures with young Eddie
Robert held up under the persistence of John Simmerman’s annual offer to buy his farm until the year of 1873; the same year, ironically, when he learned that his brother James was slowly dying. By this time Eliza felt that the final offer was a gift from heaven and said so.

“We are getting no younger, Robert, and I don’t believe we would be selfish to want a modest home of our own in which to grow old.”

He agreed that the farm sale would provide that. Also there was something more it would do. Two of his older children needed financial help and he had long wanted to give each and every one of them something from the land they had known as children.

“We’ll sell it then, Eliza. All things seem to be working together for good. Write Brother Simmerman and tell him we will accept his offer and meet him at his convenience.”

The new home they decided to purchase was a small two story white frame house with an acre of ground perched on the side of a grassy hill and overlooking Walker’s Creek to the east. The location was in the village of Staffordsville – the so-called Irish Settlement had spread both eastward and westward with the advance of time – and located only four or five miles away from Eliza’s girlhood borne. The term “Irish Settlement” was one now used primarily by the old-timers, as adjacent villages continued to grow and be recognized in their own right.

Robert still liked the connotation the term “Irish Settlement” held for him, but Eddie would frequently correct him. ‘·Grandma says you’re supposed to call where she lives by the name of Trigg, Papa,” the boy would say.

‘’Well, as long as we all know we’re talking about the same place, I don’t guess it matters,” Robert said.

But it was an ever-changing place at that, one could hardly help observing. Their new-home village seemed to be attracting more than its share of the population growth to the area, and not without reason. Staffordsville boasted a picturesque setting along a wide and beautiful stream with mountain gaps on three sides. For such a small place, Staffordsville enjoyed a bustling commerce. Very near the halfway point of the village a milldam spanned the creek and the giant undershot waterwheel was fed by a long millrace of double-thick limestone rocks, piled ton upon ton. Eddie was quick to tell his father that he liked the smaller and older waterwheel of his former home much better.

“I want the water to spill over the top, Papa,” the boy explained before Robert realized that his son knew the difference between an overshot and an undershot waterwheel.

“But as long as the big wheel turns -,” Robert argued.

“But it turns backward, and I want the water to spill over the top,” the child wailed almost their entire first week of residence.

Soon Eliza diverted the boy’s attention elsewhere. Their new community of residence had in addition to the waterwheel a mill complex that formed a part of it, a modern blacksmith a mill complex that formed a part of it, a modern blacksmith tannery, and a boat landing.

Robert watched the boy grow between his absences from home and saw, gradually, the pride Eliza had instilled in the child about his new community.

“Not every boy can live in a village named for his own ancestors,” Eliza said proudly.

“Whatever he amounts to in this life will be because of you, Eliza. Does he think ill of me that I am gone from him so much?”

“He’s getting along fine, and his teachers brag on him just like he was a scholar. Why, Mrs. Jones said he was quicker to catch on than any child she’d ever taught.”

He could not help smiling, for this was the kind of pride even his God would approve.

“Could we possibly be more richly blessed than this day finds us, Eliza?“

When Eddie reached his tenth birthday they allowed him to walk alone the four-mile distance to his grandmother’s house. Robert trusted Eliza’s judgment in these matters, but he could tell that there were times she agonized over the roundabout routes the boy would take, making him hours late in coming home.

“I was at the mill, Mamma,” he would explain when Eliza: insisted on a reason for his tardiness. “I like to stand on the mill floor and feel the boards tremble when corn is being ground and the waterwheel groans. And the fresh cornmeal smells so good, I stick my hand under the hopper- sometimes and eat a handful.”

Eddie seemed always to be dirty, Robert noticed. He was always covered in cornmeal, axle grease, mud, or ashes from the bellows of the blacksmith shop.

Robert commented about it to Eddie’s new teacher, Kemp Miller, who said, “You don’t know much about little boys, or you’ve forgotten what you did know.”

Robert conceded that that might be so.

“Why, a boy is like a hound dog, Brother Sheffey. He’s got to sniff around a whole lot before he knows what he’s ring for.”

One day when the child was dirty and disobedient at the same time, Robert attempted to switch him and then bathe him. The whip broke and he could hardly see what he was hitting at, for the flood of tears in his own eyes. Thereafter he pu.t the vigor of a switching into a soap-filled washcloth and scrubbed the child nearly raw. He thought he had done an excellent job of it, but the act brought forth slightly more than the mild wrath of Eliza.

“Robert! You’ll have the child bleeding at that rate. Sometimes I think you are obsessed with cleanliness!”

He gave up trying to keep his son spotless after that. Then, shortly before Eddie’s twelfth birthday, in 1877, he was offered a part-time job that found him coming home as dirty as a European chimney sweep. Staffordsville saw the start of a newspaper entitled The True Flag, and editor-owner Charlie Meadows used Eddie for two hours in the afternoons to clean around the type cases and help agitate the ink on printing days, and, at other times, for general sweeping and cleaning of the presses.

“Look Papa, my first wages!” Eddie cried out at the end of the week, and proudly displayed the half-dollar that paid him for ten hours of labor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 314- The Prayer for Rattlesnakes
In 1878 Robert returned from a revival meeting in Washington County to find that Walkers Creek bad been on the rampage, as a result of a freshet, and much of Staffordsville had been washed away. The dam and most of the mill were gone. Many buildings he had grown accustomed to had simply disappeared – washed completely from the face of the earth. Barns and houses along the creek both above and below Staffordsville were also gone.

Eddie wept bitter tears, for the newspaper office, as well, was lost, and all that had been salvaged was a little paper and most of the type. It had all happened so quickly that there had been no time to save the press.

“Mr. Meadows will build it back, Eddie,” Eliza said consolingly. “I don’t have a washhouse either, so I lost something too.”

It was true; Robert hadn’t even missed it until Eliza called it to his attention. One or two old cabins by the creek had been used by the village women as washhouses and now only the foundation stone remained to give evidence that they had existed.

Buildings were not all that had been lost. A kindly old Indian man and village resident had been swept away along with his barns, and Eddie had lost a friend of long standing.

“Papa, there’ll never be another man like Old Wallace I used to go up in his barn loft where he liked to sit and smoke his pipe and he’d tell me stories about Indian lore.”

“Yea, I know. Son, every life is made from a different mold, and if we see that life in the right light it tells us something of the blessedness of human fellowship and the genius of a loving God. Just be thankful for the time you had with Old Wallace.”

Within a few weeks The True Flag was back in business and Robert rode away from Staffordsville leaving a content son. He also was contented, and even Gideon moved along with extra spring in his step.

They were soon nearing the county seat of Pearisburg. “Gideon, we are in no hurry today. The service in Bluefield is still two days away and our dear friends in West Virginia will not expect us very much ahead of time. Let’s just take our time and enjoy our journey,”

He took a deep breath of September air and held it until his chest ached. Slowly the oxygen escaped between his teeth, and he laughed a joyous laugh.

"Oh, Gideon! God is so good to give us such a beautiful day. Have you ever seen a lovelier day? Good morning, Sister Morris!” he called to a passing buggy. “Gideon, there is a nice flat rock up ahead that I’ve never drawn a picture on, and it’s so close to the road that it’s odd I never paid any attention to it until now.”

Out of the saddlebags came the chalk. The horse nibbled at the clover by the roadside. “Gideon, I’ve decided not to draw a picture. I am going to pose the most important question a man can ever ask of himself.”

He sketched away in bold letters until the writing was done. The letters pleased him, and as he backed up the road the words were still clearly distinguishable. WHAT SHALL I DO TO BE SAVED? They said.

“That ought to do it now. Come along, Gideon. I want to get to Pearisburg before the sun gets very high. By the time I climb a ways up Angel’s Rest Mountain the sun, if we look to the east, will stare us straight in the face. It’s a wonderful place for morning prayers, Gideon, and you know how much you like the good spring water. Come along now.”

They got no farther than Narrows when midday came. There had been so many people to stop and talk to; the turnpike roads were unusually full of travelers who seemed as willing to talk of God, politics, or the weather as he was.

“Our sweet Lord never meant for us to rush through life, Gideon. People who do it remind me of a dog with its tail near its mouth, trying to catch itself. Be still and know that I am God – that’s what our sweet Lord tells us.”

The route he decided to take to Bluefield was by way of Wolf Creek to South Gap and across East River Mountain.

“We could go by way of Glen Lyn and Princeton, Gideon, but if we go up Wolf Creek, Sister Wheeler will have some fresh apple pies for our dinner.”

He ate, had family prayers for his hostess and her husband, and was shortly on Gideon’s back, riding westward along Wolf Creek. He liked to sing going this way, the route held so many memories for him. There was another reason: his voice sounded different here, due to the acoustical peculiarities of the region. He’d discovered that years ago when he was singing “Twilight Is Stealing Over the Lea,” and it was that very song that he sang now.

Above the sound of the song’s chorus, galloping hooves approached from behind him. He guided Gideon to the road shoulder so as to allow the speeding rider all the room he needed. Rather than passing, however, the young boy reined to a halt by Robert’s side. Momentarily a dust cloud engulfed them, but the boy’s staccato words kept pouring forth.

“My brother, George, got bit by a rattlesnake this mornin’. We’re afraid he’s goin’ to die. Pa just now seen you passin’ and said for me to overtake you and get you to pray for George.”

“Do I know you and your family? Your face is not familiar,” Robert said.

“No, you don’t know us, but Pa and Ma both knows of you. Pa said if you’d pray for George the Lord would let him live.”

Robert followed the boy home, where George lay on the grass in the back yard. A solemn-faced woman who refused to meet the inquiring gaze of her visitor attended the wounded man, and presently the father came from the kitchen.

“Reverend Sheffey, call upon the Lord so my boy will live,” the father said.

“Have you ever called upon the Lord’s name, my brother?”

“No, but if you’ll do it the Lord will surely hear our prayers. It is said that many things you pray for come to pass even after many years.”

“And you have a wife and children, I see. How many? Do they ever call upon the name of the Lord?”

“No, guess not.” The father hung his head. “There’s – there’s three boys and us.”

“Son, would you fetch my sheepskin from my saddle?” Robert said to the boy who had overtaken him.

He started to kneel, and all of them had bowed and closed their eyes before he got both knees on the prayer mat. The wounded man put his· hands over his face.

“Oh Lord,” Robert prayed, “please bring Thy healing to this young man, and Lord in the same breath we thank Thee for snakes and pray that there be many of them. It is because of a snake that this family calls upon Thy holy name today. One of the sons has been bitten, and they call upon Thee. Now, Lord, get the picture: except for the snake they would perhaps never in their lifetimes have turned to Thee. What a blessing this lowly, crawling thing has been! Lord, I want you to send lots of snakes. Send another one to bite the youngest boy here, and send still another to bite this woman who never had her boys kneel by her chair, that they might hear the prayers of their mother. And, Lord, above all things, send a great big rattler, a really large one, to bite the old man so that he may call upon Thy name fervently and much. In Jesus name I pray…. Amen.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Here is another story I read on Robert Sheffey written in 1913...

Full text of "Pioneer settlers of Grayson County, Virginia"

Rev. Robert Sawyers Sheffey was a son of Daniel Sheffey by his first wife. Miss White, of Abingdon, Va.
He was a local Methodist preacher of the Holston Conference, a man who had some eccentricities of character,
but whose unbounded faith in God, and good works among his fellow-men made him widely known throughout
Southwest Virginia. He was a man who had power with God in prayer, and the writer knows of many striking and
direct answers to his prayers.

In Robert Sheffey's time there was much illicit distilling of whiskey in the mountains of Southwest Virginia
and he was the enemy of the traffic. At one time he prayed for a certain distillery to be removed, and a water
spout burst just above it, and left not a trace of the plant.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Page 320- Travels

Bluefield was a growing little town that had changed greatly since the first time he had seen it, nestled in a bowl like enclosure of nature on the north side of East River Mountain. The church to which he had been invited was one of the nicest Methodist churches in that part of the state, and he looked forward to the engagement.

He was asked to preach at both the morning and afternoon services, and a large crowd greeted him for the first one. He felt a warmth from the congregation, and though there were no converts, he was certain that the night service would find resistance crumbling like air-dried bread and that penitents by the score would come forward.

From Bluefield he and Gideon retraced their journey back as far as South Gap, then traveling southward toward Bland courthouse and Allen Newberry’s home.

“Gideon, I don’t know what I would have done if the sweet Lord hadn’t put it in Brother Newberry’s head to give me all those good suits, and now he tells me I am too slow getting another one he has ready for me. Of course I’m not saying everything is altogether to my liking at that home, Gideon. There’s a new Sister Newberry now, and it took me the longest of time to get the old one to fix my biscuits the right way. Now I suppose it’ll be like starting all over again. Bless their sweet souls, though – I’ve missed them all so much.”

Robert preached at Newberry’s chapel and at Byrne’s chapel, in Mechanicsburg, before he left Bland County and returned to Eddie and Eliza at Staffordsville.

October activities were confined to the circuit, but in November an invitation had come asking his participation in a revival at the Rehoboth church, in Monroe County West Virginia, near the village of Union.

“I want to go, Eliza,” he said. “Is there anything I need to take care of before I leave? Are we still solvent?”

“By the grace of my brothers, yes. Is it my imagination or is the time between your collections getting farther and farther apart? Perhaps if you had more frequent services and visited the remote sections less . . .?”

“Now, Mrs. Sheffey, you don’t mean that; don’t you know without asking that my sweet Lord sends me where He wants me to go?”

“No, I guess I don’t, even now. But I do want you to acknowledge the help my brothers have given me.”

“I will if I think about it, but it never comes to mind at the right times. Besides, they’re just doing as their sweet Lord asks them to do – just like you and me.”

“They might not see it with quite that degree of spiritual maturity, Robert. I should like you to thank them.”

He promised more seriously that he would, and he thought upon the matter still further as he rode away.

“Gideon, it is a funny thing, but those closest to us do not understand sometimes. Our blessed Christ was a pauper, He wanted us all to spend our time examining our hearts and not our purses. But even that isn’t all that matters, for our sweet Lord knows that when we are poverty-stricken, and not a whiff of the haughty spirit abides in us, then we are most beautiful to Him.”

He had half decided to preach his first sermon along the lines of such thinking when he left the West Virginia line behind him.

“Maybe I will make that sermon number two, Gideon. I will preach first on the stewardship of a good church. There are good churches and bad churches. I’m talking about the people now, Gideon; I want to preach this good sermon to these good people. This church has been a blessing for such a long time – thank God for the souls who have found rest there. It was dedicated by Bishop Asbury in seventeen-eighty-six.”

Robert kept up the chatter even as he allowed Gideon to stop by a roadside spring.

“Do you always talk to yourself like that?” a voice inquired over the swirling water around Gideon’s legs.

Robert lifted his head and saw no man, mounted or walking.

“Over here – against the tree trunk.”

“Why, my brother, I didn’t see you,” Robert called. “Are you tuckered out? Have you walked far?”

“Not far a-tall. I’m not a traveler. I’ve just come over the hill from salting my cattle and decided to rest my bones.”

“And what a glorious bed of rest you have! As far as the eyes can see, the painted leaves and the smell of autumn give testimony to our God’s handiwork. And for a pillow there rolls the fertile hills,”

“Who are you, some roving minstrel?”

Robert moved Gideon closer to the inquirer and said. “No. am Robert Sayers Sheffey, a servant of the Lord.”

“There is something about you that told me I should recognize who I was talking to. Guess most everybody in southern West Virginia knows you.”

Robert said he couldn’t vouch for that, but if such was the case then the Lord was to be praised. “And the Lord be praised for our fellowship today. … . You have not told me your name,” Robert added.

The man gave no answer and Robert asked him if he would be coming to the services at the Rehoboth church.

“I reckon not.”

“Why not? Do you not pay homage to our Master?”

“I don’t have anything against the Master.”

“What is it then?” Robert said.

“Well – from what I’ve heard I’m not altogether sure I’d like your ways exactly -.”

“Neither does the devil!”

The seated man rose to his feet with the faintest grin upon his face and started to walk away.

“Just a minute,” Robert said. “It’s near to mealtime and I think I’ll have supper at your house.”

“My God,” the other said. “Everything I’ve heard must really be true.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0