Richard1

Nov 29, 2004
London
✟123.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Mathew, chapter 19, verse 23. Jesus said, 'Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven'.

My income is below the national average and I consider myself poor by British standards. However, I saved up my money and I took a six weeks vacation to the African nation of Tanzania. What I witnessed was another level of poverty. Indeed I was treated as though rich and my £'s had a lot of mileage in them.

Are the Americans, British and those of advanced industrialized nations like the rich man in the Bible?

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Even those with absolutely nothing can be like the "rich man" . The idea of money is having something that has a certain value . Some people will place value on anything . It could be a relationship , a habit , an article of clothing , a book , a religion , the bible . It wasn't that the rich man had a lot of material things , it was that the rich man placed more importance on them than the Lord .

Upvote 0

Christ's Minister

Aug 18, 2004
HAWAII
✟287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's important to quote the whole verse concerning the rich..Jesus said that it is as hard for the rich to get into heaven as it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.In biblical days,cities had tall walls around them to keep animals from entering the streets.The walls had holes in them through which humans could enter,if they bent over,but large animals could not.These holes in the wall were called "eyes of the needle."

There is no reason to believe that when Jesus used the word "rich"he was referring to anything other than those who are financially wealthy,especially since they were periodic targets of His criticism.This is why Jesus taught His disciples and they required all the early Christians to share their wealth and income with each other so that all needs would be met equally and no one would profit at another's expense.

The wealth of those living in a handful of nations is so great compared to the vast majority of the world, that it is really hard to comprehend and most certainly must enrage God.Here are just a couple of quick statistics:The annual military budget in the United States has now shot above 400 billion dollars a year with another huge Iraq war supplement to be added soon.If just 20 billion dollars were taken from military spending and used for aid to help eliminate poverty in other countries (the root cause of much of the world's terrorism),the budget for American humanitarian aid would double from its current level.Talk about sinful priorities!:sick:

The only way to interpret Jesus' teachings on wealth is that God requires the rich to help the poor to attempt to raise them to their standard of living just as Jesus required His disciples to do, and failure to do this is likely to result in a sentence to hell.

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
AMEN, Christ's Minister,
Jesus did say it over, and over and over. Its to take the Lords name in vain when we say he is our lord and we are saved, yet we dont do what he say.
"Sell what you have , give to the poor and follow me." Jesus is the way.

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Christ's Minister said:
The only way to interpret Jesus' teachings on wealth is that God requires the rich to help the poor to attempt to raise them to their standard of living just as Jesus required His disciples to do, and failure to do this is likely to result in a sentence to hell.
No, the only thing that will result in a sentence to hell is rejecting salvation through Jesus the Christ. Having money or not having money has zip to do with it. It's a heart thing. :)

Asaph

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Mt.19:24)

When His disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, "Who then can be saved?" (vs 25) [The rich can gain entrance to where ever they want, if they can't make it, where does that leave us??]

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, "With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." (vs 26)

Eye of the 'needle'......Needle #4476 Strong's Exhaustive Concordance that is keyed to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, which says..........

Needle (rhaphis): (rhapto to sew) a needle; Mt.19:24, Mk.10:25, Lk.18:25

Upvote 0

xsynerinc

the Great Creator became my Savior
Jul 29, 2004
Indiana
✟334.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Richard1 said:
Mathew, chapter 19, verse 23. Jesus said, 'Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven'.

My income is below the national average and I consider myself poor by British standards. However, I saved up my money and I took a six weeks vacation to the African nation of Tanzania. What I witnessed was another level of poverty. Indeed I was treated as though rich and my £'s had a lot of mileage in them.

Are the Americans, British and those of advanced industrialized nations like the rich man in the Bible?
it wasnt the riches that kept the rich man from entering into the kingdom. it was his refusal to give those riches for the spreading of the kingdom.

the other disciples had given all to follow Christ. and Jesus promised them that they'd get 100 fold back on what they put in.

whatever the amount.. America has given. and whatever other nation where people have accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This is not about nations , its about discipleship. The holy Spirit is speaking to each one of us personly. All nation's have turned from God. We are all sinners with nothing to be proud of. Its only in our new life following Christ that we escape what is coming on all who forsake God. Our tribulation is not Gods wrath or we could not take it. No matter how we as disciples are treated its light weight compared to what those who abuse us have to go through. "I will sing of the mercy of the Lord forever, I will sing."

Upvote 0

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TheDandyMan said:
Rich as in not how much value your money has, but how much you value your money.

It's hard for somebody who has succumbed to their wealth to get into heaven. But look at Solomon, for example.
Excellent point! :thumbsup: If the spirit of God truly lives within our hearts, then money will lead to generosity. If not, then it will lead to greed. Greed leads to many evils and sins...and that *greed* is what will ultimately separate us from God.

God, not only wants us to have an abundant life with Him in eternity, but He also desires us to have an abundant life here on earth. Abundance and wealth could mean many things, health, happiness, etc...but it also may include money.

What matters is the condition of our hearts. Is it generous, humble, grateful....or is it greedy, arrogant, self-serving?

May we all keep God close to our hearts and love others. :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IamWashed

Dec 14, 2004
NE Oklahoma
✟134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that the rich man wasn't only rich but had a high standing in society. To be rich in those days was not only to be wealthy as we know it but to have a high standing.(status) They would put more emphasis on that than almost anything. For the rich man to give up everything he had to follow Jesus meant alot more than just money or riches. It meant he would have to lose his "place" in society. To put more emphasis on what people think of you instead of keeping your eyes on Jesus would be just as bad if you were truly rich and put more value in your earthly value than God. Both are equally as bad. You can be poor and still be rich in Spirit. Just as an example... President Bush is a Christian, Jesus came down here and asked him to give everything up and follow him, now that would mean he would have to leave his office of president AND the money it brings him. If he were to refuse Jesus because our country needed him(ie. afraid of what the people of the US would say)-not because of the money-he would be a "rich" man in "status". I'm starting to confuse myself now so I will just say this.... A "rich" man isn't only considered rich by money but also by status or position in society. If I am wrong... please let me know. Thanks..... :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
IamWashed said:
I believe that the rich man wasn't only rich but had a high standing in society. To be rich in those days was not only to be wealthy as we know it but to have a high standing.(status) They would put more emphasis on that than almost anything. For the rich man to give up everything he had to follow Jesus meant alot more than just money or riches. It meant he would have to lose his "place" in society. To put more emphasis on what people think of you instead of keeping your eyes on Jesus would be just as bad if you were truly rich and put more value in your earthly value than God. Both are equally as bad. You can be poor and still be rich in Spirit. Just as an example... President Bush is a Christian, Jesus came down here and asked him to give everything up and follow him, now that would mean he would have to leave his office of president AND the money it brings him. If he were to refuse Jesus because our country needed him(ie. afraid of what the people of the US would say)-not because of the money-he would be a "rich" man in "status". I'm starting to confuse myself now so I will just say this.... A "rich" man isn't only considered rich by money but also by status or position in society. If I am wrong... please let me know. Thanks..... :)
You have a good point. I mean, next to some starving African or Afghan, I've got it pretty good. But I don't have enough money to buy a car or support a family here in America. One can be filthy rich compared to the average Tanzanian, but dirt poor in an industrialized country due to different standards of living. If I had a family on my income in a third world country, I'd still be set. But if I had a family on this same income here, I'd probably be getting food stamps.

BTW, the presidency only makes a few hundred thousand dollars a year. This is peanuts compared to what CEOs make, and I'm sure our President has plenty of money saved up from that. And that is not a sin. Hoarding is a sin, and I am not quick to judge on who is hoarding and who isn't.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
IamWashed said:
I do know from taking economics in college that wealth can have many definitions depending on context.

My personal opinion is that you have to look at the average standard of living in the nation where you live to determine whether you are truelly wealthy. The reason that I say that is money is power and one reason I believe that the rich are cautioned by Jeuss is that they have the power that goes with the money. That power can be used to avoid facing struggles that average people face.

There is no sin in being rich. But how we use it is important. There is a verse in proverbs which says it is good not to be too rich or too poor because both extremes carry temptations which we need an extra measure of grace to overcome. The person too poor is tempted with envy and jealosy and maybe even with stealing and other vices. The wealthy are tempted with greed and suspious nature towards people because of the fear that evryone is always after their money.

I do think that we need to look at our lifestyle and our stewardship to the Lord whatever situation we find ourselves in finanically.

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Its very simple If there is anything we cant give up for the sake of doing the work of God, that thing or person is an idol chaining us to this evil world. Some few people with riches and social standing do give it up. But it is very rare in the United States and Europe.
If the president of the UNITED STATES preached the gospel of Jesus Christ he would be dispised, rejected and impeached.

Upvote 0

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yitzchak said:
There is no sin in being rich. But how we use it is important. There is a verse in proverbs which says it is good not to be too rich or too poor because both extremes carry temptations which we need an extra measure of grace to overcome. The person too poor is tempted with envy and jealosy and maybe even with stealing and other vices. The wealthy are tempted with greed and suspious nature towards people because of the fear that evryone is always after their money.

I do think that we need to look at our lifestyle and our stewardship to the Lord whatever situation we find ourselves in finanically.
So true! Good point! Once blessed with richness, it is all too tempting to take our eyes off God. If we look to God and remember to give him thanks in all blessings, our heart will remain humble and rooted in God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Richard1 said:

hiya:wave:

If you gave all you're money away to the poor then you would be poor and so would they still.

The poor you will always have with you- Jesus Christ

Give a beggar your money and he will buy food or booze and drugs for a while. But give him a means of employment and he will be able to work for himself.

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The parable of the rich man is in Matthew Mark and Luke. The Holy Spirit is speaking to you at this time. And he is repeating himself. Please read the scriptures below.

Luke 12:32-34*
32“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 19:20-22*

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

***21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

***22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Mark 10:20-22*
20“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

***21Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

***22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Luke 18:21-23*

***21“All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.

***22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

***23When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth.
Yes brethren where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

Even if your wealth is small it is ment by God to be shared and he does not tell you it will leave you poor. In fact he says you will receave 100 fold more in this world and the next with persacution. Praise the Lord. Its good to walk with Jesus . Who do you trust?

Upvote 0

Topaz

Dec 14, 2004
Angels Camp
✟11,662.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yitzchak said:
I do know from taking economics in college that wealth can have many definitions depending on context.

My personal opinion is that you have to look at the average standard of living in the nation where you live to determine whether you are truelly wealthy. The reason that I say that is money is power and one reason I believe that the rich are cautioned by Jeuss is that they have the power that goes with the money. That power can be used to avoid facing struggles that average people face.

Very well said. I have known very wealthy people with generosity to give a large portion of their earnings to charities, and this they do willingly. I have known wealthy people who give $5 a week to their church, and that is all they donate, even though they have 100s of thousands of dollars in their bank accounts. I have known poor people who have given 20% of their meager income to charity donations or church. Who ever has the charity of giving in their hearts should do so with a humble heart, without showing off by doing so. :bow:

Upvote 0

treerootbill

Jul 16, 2004
✟15,726.00
Country
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Richard1 said:
You have to remember that what is rich in sub sahara africa can be poor in the US. You can be working 50 hours a week in a restaurant just to feed your children in the US but on the same wage in Nigeria you could buy and run a mansion.
So having more money does not necessarily make you richer. Having more buying power for everyday life does.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
All of us have riches, some surely have riches as material wealth, but we all have riches, which we tend to rely upon rather than God. We can hinder our reliance on God when we rely on other things, be they money, or ability, or personality, or intellect, or musical talent, or athletic ability. We think, “I am important because I am intelligent.” Or “I am valuable, because I have a great athletic gift.” Or “I will find satisfaction in a great musical career.” Ask yourself what you are relying upon which keeps you from relying on God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.