peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a beautiful ordinance when observed correctly.

OBSERVED CORRECTLY...like make sure there is a camera recording this. Make sure we have the supreme connection with God clothes on. Make sure the room is full of Pharisees.

Jesus would walk in here and start kicking tables and bowls over. This is not humility. This is self righteous pious buffoonery.

Reactions: Eseven
Upvote 0
T

Tiredknight

You are halfway correct.

But it was also about feet.

They were dirty and needed washed.

You miss Jesus's point entirely... You might want to go re-read that part of the bible again.

And here is why... their feet were already clean. The Servant washing the feet would have been done the moment they entered the. Also it was passover. They would have already gone to the temple to get ceremoniously washed and cleaned before they partook of the passover.

Upvote 0

CityOfGod

Nov 26, 2012
✟1,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You miss Jesus's point entirely... You might want to go re-read that part of the bible again.

And here is why... their feet were already clean. The Servant washing the feet would have been done the moment they entered the. Also it was passover. They would have already gone to the temple to get ceremoniously washed and cleaned before they partook of the passover.

No you are wrong my friend.

The reason they washed their feet in those days was because their feet got dirty from travel.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OBSERVED CORRECTLY...like make sure there is a camera recording this. Make sure we have the supreme connection with God clothes on. Make sure the room is full of Pharisees.

Jesus would walk in here and start kicking tables and bowls over. This is not humility. This is self righteous pious buffoonery.
I see it as beautiful when observed in a pure spirit. While we do this as a clergy thing, we involve the laity. But I see what the FW baptist do as wonderful. I'd even suggest people do this at home with the spouse and children.
This is not just about becoming humble. One can be humble and sad. This is finding joy in being a true servant. But we often miss the lesson taught to Peter. Allowing someone you feel is very special to wash your feet is the hard part of this lesson. Peter would have washed the feet of Christ in a New York second. Peter saw Christ as his Master. I would even think that Peter would have no issue washing the feet of any of Christ's flock at that time. But now Peter learns how to be served by the Master as well. Not just in His Glory but in a lowly way as well.
Without a doubt, Christ was teaching his clergy. Those who would set upon thrones. Those who had already asked which one was greater. Those who at this time still didn't get the concept of the Kingdom. Where the least of men is greatest and the greatest of men are least.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No you are wrong my friend.

The reason they washed their feet in those days was because their feet got dirty from travel.

Now correct me if I'm wrong. Did Jesus not explain that they were clean with the exception of Judas?

Upvote 0

peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see it as beautiful when observed in a pure spirit. While we do this as a clergy thing, we involve the laity. But I see what the FW baptist do as wonderful. I'd even suggest people do this at home with the spouse and children.
This is not just about becoming humble. One can be humble and sad. This is finding joy in being a true servant. But we often miss the lesson taught to Peter. Allowing someone you feel is very special to wash your feet is the hard part of this lesson. Peter would have washed the feet of Christ in a New York second. Peter saw Christ as his Master. I would even think that Peter would have no issue washing the feet of any of Christ's flock at that time. But now Peter learns how to be served by the Master as well. Not just in His Glory but in a lowly way as well.
Without a doubt, Christ was teaching his clergy. Those who would set upon thrones. Those who had already asked which one was greater. Those who at this time still didn't get the concept of the Kingdom. Where the least of men is greatest and the greatest of men are least.

Jesus was asked why he doesn't wash his hands according to pattern of the "clergy"(Mark 7). Does he then contradict himself and now say it is important to have clean feet? Christ was constantly teaching and the disciples were constantly making mistakes.

Who is brave enough to get past "behaviour modification" in the bible. Yes of course Jesus was teaching humility. But is that all? No one looking deeper?
It's like arguing about wine. Grapes have everything they need to become wine. Let the juice and skin mix together add some sunlight and time and all of a sudden you have wine. It even has a built in consequence to over drinking called a hangover. Yet people argue for hours on end about drinking behaviors.

Jesus was warning me of Brass feet. If it was just about humility, He wouldn't have had to specify feet. And it wasn't about cleanliness, since he already put that down in Mark 7. This warning would have you steer clear of Revelations. But you can't ask a catholic to give up their hell, fire, and damnation. They've had season tickets through legacy for too long.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
See now you jsut talking past people and fighting just to fight. You did not even read what I said...

Some are obstinate just for the sake of being obtuse (or something like that...;))

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some are obstinate just for the sake of being obtuse (or something like that...;))
Or they just don't like the idea of doing such. I was a bit shocked when I heard this spoke of as obsolete. I thought the New Covenant was still the Covenant.
It doesn't concern me that someone doesn't do this. It does concern me when those who do follow the teaching and example of Christ are called weird by another Christian. Peculiar I could live with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Or they just don't like the idea of doing such. I was a bit shocked when I heard this spoke of as obsolete. I thought the New Covenant was still the Covenant.
It doesn't concern me that someone doesn't do this. It does concern me when those who do follow the teaching and example of Christ are called weird by another Christian. Peculiar I could live with.

I can understand that others may not like the idea, or they are not used to it. I was not raised in a denomination that performed the ritual, so when I encountered it the first time I have to admit I was a bit taken aback and had to have the whole thing explained to me a bit. But with an adequate explanation I don't recall that there was this ongoing objection to the whole thing. But to each their own.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah it is odd. I did not like it being done to me. But I allowed someone to do it to me. IT is out of my comfort zone for sure.
I'm the same in feelings on this. It's quite easy for me to wash the feet of others. But it is nothing even close to comfortable having a brother I respect highly doing it to me. But when we allow our self to witness the blessing it bestows on our brother, it makes it worth it all.
I'm not so sure love is supposed to be comfortable when wearing bodies of flesh. When I first got to talk with my wife and got to know a bit about her, I was in love. That may sound sweet but it felt closer to being sick to my stomach.
The comfort zone we speak of is that old man needing crucified. We all need to leave that and enter God's comfort zone. I read nothing in John 13 that leads me to believe that Christ was not completely comfortable doing this. I am not there yet.

Upvote 0

peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalm78:49 He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending EVIL ANGELS among them.

If you were to wash these evil angels feet, what would they look like? What clothes would they be wearing? Clothes as white as snow? Would their words be canon? Would you do what they told you? Would you base your theology on every word that came off their lips?

The act of humility isn't really a parable. Jesus spoke in parables. Jesus focused our attention on the feet. Why does the angel in revelations have BRASS feet? How about the angels that were brightly dressed when Jesus vanished? Jesus commanded the disciples to remain in Jerusalem, yet they followed him to Bethany.

You've gotten this parable wrong for ages. If it is about humility, then you may as well scrub the naughty bits; oh wait you're already dealing with that costly scrubbing.

Upvote 0