The Passion of the Christ

porcupine said:
Think Hollyweird will figure out we want more of this? Probably not.
It sounds like Mel will make enough money out of this one movie to allow him to ignore Hollywood and make his own type of movies. Hollywood never could have produced a movie like this, imo.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
Comparisons

Attachments

• Already Did.jpg
    Already Did.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
One problem I had with the Passion of the Christ was that Jesus, His Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene and most of the disciples didn't look Jewish enough… This would have solved the anti-Semitism question… This is a story about a Jew who created a Jewish sect within a Jewish culture while Jerusalem was under control by the Romans… If Mel Gibson wanted to be authentic and use Aramaic he could have done a bit more with the casting… Judas looked more Jewish than Jesus and I thought that was creepy… Of course all the Sadducees and Pharisees looked Jewish… It just didn't fit well with me when Jesus was being tried in the Sanhedrin and the camera panned back and forth between them it sort of seemed like a beat up California surfer dude standing in front of a group of angry Jewish men… All the Romans looked Roman… The Jews looked Jewish… But Jesus, Mary, Mary Magdalene and James didn't look like they were from the Middle East at all… I can see how some people may think it's anti-Semitic…

Another thing I never understand about movies depicting the crucifixion is that you always only see three crosses… Like these were the only people at the time that were being crucified? The Romans crucified thousands of people for all kinds of things… They had roads lined on either side with crosses… It was the get-tough-on-crime thugs punishing people for everything… The religious powers were also condemning people for the smallest thing like trimming your beard or eating shellfish… So you had two groups watching your every move… One step out of line and it was a rock to the head or the cross… No wonder there was a revolution…

And why is it that the other two being crucified with Jesus were nowhere near as bloody? Back in the day they would have been beaten just like Jesus… He wasn't the only person treated like that… And the crosses that the thief and the murderer were crucified on didn't look the same as the one that Jesus was crucified on… Why is that? It was just a form of capital punishment… They probably all looked the same…

Other than all the poetic license that Mel Gibson took with the Gospels I had no problem with the script… The one new thing I got out of watching this was that we need to stop punishing people… This culture needs to learn the message of Jesus and spread love and forgiveness… Think of all the people in prison right now being punished… If we would learn to love and forgive we wouldn't have any police or judges or prisons or lawyers or guns or crime… We would all love one another and never be afraid of death… We would live in light and truth… All our sins would be washed and there would be peace on earth… I for one am going to do my part… It's as simple as that… Look what Christ did… Just a little Jewish guy from Nazareth and a few fishermen changed the world… Of course there is still work to do… But it starts right here and right now… Love your neighbor… Love your enemies… Forgive seven times seventy seven… Turn the other cheek… Do good to those who persecute you… Give to those who ask and don't turn anyone away… Have faith you can move mountains… It's all right there and it's so simple even a child can understand…

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The Holy Scriptures are a gift to us from God! For 2,000 years they have served as a guide for meditation and Salvation. Are they now, somehow, incomplete or inadequate in their descriptions of Christ's suffering and death? Is the Word of God so lacking in imagination and detail to our modern minds, that great masses of the Faithful are now compelled to line up at theaters and pay tribute to see Mr. Gibson's horrifying visual depictions of Jesus' sacrifice?"

It is a fact that pictures speak louder than words. We have a tendancy not to realize the depths of Jesus' suffering when we read the factual account in Scripture. For me the film gave me a new appreciation of what our Lord went through. Yes, the Bible IS lacking in detail.

I believe we need to use any means at our disposal to reach the lost and inspire the Believer, especially in this electronic media age. The same truths that have been presented in the Bible for so long can now reach more people, more effectively, through the use of film and television. Just ask Campus Crusade For Christ how many have been brought to salvation through "The Jesus Film".

"The Passion" was not intended to be an evangelistic tool, and is not, unless Believers explain to any non-believers who attend the showing WHY Jesus had to suffer and die.
Many Believers who have seen it are praising it and encouraging non-believers to see it assuming the non-believer will be moved to salvation. But the WHY of Jesus' suffering is the part that Mel left out and Christians are filling it in mentally because they KNOW the WHOLE story.

Upvote 0

corbana

Dec 14, 2002
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I saw The Passion on Sunday night and I needed to pray and sort out all I saw before I said anything about it. I know many are being deeply impacted by seeing this film, which I praise God for, if it bears true, lasting fruit for His kingdom. Having said that,....

I prayed all last week whether it was God's will for me to see this film, or not. I was very convicted not to go. Unfortunately, I was swayed by the reaction and very persuasive recommendation of a dear brother in the LORD who'd seen it the night before and sat weeping in church. He strongly assured me that my concerns were unfounded. He was wrong. I'm so ashamed for not standing firm. I totally disobeyed God by going to this movie. I shouldn't have seen it. I'm imploring all of you to please stop telling everyone they MUST see this movie and instead, tell them to seek to know the LORD'S will for THEM and then support and respect their conviction, without judgement, whatever it may be. Maybe it is God's will for some to see this, but I have my doubts of that.

Despite my mistake, God is so very merciful. As the closing credits were on the screen, I just wept with shock and sorrow, but the LORD did a sweet and tender thing for me. He comforted me! All at once, He filled me with His precious, loving peace and very gently reminded me that He's alive, risen and victorious! What joy!!! He's seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Yeshua, Messiah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords! My Savior, my Bridegroom, my Kinsman Redeemer, my Beloved, my Shepherd, my Brother, my Friend, my God, my All in All! Hallelujah! :bow:

I could talk about the numerous obvious catholic elements of this movie, the unbiblical omissions and additions, the unbelievable traumatic violence, the very human weakness in attempting to create an image of divine and precious things, and why these things are troubling to me..... but I leave that to you, to search the net if you want, for what others could tell you better than I. I leave it to you, to pray for God's will for YOU.

For now, I just want to get on my face before the Lord in repentance and let Him reveal Himself and His glory to me through His word by His Spirit. He has said in Jeremiah 33:3 "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

All day, this scripture has been in my mind as I've prayed and thought about this film:

"Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this,
and be horribly afraid,
be ye very desolate, saith the LORD.
For my people have committed two evils;
they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters,
and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns,
that can hold no water." Jeremiah 2:12-13

Father, I'm so very, very sorry. Please forgive me. In Jesus name, Amen.

Upvote 0

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
corbana said:
I'm so ashamed for not standing firm. I totally disobeyed God by going to this movie. I shouldn't have seen it. I'm imploring all of you to please stop telling everyone they MUST see this movie and instead, tell them to seek to know the LORD'S will for THEM and then support and respect their conviction, without judgement, whatever it may be. Maybe it is God's will for some to see this, but I have my doubts of that.
corbana, I'm sorry you went in spite of your convictions. However, if you say "I doubt it is God's will for some to see this" you are judging those who go, even though you just pleaded with others to support and respect everyone's conviction whatever it may be. You need to be as non-judgmental of those who go as you'd like them to be of those who don't go.

Father, I'm so very, very sorry. Please forgive me. In Jesus name, Amen.
Of course God does forgive you for going. He knows that you mistakenly trusted the word of someone else that your concerns were unfounded. Hebrews tells us that Jesus is a merciful High Priest who sympathesizes with our weaknesses.

I don't think I'm going but I'm not going to say I doubt it's God's will for others to go. I truly believe it is their choice. I agree with you that no-one should put pressure on others to go. But I think it's fine for people who found it meaningful to recommend it to others. Unfortunately we sometimes blur the distinction between recommending something and putting pressure on others to do it. The first seems fine to me, but the second seems inappropriate - at least in this case.

Helen

Upvote 0

Hunter

Socratic gadfly
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
JErasmus444 said:
One problem I had with the Passion of the Christ was that Jesus, His Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene and most of the disciples didn't look Jewish enough… This would have solved the anti-Semitism question…

Mary was played by a Jewish actress. Perhaps she didn't adhere closely enough to your idea of what a Jew should look like.

Hunter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
JErasmus444 said:
One problem I had with the Passion of the Christ was that Jesus, His Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene and most of the disciples didn't look Jewish enough… This would have solved the anti-Semitism question… This is a story about a Jew who created a Jewish sect within a Jewish culture while Jerusalem was under control by the Romans… If Mel Gibson wanted to be authentic and use Aramaic he could have done a bit more with the casting… Judas looked more Jewish than Jesus and I thought that was creepy… Of course all the Sadducees and Pharisees looked Jewish… It just didn't fit well with me when Jesus was being tried in the Sanhedrin and the camera panned back and forth between them it sort of seemed like a beat up California surfer dude standing in front of a group of angry Jewish men… All the Romans looked Roman… The Jews looked Jewish… But Jesus, Mary, Mary Magdalene and James didn't look like they were from the Middle East at all… I can see how some people may think it's anti-Semitic…

I think people who were looking for anti-Semitism, found it. It wouldn't have mattered if everyone "looked Jewish." BTW, it has long been a cliche that bigots say, "But you don't <i>look</i> Jewish!" This is because Jews are a mongrel (not in the insulting sense, but in the sense that they originated with a mix of a lot of different kinds of people) people in many ways. The Jewish "look" ranges from blondes with blue eyes (the so-called Galillean Jews), to very dark. Rememeber, Moses married a Black woman.

In point of fact, what we call "looking Jewish" is just a stereotype we have.

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
porcupine said:
I think people who were looking for anti-Semitism, found it. It wouldn't have mattered if everyone "looked Jewish." BTW, it has long been a cliche that bigots say, "But you don't <i>look</i> Jewish!" This is because Jews are a mongrel (not in the insulting sense, but in the sense that they originated with a mix of a lot of different kinds of people) people in many ways. The Jewish "look" ranges from blondes with blue eyes (the so-called Galillean Jews), to very dark. Rememeber, Moses married a Black woman.

In point of fact, what we call "looking Jewish" is just a stereotype we have.
It's like "looking" American.

Upvote 0

TheRickster

God Chaser!
Nov 20, 2003
South East Missouri
Visit site
✟2,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I took about 100 of my youth to see the movie sunday night, we took jr high and up, and we had them bring signed permission slips in order to go with our group.

So far for my group it has had an amazing impact on them. As my mind races over their many faces, like one girl who was raped by three her age and hasn't cried for several years since... wept like a baby... and has found a healing simply by seeing His love for us in that movie... "by His stripes we were healed". Some of the "hard cases" in my group... big ole tough boys with 10 times more attitude than brains, were weeping like small children after the movie...

This wed night will be our first service since... I will let you know if there is a difference in their worship... There is a song that we do in our worship service and it was on our last cd, written by two very good friends of mine... I kept singing it in my head all the way home from the movie and it was just alost all i could do to see to drive...

Diffused

Hold me down, I'm about to break,

There'll be pieces, fall around me,

I've given up, The past was my mistake,

From my heart, I'm sorry, so sorry,

I'm seeing the hands, And I'm seeing the feet,

And I'm seeing the blood, That you shed for me,

Here am I, here I am, here I am.

Hold me down, I'm about to break,

There'll be pieces, fall around me,

I was lifted up, through Your pain and suffering,

From the cross, You loved me, You loved me.

And I'm seeing the hands, And I'm seeing the feet,

And I'm seeing the blood, That you shed for me,

Here am I, here I am, here I am.

If I don’t change, I don’t change I won’t break,

Hold me down, I’m about to break,

From the cross, You saved me, You save me.
(copy rights aply)
(sound file) http://www.sonicgarden.com/sonic-web/popups/playtrack.cfm?artistid=17888&mediaid=57391

I think the biggest thing that I came out of that movie with... was not feeling that it was too graphic, I think he gives us relief from that right at the right times during the movie, but that He knew how much He was going to suffer before hand, even the devil told Him in the garden it was too much for one man to bear, but that He would still go through it all... looking past the cross... to see us in all our sin.. and to still measure us worthy of His love, blood, and sufferings...

My Lord, my God, my King and my Redeemer... how awesome is Your love, Your mercy, and your passion...

If I can, I will figure out how to put the sound file for this song... we are not selling it or anything... just wanted to share it with you. :)

Love ya More
Rick

Upvote 0

corbana

Dec 14, 2002
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Helen, thank you so much for your kind words. I also appreciate what you said:

However, if you say "I doubt it is God's will for some to see this" you are judging those who go, even though you just pleaded with others to support and respect everyone's conviction whatever it may be. You need to be as non-judgmental of those who go as you'd like them to be of those who don't go.
You're right, that did come off hypocritical. Sorry. Please forgive me all. :(

What I should have said instead is: "Maybe it is God's will for some to see this, for others it may not be. I have my own personal doubts about this movie, another may not have any problem, but who are we to decide for another what the Lord's will is for them? Either way, let us pray for and love one another as Jesus commanded us."

The Lord bless you and keep you,
Corbana

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi corbana,

Thanks for not being mad at me for what I wrote.

I feel sorry for anyone who is pressured into going and then wishes they hadn't, I really do.

Most Christians I have heard from who went said it was hard to watch but they are glad they did go see it.

However, that doesn't mean all Christians should or need to see it. My pastor - who has seen it himself - has been careful to say to us "Go if you want to; don't go if you don't want to".

Helen

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
I asked my pastor (80 years old) if he was planning to see it.

He said probably not. He doesn't go to see movies.

And he has meditated upon our Lord's Passion for MANY years.

When I saw the film, I was shaking my head in acknowledgement, because I saw on the screen The Stations of The Cross and the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary.

This film may be some Christians ONLY time to experience the Stations and the Sorrowful Mysteries.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are confusing "Jew" with "Hebrew". Judiasm is a religion. We usually call those involved in it "Jews". They have no particular look. While many may be olive skinned "Hebrews" there are also blonde, blue eyed "Jews". "Hebrew" is a race, usually the race that is mislabeled as "Jew". There are Hebrew Christians as well.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
revrobor said:
You are confusing "Jew" with "Hebrew". Judiasm is a religion. We usually call those involved in it "Jews". They have no particular look. While many may be olive skinned "Hebrews" there are also blonde, blue eyed "Jews". "Hebrew" is a race, usually the race that is mislabeled as "Jew". There are Hebrew Christians as well.

Assumng you are correct, the Hebrews spread across the spectrum too.

Upvote 0