Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
that relevant? The journey is more important than the destination.
The distinction is whether or not the cycle (history) is considered the proper way of things or a symptom of human defect.

What makes you think a redeemer is required in order to achieve redemption? Can you demonstrate a redeemer is always a pre-requisite?
When it comes to the human soul I do. To just know a soul is defective requires one without defects.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The distinction is whether or not the cycle (history) is considered the proper way of things or a symptom of human defect.

When it comes to the human soul I do. To just know a soul is defective requires one without defects.
Sorry. You can't comment about what attributes something has if you can't show that thing even exists.

Let me know when I can examine a soul and measure it. Until then the phrase "when it comes to the human soul" is meaningless.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So you arrived at your conclusion based upon an opinion that is derived from a belief that is contingent upon faith. You can imagine why that doesn't work for some people.

I am not without defects, yet I can recognise defects in myself and others. That also seems to counter your assertion.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
So you guys keep saying, and I keep saying then all unproven scientific presupposition is special pleading. You see a line of logic that goes unanswered, propose a hypothesis, and see if it works.
'unproven scientific presupposition' (hypothesising) isn't special pleading.

The point is that your claim that 'first cause' is the only reasonable explanation because all the others are, in your opinion, illogical, is itself illogical because 'first cause' is illogical.

When trying to make logical arguments, consistency and logic are important.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
To just know a soul is defective requires one without defects.
How does a soul become defective?

If it takes a soul without defects to know that a soul is defective, how can anyone be sure any other soul is defective when, if theirs was defective, they wouldn't know it?

It may therefore be possible that all souls are defective, or conversely, none, and no one can tell.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I refer to Darwinian Evolution as opposed to the simple obvious fact that things change.
So how do you explain this change? What biology can you put forth that does not rely on any of your inflammatory and unsupported aspersions?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you guys keep saying, and I keep saying then all unproven scientific presupposition is special pleading. You see a line of logic that goes unanswered, propose a hypothesis, and see if it works.

Please explain then how, exactly:

The universe exists and is amenable to being investigated

is special pleading.

But seeing as how you still cannot provide any example of your other inflammatory accusations, I doubt you can deal with this, either.

I can wait.

• Winner
Reactions: Phred
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,673.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
A few days ago someone said something like, "All I have to do is find one thing wrong in the Bible and it is enough."

This is as absurd as saying that if I can show that A Midsummer Night's Dream and Troilus and Cressida are fiction, I no longer have to believe that Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Cleopatra, and King Henry V were real people. Would any sane person imagine that the fact that Elijah wasn't carried up to heaven in a fiery chariot (2 Kings 2:11) is enough to disprove Christianity?

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suppose some serendipitous events unfolded that corralled a crowd to a specific place. At that place a miracle takes place. Someone missing a leg grows another one. Maybe an image with physics defying properties. Something that would serve as 'proof' that God exists.
As the miracle was happening, proof that God exists was certain. Powerful certainty. Still, the evidence is a matter of faith since the miraculous event is a memory. The miraculous event recedes into the past, requiring more and more faith to believe. The miraculous matter it left here is explained away as a nuisance to be ignored.

What kind of proof is required to know God exists?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does a soul become defective?
I've never seen a perfect person become imperfect nor have I seen a perfect person. I would not recognize it if I did. Evidently then all souls must be defective. It follows that a parent of us all must have become defective. Perfect human life known only by that parent and only something remembered.

it takes a soul without defects to know that a soul is defective, how can anyone be sure any other soul is defective when, if theirs was defective, they wouldn't know it?
I think very few people would claim to be perfect. What is a mystery is what a perfect person would be like. Would they even know it?

may therefore be possible that all souls are defective, or conversely, none, and no one can tell.
I think going the defective route is most reasonable.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Suppose some serendipitous events unfolded that corralled a crowd to a specific place. At that place a miracle takes place. Someone missing a leg grows another one.
What is your justification for thinking that must be an act of God?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you arrived at your conclusion based upon an opinion that is derived from a belief that is contingent upon faith. You can imagine why that doesn't work for some people.

Is there such a thing as belief that is not contingent on faith? I don't have to imagine that some people don't know what makes them tick.

am not without defects, yet I can recognise defects in myself and others. That also seems to counter your assertion
Being cognizant of defects requires awareness of some sort, of perfection. My assertion must have been misunderstood.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your justification for thinking that must be an act of God?
Miraculous = Supernatural = Outside or above nature = Utterly unexplainable.

If you don't have a more reasonable 'cause' for that sort of thing God is not an unreasonable explanation.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Is there such a thing as belief that is not contingent on faith? I don't have to imagine that some people don't know what makes them tick.
You are probably correct. That is why I abandoned belief in anything decades ago. Faith strikes me as the most bizarre aberration of human thought and something to be rigorously avoided. I argue that a pragmatic acceptance of the most likely explanations for "things" is a more realistic and useful approach.

Being cognizant of defects requires awareness of some sort, of perfection. My assertion must have been misunderstood.
And your attempt to clarify here has, regretably, failed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are probably correct. That is why I abandoned belief in anything decades ago. Faith strikes me as the most bizarre aberration of human thought and something to be rigorously avoided. I argue that a pragmatic acceptance of the most likely explanations for "things" is a more realistic and useful approach.

And your attempt to clarify here has, regretably, failed.
To fix something one must have some sort of awareness of it unbroken. You can't avoid faith. Any good scientist will tell you that. I'm very certain the sun exists at night when I can't see it, but I have to take it on faith I will see it again.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

If you don't have a more reasonable 'cause' for that sort of thing God is not an unreasonable explanation.
I think it entirely plausible that an advanced alien race would be capable of such an action. Since an advanced alien race would be entirely natural it would be a more parsimonious explanation than a deity.

What kind of proof is required to know God exists?
I've no idea. It would only become an issue for me if there was significant evidence supporting the plausibility of God. I am confident that the Christian God does not exist, since the support for his existence is profoundly weak and leaves the believer relying on faith - I've summarised my attitude to faith in my previous post.

To fix something one must have some sort of awareness of it unbroken
Yes, but earlier you said this.
To just know a soul is defective requires one without defects.
That statement makes it clear that defects can only be known to one with perfection. Are you now withdrawing this statement?

You can't avoid faith. Any good scientist will tell you that. I'm very certain the sun exists at night when I can't see it, but I have to take it on faith I will see it again.
Nonsense. I expect to see the sun again, because experience has suggested this is very likely to happen. The scientific knowledge of the solar system explains why that is likely to happen. But an unrecognised stellar phenomenon could cause the sun to "go out", or the Earth could suddenly implode for reasons well beyond out current understanding, or I could wake up to find all this had been a simulation I had been playing in for decades and the universe and body I inhabited were quite different. I don't rule out anything much.

However, on a day to day basis I take the practical route that what seems to be reality is reality. That bank overdraft is real. The lawnmower does need to be repaired. The only importance Faith has for me is as the name of one of the Gloster Gladiator biplanes that defended Malta from the Regia Aeronautica in WWII.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

If miracles are utterly unexplainable then how can they be explained via God?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
I've never seen a perfect person become imperfect nor have I seen a perfect person. I would not recognize it if I did.
So what does it mean to be a 'perfect' person, particularly if the likelihood is that there is no such thing and no-one would recognise it unless they were themselves perfect? How is it a useful concept?

You've also moved from talking of souls to talking of persons. Does this indicate that you feel a person is a soul? i.e. are you using the word to mean person rather than referring to a supernatural 'extra'?

Upvote 0