Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I read that the Pope wants to change the Lord’s Prayer. Jesus told us to pray: “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,” but the Pope, according to the article, thinks this makes God look bad. Was Jesus wrong and the Pope right? No, Jesus wasn’t wrong and the Pope isn’t right, if this is what he wants to do.

I read the link you posted in your follow-up post. The Pope makes sense, because God doesn't lead people into temptation. "Do not let us fall into temptation" is more appropriate.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
using Strong's Concordance, Matthew 6:13 and James 1:13 do use almost the same Greek word meaning trial / test...

and carry us not into trial...

let sayeth no man that is tried, I am tried from God, for God is not tried with wickedness, but tries himself no one

Think that the former, from the Lord's Prayer, petitions God not to direct believers, by the Holy Spirit, into dangerous situations risking trial...

the latter from the epistle of James states that trials, if they do ever occur, never come from God...

God could hypothetically direct believers into harm's way, but all of the actual harm from all of the actual flak would come from elsewhere... "no friendly fire" so to speak, even if some "marching orders" are high risk

Upvote 0