The Passion of the Christ

jive

Feb 20, 2004
asheville, north caroliner
✟298.00
Faith
Christian
i dont know if this has already been posted somewhere else or not but i was watching the making of Passion and the guy who played Jesus was saying how about six moths before he was asked to play Jesus some guy came up to him and told him he would be playing Jesus in something. Mel Gibson had called him and was aking him if was sure he wanted the part and he said "we all have our crosses to carry" and then he said "u have ur job to do. and i have mine to do"
talking about carryiing their crosses and spreading the gospel. and before they got off the phone Jim (jesus) told Mel it was funny cause his initials are J.C. and he is 33 yrs old too. thought that was a pretty kool thing to share. later

Upvote 0
There are clearly some non-Christians in this forum!! But to the God-Fearing among us, I have some serious questions to present regarding Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ." I fervently pray that everyone prayerfully consider the following thoughts before attending this movie:

The Holy Scriptures are a gift to us from God! For 2,000 years they have served as a guide for meditation and Salvation. Are they now, somehow, incomplete or inadequate in their descriptions of Christ's suffering and death? Is the Word of God so lacking in imagination and detail to our modern minds, that great masses of the Faithful are now compelled to line up at theaters and pay tribute to see Mr. Gibson's horrifying visual depictions of Jesus' sacrifice?

What is to be gained from watching the sickeningly graphic portrayals of the torture
Jesus endured for us, other than nightmares for countless weeks? Or have we, too, fallen prey to the depraved contemporarty lust for ever more graphic depictions of
brutality, blood and violence?

To our Christian Parents in particular, who may be planning to view this movie with their children: PLEASE, I IMPLORE YOU to see the picture for yourselves before you
take your precious ones! Ask yourself how you would have reacted to such a movie
when you were your child's age. Then prayerfully consider, "What would Jesus do?"

Upvote 0

corbana

Dec 14, 2002
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Scriptures are a gift to us from God! For 2,000 years they have served as a guide for meditation and Salvation. Are they now, somehow, incomplete or inadequate in their descriptions of Christ's suffering and death? Is the Word of God so lacking in imagination and detail to our modern minds, that great masses of the Faithful are now compelled to line up at theaters and pay tribute to see Mr. Gibson's horrifying visual depictions of Jesus' sacrifice?
I WAS going to go see The Passion on Friday, yet I wasn't totally sure I should. Part of me wants to.....yet. I've been asking the Lord to show me HIS will for me. I love what you've said loveispeace, it really struck a deep cord with me. The Gospels, Isaiah 53, Psalm 22 and many other scriptures tell us how much He suffered and they tell us all He wants us to know. I'm not completely convinced that He wants us to see it for ourselves, isn't that what faith is all about?

Another concern I have is that across the board MOST christians (of all denominations) are embracing this movie even though it's based on the bible account, yes, but also on the visions of a nun! You can read the book Mel Gibson used online here:
http://www.emmerich1.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm
She was an Augustian nun who the book says was a "Mystic, Stigmatist, Visionary, and Prophet". Helloo?! I have red flags going up.

I'm not sure yet, maybe I'll just stay home and have a family night.

P.S.
I totally agree with the others who've said not to bring the kiddies! Mel Gibson has said as much and he should know.

Upvote 0

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
corbana said:
Another concern I have is that across the board MOST christians (of all denominations) are embracing this movie even though it's based on the bible account, yes, but also on the visions of a nun! You can read the book Mel Gibson used online here:
http://www.emmerich1.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm
She was an Augustian nun who the book says was a "Mystic, Stigmatist, Visionary, and Prophet". Helloo?! I have red flags going up.
Christianity Today has a helpful article that I would suggest you read:

The Passion of Mel Gibson
Why evangelicals are cheering a movie with profoundly Catholic sensibilities.

I found it helpful and after I read it I was less concerned about Mel Gibson using that book as well as the Bible. I've seen nothing that indicates Mel was trying to claim that the nun's book is on a level with the Bible. I think he simply decided that some of the things in it would depict Jesus' suffering and death very effectively in the movie. In the article I just linked to Mel says it's not a historical documentary. In view of that our question should be: do the details in the movie that aren't in the Bible uphold the Bible or undermine it? As best I've heard they uphold it. In which case I don't have a problem with him using some metaphor in there or drawing on what some others have written as well as the gospel accounts.

Helen

Upvote 0

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
loveispeace said:
There are clearly some non-Christians in this forum!! But to the God-Fearing among us, I have some serious questions to present regarding Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ." I fervently pray that everyone prayerfully consider the following thoughts before attending this movie:

Is the Bible lacking? No. But I don't believe it's a sin to go watch the movie if you want to.

What is to be gained from watching the sickeningly graphic portrayals of the torture Jesus endured for us, other than nightmares for countless weeks?
I haven't heard any believer say it gave them nightmares so I'm not sure how you can say this.

It only opens this week so I expect we'll hear from many more Christians in the next few days. But those who have been so far said it was a powerful reminder of what Jesus did for them. I would say it's good to be reminded of what Jesus did for us. No, we don't have to be reminded by seeing this movie; there are other ways. But I don't see that it's wrong to be reminded this way.

Or have we, too, fallen prey to the depraved contemporarty lust for ever more graphic depictions of brutality, blood and violence?
I don't know how you can say this if you've read any reviews by Christians who've seen it. No-one relishes the violence in the movie. They say it's disturbing, shocking, sickening. So they certainly don't have a 'lust for even more graphic depictions of brutality, blood and violence' despite what you wrote.

To our Christian Parents in particular, who may be planning to view this movie with their children: PLEASE, I IMPLORE YOU to see the picture for yourselves before you take your precious ones! Ask yourself how you would have reacted to such a movie when you were your child's age. Then prayerfully consider, "What would Jesus do?"
I agree with that. I think it would be too intense for pre-teens. I'm not sure about teenagers, but the rating indicates that all under 18s must be accompanied.

I'm thinking I won't go, because of the graphic violence. But I know many people who are going and I respect that as their choice. My pastor says "Go if you want to; don't go if you don't want to; it's not a 'moral' issue" and I agree.

Helen

Upvote 0
A

athbibleboy

new member and a roughly three year Christian.

I was fortunate enough to see an advanced screening last night (tuesday) with my church group. in all actuality, the movie itself was what inspired me to join a Christian newsgroup.

I feel it necessary to warn people who are excited about seeing this movie, that it is not pure entertainment. it is ruthlessly violent so i would not take the children. however it is very accurate and moving overall. i don't want to spoil anyone from seeing the movie, by any means.

in fact i came away totally silent but with more resolve as a Christian.

we learn in sunday school about the crucifixion, but seeing it so graphically depicted was disturbing to say the least. to see this beautiful man. my savior. god made flesh. being tortured so graphically, and the things he went through made me weep. i cried through the last twenty minutes of the movie because i realized that it was I who did that to Him

the scourgings and the beatings and the torture were to pay for our sins. my sins. your sins. a man who had only ever done things to help people being treated so brutally moved me so much and He did it for me. for you. for all of us who are unworthy.

in essence i definitely recommend the movie to any Christian but non believers may not necessarily be inspired by it. they might just consider it brutally violent.

me personally i pray that this movie will inspire Christians to think on their lives. if Jesus was willing to do this for me, i should be willing to deny the tempatation of sin for Him.

thank you and may God bless all of you.

Upvote 0
HelenM, Thanks for your great posts and links, both in this discussion and others.

athbibleboy, welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting your first hand review.
if Jesus was willing to do this for me, i should be willing to deny the tempatation of sin for Him.
This is the exact kind of response I'm expecting from myself. To those of us who have more knowledge, we will have more expected from us. On one level, that makes me more nervous. But, it's God who does the work, so I'm asking for his grace.

Upvote 0

TherapyDogLove

Christian Dog Lover
Feb 23, 2004
Maryland
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, I am very much looking forward to seeing The Passion of the Christ! I just know it will be such an awesome movie! This movie will change lives unlike any other movie in history! We are in a new era in the history of Christianity folks. There will be so many lost souls saved! This movie will be an awesome movement and an awesome testimony! God bless the makers of this film! God bless Mel Gibson for his time, money and effort into this movie! I plan to see this movie with my dear best friend and sister Rachel on Friday March 5th. Its so hard to wait!

Your sister in Christ
Janet

Upvote 0

corbana

Dec 14, 2002
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Helen, great article! But as a protestant I couldn't help but notice that Mel is said to prefer "the Tridentine Latin Mass and calls Mary co-redemptrix."
OK, I'm not touching the Mass issue on this thread, but a man who believes that Mary is co-redemptrix will surely weave that belief into his personal artistic expression, would he not? I'm concerned.

Here's an excellent page that addresses many concerns that all christians should ponder and pray about before they just follow the flocks to the theatres.
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/passion.htm#ABC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
calls Mary co-redemptrix
Is this what Mel believes? I don't think co-redemptrix was used in the Catholic FAQ from their forum, as the standing of the Church. Frequently Asked Questions About Catholicism
What is the definition of co-redemptrix? Does it mean she played a major part?
I've learned a lot about Catholicism, since the discussion about this movie have come about, and have been very impressed, by their doctrine.

Upvote 0

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
InnerPhyre said:
It it happened, and was a part of Jesus' life, it's worth knowing about in detail.
The argument could be made that every detail God wants us to know about Jesus' suffering and death is in the Bible already.

And this movie does take some artistic license, so don't assume every detail in it is in the Bible. It isn't.

However - if what you mean is "I want to see a realistic depiction of what Jesus went through for me to help me understand how much he suffered on my behalf", then, that could be an appropriate reason to go.

Helen

Upvote 0

HelenM

[affix label here]
Aug 29, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
corbana said:
Helen, great article! But as a protestant I couldn't help but notice that Mel is said to prefer "the Tridentine Latin Mass and calls Mary co-redemptrix."
OK, I'm not touching the Mass issue on this thread, but a man who believes that Mary is co-redemptrix will surely weave that belief into his personal artistic expression, would he not? I'm concerned.
Well, many Protestants have seen the movie and I haven't heard any of them complain that Mel's belief in Mary as co-redemptrix is depicted in the movie, so I don't think it's in there in any clear way. Certainly Mary is in the movie as Jesus' mother, but it's not as if Mel put her up there on a cross next to Jesus. Honoring Mary as Jesus' mother is entirely appropriate for Protestants and from what I've heard the movie doesn't seem to go further than that.

In general people should be aware that the meaning and purpose of Jesus' death is not something that a movie like this can clearly portray. We shouldn't expect people to understand the gospel just from watching the movie.

Here's an excellent page that addresses many concerns that all christians should ponder and pray about before they just follow the flocks to the theatres.
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/passion.htm#ABC
I browsed that article. The thing is, with God all things are possible. Who knows what God intends to do through this movie? We can complain about Mel Gibson's own specific beliefs but evidently they have not stopped this movie being a powerful, essentially true to the Bible, depiction of Jesus' suffering and death that God is using powerfully to remind Protestants what Jesus went through on their behalf. And while we might want to find fault with exactly how Mel made this movie, the fact is that he went beyond it being simply an idea - he carried through and made the movie. Now everyone knows he believes in Jesus. Talk about a bold witness...

I tend to be wary of sites which seem mostly about what is wrong with other Christians...that article seems to come from one of those. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. If I have all knowledge but have not love I am nothing. In the end I don't think criticizing other Christians is as effective in building Christians up as focusing on what we believe and how Jesus wants us to live.

Helen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chocolateisgood

I am here!
Jan 3, 2004
Arizona
✟167.00
Faith
Catholic
I saw the movie last night, as i said, and it was eye opening. Yes it is graphic, and yes it is violent, and no i wouldnt take young children to it. I agree with Mel that 13 or older is wise, and only if they're mature enough to go see it. I turned away at many of the scenes, especially at the scourging and the nailing to the cross. You can turn your head away and close your eyes, but the noise is still there and rather sickening. I love the way they portrayed evil/the devil. It was cool. I do suggest that everyone who can handle it go and see it, whether you are a christain or whatever, or not.

Upvote 0
I realize that you and many others are quite eager to view
"The Passion of the Christ." Some parents even plan to take their
children along for the experience. However, I feel very strongly
that every God-Fearing person should carefully consider the following
questions before attending this movie:

For 2,000 years the Holy Scriptures have served as a guide for
meditation and Salvation. Are they now, somehow, incomplete or
inadequate in their descriptions of Christ's suffering and death?

Is the Word of God suddenly so lacking in imagination and detail
to our modern minds, that we now feel compelled to line up at theaters
and "pay tribute" to see the Silver Screen's most gory, drawn-out,
and in-your-face depiction of The Saviour's sacrifice to date?

What is to be gained from watching hours of sickeningly graphic
portrayals of the torture Jesus endured for us, other than nightmares
for countless weeks? Or have we, too, fallen prey to the depraved
contemporarty lust for ever more graphic images of brutality, blood
and violence?

GOOD CHRISTIANS, PLEASE CONSIDER THESE WORDS!!!

And a special plea to parents, I implore you to first view this
movie for yourselves, BEFORE subjecting your Precious Ones
to it. Ask yourselves how you would have reacted to such a film
when you were your child's age. Then prayerfully consider,
"What would Jesus do?"

Upvote 0