Depends on the time of day...
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The answer is yes. Each side accuses the other of defecting.

Rome claims it upholds all seven councils, and yet unilaterally added a clause to the original text of the Creed. The Third and Fourth councils, in no uncertain terms, explicitly lay out that the Creed was not ever to be altered in the slightest. And Rome agrees that the councils are Holy Spirit guided...

Sooo, this is why I say it is farcical to defend a church on the basis that it doesn't claim (by word or letter) to replace the proper historical role of the Spirit or of Christ in its revelatory function.

What else are they going to say? "Oh, yeah...sorry. We usurped the keys to the Kingdom. Go to Italy. You'll find them concealed in a gold box inside a locked drawer of the Pope's desk at his personal residence in the Vatican....Third drawer from the top on the right"?

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
O.k., o.k.! I am by no means an expert and I am trying to grasp this so I'm gonna say......that I agree with the Orthodoxes. Because one of the things that led me to Orthodox study is the inconsistencies in RCC. Namely the Pope and his infalliabilty. While I understood why they believed this based on the scriptue about Peter and the "upon this rock...." quote, I just couldn't get passed the "get the behind me Satan!" one not too far after it. *shrugs* That may have nothinbg to do with this at all but it makes sense to me! LOL! Also, I kinda don't understand the claim of an unbroken line of Popes when the Orthodoxes have had no Popes before. :scratch: Anybody care to tackle that? Also I'm just now reading up on the filoque and........yeah! I don't understand it at all, other than the former councils saying that nothing should be added to the Creed, but the actual doctrinal dispute is byond me as of right now. But that's a whole other thread! Lol! O.K. Who's next?

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, "upon this rock", as the Orthodox understand it, is in direct reference to the confession of faith in Christ that Peter had made just prior to that verse. His profession of the Truth (Christ as the true, spiritual Rock) is the foundation of the whole Church.

Re: the Filioque. While the Trinity is one in essence and undivided, each of the three persons are uniquely distinct in their personhood. The Person of the Father always represents the unity of the Godhead in the Scriptures and in Tradition, not the Son or the Spirit. We believe that the Person of the Father is the eternal Cause or Source or Principle of the Son and the Spirit. This is why the Creed states that the Son was "begotten" (i.e., eternally generated) from the Father "before all worlds", and "one essence" with Him; and it is why the Creed further goes on to state that the Spirit proceeded from the Father alone, NOT from the Father "and the Son" (filioque), as per the Creed in the West.

St. John Damascene, ecapsulating the Eastern view, stated that the Spirit is both the "Spirit of the Father" and the "Spirit of the Son" (since all three are one in essence), but whereas we say that the Spirit is from the Father, we cannot say the same about the Son, otherwise we lose the personal distinction between the Father and the Son.

The effect of the Filioque is to teach that the Spirit proceeds from an essence divorced from pershonhood. In other words, the filioque essentially teaches that the Spirit proceeds from the essence of the Father/Son (which logically undermines the doctrine of the begottenness of the Son from the Father). In addition, it undermines the personal equality of the Spirit with the Son and the Father, implying that the Spirit is of a different essence.

I hope that wasn't entirely too academic. I still don't know quite how to explain this without getting a bit too abstract.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is your claim.
What they've effectively done is to replace Christ as the head of the Church.

Please substantiate it and show me where the Papacy claims to replace Christ rather than represent Christ on Earth. My guess is that much of it takes interpretation on your part to prove this theory. My point would be simply that a Catholic can hold true to every Catholic doctrine regarding the Pope and in the same breath state with all sincerity and forthrightness that Christ is the ultimate Head of the Church... the Capstone. As you said, actions speak louder than words... and I would add that actions can match words and of the MANY catechism beathing, pope-lovin' Catholics I know (acquaintances and friends alike) not one denies this reality (about Christ as Head) in action nor do they deny any doctrine at all regarding the contemporary innovations on the Roman understanding of the Papacy.

I am not supporting the Catholic doctrines on Papal infallability or Universal Jurisdiction. But these accusations do not hold up well in the light of honest and well-studied scholarship.

The OP article is very emotional and not very schlarly at all. I don't care if it was never meant to be... but to pretend that it offers much useful to any kind of honest dialogue between Orthodox and the Catholic Church is sad. This article is akin to a Michael Moore "documentary" or rally that are based on claims that sound good on surface but that have nothing really to them underneath and so only serves three purposes 1) to rile up the liberals 2) to further ostracize the right and give them fuel to sustain their unjustified suspicion that the left just lies and 3) it does convince those who just don't have the resources or know-how to check it out on their own. that's what this article is for the most part. I'm not saying there aren't any useful parts to it, but when so much is just pumped up with emotionalism and shakey concepts, I really don't want to learn from any of it.

I am no scholar, but after reading books, articles and talking to Catholics and orthodox and looking into the history and contexted quotes from Fathers in the past (pre-schism at that), I have realized that this debate over the papacy is not as black and white as we would like.

My fear is not only that we create obstacles to attack that aren't there... but that we lose sight of what really does separate us historically and nowdays on this matter making conversion of the West more impossible than before.

John

Reactions: nutroll
Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, "upon this rock", as the Orthodox understand it, is in direct reference to the confession of faith in Christ that Peter had made just prior to that verse. His profession of the Truth (Christ as the true, spiritual Rock) is the foundation of the whole Church.

that's true, but it also is not UNorthodox to beleive that this is also referring to Peter the Person. Eastern Church Fathers can be found both refuting and supporting this idea and NONE of them viewed the Pope of Rome as holding eternal and wide-sweeping (much less infallible) authority over the Church Universal. My point is that the various interpretations that have always existed regarding the Matthew verse are NOT the crux of the debate in any way. In fact, the fact that the Catholic Church now uses this verse to support their Papal claims is actually an innovation that post-dates the advent of said claims.

You say tomato, I say tomato (hmmm, that doesn't work in type, lol), but in the end, it has nothing to do with the debate on if it is a fruit or a vegetable. They are separate issues historically at least.

John

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The answer is yes. Each side accuses the other of defecting.

Rome claims it upholds all seven councils, and yet unilaterally added a clause to the original text of the Creed. The Third and Fourth councils, in no uncertain terms, explicitly lay out that the Creed was not ever to be altered in the slightest. And Rome agrees that the councils are Holy Spirit guided...

Sooo, this is why I say it is farcical to defend a church on the basis that it doesn't claim (by word or letter) to replace the proper historical role of the Spirit or of Christ in its revelatory function.

What else are they going to say? "Oh, yeah...sorry. We usurped the keys to the Kingdom. Go to Italy. You'll find them concealed in a gold box inside a locked drawer of the Pope's desk at his personal residence in the Vatican....Third drawer from the top on the right"?
I kinda get it. So basically, the filoque is rejected because although the Persons of the Trinity are equal, the other two are birthed from the Father, right? In other word, the Father was first. Oy! My head hurts! LOL!!

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
that's true, but it also is not UNorthodox to beleive that this is also referring to Peter the Person. Eastern Church Fathers can be found both refuting and supporting this idea and NONE of them viewed the Pope of Rome as holding eternal and wide-sweeping (much less infallible) authority over the Church Universal. My point is that the various interpretations that have always existed regarding the Matthew verse are NOT the crux of the debate in any way. In fact, the fact that the Catholic Church now uses this verse to support their Papal claims is actually an innovation that post-dates the advent of said claims.

You say tomato, I say tomato (hmmm, that doesn't work in type, lol), but in the end, it has nothing to do with the debate on if it is a fruit or a vegetable. They are separate issues historically at least.

John
But what about when verse 17 I think it is? And when Peter talks about the living stones in the Book of Peter? What would you say if someone provided this as proof of Paleo's point?

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In general, regarding the Papal claims, I would suggest paying attention to the very crux of what we disagree with regarding the Pope.

1) It is not about Peter. There are manyh orthodox (epsecially historically) that believed Peter was the head-honcho, the big guy and although you might question him and he will listen, in the end it was his say. Others didn't believe (especially nowdays) and others (most?) just didn't talk about it.

2) this is about the POpe. The pope is not Peter. The Pope is... right now it's Benedict the 16th. The roles of Peter and the Pope are not one in the same. Peter was an original apostle and missionary.

3) Catholics believe the Pope of Rome is infallible in certain circumstances and posesses Universal jurisdiction (that means he holds the right to say what goes anywhere in the Church, although Catholics believe that in his wisdom he has relagated some of these duties to others (bishops and such) and has CHOSEN to grant them certain autonomy whcih he actually respects pretty well) and taht these are of an eternal nature (meaning, it isn't that that's how things work out right now but rather that the Pope of Rome as part of the very nature of his seat will always hold these priorities).

3) Orthodox have believed a LOT of things about the Pope of Rome and before the schism have said many very STRONG (good) statements about the wisdom of this Pope and his vital importance to the good of the Church. However, it has NEVER been Orthodox to believe that the Pope is in and of himself inallible in ANY circumstance or that he innately possesses universal jurisdicition as a rule.

It is MY beleif that the burden of proof lies on the Catholic Church and not on us. But, that is biased of course.

I ahve to run. Sorry for the hurried state of this post. Hope SOMETHING in this post gave you some stuff to think about. SOrry if it confused you.

God bless!

John

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is your claim.

Please substantiate it and show me where the Papacy claims to replace Christ rather than represent Christ on Earth.

I asked you to produce documented evidence for my specific "claims" because I could already tell that you were not reading my posts carefully. The first two lines in your response substantiates my suspicion in this regard. You quote me as saying that it is fundamentally what the papacy is (i.e., embodies) and does which evidences that it has effectively replaced Christ as the true Head. I stand by that statement. But I never once said that the papacy has stated/claimed (by word or letter) that it exists to replace Christ as Head or the Holy Spirit as Revelator and Paraclete. You're knocking down a straw man...

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I asked you to produce documented evidence for my specific "claims" because I could already tell that you were not reading my posts carefully. The first two lines in your response substantiates my suspicion in this regard. You quote me as saying that it is fundamentally what the papacy is (i.e., embodies) and does which evidences that it has effectively replaced Christ as the true Head. I stand by that statement. But I never once said that the papacy has stated/claimed (by word or letter) that it exists to replace Christ as Head or the Holy Spirit is Revelator and Paraclete. You're knocking down a straw man...
Touche mon frere ;) Okay, now that we have cleared the straw man (sorry, I now understand your difference) how is it that he replaces Christ funtionally if not on paper?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what about when verse 17 I think it is? And when Peter talks about the living stones in the Book of Peter? What would you say if someone provided this as proof of Paleo's point?
Which point? There are kind of a lot of semi-related topics going on here. Sorry.

John

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pretty much correct. St Photius the Great in the 9th century the great defender of Orthodoxy against the fillioque, commented:

"According to the fillioque teaching, it is impossible to see why the Holy Spirit could not be called a grandson."

St Photius other arguments against the fillioque:

1. For by making Him (the Son) a source of that which already has a source, they thus render Him (the Father) unneccesary as a source.
By making the Son a principle it elevates Christ higher than the Spirit, it also places Christ closer to the Father and damages the equality of the Trinity.
Fillioque also divides the Holy Spirit into two parts, one from the Father and one from the Son."

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Look up the Tomos of 1285 for more info as well. It is the first and only official Orthodox Synod outlining a full-fledged condemnation and critique of the filioque clause. If you don't want to read the whole thing, you can browse the anathemas at the end which give concise and profound theological reasons for rejecting the filioque.

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
that's true, but it also is not UNorthodox to beleive that this is also referring to Peter the Person. Eastern Church Fathers can be found both refuting and supporting this idea and NONE of them viewed the Pope of Rome as holding eternal and wide-sweeping (much less infallible) authority over the Church Universal.

I'm with you on this...

Even Philip Schaff, noteworthy 19th Cent. Reformed, Church historian expressed the belief in the first vol. of his 8-vol. History of the Christian Church that Peter did fulfill an historical role as being the foundation or rock upon which the Church was initially founded by virtue of his powerful preaching (and conversions which ensued) in Jerusalem on Pentecost as the Church was being birthed.

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In general, regarding the Papal claims, I would suggest paying attention to the very crux of what we disagree with regarding the Pope.

1) It is not about Peter. There are manyh orthodox (epsecially historically) that believed Peter was the head-honcho, the big guy and although you might question him and he will listen, in the end it was his say. Others didn't believe (especially nowdays) and others (most?) just didn't talk about it.

2) this is about the POpe. The pope is not Peter. The Pope is... right now it's Benedict the 16th. The roles of Peter and the Pope are not one in the same. Peter was an original apostle and missionary.

3) Catholics believe the Pope of Rome is infallible in certain circumstances and posesses Universal jurisdiction (that means he holds the right to say what goes anywhere in the Church, although Catholics believe that in his wisdom he has relagated some of these duties to others (bishops and such) and has CHOSEN to grant them certain autonomy whcih he actually respects pretty well) and taht these are of an eternal nature (meaning, it isn't that that's how things work out right now but rather that the Pope of Rome as part of the very nature of his seat will always hold these priorities).

3) Orthodox have believed a LOT of things about the Pope of Rome and before the schism have said many very STRONG (good) statements about the wisdom of this Pope and his vital importance to the good of the Church. However, it has NEVER been Orthodox to believe that the Pope is in and of himself inallible in ANY circumstance or that he innately possesses universal jurisdicition as a rule.

It is MY beleif that the burden of proof lies on the Catholic Church and not on us. But, that is biased of course.

I ahve to run. Sorry for the hurried state of this post. Hope SOMETHING in this post gave you some stuff to think about. SOrry if it confused you.

God bless!

John

Maybe a couple of clarifications on your part are in order - and I say this keeping in mind the "hurried state" of your post (as you phrased it).

Corresponding to your four points above:

(1) In what sense have some Orthodox seen Peter as the "final say" or "head honcho"? I think there is ample biblical evidence to show that Peter rose to the top of the leadership circle within the Apostolic College, but this is a far cry from having de jure doctrinal authority. (Here I cite St. James, the Bishop of Jerusalem who presided over the first council per Acts 15.) Also, as Frs. Hopko and Meyendorff have explained, not a single Apostle ever held charge over an episcopal see; neither did they serve as presbyters/bishops of the partical local churches which they founded.

(2) I don't think anyone is saying that the roles of Peter and subsequent Roman popes are precisely the same. However, in a very real sense, the Pope is Peter according to Roman theology. This is why the Pope's chair is often referred to as the Chair of St. Peter.

(3) The papal-magisterial political system of authority as you describe it appears to be generally accurate as I understand things. Thanks for the education...

I would just point out here to round out your good remarks (and for the overall benefit of those following this thread) that Rome possesses nothing remotely "official" in terms of being able to identify and distinguish between historical papal statements which were uttered ex Cathedra vs. those which were not. This makes defending the Pope easy and convenient: "Papal errors are those which haven't survived, those which the Church accepts and follows are infallible."

(4) Thumbs up! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lastly, here is my (albeit brief) response to the question about how the nature of the papacy inherently usurps the role of Christ as Head and Holy Spirit as Revelator in a manner inconsistent with the nature of Christ Himself and the Church he built:

My central problem lies in the fact that a portion of the Body of Christ on earth (the jurisdiction of Rome) has imputed to it a nature which is missing from the remaining ancient patriarchates - a nature which makes Rome incapable of ultimately falling or apostatizing. This becomes theoretically possible for Antioch or Constantinople, but not for Rome (in spite of Paul's unmistakable warning to the Roman church in chapter 11).

This means that the psychosomatic and organic unity or wholeness of Christ's Body is not ultimately the spiritual earthly Body (united to its Divine-Human Progenitor), but geographical/territorial (i.e., the Roman See).

Thus, to be united to Rome is to be united to Christ. The question is no longer whether the Church is following Christ and the Tradition of the Holy Spirit as revealed in Her as a mystical/sacramental Body (transcending external "institutions"), but rather equates communion with a particular geographical expression or portion of the visible Church as direct communion with Christ Himself.

This is to reverse the order of priority in the Incarnation from pre-existent divinity subsequently adding a human nature to defining essential spiritual qualities in terms of temporal/earthly categories. It ultimately humanizes the eternal Godhead.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a couple of clarifications on your part are in order - and I say this keeping in mind the "hurries state" of your post (as you phrased it).
thank you.

Corresponding to your four points above:

(1) In what sense have some Orthodox seen Peter as the "final say" or "head honcho"? I think there is ample biblical evidence to show that Peter rose to the top of the leadership circle within the Apostolic College, but this is a far cry from having de jure doctrinal authority. (Here I cite St. James, the Bishop of Jerusalem who presided over the first council per Acts 15.) Also, as Frs. Hopko and Meyendorff have explained, not a single Apostle ever held charge over an episcopal see; neither did they serve as presbyters/bishops of the partical local churches which they founded.
You know, I honestly don't ahve time to look it all up again. However, the real point in saying this is to say that however high one elevates Peter among the apostles... even if they could show him to be a de jure leader among them has nothing at all to do with Bishop of Rome's status or place in the Church. The fallacy many Catholics make is they work really hard to prove what Matthew 16 means and talk about Peter and his awesomeness and the keys ad nauseum and then we fall into the trap of arguing about this when in reality it's nothing but a straw man (or a red herring???) and not on purpose (that is, the Catholics aren't saying... hmmm let;'s just confuse them by talking about Peter and not the Pope and that way deflect their attention away from the real issue) but it is really neither here nor there.

(2) I don't think anyone is saying that the roles of Peter and subsequent Roman popes are precisely the same.
I think Catholics do say this or at least functionally they see them as the same. I could be wrong but this would indeed be good news.
However, in a very real sense, the Pope is Peter according to Roman theology. This is why the Pope's chair is often referred to as the Chair of St. Peter.
Yes, this is Roman innovation but what I am saying is that for so long we have been debating this issue on their terms. We start with the unquestioned premise that the Pope is Peter. To them it is... so they start by arguing about Peter's role. But this premise makes no sense form the eastern point of view.

It's like arguing with someone about why potatoes are a better fruit than apples. It makes no sense to enter that discussion by trying to fight about why apples are better. The premise is flawed and so the discussion is useless.

(3) The papal-magisterial political system of authority as you describe it appears to be generally accurate as I understand things. Thanks for the education...

I would just point out here to round out your good remarks (and the for the overall benefit of those following this thread) that Rome possesses nothing remotely "official" in terms of being able to identify and distinguish between historical papal statements which were uttered ex Cathedra vs. those which were not.
I have to agree with this. I have heard vague commentaries on what makes a statement ex-cathedra but nothing precise enough where anyone could say "Hey, the pope just made an infallible statement!" There are no official lists even of what has been stated ex-cathedra thus far. There are one or two statements that are commoonly agreed upon (I think they both have to do with Mary) but then there are others that have been suggested to also fall under an ex-cathedra statement.
This makes defending the Pope easy and convenient: "Papal errors are those which haven't survived, those which the Church accepts and follows are infallible."
I agree, but in fairness it should be pointed out that we do something very similar with if a council is deemed Ecumenical and "binding" for lack of a better word.

My argument then comes not on the ambiquity of Papal authority and when it is/has been and can be laid down (not that it isn't problematic... but we aren't exactly the most organized Church ourselves lol) but on the fact that de jure it ignores any conciliar method which is how the Church has always operated. It can be argued that generally the Popes work to make decisions conciliarly (like with Vaticans I and especially II) but this is by his very choice and granting. It is a priveledge that other bishops can have a say, not a right. This is actually the crux of almost ALL problems I have with the modern Papacy.

I actually have no problem with a de facto Papacy GRANTED to whatever See might be the most logical given the time. I'm not saying that is needed, but I am not saying that is wrong either... whatever the Church needs to function to Her best ability at the time. But assuming that a See has timeless priveledges which can never be lost or taken away by the Church as a whole is a a grave problem to me and not at all reflective of the Ancient Church. that's a personal opinion, but again, in doing so I am trying to key in on the REAL crux of the problem.

(4) Thumbs up! :)
Thanks... I jsut noticed I marked it a ssecond 3) lol

John

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lastly, here is my (albeit brief) response to the question about how the nature of the papacy inherently usurps the role of Christ as Head and Holy Spirit as Revelator in a manner inconsistent with the nature of Christ Himself and the Church he built:

My central problem lies in the fact that a portion of the Body of Christ on earth (the jurisdiction of Rome) has imputed to it a nature which is missing from the remaining ancient patriarchates - a nature which makes Rome incapable of ultimately falling or apostatizing. This becomes theoretically possible for Antioch or Constantinople, but not for Rome (in spite of Paul's unmistakable warning to the Roman church in chapter 11).

This means that the psychosomatic and organic union or wholeness of Christ's Body is not ultimately the spiritual earthly Body as a whole (united to its Divine-Human Progenitor), but geographical/territorial (i.e., the Roman See).

Thus, to be united to Rome is to be united to Christ. The question is no longer whether the Church is following Christ and the Tradition of the Holy Spirit as revealed in Her as a mystical whole, but rather equates communion with a particular geographical expression or portion of the Church.

This is to reverse the order of priority in the Incarnation from pre-existent divinity subsequently adding a human nature to defining essential spiritual qualities in terms of temporal/earthly categories. It ultimately humanizes the eternal Godhead.
I need to absorb this a bit before I can comment.

John

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟20,768.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting conversation. I'm sorry to have caused such a squable, but to me the issue at hand is quite simple. The pope makes claims to infallibility, which is an attribute of God, and no man, even under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Second, if Rome is a false church, having apostacized centuries ago, then it's sacramental life is invalid, and those who are lured into it are victims of deception and suffer. There cannot be two conclusions about the nature of the RCC, either it's the true Church or it's exists as a contradiction to or enemy of the true Church. This is not a judgement of individuals, but the choice is that it's the Body of Christ, or it's not. If it's not, then we must declare that to be so, in order to defend the truth and mercifully illumine the path to Christ, so that no one will be led into union, or remain in union, with a counterfeit.

Basil

Reactions: Matrona
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟285,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting conversation. I'm sorry to have caused such a squable, but to me the issue at hand is quite simple. The pope makes claims to infallibility, which is an attribute of God, and no man, even under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Second, if Rome is a false church, having apostacized centuries ago, then it's sacramental life is invalid, and those who are lured into it are victims of deception and suffer. There cannot be two conclusions about the nature of the RCC, either it's the true Church or it's exists as a contradiction to or enemy of the true Church. This is not a judgement of individuals, but the choice is that it's the Body of Christ, or it's not. If it's not, then we must declare that to be so, in order to defend the truth and mercifully illumine the path to Christ, so that no one will be led into union, or remain in union, with a counterfeit.

Basil
I think the question then, is how best to reach those in union with Rome or who might be persuaded to unite with Rome. I think that there is little chance that there will be a reunification between actual churches in the foreseeable future, so what kind of statements are best for attracting individuals to the Orthodox Faith. I would contend that it is not the kind of statement presented in the OP. That, if anything, would put people on the defensive, and cause them to perceive us as hostile. I think it would be best to focus on showing people love and charity, discussing common ground, but also pointing to where we differ and why one position is more true than another.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.