W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From my perspective, the denominations are a subdivision of the whole church.
You are looking at the parts and trying to figure out which part is the church.
They are all parts of the whole. In fact, the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts.
This is a very freeing thought if you can get hold of it.

I love fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ from other denominations. We are all one church. It's a beautiful thing. So, please don't make it ugly.
Denominations are not members of the church, people are.

How can God call teachers to teach us both Catholicism and Protestantism? Answer that question please.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats what you say, but i say it proves that the church doesnt have teachers who are called by God but instead are trained in falible tradition and doctrine by man.
That covers all clergy of every kind. A great response is the Bereans who searched scripture on everything that was taught to them. That's a goal I work towards myself.

11 Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.
12 As a result, many of them believed, along with quite a few prominent Greek women and men.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That covers all clergy of every kind. A great response is the Bereans who searched scripture on everything that was taught to them. That's a goal I work towards myself.
Clergy from the various churches are teaching different doctrines that are not compatible with each other. Protestantism and Catholicism isnt compatible. How can this be if God called both these churches to teach?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What? You think the only thing that separates churches are clothing? That is not so.

Well said.

SkyWriting said:
They can all be called by God, but what each one wears when
they get to the door is not that important. (Clothing being a metaphor for what they think they know about God)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is another thread previously started which askd a question of cessationists, so i thought i would start one to ask a question of continuationists
It would help if you knew what it was. Just sayin'

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well said.

SkyWriting said:
They can all be called by God, but what each one wears when
they get to the door is not that important. (Clothing being a metaphor for what they think they know about God)
Here is an example. Protestantism and Catholicism are not compatible. How can this be if they are both called my God to teach?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would help if you knew what it was. Just sayin'
One side believes the gifts of the spirit have ceased the other side doesnt. All these churches assert that they have the truth, yet they all teach different incompatible doctrine? How can this be unless someone is not called by God to teach?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clergy from the various churches are teaching different doctrines that are not compatible with each other. Protestantism and Catholicism isnt compatible. How can this be if God called both these churches to teach?
You must be from Ireland.
Some follow the Pope, some do not. Jesus is not worried.

Who is compatible with God is listed below, Protestants and Catholics both:

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 16:31
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life
; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Denominations are not members of the church, people are.

How can God call teachers to teach us both Catholicism and Protestantism? Answer that question please.
I have never found a church with perfect doctrine. How would such a thing even be measured? Who's standard would you use? (and don't say the Bible before you read the rest of my post)

In fact, doctrine by definition is manmade.
It is our attempts to codify what the Bible says into terms that are more accessible.
Since the biblical support for a single doctrine may be spread out over many Bible passages.

In large part we all believe the basics. And those basics lead to salvation.
From that perspective all the denominations are part of this thing we call Christianity.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You must be from Ireland.
Some follow the Pope, some do not. Jesus is not worried.
Who is compatible with God is listed below:

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 16:31
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life
; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
You seem to be avoiding the question. How can churches be gifted by God is they all teach different doctrine? How? Answer that please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never found a church with perfect doctrine. How would such a thing even be measured? Who's standard would you use? (and don't say the Bible before you read the rest of my post)

In fact, doctrine by definition is manmade.
It is our attempts to codify what the Bible says into terms that are more accessible.
Since the biblical support for a single doctrine may be spread out over many Bible passages.

In large part we all believe the basics. And those basics lead to salvation.
From that perspective all the denominations are part of this thing we call Christianity.
You also seem to be avoiding the question. If their doctrine isnt perfect, how can they claim that this doctrine is Gods will? How can they claim to be Holy Spirit gifted teachers?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One side believes the gifts of the spirit have ceased the other side doesnt. All these churches assert that they have the truth, yet they all teach different incompatible doctrine? How can this be unless someone is not called by God to teach?
That has nothing to do with continuationism. Why would you exempt Cessationists from the problem? Doctrinal differences between the denominations were not caused by continuationists. That's ridiculous.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That has nothing to do with continuationism. Why would you exempt Cessationists from the problem? Doctrinal differences between the denominations were not caused by continuationists. That's ridiculous.
Really? Who is responsible for these differences if not the teachers themselves? Who?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be avoiding the question. How can churches be gifted by God is they all teach different doctrine? How? Answer that please.

Becasue I've visited 12 or so denominations, by experience I know there is far more variety of beliefs inside each church building, than there is difference between denominations.

Inside any one church building, you will find atheists, agnostics, and members of other denominations visiting or seeking knowledge.

There is far more "division" inside any church building, than there is difference in Christian teachings.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You also seem to be avoiding the question. If their doctrine isnt perfect, how can they claim that this doctrine is Gods will? How can they claim to be Holy Spirit gifted teachers?
No one's doctrine is perfect.
What standard of doctrine are you claiming is perfect?

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? Who is responsible for these differences if not the teachers themselves? Who?
Doctrinal differences are not a problem to blame on someone.
Which of these two groups are Christians?
1) Calvinists
2) Arminians

Do they agree doctrinally? Nope. Are they both Christians? Yup.
Who would you like to blame for this "problem"?

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of them claim that their doctrine is perfect. God's Holy Spirit does not perfect people, it perfects their faith that their imperfections are forgiven.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Becasue I've visited 12 or so denominations, by experience I know there is far more variety of beliefs inside each church building, than there is difference between denominations.

Inside any one church building, you will find atheists, agnostics, and members of other denominations visiting or seeking knowledge.

There is far more "division" inside any church building, than there is difference in Christian teachings.
There is plenty of difference between the denominations. This proves they are not called by God to teach. They cant all be right. I think you are sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the facts.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I don’t know if that is relevant to his question though.

Of course, as Christians we are very open to non believers attending and hearing about Christ.

That is not division inside the church though in the sense of the members of the congregation

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one's doctrine is perfect.
What standard of doctrine are you claiming is perfect?
Was the apoostles doctrine perfect? Yes. They were actually called by God. So if churches today dont have perfect doctrine its because they are not called by God to teach.

• Winner
Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0