Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
rusmeister said:
Second the motion on that!
To those who seem to think that the noble idea of separation of church and state necessarily translates to a need to remove a cross, even a non-Orthodox one, I have to say, Wow.

Seriously, as Russia is becoming a country that honors God, America is becoming a country that is ceasing to do so. I believe America has been blessed, even if not an Orthodox country, because so many people have honored God. America is spinning away from Christ rapidly, and all of this insistence on "rights" is in the end, un-Christian.

By contrast, there are billboards in Moscow with references to church and even the Commandment about honoring your parents on the Sholkovskoye Highway. Not a peep heard from local atheists.

It's ironic that Christianity is a major faith that in America tolerates other beliefs. Instead of working to remove symbols of Christianity all of these non-Christians should try being thankful that the dominant religion is one that tolerates their dissent.

:amen:

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nutroll said:
I agree with Maureen in that the United States is Majority Rule but incorporates Minority Rights.

But find me the right not to be offended anywhere in the law.

This is kind of a personal issue for me. The ACLU sends "watchdogs" to sit in on my dad's courtroom (he's a family court judge) because he's known to be religious. In his personal life. In reality, it's probably because he used to be a lawyer for their primary opposition, but their line is they have to keep an eye on him, lest he slip and mention God or something. They are shoving their religious beliefs down his throat daily, and the government doesn't stop them.

Personally, I would help them build a big star of David, crescent, statue of Buddha, or whatever next to that cross, in the interest of respecting the religions of all those soldiers (who were probably all Chrsitian or Jewish anyway, but whatever). The existence of people who are different than me doesn't offend me, and neither do reminders that those people exist. It takes a really insecure person to be offended by the mention of, or visual representation of, a belief system other than their own. Those people always seem to be athiests, or Islamic fundamentalists. Funny, that.

Reactions: Khaleas
Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ufonium2 said:

This is kind of a personal issue for me. The ACLU sends "watchdogs" to sit in on my dad's courtroom (he's a family court judge) because he's known to be religious. In his personal life. In reality, it's probably because he used to be a lawyer for their primary opposition, but their line is they have to keep an eye on him, lest he slip and mention God or something. They are shoving their religious beliefs down his throat daily, and the government doesn't stop them.

Personally, I would help them build a big star of David, crescent, statue of Buddha, or whatever next to that cross, in the interest of respecting the religions of all those soldiers (who were probably all Chrsitian or Jewish anyway, but whatever). The existence of people who are different than me doesn't offend me, and neither do reminders that those people exist. It takes a really insecure person to be offended by the mention of, or visual representation of, a belief system other than their own. Those people always seem to be athiests, or Islamic fundamentalists. Funny, that.

If a Christian would be offended by what the Atheist does, we'd be cooked, grilled, broiled and fried. And the Christian thing to do is not to roll over and give up - Father keeps reminding us of that. Loving thy neighbor is not letting them do whatever they want, like play loud music, without speaking up.
The next cross they might get offended by is the one on your church. Sure it's on private property but that hasn't stopped them before.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟63,542.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
ufonium2 said:

Personally, I would help them build a big star of David, crescent, statue of Buddha, or whatever next to that cross, in the interest of respecting the religions of all those soldiers (who were probably all Chrsitian or Jewish anyway, but whatever). The existence of people who are different than me doesn't offend me, and neither

So do reminders that those people exist. It takes a really insecure person to be offended by the mention of, or visual representation of, a belief system other than their own. Those people always seem to be athiests, or Islamic fundamentalists. Funny, that.

So how would the Atheists be represented^_^ .

I personally believe that Atheism is more of a religion than a philosophy.
:sigh:

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ramesses said:
So how would the Atheists be represented^_^ .

I personally believe that Atheism is more of a religion than a philosophy.
:sigh:

Ever heard of the black hole theory... :p

DISCLAIMER:
(that was a joke for anyone getting offended)

Upvote 0

Petronius

May 10, 2005
✟15,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Khaleas said:

If a Christian would be offended by what the Atheist does, we'd be cooked, grilled, broiled and fried. And the Christian thing to do is not to roll over and give up - Father keeps reminding us of that. Loving thy neighbor is not letting them do whatever they want, like play loud music, without speaking up.
The next cross they might get offended by is the one on your church. Sure it's on private property but that hasn't stopped them before.

What about the cross on the traffic sign " crossing" ? Or at crossings between road and railway ?

Upvote 0

Maksim

Mar 12, 2004
✟15,257.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This kind of thing should be left to private organizations and churches to start with. The same government that puts up a cross as a monument can use tax money to promote abortion, gay marriage, and so on.

I think the solution is to defend the right to private property, so this kind of monument can be paid for by those who support it. Offended by a cross on someone's private property? Tough luck, build what you want on your own land. But at the same time, we shouldn't support government funding for things just because we happen to like them. Yes, atheists are a tiny minority. But so are Orthodox Christians. What happens when the government decides to do something with our tax money that is against our beliefs?

Reactions: nutroll
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟281,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not suggesting that we go on a cross removal spree, nor that we should whitewash all Christian symbols across the country. I think if a community unanimously wants a thousand foot statue of Jesus in their town square, then they can feel free to do whatever they want. But when someone comes along that says that it was an inappropriate use of funds, and that it should not sit on public land, a court following the law and the constitution will always find that it was inappropriate, and to blame the judges is absurd. Should people be less sensitive and not complain about the religious symbols around us? Sure. But I don't think that this is a perversion of the justice system. And finally, I just want to say that I do respect the desire of everyone on this board to keep religion in the public sphere. I think we all benefit from the spread of Christianity. I just humbly disagree with how this is best acheived.

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
what you will do if you live in an islamic country , where the islam is the religion of the country , in every street there are alot of mosques pray the 5 daily prayers in very loud voice through microphones , islamic banners everywhere , quran broadcasting in the public traffics and taxis , ...etc

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.