California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think it's more race and gang related.

Yeah, the gangs take care of the drugs that the cops get to them. Race comes in when a debt is not paid, then, if it can't be handled within the individual's "car" (area he's from), it will be handled when the selling race will go after the individual and it will be met by his people.

It's not all racial division, there is some bleeding in as some people grew up in neighborhoods where the dominate race (I like to say people group) is not their own.

* You're more likely to be killed by your own race since it will be handled at that level rather than kick off a big ole riot...they're bad for business.

Upvote 0

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The count is more important.
No it's not. When the population number is different you use percentage to compare. Borrowing this explanation from another thread: In one city there lives 1,000 people. In another there lives 100. In the first city 500 live in poverty but in the second city 100 people live in poverty. Which city has the higher poverty rate? It's not hard to figure out that the city with 100% poverty rate is more poor. That's statistics 101.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No it's not. When the population number is different you use percentage to compare. Borrowing this explanation from another thread: In one city there lives 1,000 people. In another there lives 100. In the first city 500 live in poverty but in the second city 100 people live in poverty. Which city has the higher poverty rate? It's not hard to figure out that the city with 100% poverty rate is more poor. That's statistics 101.

You still have 600 people in poverty to help. Those not in poverty are irrelevant to all but the bean counters.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The count is more important.

It depends on what you are using the figures for. Knowing the absolute size of a population (the 'count') is always necessary but it will not give you the means to make an informed comparison between different populations. This is the reason you'll see people talking about crime 'rates' or infection 'rates' or 'deaths per million' as opposed to specific numbers of crimes or infections or deaths..

The process is called 'normalisation' and it's frequently used to compare social factors between different groups.

OB

• Useful
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It depends on what you are using the figures for. Knowing the absolute size of a population (the 'count') is always necessary but it will not give you the means to make an informed comparison between different populations. This is the reason you'll see people talking about crime 'rates' or infection 'rates' or 'deaths per million' as opposed to specific numbers of crimes or infections or deaths..

The process is called 'normalisation' and it's frequently used to compare social factors between different groups.

OB

I have problems with statistics.

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Upvote 0

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You still have 600 people in poverty to help. Those not in poverty are irrelevant to all but the bean counters.
That wasn't my point. Obviously poverty needs to be dealt with in all communities, but minority communities are systematically kept in poverty, through racist practices like redlining. That is what I meant by concentrated poverty.

• Useful
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That wasn't my point. Obviously poverty needs to be dealt with in all communities, but minority communities are systematically kept in poverty, through racist practices like redlining. That is what I meant by concentrated poverty.

We've whipped that poor horse to death.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

@Sparagmos

@agapelove

I just wanted to say thank you for letting me know about the '13th' documentary.

I found it on Netflix last night and watched the whole thing.

It was an eye opener. To learn that, of all places, slavery still exists in the US, based on a literal reading of the 13th amendment was a shock. Even more of a shock was the lengths that the political and commercial establishment has gone to to create criminal traps for African Americans, particularly in the period following the Civil War.

I’ve gone on from the documentary to reading whatever I can find on the Net.

Thanks again.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree, but where do we start?

It has begun as the Spirit of Yah is moving upon the face of chaos throughout the world! We, as believers, need to continue to pray and unite around Who He Calls Us and cast off the divisive and intrusive labels of this world system.

ARISE O YISRAEL and look up, for Our redemption is near!

Upvote 0

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Sparagmos

@agapelove

I just wanted to say thank you for letting me know about the '13th' documentary.

It was an eye opener. To learn that, of all places, slavery still exists in the US, based on a literal reading of the 13th amendment was a shock. Even more of a shock was the lengths that the political and commercial establishment has gone to to create criminal traps for African Americans, particularly in the period following the Civil War.

Thanks again.

OB

You're welcome! Indeed it's shocking. The first step towards change is to be educated about it yourself, so thank you for taking the time to do that!

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has begun as the Spirit of Yah is moving upon the face of chaos throughout the world! We, as believers, need to continue to pray and unite around Who He Calls Us and cast off the divisive and intrusive labels of this world system.

ARISE O YISRAEL and look up, for Our redemption is near!

I agree 100 percent. I have "come out of her", but still like to argue my opinions. ;)

• Informative
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I have problems with statistics.

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

That line is the usual goto for the numerically illiterate.

Percentages and proportions really aren't that difficult.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Sparagmos

@agapelove

Thanks again.

OB
Awesome, I’m glad I mentioned it and glad you watched it. I thought I knew about the history of racism in my country, but I learned so much from “the 13th.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I guess that I should have left in this graph ...

Violent_crime_rates_by_gender_1973-2003.png

The total incarceration numbers rose continuously from at least 1980 to 2008 (and then slowly declined afterward. This covers the whole declining violent crime rate period in this plot.

U.S. incarceration rate is at its lowest in 20 years

Upvote 0