Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a certain amount of debate over which day should be the Christian Sabbath, and whether it matters. I have to say something, though. I don’t care what my calendar says, Monday sure seems like the first day of the week to me.

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
There is a certain amount of debate over which day should be the Christian Sabbath, and whether it matters. I have to say something, though. I don’t care what my calendar says, Monday sure seems like the first day of the week to me.

I will speak in purely practical terms - the Sabbath should be a day of the week on which the believer in Jesus Christ meets regularly with his or her community of believers (Christian church or Messianic Jewish synagogue).

For Christian believers, the Sabbath should be Saturday or Sunday.

For Messianic Jewish believers, the Sabbath will be Saturday
fb352e0ea6474126bcc8bb2b47f8bc43.png

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I will speak in purely practical terms - the Sabbath should be a day of the week on which the believer in Jesus Christ meets regularly with his or her community of believers (Christian church or Messianic Jewish synagogue).

For Christian believers, the Sabbath should be Saturday or Sunday.

For Messianic Jewish believers, the Sabbath will be Saturday
View attachment 203053
Your post causes me to wonder what the Lord's purpose is for creating a sabbath. I tend to think his purpose was to give us a day's rest each week. I might argue, then, that the sabbath can any day of the week, or any two half days (or whatever), that we can find to fulfill our needed rest.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The Sabbath is a day of rest, not a day for church activities. Rest on Saturday, church on Sunday.
I think I agree with you about the purpose of the sabbath, but we aren't going to lie in bed all day, and I don't think going to church robs us of our rest.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your post causes me to wonder what the Lord's purpose is for creating a sabbath. I tend to think his purpose was to give us a day's rest each week. I might argue, then, that the sabbath can any day of the week, or any two half days (or whatever), that we can find to fulfill our needed rest.

The purpose of a single designated day of rest was so that all activity ceased for the day, and everyone rested. Much easier rest without all the noise and activity of others working.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Watchman
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post causes me to wonder what the Lord's purpose is for creating a sabbath.
The answer is right in Genesis:
Genesis 2:3 NKJV "Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made."

When we keep the Sabbath day holy we remember our Creator. In other words, it is a memorial of God's creation. When we observe it, we are telling the world who our God is.

As for Sunday, people are free to worship on that day in honor of the Resurrection. I have no issue with that. But don't forget to keep the Sabbath day holy (Exodus 20:8).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I agree with you about the purpose of the sabbath, but we aren't going to lie in bed all day, and I don't think going to church robs us of our rest.

People today need more mental rest than physical. The labor intensive lifestyle of ancient Israel required a day of physical rest i.e. "the sleep of the laborer is sweet". Sleep deprivation is a major problem today, especially on the highways. I have seen many 'nod off' during sermons and have myself. Complete rest is a process that takes a full day of uninterrupted repose, thus the commandment. And while we are not strictly commanded today the Sabbath is still one of the most valuable gifts of knowledge that God has bestowed on man for his wellbeing.

With a full days rest behind people are better able to receive God's word with clarity, and have more energy for fellowship and other activities. I was in a Sabbath-keeping church and can attest that many were fatigued by the work week's end, and exhausted by the end of Sabbath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The purpose of a single designated day of rest was so that all activity ceased for the day, and everyone rested. Much easier rest without all the noise and activity of others working.
You don't want to close down the hospitals, military, and police stations, though.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

Worshiping at your church or your Messianic Jewish synagogue does not rob us of our needed rest.

Since the purpose of the Sabbath is to worship together with our church members or Messianic Jewish synagogue members, we can worship together on the Jewish Sabbath or on Sunday morning....after that, we can rest at home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The answer is right in Genesis:
Genesis 2:3 NKJV "Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made."

When we keep the Sabbath day holy we remember our Creator. In other words, it is a memorial of God's creation. When we observe it, we are telling the world who our God is.

As for Sunday, people are free to worship on that day in honor of the Resurrection. I have no issue with that. But don't forget to keep the Sabbath day holy (Exodus 20:8).
Don’t forget this, though:

[27] And he said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath;
[28] so the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath." Mark 2:27-28 RSV

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You don't want to close down the hospitals, military, and police stations, though.

Sabbath keeping is a personal decision, not to be imposed on anyone.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Worshiping at your church or your Messianic Jewish synagogue does not rob us of our needed rest.

Since the purpose of the Sabbath is to worship together with our church members or Messianic Jewish synagogue members, we can worship together on the Jewish Sabbath or on Sunday morning....after that, we can rest at home.
I think we come to the same conclusion, but from opposite directions. I think the purpose of the sabbath is to get a day's rest, but I also believe in going to church, and that it is appropriate to go to church on the sabbath.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don’t forget this, though:

[27] And he said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath;
[28] so the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath." Mark 2:27-28 RSV
That's right. And that's all the more reason why we should keep it holy. It's God's gift to us. It was never meant to be a burden, but a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sabbath keeping is a personal decision, not to be imposed on anyone.
But it is good to discuss the Lord's commandments, and keeping the sabbath is one of them.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You do realize you have grown up in a world and a society that is devoid of righteousness, and full of wickedness, right ? (according to the Bible that Methodists have recognized as God's Word for many many years and generations ) .
Thus, what you seem sure of , gathered from the world / society
while growing up in such a world/ society,
is not related to what God says.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This was never even a problem, nor a question, for those devoted to YHWH throughout history,
unless they were first, or later, trained in the world by the world in the world's ways, and started to honor the world in its ways
instead of God and His Way.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The pastor noticed a fellow nodding off during his sermon and stopped briefly to ask the person next to him to wake him up. The fellow responded with a grin, "You wake him up, you put him to sleep." ^_^

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think we come to the same conclusion, but from opposite directions. I think the purpose of the sabbath is to get a day's rest, but I also believe in going to church, and that it is appropriate to go to church on the sabbath.

The purpose of the Sabbath is two-fold:
(1) Worship together with your church members or Messianic Jewish synagogue members
(2) Get plenty of rest after you worship together with your church members or Messianic Jewish synagogue members
f15f7b2f2bb23522ac53b34905a9642b.jpg

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0