The role I unwittingly played in the decline of Christianity in America.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have also heard that there are many lights, but they are all on the same circuit.
Jesus told the permanent disciples : (Ekklesia, born again ones set apart by the Father Sovereign Creator by Himself , for Himself)
YOU are the light of the world .........
Matthew 5:14-16 NKJV - "You are the light of the world. A ...
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5:14-16 - New King James Version
Matthew 5:14-16 New King James Version (NKJV). 14 "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Upvote 0

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In practice, the word can be used several different ways. On the one hand, a person is considered to be a Christian if he identifies with that religion in preference to any other one.

But within the family of Christians, the term is often reserved for what we might call "practicing" Christians, excluding merely "nominal" Christians. But see...even the nominal Christian, as described in the first paragraph above, is called a Christian. Otherwise, he'd be only a nominal or merely formal...what, exactly?

Sadly the normal Christians seems to be the majority and give the minority a bad name. For that reason I would raise the bar as what constitutes being a Christian.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Felt that the ethics forum was best suited for a discussion on standards)

What does it take to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian? Does simply saying you are a Christian clear the bar that constitutes what a Christian is? Let’s come back to that in a minute. I use to self identify as a Christian. I went to Church each week, went to Bible study weekly and fellowshipped weekly. So was I a Christian? No, I was not.

Monday through Saturday I lived an unmitigated life of sin, yet come Sunday I would go to Church and go through the motions. I did not believe in the Christian god at all and I made no effort to live my life by the example set by Christ. I went to Church because that is what I was taught from an early age as the right thing to do. At the time 90% of Americans self identified as Christian and there was immense social pressure to conform, which is a large reason why I went to Church. I had also been taught that the way to resolve my problems required a belief in god and to be moral one must serve god. I now know that not to be the case.

So how was I a part of the problem in terms of adding to the decline of Christianity in America you may ask? The answer is simple... I was a Christian in name only and was a hypocrite. I did not understand that at the time as I had deluded myself into thinking that I was actually a Christian. It takes more than simply going through the motions to be a Christian by my measure. How many nonbelievers looked at my pathetic hypocritical demonstration of a quasi Christianity and thought to themselves “if Robert is an example of what a Christian is then no thanks!”.

So what does it take to to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian?

First let’s examine an endeavor that I have gone all in on. In the late 80’s I pulled the loaded shotgun out of my mouth and decided it was better to try to sober up in a 12 Step meeting that to blow my head off. For the better part of the next decade I made studying, practicing and teaching others those 12 Steps the top priority in my life. I worked 8 hours a day, had a family to attend to and each night I went to a 12 Step meeting looking to help others escape their addiction as I did. The night would often end by 11 P.M. and sometimes later. During those 10 years I went through no less than three of the books that contained the 12 Steps as I referenced it so often that after a few years they would simply fall apart. During those 10 years I approached countless alcoholics/addicts and invited them out for coffee and a talk. To say that I was committed to the process would be an understatement. I was dealing with life and death, knew it and took it very seriously. I use this example to mark a distinct difference in my approach to overcoming my addiction vs my going through the motions in Church.

How long have you been a Christian? How many Bibles have you worn out? How much time do you spend each week studying scripture and contemplating how best to mold your life to better exemplify the teachings of Christ in your daily actions? How much time do you spend engaged in altruistic endeavors? Rhetorical questions meant to be food for thought.

If we want to change then we get out of it what we put into it. If we put little into it we get little to nothing in return. If we put a lot into it the we get a lot in return. If living your life by the example of Christ is a top priority in your life then it will show in your actions, including the time you spend in study and the time you spend placing into action that which was learned through the study, prayer and contemplation.

So what does it take to be a Christian in my subjective opinion. The answer is a lot! It certainly takes more than self identifying as a Christian or simply going through the motions. It takes hard work, commitment and an unyielding drive to continually move one’s thoughts and actions to becoming more in line with the example set by Christ.

Thoughts? Additions? Criticism?
The 12 Steps are really a practical way to be a Christian. You have to admit you cannot do it with your own ability and you are powerless. You have to accept the help of a power greater than yourself and for many this is God. You have to acknowledge your wrongs and make amends and for many this is acknowledging we are sinners and you have to help others which is what we should be doing as Christians.

In some ways people who face this situation are lucky as they are put in a situation where they have to be sincere and practical about getting help and becoming a better person. It is about walking the walk and IMO this is what makes a Christian. The 12th step is what it all comes down to for being a Christian. If we are helping others we are not consumed with self just as Christ gave his life for others. This keeps a person in check and also helps others which brings rewards beyond what this world offers and that is really what everyone is really seeking in trying to find meaning in life.

Upvote 0