The real world of science

napajohn

Oct 14, 2003
✟1,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nathan Poe said:
Science split the atom; man made it into a bomb.

Science showed up germs; man harvested the deadliest.

Science taught us about the human body; man wanted to find ways to inflict pain on it. Religion gave us the Inquisition.

Science gave us moving pictures; man decided they wanted inappropriate contento.

Science has the means to provide food; man keeps it locked up in warehouses while millions starve.

Science gives us the media; man decides what shows go on it, and man decides what to watch.

Find yourself another boogyman, John; you're making a fool of yourself.

and thanks to the science of the internet, the whole world knows it.

Huh??? Science does the positive things; man does the negative?!!..no my friend man uses principles of science for both good and bad..what John is trying to say is that many claim science to be the answer to all problems of the world: that science will populate the stars, that science will change all that is wrong , cancer and all diseases will be cured...We tend to believe this and even claim that evolution is as fact as the world is round...there is a difference bet science and what many claim to be science...

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Phred said:
PROVE your contentions to the same standards that scientific theories are held to. PROVE it or all you have is a myth you believe in.

You know why people aren't raised from the dead anymore John? Because these days we KNOW when someone's really dead.
You just proved it for me. You admit that 100 years ago, science could not tell you if a person was dead or not. So 100 years ago, you admit that science was not creditable. Now show me where they are trustworthy now.

Do you know what a dead ringer is? Do you know what a grave yard shift is? I am told that they use to bury people with a bell around them. So if it turns out they were not really dead, they could dig them back up again.

You have to much confidence in man's ability to be able to reason and be logical. Man is very limited in what they are able to do.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
fungle said:
But the development of this saw scientific method emerge and with that a refinement of use of results until the inquistion also developed their methods.
Science was on trial at the inquistion. The scientific method today would not have emerged if the church had not allowed it to "emerge". In some ways, the inquisition was a review board that people with new ideas had to go before to see if those ideas would be accepted by the church or not. Some people did that willingly, others not so willingly.

The part we tend to hear the most about was with a group of people that were calling the Pope the antichrist. Needless to say, sparks were flying. But that actually was a small part of the inquisition.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
napajohn said:
Huh??? Science does the positive things; man does the negative?!!..no my friend man uses principles of science for both good and bad..
John chooses to blame "science" for the bad.

what John is trying to say is that many claim science to be the answer to all problems of the world:
and when you real the rest of his anti-"science" rants, you'll see his claim that science is the cause of all problems of the world.

that science will populate the stars,
You think it won't someday?

that science will change all that is wrong,
Who believes this?

cancer and all diseases will be cured...
Won't they someday?

We tend to believe this and even claim that evolution is as fact as the world is round...there is a difference bet science and what many claim to be science...
And there is a huge difference between science and what John claims to be science. Do a search of his posts and you'll see.

DNFTT.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
royboy said:
John, sorry if you've already answered the question, but what do you think about the idea of science being a tool? A tool that can be used for good or evil depending on the person.
Good or Evil. Now where have I heard this before? O Yeah, Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I do not think God was happy with her.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
Good or Evil. Now where have I heard this before? O Yeah, Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I do not think God was happy with her.
So you're comparing science to the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil?
You're comparing scientific knowledge with moral knowledge?

Upvote 0

napajohn

Oct 14, 2003
✟1,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nathan Poe said:
John chooses to blame "science" for the bad.

and when you real the rest of his anti-"science" rants, you'll see his claim that science is the cause of all problems of the world.

You think it won't someday?

Who believes this?

Won't they someday?

And there is a huge difference between science and what John claims to be science. Do a search of his posts and you'll see.

kinda new to this website ..will not delve into what John is saying but i do believe that scientists will try to solve mans problems..however there is a point that scientists due to economic, logistical, and/or natural barriers where "science" cannot address...Colonizing the stars?..lets do the moon first...better yet lets convert the sahara and all other areas of the earth first before we try tackling the stars...Science cannot come up with a valid understanding of earthquake predictions and a cure all for cancer and all other diseases..maybe the Genome project may be a start but as of now and billions of dollars in research we have yet to find a cure for cancer...is this impossible?...probably not but until humans can acheive the ages of Enoch and others maybe we should wait to see how science can extend the life of man in the 150's before we start trumpeting its salvation for All or most of mans woes.

DNFTT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
fungle said:
JOHN
Could you give a reference for the last post. Has it been peer reviewed?
Has what been peer reviewed? I just quoted the Bible that Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 2:16-17
And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; [17] but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
JohnR7 said:
Once again I am made speachless by one of John's posts. :rolleyes:

"Your logic does not resemble our earth logic"

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
wblastyn said:
Once again I am made speachless by one of John's posts. :rolleyes:

"Your logic does not resemble our earth logic"
A set-up line if ever there was one...

Now we can all just sit back, and wait for John to go off into his "Well, of course it's not earth (man's) logic; I've got the mind of Christ" routine.

DNFTT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.