Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read the space trilogy, but it looks like I should. If you can't learn anything from C.S. Lewis, I think that says more about you than it does about him. I'm partial to some of his other books (The Problem of Pain, The Screwtape Letters, etc.), but that likewise says something about me. :oops:

And if it really is better not to learn from anyone outside of your communion (which I know it is isn't, but y'know...if), then I'll remind you all of the habit your various publishing houses (SVS, The Orthodox Research Institute, Ancient Faith Publishing, etc.) have had for several years now of (re)publishing works by HH Pope Shenouda III (On the Life of Repentance and Purity), HG Bishop Suriel (his book on St. Habib Girgis, the pioneer in Coptic education who departed in 1951), Daniel Fanous (Taught By God, or maybe more controversially The Person of the Christ: The Earthly Context of the Savior; he is now Fr. Daniel Fanous, head of the Coptic Orthodox seminary in Australia), and of course the many, many useful English translations of works and sayings by Fr. Matthew the Poor (The Orthodox Prayer Life, The Communion of Love, Words For Our Time, etc.). These people are/were all very much outside the boundaries of your communion, at least here on earth where we can make note of such things.

And for our part we ought to remove the useful books by the likes of Fr. Peter Gillquist, Fr. Thomas Hopko, Fr. Anthony Coniaris, and other contemporary and historical EO writers that are found in our bookstores and libraries; and my own father should have never given us during the Agape meal any sayings by the Romanian elders he admired (all the while reminding some of the Egyptians that we were not going to commune the Jordanian Chalcedonians who visited us for about a year unless they were to actually request and receive baptism); and we certainly shouldn't have translated portions of our Coptic liturgy of St. Basil into Russian for the benefit of the Russians of Hurghada, since of course they shouldn't have been there in the first place; they have their own schools (four of them) in that city, and surely their own churches (though I can't exactly tell from the look of it; they may borrow a Coptic church or some other spaces), yet there they are, attending a Coptic Orthodox liturgy. Какой ужас!

Anyway, I'm off to find some way to read Perelandra for free online. Thank you, Rus!

Upvote 0