Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ExOrienteLux said:
YES!!!! That book is hilarious!

On an Orthodox note, however, has anyone here ever read the periodical Road to Emmaus? I've seen an ad for it in some magazine I was reading (might have been Touchstone or First Things) and it looked good. I was wondering if I should shell out $25 per year for four issues, though...
Josh,
I checked out the website, it looks very interesting. I also asked Fr. John about it and he said it is a good magazine, so I might check into it myself. You should have been recieved by now too! Sorry we couldn't make it, retail and all :(
In Xp,
Eusebios.
:bow:

Upvote 0

PandaBear

Jan 3, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
✟8,556.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The only Orthodox books I've read so far are The Orthodox Way and Facing East. Orthodox Way was amazing for me...very influential on my journey. I still need to read Orthodox Church. I'm also reading his conversion story in his first collected works. I haven't even begun to read Orthodox books, really. I'm grateful for the recommendations here.

PB

Reactions: Marjorie
Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just finished Father Arseny:1893-1973 Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father.

I have to say I'm an idiot. I was a history major in college. My senior paper was on the Soviet Union and Dissent. I addressed both political/intellectual and religious persecution. I read stories of believers in prison camps or mental institutions. I don't remember ever assuming that they weren't anything but Baptists!

:doh:

Now I'll have to dig out my old paper and footnotes...could I have just ignored the truth? :blush:

Loved Father Arseny. As scary as it would be, won't it be nice to have someone see right thru to who you really are?

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rilian said:
Did you read the Gulag Archipelago as part of it?

No! Can you believe it?

I had 37 sources in my bibliography, looks like I have a broad representation of personal experiences and academic info about the Soviet system. I can't remember how I got on this subject. I might have read part of Gulag during another class...I had quite a few history, political science classes on the Soviet Union.

Looking at my bibliography makes me want to go back & read some of these books again. I read Ginzberg?! Who is Cornelia Gerstenmaier, Natalya Gorbanevskaya? It was only 15 yrs ago! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
DanielRB said:
Hi All, :wave:

Though not a "great" book (either theologically or otherwise), what about "Becoming Orthodox" by Peter Gillquist? Has it been helpful to anyone in their journey towards Orthodoxy?

In Christ,

Daniel

I have the book but haven't read it yet. I'm currently reading Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells and it is amazing. I had bought it for my cousin who has become disillusioned with Protestantism and it had such an effect on him that I had to read it ASAP. I can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone Orthodox or for any Protestant who is curious about Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I imagine most of us converts read "Becoming Orthodox" along the way. It certainly helped me. Plus I was able to hear Fr. Peter in person a couple of times, which also helped. I find that conversion stories are very meaningful to me, and I have a lot of books covering that subject.

Mary

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a book published by the St. Herman of Alaska press, I don't have it in front of me but I think it's called "Beloved Sufferer." It's about a 20th-century Russian schemanun, Mother Macaria, who was very disabled, basically spent her whole life propped in a corner praying, and had some amazing experiences.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ufonium2 said:
There's a book published by the St. Herman of Alaska press, I don't have it in front of me but I think it's called "Beloved Sufferer." It's about a 20th-century Russian schemanun, Mother Macaria, who was very disabled, basically spent her whole life propped in a corner praying, and had some amazing experiences.

I am reading this book now. I cannot comprehend the hardships this lady suffered.

Upvote 0

Verushka

Mar 11, 2005
Helsinki
✟352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My priest recommend us (my fiancé and I) to read Paul Evdokimovs The sacrament of love when we first time talked him about our wedding plans. It's about sacramental mystery of human love between man and woman. This book is just amazing, I genuiely think every Christian should read it at least once in their lifetime!!
Verushka

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Doors of the Sea by David Bentley Hart is probably the best work I've read on theodicy ever... it's wonderfully Orthodox, steeped heavily in the Orthodox tradition, but in a way that it can appeal (and influence) non-Orthodox, and non-Christians...

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A fantastic book for those searching, or anyone for that matter is “Touching Heaven” by John Oliver. The publisher provides the following description:

"Deep in a northern Russian forest of jade and brown, far from any hint of civilization, Valaam Monastery sinks into the seasons of the year as it has for a thousand years before. . . ." So begins the story of John Oliver, a young evangelical American on a journey of discovery—a journey that leads him to an ancient Russian monastery, a place of peace and a place of struggle. For on Valaam, he encounters Orthodox Christianity and is reminded that the Christian life is not for the faint of heart. And on Valaam, the treasure of stillness requires a fierce guarding.”

I found this book to be of immense benefit to my prayer life, and would recommend it to anyone.

In XC,

Maureen

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Suzannah said:
Where members discuss their latest Orthodox bestsellers from the last 2000 years....

:)

Enjoy

I am curently reading The Byzantine Ascetic and Spiritual Fathers, by Fr. Georges Florovsky. Besides being a polemic for monasticism and ascetical thought; as found in the New Testament, this work of Florovsky's also discusses in some detail the "spiritual struggle" we all face in our journey to communion with God.
Not all of us will be called by God to take a monastic vow. And yet, although we may 'live in the world', we are each called as Christians to enter that struggle monks and nuns enter, to acheive union/communion with our Creator.

:crosseo: "...and put on the whole armor of God,
that you may be able to stand firm
against the schemes of the devil....":crosseo:

Upvote 0