Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump didn't begin them; that came earlier. But he forced them to make a decision to chose the radical right or more traditional American values.

Call them the Biden Republicans.

Like the Reagan Democrats, they’re heavily white and live in suburbs. But where the Reagan Dems are blue-collar and culturally conservative, Greenberg sees the Biden Republicans as more affluent, highly educated and supportive of diversity. Historically, they identified with the Republican Party as their political home. But the leaders who were supposed to fight for them seem to care more about white grievance and keeping out immigrants; seem to care more about social issues and “owning the libs” than about child-care payments and college tuition. They don’t consider themselves Democrats—at least not yet—but they are voting for them, delivering them majorities in the House and Senate, and making Joe Biden just the fourth candidate in the past century to defeat an incumbent president.
The Rise of the Biden Republicans

Not just the "Never Trumpers." A large number of GOP leaders and thinker defected to Biden this last election, but as the last election and the bipartisan support for Biden's bills among republican voters show, the grass-roots republicans are finding themselves more in tune with the democrats than the GOP.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like just a fancier way of describing NeverTrump types. And there's no reason to think that the people described will be an identifiable, distinct, segment of the electorate after Trump is no longer prominent.

and this:
"but as the last election and the bipartisan support for Biden's bills among republican voters show, the grass-roots republicans are finding themselves more in tune with the democrats than the GOP."

is little more than wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump didn't begin them; that came earlier. But he forced them to make a decision to chose the radical right or more traditional American values.

Call them the Biden Republicans.

Like the Reagan Democrats, they’re heavily white and live in suburbs. But where the Reagan Dems are blue-collar and culturally conservative, Greenberg sees the Biden Republicans as more affluent, highly educated and supportive of diversity. Historically, they identified with the Republican Party as their political home. But the leaders who were supposed to fight for them seem to care more about white grievance and keeping out immigrants; seem to care more about social issues and “owning the libs” than about child-care payments and college tuition. They don’t consider themselves Democrats—at least not yet—but they are voting for them, delivering them majorities in the House and Senate, and making Joe Biden just the fourth candidate in the past century to defeat an incumbent president.
The Rise of the Biden Republicans

Not just the "Never Trumpers." A large number of GOP leaders and thinker defected to Biden this last election, but as the last election and the bipartisan support for Biden's bills among republican voters show, the grass-roots republicans are finding themselves more in tune with the democrats than the GOP.

JS: I understand, the modern republican party had abandon their roots even those the democrats are still too far to the left, they seem to be closer to the middle in Biden. If the republican party can not ring in radicalism then likely in the next presidency we see three parties. Its already setting up.

• Agree
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like the sound of a Biden Republican. It has a nice ring to it. Maybe I'll start referring to myself as one instead of a Never Trumper. I defected this last election and voted for Biden too. I'll vote against the Republican Party again in the 2022 mid-term elections if any of Trump's yes-man sycophants are on the ballot here in Texas. I'll also vote Democratic in the 2024 presidential election if either Trump or one of his yes-man sycophants is the Republican presidential nominee. Trumpism is an anathema to me and I won't support it in any shape or form. The Democrats will have my vote as long as Trumpism has its repulsive tentacles wrapped around the throat of the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JS: I understand, the modern republican party had abandon their roots even those the democrats are still too far to the left, they seem to be closer to the middle in Biden. If the republican party can not ring in radicalism then likely in the next presidency we see three parties. Its already setting up.

And such a result would split the right vote totals in half. Leaving the left unified.

Let say 6 vs.... 3 and 3. So who wins?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And such a result would split the right vote totals in half. Leaving the left unified.
That's probably so, and many commentators agree with you about that.

However, we can also appreciate how a lot of voters feel that, after trusting the GOP year after year since Reagan, to do what it said it would do if given power but then did not do time and again when it had the chance...they're of a mood to think that there's not all that much to be lost by calling an end to the routine.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

However, we can also appreciate that many voters feel that, after trusting the GOP to do, year after year since Reagan, what it said it would do if given power...BUT SELDOM COMES THROUGH on the promises...they're of a mood to think that there's not all that much to be lost by calling an end to the routine.

I have always maintained that. I have always chosen the best person and let them demonstrate their ability to fix what I felt was important or let them fail miserably. I win either way I vote. I always choose a candidate that has more potential than the other one. They prove their value while in office.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sounds like just a fancier way of describing NeverTrump types.

A more accurate way, given the massive switch to democrats in the suburbs.

And there's no reason to think that the people described will be an identifiable, distinct, segment of the electorate after Trump is no longer prominent.

That's little more than wishful thinking. Either the Reagan republicans will regain control of the GOP, or they are lost to the party for a generation or more.

and this:
"but as the last election and the bipartisan support for Biden's bills among republican voters show, the grass-roots republicans are finding themselves more in tune with the democrats than the GOP."

is little more than wishful thinking.

Well, let's take a look at that assumption:

President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan is steadily making its way to a full House vote, and although Republican lawmakers have been in staunch opposition of the bill, Republican voters seem to largely support it.

A Morning Consult/Politico poll released on Wednesday found that the public overwhelmingly supports the stimulus plan that includes $1,400 stimulus checks and extended unemployment benefits, with support from 89% of Democrats, 71% of independents, and 60% of Republicans, with only 30% of Republicans saying they somewhat or strongly oppose the package. The poll is further evidence of support for the plan among Republican voters, as Insider previously reported that at least several aspects of the plan are popular with that cohort.

Only 17% of voters overall said they opposed the package.
60% of Republican voters support Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus plan, poll finds

As you see, there's broad bipartisan support for the bill among all Americans, republicans, democrats, and independents. The republicans in Congress are defying their own voters for purely partisan motives. If Biden gets a recovery going as well as he's kept his promise to get vaccines out there into arms, the radical right will be the big losers. And Americans will be the winners.

That's why the republicans in Congress are defying their own voters. That's a risky game, given the large number of Biden republicans already supporting him.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like the sound of a Biden Republican. It has a nice ring to it. Maybe I'll start referring to myself as one instead of a Never Trumper. I defected this last election and voted for Biden too. I'll vote against the Republican Party again in the 2022 mid-term elections if any of Trump's yes-man sycophants are on the ballot here in Texas.

It's a better term, because there are a lot of people who identify with the traditional center-right orientation of the republican party.

And America needs that party. So a lot of us are pulling for republicans to regain control of the GOP from the white nationalists and radical right extremists.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

However, we can also appreciate how a lot of voters feel that, after trusting the GOP year after year since Reagan, to do what it said it would do if given power but then did not do time and again when it had the chance...they're of a mood to think that there's not all that much to be lost by calling an end to the routine.

It's very interesting to watch the Democratic version of this. I'm talking especially about Jimmy Dore's channel on You-tube. People who were proBernie and didnot like him selling out to Pelosi. I enjoy watching the channel because while there politics is almost 180 degree opposite of mine, they really hate the gas lighting by the media on various topics. They in some ways were much more articulate on why the "Collusion with Russian" of Trump was bogus etc. They pulled out some good internal documents from focus groups of the DNC, and other things that if you pieced it together with statements made by Obama, and stuff from Fox News you could build quite a case that things were a sham.

• Informative
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And America needs that party. So a lot of us are pulling for republicans to regain control of the GOP from the white nationalists and radical right extremists.

This occurred to me, and it might not be true, but it works for me. The radical right watches sports.
For me, this means they have buddies and friends and family that support the team and believe anything they are told by the coach. They are believers and that is their way of life.

The"left" are all Lilly livered wish-wash pansies that blow with the wind and carry rainbow flags instead of American flags.

I'm not in agreement with the far right...but I see their point. The left does not stick to their guns or appreciate the heritage. And now I understand the flag issue and the statue issue. It's not about defending slavery. It's about honoring their ancestors. It's not something I do, but I do understand why people would.

The left has no solid team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It won't be over for a while. Just as the Civil War didn't end racism, so Trump's overwhelming defeat at the poll, and his failed attempt to overturn the election with fraudulent claims of ballot cheating, will not end the nightmare for the republican party. Unless someone can find a way to return the republican party to sanity, it's going to drag on for a while. A good sign is that republican voters overwhelmingly support Biden's recovery bill, even though republican members of Congress defy their own supporters and obey Trump.

It is looking as though a bipartisan majority will allow the nation to continue, even as a significant number of QAnon cultists, white nationalists, and ambitious politicians will oppose a recovery.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's very interesting to watch the Democratic version of this. I'm talking especially about Jimmy Dore's channel on You-tube. People who were proBernie and didnot like him selling out to Pelosi.

Biden seems to have done very will with Bernie's core constituency:

In the key battlegrounds, those younger voters likely netted Biden enough votes to carry the Electoral College. Based on turnout and exit poll data, the Tufts center estimates voters under 30 gave Biden enough net votes to carry Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania — and even Michigan, a state Biden won by a relatively comfortable 148,000 votes.

Biden’s margins were especially strong among young voters of color. He won more than 80 percent among both Black and Asian young voters, and nearly three-quarters of the young Hispanic vote. Biden led Trump by 6 points, 51 percent to 45 percent, among younger white voters.
Young voters set turnout record, aiding Biden win

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let say 6 vs.... 3 and 3. So who wins?
If Mr. Trump had said to wear a mask a year ago he would still be President, I'm not going to say how I voted, we follow Christ, not Mr. Biden or Mr. Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If Mr. Trump had said to wear a mask a year ago he would still be President, I'm not going to say how I voted, we follow Christ, not Mr. Biden or Mr. Trump.
People have short memories of the events from a year ago.

While Biden issues a statement once in awhile that someone else has written for him, Trump was constantly holding press conferences, taking questions, consulting the experts who everyone is familiar with, issuing regulations, and making resources available to state governments, etc.

And for that he was--fairly effectively, I admit--mischaracterized by the usual antagonists who were determined to nay-say anything and everything he did.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
While Biden issues a statement once in awhile that someone else has written for him, Trump was constantly holding press conferences, taking questions, consulting the experts who everyone is familiar with, issuing regulations, and making resources available to state governments, etc.

And for that he was--fairly effectively, I admit--mischaracterized by the usual antagonists who were determined to nay-say anything and everything he did.

Well, let's take a look at that...

President Trump deliberately downplayed the severity of the coronavirus despite knowing in early February that the virus was “deadly.” according to a new book from Bob Woodward.

“I wanted to always play it down,” he told Woodward on March 19th, according to audio obtained by CNN. “I still like playing it down because I don’t want to create a panic.”

Listen: Trump Admits on Tape He Deliberately Downplayed Covid-19

Lying to the American people about the seriousness of the pandemic was a huge mistake politically, and ended up needlessly killing tens of thousands of people.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

President Trump deliberately downplayed the severity of the coronavirus despite knowing in early February that the virus was “deadly.” according to a new book from Bob Woodward.

“I wanted to always play it down,” he told Woodward on March 19th, according to audio obtained by CNN. “I still like playing it down because I don’t want to create a panic.”

Lying to the American people about the seriousness of the pandemic was a huge mistake politically, and ended up needlessly killing tens of thousands of people.

How soon they forget...

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.31.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.34.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.34.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.35.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.35.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.36.19 PM.png

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

How soon they forget...

We didn't. It's probably the most important reason he lost so badly to Joe Biden. Millions of Americans remembered and held Trump accountable. You're puzzled? Here's why:

Notice all your stuff is in January and February, before we realized how bad it was. But Trump admitted that he was lying about how bad it was going to be in late March, when it was becoming clear to epidemiologists and doctors.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Upvote 0