Indianapolis
✟25,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I’m wondering if the prodigal son is also for Christians who fall into a lifestyle of sin but come back to repentance? Some people say it’s just about sinners who were never saved coming to Jesus. The prodigal son was with the father, then he left to enjoy sexual sin until he came to the end of himself basically. He then came back and His father rushed to him and restored his place. He said “my son was dead, and is alive again.” The “again” would imply that he was once alive. Not sure if every translation has the word “again”

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is about the love of a Father for a son who has rejected him.
That love is the same for a back sliding Christian and for an unbeliever. Jesus died and rose again to save both.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is about the love of a Father for a son who has rejected him.
That love is the same for a back sliding Christian and for an unbeliever. Jesus died and rose again to save both.

Good Day, Tolworth

I am quite sure there is no scriptural warrant to say the love a father has for a son, is the same as a father would have for some one else son.

We are son by the adoption of God, therefore "un"adopted people are not sons.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Tolworth

I am quite sure there is no scriptural warrant to say the love a father has for a son, is the same as a father would have for some one else son.

In Him,

Bill
Yes I should have made it clear I thought the Father was refering to God the Father.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I should have made it clear I thought the Father was refering to God the Father.

Good day,

I understood, God the Father adopts his "sons" if God does not adopt (verb)... anybody (object), then they are not sons.

Their not being sons by definition means God the Father does not love them like "in the same way as" a son.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Taz Blue

Nov 27, 2018
Brierley Hill
✟8,358.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The prodigal son is a story, told by Jesus to illustrate (in a way we can understand) the infinite and unconditional love that God has for us all.
It basically has the same message as the story of the lost sheep in that God gives us every chance, over and over again to find our way home to Him.
In both cases we are asked, if WE, who are imperfect, can display such love for our children, how much more will God do for us?
Remember, there is more joy in heaven for one sinner who repents than for those who have never sinned in the first place.

• Winner
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The prodigal son is a story, told by Jesus to illustrate (in a way we can understand) the infinite and unconditional love that God has for us all.
It basically has the same message as the story of the lost sheep in that God gives us every chance, over and over again to find our way home to Him.
In both cases we are asked, if WE, who are imperfect, can display such love for our children, how much more will God do for us?
Remember, there is more joy in heaven for one sinner who repents than for those who have never sinned in the first place.

Good Day, Taz

God the father loves his children perfectly.
Jesus as the good Shepard, lays down his life for his sheep.

If there were people who did not sin (not possible)... But "IF" they would have no need of Mercy, Grace and Repentance... god would be meaningless and useless to them.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Their not being sons by definition means God the Father does not love them like "in the same way as" a son.

As Jesus died for the lost he loves therm all alike. We cannot say Jesus didn't die for that sinner, but he did die for that one.
No I'm not talking universalism.

Upvote 0

Taz Blue

Nov 27, 2018
Brierley Hill
✟8,358.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Bill,
My comments, although paraphrased, were a reference to Luke 15.7 which appears just after the lost sheep and just before the prodigal son...
"I tell you, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over nine and ninety virtuous men who have no need of repentance"

It is not for me to argue with Jesus about the possibility of others being sinless or not but, I think that God would be relevant to everyone - whether they were sinners or not.
Surely, to consider yourself sinless is, of itself being guilty of the sin of pride.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m wondering if the prodigal son is also for Christians who fall into a lifestyle of sin but come back to repentance? Some people say it’s just about sinners who were never saved coming to Jesus. The prodigal son was with the father, then he left to enjoy sexual sin until he came to the end of himself basically. He then came back and His father rushed to him and restored his place. He said “my son was dead, and is alive again.” The “again” would imply that he was once alive. Not sure if every translation has the word “again”
You are on point. The AGAIN in vs.24 & 32 indicate that a person who is saved and made alive in Christ (1st time) can become "lost" and "dead" through habitual sin as demonstrated by the prodigal. If that person then turns from sin and seeks the Father's forgiveness like the prodigal, he is no longer lost but found and made spiritually alive AGAIN. Thus Jesus in telling this parable repeats twice in this passage that a child of God can be spiritually dead and lose his salvation. It is impossible for an unsaved person to be made alive again since that person was never made alive in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟699,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I did a thread on the parable speaking from a different angle not very long ago. What's important to note?

The Pharisees were being accusatory of Jesus' time and interactivity with 'sinners'. So these parables (all three told in that sitting) was more a mission statement of the Messiah coupled with/or ending with showing the Pharisees a picture of themselves too.

The three parables all in a row in the same sitting are in Luke 15:2-32: the first of a lost sheep, then a lost coin, then a lost son.

So, the lost son (or the prodigal son), is the finale of the trio. This, like the lost sheep is representative of the lost of Israel.

But, as it is of a son who asks for his portion of his inheritance before his father dies and then squanders it, the parable is speaking of the sinners Jesus was eating with.

They were Israel, but not religious in background; they were tax collectors, prostitutes, drinkers, partiers, the average Joe's of Israel..

Jesus was explaining to the Pharisees His relationship to those sinners and why he ate with them and didn't shun them as did the Pharisees, (He was celebrating their return to faith) with the elder brother of the story representing the Pharisees themselves.

There are, in every age, prodigal children. In the new covenant era they are likely those who were raised in the church by believing parents but ended up turning their back on the faith in young adulthood, who later straightened up and came back into the fold.

The elder brother exists in every age as well, and is likely those pew warmers who never left the church, but didn't ever get the spirit of it.. they missed the point, in other words.

That is how I see it, anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with your understanding. My translation does not say "again" but applies the same meaning: "...your brother was dead and came to life, and was lost and was found." "Dead," in this application, means a spiritual condition. He was once alive in this sense, became dead, and subsequently became alive once more (again).

Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Tolworth

In Him,

Bill

Consider Luke 15:4-7, 10, 24: 19:10

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider Luke 15:4-7, 10, 24: 19:10

Good Day, Mark

Not sure what these passages have to do with the adoption as sons?

I wrote:

"I am quite sure there is no scriptural warrant to say the love a father has for a son, is the same as a father would have for some one else son.

We are son by the adoption of God, therefore "un"adopted people are not son"

The Shepard loves "His" sheep and lays down his life for his sheep, not anybody sheep only his own sheep.

In Him

Bill

Upvote 0