The New Testament Sabbath Day

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you know that during the entire time when the NT was being written, the entire Christian Church throughout the known world observed the Sabbath. And it wasn't Sunday. The Sabbath wasn't just a few proof texts it was something that was woven into the very fabric of the New Testament.
Luke 4 tells us that Jesus, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and stood up for to read.
How important was the Sabbath to the Jews of that time. It was of course, the fourth of the Ten Commandments but it was also the heart and core of their covenant with God. the Sabbath lay at the very heart of the identity of their God - Ex 31:12-13
The Sabbath was a sign that identified who their God was.
Changing the Sabbath to another day would be unthinkable. It would be like changing Gods. The Sabbath was created as a perpetual covenant to last forever.
It was not a mere doctrine that could be abandoned if it became inconvenient.
So Jesus kept the Sabbath religiously. But was it His intent to later change this Holy Day of Worship for His disciples and future followers.
Was there a point at sometime Jesus clearly announced the change, and to give a reason for it. All of Jesus' disciples were Jews. and the Sabbath was a part of their life. For 20 years after Christ the early Christian church was composed entirely of Jews
Paul's conversion of Gentiles with their first missionary journey can be found in Acts 13. Throughout the four gospels and up through acts 12 you will not find a word about a controversy over the Sabbath or even a hint of such a monumental change in the day of worship made Holy by God.
It would be hard to imagine that the NT Church of God would keep the Sabbath and then the next week observed Sunday instead-with no explanation, no comment, not even a peep from any of the Apostles. We are to believe that the greatest religious and cultural change in history was made and nobody said one word against it.
The conventional thought is that the crucifixion and resurrection changed everything. however there is nothing in the NT that specifically says so.
There is no real evidence the big change from the Sabbath to Sunday took place in Apostolic times or during the NT writings.
That apostate happened after all the apostles died.
A new church evolved, but it was not going to be like anything Jesus built.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do YOU mean by "observing the Sabbath", the non-Torah based man made tradition (custom) of going to a church/Temple/synagogue on the Sabbath? The reason I ask is because God is very clear we are to convocate in our dwellings and we are to stay in our place.

Now it is fine if you do choose to go to a place for corporate worship on the 7th day but it is not a commandment.

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do YOU mean by "observing the Sabbath", the non-Torah based man made tradition (custom) of going to a church/Temple/synagogue on the Sabbath? The reason I ask is because God is very clear we are to convocate in our dwellings and we are to stay in our place.

Now it is fine if you do choose to go to a place for corporate worship on the 7th day but it is not a commandment.

Jesus Christ faithfully attends the synagogue on the Sabbath as his habit was-Luke 4:16
We are to walk in His steps- 1 Peter 1:21
The Apostles teach in the synagogue on the Sabbath - Acts 13

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you know that during the entire time when the NT was being written, the entire Christian Church throughout the known world observed the Sabbath.
Says who? The first day of the week -- the Lord's Day -- is embedded in Scripture (Rev 1:10). Anyway, Sabbatarians are tiresome.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ faithfully attends the synagogue on the Sabbath as his habit was-Luke 4:16

Yes the synagogue system was a Jewish (not Israelite) custom they developed while they were captives in Babylon...to remember the Lord and His teachings! But NOT doing so, and meeting on another day for corporate worship, is not a violation of any command, nor is it an offense to God. The Israelites (much more than just the Jewish people) were only COMMANDED to ALL attend on the High Sabbaths (which can fall on any week day).

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And we should bear in mind that until the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, the Old Covenant was in force and Christ and His apostles accepted that. However, once we come to Acts and the epistles, we see how Christ's teaching on the first day of the week makes itself felt among Christians. Sadly, too many Christians do not call Sunday "the Lord's Day" and that's when the problems begin.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
*Jesus is obeying the Old Covenant sabbath fulfilling the Law for us. HE ONLY was able to keep God's Law perfectly.

*After doing that, it was Jesus that introduced the New Covenant in His blood which doesn't say keep the sabbath.

*Hebrews 4 teaches us the believers rest is in Christ!

*It was Jesus who said in Matthew 11:28:
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
It was not "the apostles" per se...it was Paul, and this is NOT a teaching! it's a historical narrative of what Paul and Barnabus did on their missionary journey. Paul went to the synagogue on the sabbath knowing the Jews would be there (because the Jews were keeping the law). His purpose was of preaching the gospel.

It's that same Paul that tells us this in Colossians 2:16-19
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind,
19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

We are to allow NO ONE to judge us about these things (which were under the Law) because CHRIST FULFILLED the Law for us and gave us a New Covenant. Do you know what that New Covenant says? I would point you to Galatians 3 and Hebrews 9.

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 1: 10 is not referring to the Sabbath-this has to do with the time of Christ's return the second coming.
the Sabbath is a memorial of God's creation on the seventh day -Ex 20:8-11. That Holy remembrance day can not be changed by men like sun worshiping Constantine.
The distinction between the NT and the OT in no way diminishes the need for the validity of the seventh day Sabbath
Hebrews 4:9 clearly states " So there remains a SABBATH rest for the people of God " The Sabbath is scripturally supported no matter what arguments you may use to try to invalidate God's Holy day.
The Sabbath is a gift to anyone, not just the Jews, who keeps it the way it was intended-Isaiah 56:2-7
Jesus makes it clear the only part of the Law " nailed to the cross " is the penalty paid for the violation of that Law.
When we honor God's Sabbath we show God that we accept His Word as instruction.
Sabbath is a sign of God's people. We of the faith are spiritual Israelites; children of Abraham -Gal 3:7
The Sabbath is a sign of sanctification - Holiness - it can not be changed by any man or misguided interpretation of scripture.
The breaking of the Sabbath is the primary reason Israel went into captivity and was scattered. This shows the seriousness of disobedience towards the keeping of the Sabbath.
Jesus show the Sabbath was still to be kept in later times of the future - Matt 24:20
30 years after Christ's death Luke was inspired to write that the Sabbath was still a COMMANDMENT- Luke 23:56
Paul taught the Sabbath to both Jews and Gentiles on the Sabbath - Acts 13:42-44
Isa 56:2-7 is a Millennial reference to God's Sabbath.
And God's Sabbath is to be kept after the time of the New Heavens and the New Earth - Isa 66:
23-24
We should follow Jesus' example as the Bible says.i John 2:6
Hebrews 13:8 say " Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever "
Jesus taught that the Sabbath of the Bible was made by God for all of humanity.
Did Jesus say anywhere to ignore His examples? Did He say any church or person had the authority to transfer the Holy 7th day Sabbath to Sunday?
No. He said " If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me " - John 12:26
Will you follow your Savior or the ministries of this age?

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 1: 10 is not referring to the Sabbath-this has to do with the time of Christ's return the second coming.
the Sabbath is a memorial of God's creation on the seventh day -Ex 20:8-11. That Holy remembrance day can not be changed by men like sun worshiping Constantine.
The distinction between the NT and the OT in no way diminishes the need for the validity of the seventh day Sabbath
Hebrews 4:9 clearly states " So there remains a SABBATH rest for the people of God " The Sabbath is scripturally supported no matter what arguments you may use to try to invalidate God's Holy day.
The Sabbath is a gift to anyone, not just the Jews, who keeps it the way it was intended-Isaiah 56:2-7
Jesus makes it clear the only part of the Law " nailed to the cross " is the penalty paid for the violation of that Law.
Sabbath is a sign of God's people. We of the faith are spiritual Israelites; children of Abraham -Gal 3:7
The Sabbath is a sign of sanctification - Holiness - it can not be changed by any man or misguided interpretation of scripture.
The breaking of the Sabbath is the primary reason Israel went into captivity and was scattered. This shows the seriousness of disobedience towards the keeping of the Sabbath.
Jesus show the Sabbath was still to be kept in later times of the future - Matt 24:20
30 years after Christ's death Luke was inspired to write that the Sabbath was still a COMMANDMENT- Luke 23:56
Paul taught the Sabbath to both Jews and Gentiles on the Sabbath - Acts 13:42-44
And God's Sabbath is to be kept after the time of the New Heavens and the New Earth - Isa 66:
23-24
Did Jesus say anywhere to ignore His examples? Did He say any church or person had the authority to transfer the Holy 7th day Sabbath to Sunday?

And how is it to be observed correctly according to you? Seriously...

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath keeping reflects our relationship with God. Jesus brought new understanding and insight into the significance of the weekly Sabbath in the lives of God's true follower. Nothing was cancelled or destroyed but rather enhanced in purpose and harmony.
First, the Commandment tells us not to work. This does not mean you can't lift a finger to help someone, it means not to receive pay or receive a productive increase from working.
Second, God's fourth commandment tells us to rest. This does not mean we must stay in bed all day. Rest means to change the pace of six days of go, go, go and work, work, work to being able to stop and appreciate the day with our Lord.
Third, we are told to assemble with others for worship
Fourth, we need to fellowship- Hebrews 10:25

We should not preoccupy ourselves with our own pleasures but rather show honor to God on this day
Sabbath observance should never be a burden, it should liberate man for meeting and venerating God.
It needs to be a day of happiness and spiritual enlightenment.
It's a time to smell the roses.
We should keep the Sabbath's basic principles to allow us to have an enjoyable day versus an oppressed and strict regiment.
The Gospels will show you how Jesus kept the Sabbath

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually it's you not acknowledging all of scripture. Just as you isolate one passage from Hebrews 4 and disregard the others. The entire point of the chapter is believer's rest in Christ. Hebrews 4:1-4 makes the point:
Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,”

although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Christ fulfilled the Sabbath!
23-24
Here's the bottom line. You think we have to keep the Sabbath, and you want to think that even though Christ is the rest of all who believe.

That's fine...FOR YOU. I rest in the fact that Jesus gave me that rest at the cross. So just as Paul said in Colossians 2:16-19, I let NO ONE judge me about keeping the Sabbath.

When you understand Jesus ABOLISHED the Old Covenant at the cross, you might wake up to the truth of His work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually it's you not acknowledging all of scripture. Just as you isolate one passage from Hebrews 4 and disregard the others. The entire point of the chapter is believer's rest in Christ. Hebrews 4:1-4 makes the point:
Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,”

although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Christ fulfilled the Sabbath!

Here's the bottom line. You think we have to keep the Sabbath, and you want to think that even though Christ is the rest of all who believe.

That's fine...FOR YOU. I rest in the fact that Jesus gave me that rest at the cross. So just as Paul said in Colossians 2:16-19, I let NO ONE judge me about keeping the Sabbath.

When you understand Jesus ABOLISHED the Old Covenant at the cross, you might wake up to the truth of His work.

In Hebrews 4, Paul discusses how the weekly Sabbath pictures the millennial Sabbath as God's millennial rest.
When we enter God's rest day-the seventh day Sabbath-we also are resting from our (human) works, as God did from His six days of works.

The prophets and Revelation shows that all people will be required to keep God's Sabbath and Holy days when He returns to restore obedience to the Law.

Did Jesus abolish all the 10 Commandments at the cross or was it just the fourth commandment?

Colossians, more than any other book, confirms the observance of the Sabbath and the Holy Days.
If they were not following the Sabbath and Holy Days-why were they being judged by others then?

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In Hebrews 4, Paul discusses how the weekly Sabbath pictures the millennial Sabbath as God's millennial rest.
When we enter God's rest day-the seventh day Sabbath-we also are resting from our (human) works, as God did from His six days of works.
You have it backwards. Paul's point is Jesus did the work of pleasing God and obeying His Law perfectly and therefore when a person is converted they rest in what Christ has already done. Notice the basis is having believed the gospel in verse 2, followed by the point that they (those who don't believe the gospel) had no faith. That is followed by the fact that we who believe HAVE entered into the rest Jesus provides for us when we become saved, as verse 3 says:
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,” although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Notice that verse 3 ties it back t the rest of God from creation! Anyway you look at it, that's the Sabbath!
The prophets and Revelation shows that all people will be required to keep God's Sabbath and Holy days when He returns to restore obedience to the Law.
Prove that. Show one place in the NT, after the four gospels, that commands us to keep the Sabbath day.
Did Jesus abolish all the 10 Commandments at the cross or was it just the fourth commandment?
The 10 commandments are never abolished...the ceremonial laws that required keeping the Sabbath day holy are, because Jesus gives us rest. When you come to Christ, HE IS YOUR SABBATH. To "remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy" is to remember Christ as the Holy One. This is the argument of the writer of Hebrews, that starts in chapter 3 and ends in Chapter 4. We enter sabbath rest in what Jesus has done!

Furthermore please look up the requirements of the Sabbath day, because I doubt if you even keep it properly according to the law concerning the Sabbath.
Colossians, more than any other book, confirms the observance of the Sabbath and the Holy Days.
If they were not following the Sabbath and Holy Days-why were they being judged by others then?
That's ridiculous! If what you say is true, why would Paul say that we are to let NO ONE judge us about Sabbath days and and feast days? Read it carefully...Colossians 2:16-17:
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Look up that word "substance" please. The passage says Christ is THE SUBSTANCE of dietary laws, feast days, new moons, and Sabbath days.

What does that mean?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath keeping reflects our relationship with God. Jesus brought new understanding and insight into the significance of the weekly Sabbath in the lives of God's true follower. Nothing was cancelled or destroyed but rather enhanced in purpose and harmony.
First, the Commandment tells us not to work. This does not mean you can't lift a finger to help someone, it means not to receive pay or receive a productive increase from working.
Second, God's fourth commandment tells us to rest. This does not mean we must stay in bed all day. Rest means to change the pace of six days of go, go, go and work, work, work to being able to stop and appreciate the day with our Lord.
Third, we are told to assemble with others for worship
Fourth, we need to fellowship- Hebrews 10:25

We should not preoccupy ourselves with our own pleasures but rather show honor to God on this day
Sabbath observance should never be a burden, it should liberate man for meeting and venerating God.
It needs to be a day of happiness and spiritual enlightenment.
It's a time to smell the roses.
We should keep the Sabbath's basic principles to allow us to have an enjoyable day versus an oppressed and strict regiment.
The Gospels will show you how Jesus kept the Sabbath

Jesus also kept the feast of Dedication, played Dreidel, made His bar-Mitzvah, and more as was His CUSTOM (tradition) none of these are Torah. So when you think "because Jesus did it we should or must" you are in error, otherwise get yourself a nice Tallith and have a Bar-Mitzvah set up in your near by synagogue and next Channukah get with it.

But when you say "Third, we are told to assemble with others for worship" you are correct but the question is WHERE?

Now Jesus went into the synagogue on the Sabbath as was His custom or manner (from the word etho; to do as one is accustomed to related to ethnos or one’s culture) and this tradition of gathering in one place for corporate worship was the invention of the P’rishim while in Babylonia, and was NEVER the commandment of God and no Israelite (including Moses) ever observed this custom.

The early church as taught by the Apostles to the first leaders they appointed always met on the 1st day which is also called an 8th day following the 7th day Sabbath. The Jewish believers still kept going to the synagogue on Sabbath and then gathered as the Church of Messiah on the 1st day for corporate worship, reading from scripture as long as able, the breaking of bread, and so on. The church was never instructed to worship on “Sun day” but on the 1rst day as understood by the Church.

The first time the word Sunday is used is when Justin Martyr is addressing the Emperor of Rome (who would never have been able to grasp the difference) and it is not used again till 100 or so years later….we used the phrase ‘1rst day of the week’ in its Biblical sense….

God attaches much significance to 1rst days and 8th days all through the Old Testament (some are even Sabbaths) but new 1sts are also always of great siginificance…they are always days of creation and redemption, liberation, the starting of a new thing, a new order of life, a new beginning, etc. (nothing whatsoever to do with the pagan concepts of “Sun Day” or a day of the Sun, or Sun worship…I warn you, be careful not to attribute the things of God to ba’alzabub, that’s dangerous ground)

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let us look more closely at the specific commands that speak of a where....

Exodus 16:29 says, “See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore on the sixth day he gives you the bread of two days; every man abide in his place (lit. - house)”

The COMMANDMENT then immediately goes on to say "LET NO MAN GO OUT OF HIS PLACE (house) ON THE SABBATH DAY"

Likewise in the other scripture often used by Sabbatarians, Leviticus 23:3, it tells us, “Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath, a day of holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings."

Please note the part always left off by SDAs when they quote it....IT IS THE SABBATH (where?) in ALL (many) YOUR (personal pronoun) DWELLINGS (plural for your houses or camps)

So the "where" is apparent and there is NO mention at all of getting the family up, getting them dressed up, gathering food for fellowship, and travelling (by donkey OR car) to any synagogue/Tabernacle/or Temple...and NOWHERE in the entire OT until Ezra Nehemiah does ANYONE (even Moses) do this...not that it is wrong, just that it is not commanded as what should be done!

Also note that in Deuteronomy 5 after reiteration of the Sabbath LAW in verse three YHVH tells them that this is His covenant between Him and them (the Israelites) and that He did not even have this covenant with their fathers (Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc.). He never had this covenant with any gentiles as far as we can tell and the church council in Acts didn't even mention it in its requirements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Starting in the 1st century in the writings of the Apostle's disciples we read...

The Didache (14)

But every Lord's day, gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned.

Epistle of Barnabas (15:8,9)

“…“we also worship on the first day, which is the eighth day“… Even so, let us celebrate on the eight day, in which Jesus arose out of death, appeared publicly, and ascended into heaven!

Ignatius of Antioch (Letter to the Magnesians 8 - A.D. 110)

Those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death.

Justin Martyr (130) First Apology, chapter 67,

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succors the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (He is speaking to the Emperor of Rome in terms the Emperor would comprehend)

Justin also tells us elsewhere of our gathering together that it was on “the first day after the Sabbath, remaining first of all days, called however the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and remaining the first“. His contemporaries elsewhere (see Irenaeus, and Bardasian) refer to “the Lord’s Day of resurrection“ which was on first fruits, which is always the 1st day of the week followng the 7th day Sabbath in Unleavened Bread!

This unending historical confirmation continues in other Churches through Clement, and Tertullian, up unto around 200 A.D., which again is clearly an entire century before the birth of Constantine. Then, shortly after this, Cyprian the Bishop of Carthage (around 225 A.D), says that the Lord’s Day upon which Christians worship “is both the first day and the eighth day”! Again being written nearly a century before Constantine.

So whoever PERSUADED you that this was not the practice until after Constantine is either not at all knowlegable or else lied with intent...but it just not true so now you know.

Now this should not stop you from keeping this day as opposed to any other for in Him we are liberated having His rest ALL days, Sabbath to Sabbath, month to month...I have gone to Church gatherings on the 7th day and on other occasions on the 1st day...and I always try to take a day of rest (at least one in seven) for His glory and for my body, thanking God always...

In the New Covenant it is not about the Letter of the Law but the Spirit of the Law. If you make it about the letter of the law then you MUST keep the whole of the Law (every jot and tittle) or be condemned by the Law (and this does not encourage or suggest it is okay to be a child of disobedience).

WE, knowing we are not and cannot be perfect, but are being perfected by whay HE DID and HE DOES, lean on grace and truth THROUGH Christ Jesus...everything else is commentary. The Covenant at Horeb is about what the human's must do and not do....the Covenant at Calvary is about what He DID and DID NOT do ON OUR BEHALF.

The whole of the Law is fulfilled IN HIM and we are IN HIM...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Even moreso, the apostle Paul makes it really clear it's not about a particular day. The point is who do we regard the day to? He also addresses the idea of observing dietary laws, and makes it clear we're not to judge one another in these matters. If I decided to go to church on Wednesday instead of Sunday, no one should judge me about that. If I decide to eat no pork, or let's say I decide to be a vegetarian, no saint should judge me about that.
Romans 14:1-9:
Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.
2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.
9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

Paul doesn't even mention the Sabbath because He knows Christ is our Sabbath...and we rest IN HIM!

The point of this is not to tell jacobs well that he's wrong in observing the Sabbath, he simply should not be judging those who don't observe the Sabbath.

I'm waiting on jacobs well to show me a clear command in the NT, after Christ goes to the cross, that tells us to observe the Sabbath...

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have it backwards. Paul's point is Jesus did the work of pleasing God and obeying His Law perfectly and therefore when a person is converted they rest in what Christ has already done. Notice the basis is having believed the gospel in verse 2, followed by the point that they (those who don't believe the gospel) had no faith. That is followed by the fact that we who believe HAVE entered into the rest Jesus provides for us when we become saved, as verse 3 says:
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, “As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest,” although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Notice that verse 3 ties it back t the rest of God from creation! Anyway you look at it, that's the Sabbath!

Prove that. Show one place in the NT, after the four gospels, that commands us to keep the Sabbath day.

The 10 commandments are never abolished...the ceremonial laws that required keeping the Sabbath day holy are, because Jesus gives us rest. When you come to Christ, HE IS YOUR SABBATH. To "remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy" is to remember Christ as the Holy One. This is the argument of the writer of Hebrews, that starts in chapter 3 and ends in Chapter 4. We enter sabbath rest in what Jesus has done!

Furthermore please look up the requirements of the Sabbath day, because I doubt if you even keep it properly according to the law concerning the Sabbath.

That's ridiculous! If what you say is true, why would Paul say that we are to let NO ONE judge us about Sabbath days and and feast days? Read it carefully...Colossians 2:16-17:

Look up that word "substance" please. The passage says Christ is THE SUBSTANCE of dietary laws, feast days, new moons, and Sabbath days.

What does that mean?

I dont quite follow your line of thinking-what exactly do you think as a Christian you should do on the seventh day of rest on the Sabbath. As NT Christians we no longer need to follow any ceremonial or ritual customs that OT religious leaders attached creating a bondage of the worst sort.

The Sabbath was so ingrained in the old Testament and the NT that it was never under any contention. And people did not constantly have to be repeatedly reminded. the NT shows the apostles and gentiles observing the Sabbath routinely. The Sabbath was never under attack it was the foundation of the law. Other commandments were not mentioned but were certainly still in force,

I think you are misunderstanding what Paul is saying to the Colossians in chapter 2.
Paul is actually countering a local heresy. In doing so he confirms and explains the value of God's Sabbaths and Holy days. He explains that they foreshadow " things to come "
false teachers were corrupting the Colossian Christians. Paul warns in verse 8 -" Beware lest anyone cheat you through through philosophy and empty deceit according to the tradition of men.
When Paul wrote " Let no man judge you in food....." he wasn't discussing what type of foods they should eat but rather to the act of eating-feasting-something the deceivers disdained for enjoyment.
Paul instructed the Colossian Christians not to be influenced by these false teachers' objections to eating, drinking, and rejoicing on Sabbaths, feast days, and new moons.
The Colossian deceivers had no authority to judge how the colossian were to observe God's Sabbath or holy day festivals.
there is nothing in this passage that God even suggests that He abolished His Sabbaths or Holy days.
Paul is condemning what the heretics are trying to influence onto the Colossian Christians, not the observances of Sabbaths and feast days.

Upvote 0

HebrewVaquero

Nov 22, 2015
✟828.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1) Rabbinic Judaism changed the Shabat before the Catholics (Read Maimonides).
2) There is a difference between a worship day and a rest day.
3) Early Christians kept both the rest day and the worship day.
4) There existed at the time of Christ, multiple calendars. (Just as today; civil, fiscal, Jewish and Islamic religious and civil calendars).
5) Under threat of persecution from the Roman Goverment resting on Saturday was outlawed.
6) The a Prophets predicted the Jews would lose their Sabbath, and they have.
7) There is a calendar from God that man cannot pervert, change or mess with, but few take it seriously because they are so out of touch being the product of a modern hi-tech world.

Upvote 0

HebrewVaquero

Nov 22, 2015
✟828.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As for Jesus "fulfilling" the Law:
Fulfilling = to teach correctly
Law = Torah = God's Instructions

Meaning:
Jesus taught the Instructions of God correctly.

(Not some crazy idea that since Jesus perfectly obeyed God's Instructions, it abolished God's Instructions to us)

Upvote 0