Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's possible for realistic adventure to exciting without constant death. But yes in the real world people are vulnerable to death. Just need interesting stories with likeable characters having purposeful deaths and being introduced throughout. Admittedly I'm inexperienced with R.P.Gs, but this seems to help progress the story and personal growth of existing characters. Whats your experience with realistic adventure that makes the lack of death dull?

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's possible for realistic adventure to exciting without constant death. But yes in the real world people are vulnerable to death. Just need interesting stories with likeable characters having purposeful deaths and being introduced throughout. Admittedly I'm inexperienced with R.P.Gs, but this seems to help progress the story and personal growth of existing characters. Whats your experience with realistic adventure that makes the lack of death dull?

Purposeful deaths? Purposeful deaths are not realistic unless they are extremely rare. Most deaths are not purposeful.

The more common a purposeful death is, the less real the scenario.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if the death itself was a less than extraordinary, it does affect people that are left behind. Isn't it realistic for them to emotionally and mentally have a response or reaction, which is least meaningful if not purposeful? More so the growth of characters than the adventure itself, but with more developed characters you can understand wouldn't it add to the experience?

Upvote 0

jonrgrover

Mar 19, 2018
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
✟15,972.00
Country
American Samoa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is it about a game that God might like or honor? I have been thinking about this for some time.
God loves truth. The more realistic the game is the more true it is. There are other kinds of realism (truth) that can be included in games that do not rely on lots of characters being killed.

1) One very realistic thing that can be included in a game is creativity. Christ created the universe and we are to be like Christ. SO it makes sens for us each to be little creators. When we create stories, the creative act itself is real even though the story is not. When we create settings the creative act is real. When we create characters, plots, conflicts that drive plots, themes etc. the creative act in all of these situations is real.
2) When we glorify God in a game, that is a real act of worship. If the game exemplifies or elaborates upon principles in God's word, that glorifies God. Even if the story is fiction, the glorification is real.
3) Role playing games can stress puzzle solving, character interaction, investigation, discovery, player interaction, travel, beauty, and consequences can all be very realistic and yet not include death or even violence.
4) Better models of the human mind, body, soul, spirit, emotions, values and motivations increase realism in a game. Dungeons and Dragons and many of it successors have six stats. This model is nowhere near complex enough to really define a character. In addition, it stresses unrealistic things. If the stats are based on models of humanity that are much closer to reality, then this enhances the 'realness' of a game.
5) Learning things that are true is a form of realism. Games based on real events of the Bible or other historical events can enhance the reality of the game. When real people are included in the game, especially if they are good depictions, this makes the game closer to reality. The players can learn something about these people and the times they lived in. The learning is real.

I am working on a tabletop role playing game that attempts all of these things. I am open to suggestions about even more things of truth to include in the game.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Character death is always a hot topic. Letting the dice fall where they may is fine if players know that. I recently started Curse of Strahd and made it very clear that there would be no plot armour.

But I’m also running a Zeitgeist setting with new players so I’m fudging the dice a bit to keep their guys alive.

Upvote 0