Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vasya Davidovich said:
Huh? inappropriate contentographic?

Yes. Not Dancing Alone, which is just mean-spirited. He wrote three novels about his childhood that are quite hilarious at the expense of his family. One novel totally trashes the memory of his father. I read the first and was annoyed; I read the second one, which was more graphic and was disgusted. Not gonna read #3!

I can tolerate a little raciness in a novel, but not from a Christian whose writing is a thinly veiled autobiography wherein he paints his family in such a way that they all look foolish to the max.

He should recall all those novels and burn them.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
xenia said:
Yes. Not Dancing Alone, which is just mean-spirited. He wrote three novels about his childhood that are quite hilarious at the expense of his family. One novel totally trashes the memory of his father. I read the first and was annoyed; I read the second one, which was more graphica and was disgusted. Not gonna read #3!

I can tolerate a little raciness in a novel, but not from a Christian who writing is a thinly veiled autobiography wherein he paints his family in such a way that they all look foolish to the max.

Thanks, Xenia. I haven't had the urge to read his books (although I knew he was a high-profile convert), largely because they were never recommended to me. Now I will actively avoid them. Appreciate the heads up.

A book club should protect as well as counsel, no?

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyway, to get off of the subject of bad novels written by Orthodox, let's talk about some good novels written by an Orthodox: Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I'd gladly read either of them again for a book discussion (even though I'm reading them again now for Russian Lit).

Reactions: Reader Nilus
Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Here's two which I've read, and will likely read many times over: The Communion of Love, by Matthew the Poor, and The Mystical Theology of The Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky. There's a third which I've already read twice (and am looking to get the follow-up and read it), FATHER ARSENY 1893-1973, Prisoner, Priest, Spiritual Father.
It was Frank Schaffer's Dancing Alone, which led me to correspond with Dr. Charles Ashanin, of blesed memory, whose work ESSAYS in ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY and CHURCH HISTORY is also on my bookshelf (Dr. Ashanin was Professor of Early Church History at Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, until 1990). I agree that Schaffer is somewhat caustic.
Ok, so I have math problems, that's four books not two!

the sinful and unworthy servant

Upvote 0

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lossky's Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church!

Great Lenten read: The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus

Also recommend: Elder Porphyrios: testimonies and experiences by Klitos Ioannidis (Elder Porphyrios was an Athonite monk who had a great gift of discernment.)
:)

Wiffey

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wiffey said:
Lossky's Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church!

Great Lenten read: The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus

Also recommend: Elder Porphyrios: testimonies and experiences by Klitos Ioannidis (Elder Porphyrios was an Athonite monk who had a great gift of discernment.)
:)

Wiffey
I have been forbidden from reading The Ladder of Divine Ascent by my priest. He told me it wasn't time yet. So although I have the book on file, in the interests of obedience I have yet to crack the spine. I am therefore jealous of you, Wiffey.

Todays recommendation:
The Spiritual Life by St. Theophan the Recluse. Amazing book, potentially life-changing.

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Here's a thought: Why not have someone comb through the list of books which have been mentioned, and compile a list of them in some order according to the level of the members here. The members can then either ascent or deny , and when a final list is agreed upon, we go from there.
As I say, it's just a thought.

the sinful and unworthy servant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Virginian said:
Here's a thought: Why not have someone comb through the list of books which have been mentioned, and compile a list of them in some order according to the level of the members here. The members can then either ascent or deny , and when a final list is agreed upon, we go from there.
As I say, it's just a thought.
Huh? I don't understand the clause in question.

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
One book suggestion-- I intend to read Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann (I know I am obsessed!!!) before the Nativity fast, because his book, while focusing on the Lenten fast and Pascha, has a lot of wisdom in it about fasting and its true purpose. So maybe we could all read that.

Also, I am reading the autobiography of Abbess Thaisia (http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/mall/BookStore/AbbessThaisia.asp) right now (it was a gift to me from an online Orthodox friend along with incense and soap, all from a monastery :D:D:D)-- she was a spiritual daughter of St. John of Kronstadt and I would recommend it to anyone.

BTW, has anyone here suggested St. Maria Skobtsova's writings yet? Those are a must.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marjorie said:
One book suggestion-- I intend to read Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann (I know I am obsessed!!!) before the Nativity fast, because his book, while focusing on the Lenten fast and Pascha, has a lot of wisdom in it about fasting and its true purpose. So maybe we could all read that.

In IC XC,
Marjorie
Marjorie,
I whole-heartedly concur with you on this one. Great Lent is a wonderful and inspiring read.
Under His Mercy,
Eusebios.

Upvote 0

grov

Sep 16, 2004
✟344.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marjorie said:
One book suggestion-- I intend to read Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann (I know I am obsessed!!!) before the Nativity fast, because his book, while focusing on the Lenten fast and Pascha, has a lot of wisdom in it about fasting and its true purpose.

Our Priest says that this book drove him to want to go to seminary (St. Vlad's).

George

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xsearnold

Oct 21, 2004
Near Chicago
✟154.00
Faith
Non-Denom
xenia said:
Yes. Not Dancing Alone, which is just mean-spirited. He wrote three novels about his childhood that are quite hilarious at the expense of his family. One novel totally trashes the memory of his father. I read the first and was annoyed; I read the second one, which was more graphic and was disgusted. Not gonna read #3!

I can tolerate a little raciness in a novel, but not from a Christian whose writing is a thinly veiled autobiography wherein he paints his family in such a way that they all look foolish to the max.

I don't think I would trivialize Dancing Alone as "just mean-spirited." For me, it seriously challenged me to take a look at the dogmatic positions I grew up believing, merely because they were taught from the pulpit. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Protestants in general are ignorant of Church history, when compared to some Catholics and most Orthodox. Also, I see that many here have been influenced by this book to read other books on Orthodoxy which have eventually led them to convert.

Regarding the Calvin Becker trilogy, they are perhaps slightly more graphic than Song of Solomon, and less graphic than the violence found in many Old Testament books. Arguably, they don't have the redeeming value of any book in canon. Yes, they seiously satirize what it is like to grow up in a "spiritual" family, particularly where the strong sense of piety comes from the mother, rather than the father. I have witnessed firsthand what can happen when false piety runs amok (not necessarily in my own family), so some of Calvin's experiences weren't outlandish from what I saw.

What I found even more interesting was the foreshadowing in the fictional upbringing of Calvin Becker with the eventual conversion to Orthodoxy of the author. Calvin was taken with the ritual and mysticism of the Catholic church in Portofino and found himself seriously questioning the Calvinism his father so staunchly held dear, as well as the ease with which his family would change their denominational affiliation whenever a minor disagreement arose (the same charges he laid against Protestantism in Dancing Alone).

Finally, Frank has written some excellent recent works centered around the sacrifice and dedication of mililtary personnel and their families in the US, starting with his own experiences when his son chose to enlist in the Marines rather than take the usual privileged route via the Ivy League.

Reasonable people can disagree about the raciness of his fictional works and the passions embodied in his non-fiction, but Frank Schaeffer's books are always thought-provoking, in my opinion, and well worth the read.

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
pachomi33 said:
Hi new to this site. But has anyone recommended Being as Communion by +Zizoulios, and Ancestral Sin by Fr. Romanides? They really helped highlight the dogmatic differences with the West.Blessings
Hi, pachomi33! :wave: Welcome to TAW.:) I've heard of that first book, but haven't read it yet.

Upvote 0