• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The Problem with Christian Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Pavel Mosko, May 30, 2020.

1. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,380
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I started watching this You-tuber yesterday. He is a Christian and covers various topics on media. Yesterday I just stumbled on a video series on "What is wrong with Christian movies", and today I stumbled on this video.

I've only watched part of it, but so far he is talking about the fear of taking risks many pieces of art including contemporary ones took risks to carve out new niches and explore new territory. He uses the Queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody as an example that was somewhat controversial etc. And how Christian artists tend to stick to safe formulas that are designed to appeal to their fan base to make the easy bucks.

My perspective is somewhat similar but a little different. I attended a Southern Baptist parochial school from the 1978 to 1985. By the early 80s I was introduced to Christian rock and pop music. By and large the music seemed like a second rate imitation of various secular bands. It seemed to me at the time, that this was a kind of a safe niche ; since, parents often didn't enforce the rock band on overtly Christian bands they had a kind of captive audience. It kind of reminded of the Low fat craze that was sweeping the nation at the time, but in this case you sacrificed musical talent rather than flavor, and rather than having less calories got something that was overtly Christian to the point of blatant pandering.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. GaveMeJoy

GaveMeJoy Well-Known Member

+645
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    That might have been true in the past but with technology advances, Christian music has come Light years since the 80’s and 90’s.
    my favorite rapper is Christian, NF. Switch foot and POD are excellent Christian bands. Justin Bieber is a Christian too :)

3. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+9,947
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Here is a popular YouTuber, bassist and music educator Adam Neely, talking about his experience of trying to learn to not hate Contemporary Christian Music. I find his honest reflections on it to be very interesting.

4. Pavel Mosko

+1,380
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I have been exposed to it every once in a while, and still have about the same opinion.

There are a number of artists I like that are/have Christian but making music in the secular mainstream: like Styx and (old) Kansas, 21 Pilots and U2. And then there are a few artists that crossed over from the Christian niche like Creed and Amy Grant.

5. Hammster

Hammster Showin’ how funky and strong is your fight Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+18,980
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    My problem with a lot of Christian music isn’t the music. It’s the watered-down, sometimes nonexistent gospel.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+3,214
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Familiar with Phil Keaggy?

7. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,038
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    He does eventually find the point that Christian record labels want to capitalize on trends. Secular labels do this too. If a band has success, then both Christian and secular labels will scramble to put out a band that sounds similar. That's record labels acting like record labels. And like secular pop, Christian pop is going to be some of the least creative music that the church has to offer, but you're supposed to listen to it because it's Christian.

Christian music really had a lot of baggage when I was growing up, it was always assumed to be second-tier. Then bands that were legitimately good came up - P.O.D. wasn't the first, but they became popular and secular labels were all of a sudden interested in a number of other Christian bands they had toured with. Other bands followed them. I really believe that progress had been made there.

That isn't to say that I don't enjoy some of the stuff that haters call cheesy for what it is, too. Sometimes, people just crave Taco Bell. This is my musical equivalent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,038
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    We need more bands like NIV.

"But did you forget
    the terms in which we met?
    Are you done with your life debt?
    Are you bleeding yet?
    Just take a look at where you're at,
    and as you pat yourself upon the back,
    remember Mine took the pain."

9. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+3,697
    Christian
    It could certainly do with getting a bit more experimental - the music needs to tap into a new emotion to get the listener really thinking. Perhaps the book of Job written in a similar way to Nowhere Man, with a psychedelic bassline, and a sitar lead.

A lot of Christian music is high frequency and very intense - it's actually quite fatiguing. You want a nice low frequency, to just grove the listener into a hypnotic state, so that they're primed and ready to listen to the lyrics.

The only problem is you'd need a complete genius to pull it off. Cat Stevens could probably do it, if he wasn't Muslim. George Harrison if he was still alive and not Hindu. Justin Bieber - lol, not a chance.

10. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+1,435
    Non-Denom
    Let me tell you a little story. Happened to me way back in oh....77. Had just got saved a few months prior but felt tempted to go back and watch in concert one of the biggest name groups in the world, playing at a large football stadium some miles away. I mean I loved this group and always had. As they came in on stage and played the first note God pulled back the curtain and let me just say he let me experience what was really going on in the spirit realm in that place. I won't get into trying to describe it for I don't think I can but I jumped out of my seat and shaking like a leaf tried to get to the nearest isle.

I finally got to the stairs and navigated myself up them , out into the outer halls, and left the stadium. I waited by the van that my friends had owned and we ended up sleeping in the parking lot for reasons I can't quite remember. My friends asked me where did I go what happened to me that I felt the needed to leave. I couldn't even attempt to try to explain it to them...what I experienced scared me immensely.

The next morning they dropped me off home...I went up to my room beat tired for I never slept a wink....I fell to my knees within seconds of my walking in the room....and I asked God...."What in the world happened to me there! What is it Lord that you're trying to say?" I just flipped open the Bible which was laid in front of me and my eyes immediately went down to this verse in Isaiah 11:12

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands."

Well that pretty much summed it up. We had left for this other city early in the morning and all my friends were partying, drinking, drugs and the whole bit....not me though....I was a Christian but surrounded with everyone doing this.....and yes it started in the morning and to late into the night....yes Lord just like your word has said......the harp, viol, tabret the pipes...ah yeah it sure was party time for about the 50K that were there....But they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.....Well Yes Lord that's right.....didn't see any of the great masses there lifting up their hands in praise to the Most High God! So God opened it up and let me experience the spirit realm of things that was really taking place in those moments .....and as I say I was stunned and fled the stadium. From that point on the only concerts I had attended were of a Christian type.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. MyLifeForChrist

MyLifeForChrist Member

+53
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Amen. Then the (cough) 'felt needs' sermon starts versus fire, brimstone and/or everything else that few anymore want to hear for obviously good reason.

12. ChristianGirl_96

ChristianGirl_96 Well-Known Member Angels Team Supporter

+1,081
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    How do you listen to Unashamed?

13. Richard T

Richard T Well-Known Member

+564
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I am Carl. As I got committed to the Lord, I traded away my Pink Floyd and my first Christian albums were Phil Keaggy and Farrell and Farrell. Paul Clark is probably the best. Too bad most Christian music has gone down hill.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  14. Pavel Mosko

+1,380
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Yes, I love the video so far I will have to watch the whole thing later.

For me its pretty much Ancient Church Chant, or Alternative Rock. On the spiritual end of things you can't beat the Chant, but the other is for staying awake on the road, and cleaning your house when your lazy.

15. Pavel Mosko

+1,380
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Well I finished the video and really loved his authentic reactions and analysis, he's really a great video blogger I could watch a lot more of his stuff. It looks like he is on Patreon.

16. MyLifeForChrist

MyLifeForChrist Member

+53
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    We listen to it free on YouTube. I believe that the channel is simply called "Phil Robertson". Interesting topic this week and likely next will be the introduction of Phil's illegitimate 45 year old daughter with Kay Robertson sitting beside her on the podcast.
    I got 'reported on' (again, not the moderator's fault) for putting the link that you are looking for in my signature, so.... ;)

17. Pavel Mosko

+1,380
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    lol yeah the spam patrol can be pretty vigilant! :)

18. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+5,832
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Interestingly enough, though I play several instruments, was in a band my friend and I started for several years, and love a variety of music genres, I find that common songs on most radio stations are exactly that uninteresting imitation of creative music being point out here. :)

For all the other radio stations just as much as for Christian music stations...

So....musically creative songs -- they are uncommon in most every radio station except perhaps certain stations that play a lot of 'classics' such as classic rock, etc., where the songs are all top songs from decades of time. In reality Christian music also has some great performers (U2 is only one of many), and interesting voices/singers like Lauren Daigle. But still, though there is some real talented stuff, the best songs now, for me today, are when the words are the best, and that's a higher standard in a way, that only some popular music gets up to , but U2 is a great example.

19. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+808
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I haven't really followed the christian music of more recent years, so there is probably a lot of new groups that I have never heard off. I don't really have any criticism of the groups I heard growing up - which included 2nd Chapter of Acts, Petra, Caanan, Phil Keaggy, MWS, Amy Grant - I felt the musicianship was up to the standard of secular groups, a possibly surpassed them occasionally. There was a lot of good quality music in the 70s and 80s.

20. Hammster

Hammster Showin’ how funky and strong is your fight Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+18,980
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Keaggy is still making good music.