The role I unwittingly played in the decline of Christianity in America.

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
(Felt that the ethics forum was best suited for a discussion on standards)

What does it take to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian? Does simply saying you are a Christian clear the bar that constitutes what a Christian is? Let’s come back to that in a minute. I use to self identify as a Christian. I went to Church each week, went to Bible study weekly and fellowshipped weekly. So was I a Christian? No, I was not.

Monday through Saturday I lived an unmitigated life of sin, yet come Sunday I would go to Church and go through the motions. I did not believe in the Christian god at all and I made no effort to live my life by the example set by Christ. I went to Church because that is what I was taught from an early age as the right thing to do. At the time 90% of Americans self identified as Christian and there was immense social pressure to conform, which is a large reason why I went to Church. I had also been taught that the way to resolve my problems required a belief in god and to be moral one must serve god. I now know that not to be the case.

So how was I a part of the problem in terms of adding to the decline of Christianity in America you may ask? The answer is simple... I was a Christian in name only and was a hypocrite. I did not understand that at the time as I had deluded myself into thinking that I was actually a Christian. It takes more than simply going through the motions to be a Christian by my measure. How many nonbelievers looked at my pathetic hypocritical demonstration of a quasi Christianity and thought to themselves “if Robert is an example of what a Christian is then no thanks!”.

So what does it take to to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian?

First let’s examine an endeavor that I have gone all in on. In the late 80’s I pulled the loaded shotgun out of my mouth and decided it was better to try to sober up in a 12 Step meeting that to blow my head off. For the better part of the next decade I made studying, practicing and teaching others those 12 Steps the top priority in my life. I worked 8 hours a day, had a family to attend to and each night I went to a 12 Step meeting looking to help others escape their addiction as I did. The night would often end by 11 P.M. and sometimes later. During those 10 years I went through no less than three of the books that contained the 12 Steps as I referenced it so often that after a few years they would simply fall apart. During those 10 years I approached countless alcoholics/addicts and invited them out for coffee and a talk. To say that I was committed to the process would be an understatement. I was dealing with life and death, knew it and took it very seriously. I use this example to mark a distinct difference in my approach to overcoming my addiction vs my going through the motions in Church.

How long have you been a Christian? How many Bibles have you worn out? How much time do you spend each week studying scripture and contemplating how best to mold your life to better exemplify the teachings of Christ in your daily actions? How much time do you spend engaged in altruistic endeavors? Rhetorical questions meant to be food for thought.

If we want to change then we get out of it what we put into it. If we put little into it we get little to nothing in return. If we put a lot into it the we get a lot in return. If living your life by the example of Christ is a top priority in your life then it will show in your actions, including the time you spend in study and the time you spend placing into action that which was learned through the study, prayer and contemplation.

So what does it take to be a Christian in my subjective opinion. The answer is a lot! It certainly takes more than self identifying as a Christian or simply going through the motions. It takes hard work, commitment and an unyielding drive to continually move one’s thoughts and actions to becoming more in line with the example set by Christ.

Thoughts? Additions? Criticism?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: DennisTate

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The heart of Christianity for me is encounter with Him.

That is the life changing experience we should seek above all else.

We have to be truly undone...

Read the conversion of Paul.

It is not about effort.

It is about being in Love with Jesus.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what does it take to to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian?
Follow Jesus Christ of Nazareth with no exception. No secret.
Be blessed

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The heart of Christianity for me is encounter with Him.

That is the life changing experience we should seek above all else.

We have to be truly undone...

Read the conversion of Paul.

It is not about effort.

It is about being in Love with Jesus.

Being in love involves action.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Christianity isn't doing, it is being.
How would you illustrate that with an example or two?

My sense is that being IS doing. I mean we're humans moving through time. We cant just "be", like rocks.

Upvote 0

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It takes having the Holy Spirit.

If any man have not the spirit of Christ he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

Yet there are many who claim to possess the Holy Spirit yet do not act like it. This is why action should speak louder louder than words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yet there are many who claim to possess the Holy Spirit yet do not act like it. This is why action should speak louder louder than words.
I agree. People's actions are telling.

Reactions: Robert65
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And being is expressed by doing.
"Being" comes first.

Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

“But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

“Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

“Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
" Matthew 22:1-13 NKJV

There will be no party-crashers in Heaven. Restated, you cannot "fake it 'til you make it" in Christianity.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Being" comes first.

Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

“But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

“Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

“Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

There will be no party-crashers in Heaven. Restated, you cannot "fake it 'til you make it" in Christianity.
Wow. Interesting and mysterious. I mean how could there even be "party crashers" if the king explicitly invited everyone?

Not being fussy. Genuinely questioning here.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it take to earn the privilege of calling oneself a Christian?

It has nothing to do with how many Bibles you have worn out.

Believe
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."John 3:16, NIV

Repent
19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. Acts 3:18-19

Confess
9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Accept
Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"Being" comes first.

If being comes first and doing comes 2nd then there needs to be much more doing within the religion.

Upvote 0

Robert65

Oct 16, 2018
Washington State
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It has nothing to do with how many Bibles you have worn out.

Believe
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."John 3:16, NIV

Repent
19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. Acts 3:18-19

Confess
9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Accept
Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I would say that wearing out Bibles shows a dedication to studying the word of god.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean how could there even be "party crashers" if the king explicitly invited everyone?

Not being fussy. Genuinely questioning here.
Those who came through proper channels were given appropriate "wedding clothes" (i.e. they were bathed/had their sins washed away). Being unwashed, this guy stood out as an exception. :sick:

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If being comes first and doing comes 2nd then there needs to be much more doing within the religion.
How can you be so certain of that on that side (the outside) of the Kingdom?

No one can even SEE the Kingdom of God unless/until they are Born-Again [John 3:3].

Last edited:
Upvote 0