"The Reform of the 'Reform'" inches ahead...

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In additon to the truer translation of the Holy Mass that is planned (but implementation still a ways off...) and can be seen at USCCB - Roman Missal | Examples

There is this other news coming from Rome: RORATE CÆLI

URGENT: [size=10pt]The "Reform of the Reform" is in motion [/size]
In today's edition of Italian daily Il Giornale, religious journalist Andrea Tornielli brings the news that several "propositiones" approved by the plenary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (reserved session held on March 12, 2009) regarding several reforms of the new Mass of Paul VI. Full translation below:

ROME The document was delivered to the hands of Benedict XVI in the morning of last April 4 by Spanish Cardinal Antonio Cañizares Llovera, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship. It is the result of a reserved vote, which took place on March 12, in the course of a "plenary" session of the dicastery responsible for the liturgy, and it represents the first concrete step towards that "reform of the reform" often desired by Pope Ratzinger.

The Cardinals and Bishops members of the Congregation voted almost unanimously in favor of a greater sacrality of the rite, of the recovery of the sense of Eucharistic worship, of the recovery of the Latin language in the celebration, and of the remaking of the introductory parts of the Missal in order to put a stop to abuses, wild experimentations, and inappropriate creativity. They have also declared themselves favorable to reaffirm that the usual way of receiving Communion according to the norms is not on the hand, but in the mouth. There is, it is true, and indult which, on request of the [local] episcopates, allows for the distribution of the host [sic] also on the palm of the hand, but this must remain an extraordinary fact. The "Liturgy Minister" of Pope Ratzinger, Cañizares, is also having studies made on the possibility to recover the orientation towards the Orient of the celebrant, at least at the moment of the Eucharistic consecration, as it happened in practice before the reform, when both the faithful and the priest faced towards the Cross and the priest therefore turned his back to the assembly.

Those who know Cardinal Cañizares, nicknamed "the small Ratzinger" before his removal to Rome, know that he is disposed to move forward decisively with the project, beginning in fact from what was established by the Second Vatican Council in the liturgical constitution Sacrosanctum Concilium, which was, in reality, exceeded by the post-Conciliar reform which came into forceat the end of the Sixties. The porporato, interviewed by monthly 30Days in recent months, had declared regarding this: "At times change was for the mere sake of changing from a past perceived as negative and outdated. Sometimes the reform was regarded as a break and not as an organic development of Tradition."

For this reason, the "propositiones" voted by the Cardinals and Bishops at the March plenary foresee a return to the sense of sacredness and to adoration, but also a recovery of the celebrations in Latin in the dioceses, at least in the main solemnities, as well as the publication of bilingual Missals - a request made at his time by Paul VI - with the Latin text first.

The proposals of the Congregation, which Cañizares delivered to the Pope, obtaining his approval, are perfectly in line with the idea often expressed by Joseph Ratzinger when he was still a Cardinal, as it is made clear his unpublished words on the liturgy, revealed in advanced by Il Giornale yesterday, and which will be published in the book Davanti al Protagonista (Cantagalli [publisher]), presented beforehand at a congress in Rimini. With a significant nota bene: for the accomplishment of the "reform of the reform", many years will be necessary. The Pope is convinced that hasty steps, as well as to simply drop directives from above, serve no good, with the risk that they may later remain a dead letter. The style of Ratzinger is that of comparison and, above all, of example. As the fact that, for more than a year, whoever approaches the Pope for Communion, have had to kneel down on the kneeler especially placed by the cerimonieri.
The Holy See appears, under the gentle guidance of Pope Benedict XVI is slowly guiding the Holy Mother Church towards a general liturgical reform in more sacral direction, in the Roman rite, in an effort to recover the sense of the Sacred and reinvigorate in Catholics and especially in Holy Mass, the true "holiness' that is inherent therein and emphasize its presence for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deo_Adiuvante

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
when i see all the liturgical abuse in our parishes... especially this weekend's mass was terrible, creed was skipped, the whole mass was rushed to a mere 30 minutes, no sense of sacred. this reform of the reform is very welcome.

although i'm wondering if any liturgical reform can remedy the heart of a rebelling priest :(

i'm not too sure about Latin yet as i 'm so used to understand everything that's being said without necessarily following in a book but i guess it's one more reason to definitely include Latin in my kids school curriculum ^_^

praying for our priests and for the reform to bring back the sens of sacredness :prayer:

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Prayers can fix that, Anygma. Remember that St Augustine would have not probably converted without the tearful prayers of his mother.

The creed? Oh dear, Even a snail with no sense for Liturgy like me, knows that you cannot skip the Creed.

yeah, i know, i was told that i need to pray a lot for this specific priest. i'm willing to do as much as i can but i'm also considering outsourcing some extra :help:

i remember years ago when he had moved to my parish when i was still in town. he was using a lot of numerology in his homilies. he doesn't seem to do that as much lately. but he doesn't believe in individual confession and absolution either and it shows in his lack of availability :( i find it scary considering he is in charge of 6 parishes in our rural area.

Upvote 0

JennyKatz

I'm a leaf on the wind. . .watch how I soar
Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hear about liturgical abuses all the time and have been told some amazingly horrible stories about priests who seem to be more pagan than Christian. It makes me feel extraordinarily blessed that, in the two years since I've converted, I've only ever attended churches with priests who are orthodox in their teachings and congregations that seem reverent in their participation of the Mass. I hope I'm always so lucky.

Upvote 0
C

Cardinal John H. Newman

Thanks for the good news Matthaeus. :) I would love to see reform in the Church's liturgy. One church I know of incorporates the use of a guitar in the liturgy. I hate that.

Completely understandable. At one of our local parishes, we have a guitar, base guitars, piano, organ, drums, trumpet, tambarines (and all those other shaking things), added to the audience clapping off beat.

Even if they kept those instruments, they could at least tone it down a lot and take out the offbeat clapping.

It's not my favorite mass but since all my friends go to it, its the one I mostly go to.

The only opposition to the music in that Mass, is me and the priest. Lol.

Cardinal Newman:crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cardinal John H. Newman

The Holy See appears, under the gentle guidance of Pope Benedict XVI is slowly guiding the Holy Mother Church towards a general liturgical reform in more sacral direction, in the Roman rite, in an effort to recover the sense of the Sacred and reinvigorate in Catholics and especially in Holy Mass, the true "holiness' that is inherent therein and emphasis its presence for all.

I'm looking forward to it. Even though the Vatican currently denies it, when an unanimous vote has been held in the Congregation for Divine Worship and Liturgy and the petition is presented to a Latin Mass loving Pope. Geez. I can't wait. Let the Reform of the Reform begin and with it, let the time of Vatican 2 begin (without the false interpretations over the past 40 years).

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that it is important for people to experience God's presence during Mass (even though He's present in the bread and wine, people need to have that inner knowing which only comes from experience.)

Obviously I am coming from a different place than many people here, but what I find helpful in experiencing God's presence at Mass is intimacy.

That's why I find so many of the attempts to further distance God from the congregation as discouraging to reverence.

How do we foster intimacy? By becoming like the early Church. By fostering community.

Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think there are many more people like me than there are people who want to erect more barriers between God and man.

When I was a child, I always thought the paten was somewhat like a guillitone. It seemed threatening and unfriendly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sooo.. Are you saying that reforming the liturgy will break down barriers or erect barriers, or are you just posting a general discourse on barriers in the Church?

I'm not following. :o

I just find the heading of this thread to be misleading.

Shouldn't it be "the Reform of the Reform" is inching BACKWARD?

Obviously the leadership of this congregation has fallen into the hands of those who never wanted Vatican II to begin with.

And I can feel for them. I understand it's frightening for them to see how much the world has changed. It's frightening for all of us.

Their error is in thinking that Vatican II was the cause of what's happening in the world, because the reforms of Vatican II haven't forestalled the cataclysmic changes in the world.

But, as one of my favorite priests always says, the pre-Vatican II Church wouldn't have done any better, and, as a matter of fact, would have done a heckuva lot worse.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that it is important for people to experience God's presence during Mass (even though He's present in the bread and wine, people need to have that inner knowing which only comes from experience.)

Obviously I am coming from a different place than many people here, but what I find helpful in experiencing God's presence at Mass is intimacy.

That's why I find so many of the attempts to further distance God from the congregation as discouraging to reverence.

How do we foster intimacy? By becoming like the early Church. By fostering community.

Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think there are many more people like me than there are people who want to erect more barriers between God and man.

When I was a child, I always thought the paten was somewhat like a guillitone. It seemed threatening and unfriendly.

There are many ways to foster community outside of Mass, so it's totally unnecessary to shift the focus of the Mass away from a vertical form of worship to more of a horizontal....for the sake of building community.

Upvote 0