Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So, in heaven and the new earth, the defining thing is our close relationship with our creator. It is something we all want but if we were to be perfectly honest, it is not ALL that each of us wants, we all have other desires, and when I point out that I am sad about some things that I like being missing from the new earth, such as marriage, people always throw out that your desires will change, and no desire will be left unmet you'll be totally fulfilled.
But that calls into question what our relationship with God will be. I've heard it described that marriage is a poor mirror reflection of our relationship with God, Jesus is the bridegroom, we are the bride. But that seems off, like instantly. Obviously we're not going to have a sexually intimate relationship with Christ.
It is described in scripture as a child and parent relationship throughout the bible and that does make perfect sense, and it is also described as a servile relationship, where your purpose is to serve God, and that also makes perfect sense. It makes sense in ways that the bridgroom and bride relationship allegory does not make sense at all. I've never been married but unless I'm totally wrong, isn't it a relationship between approximate equal partners? Sure there is SOME deference to the husband, but in most things a husband and wife make decisions together, and it is a give and take relationship. Am I way off base with that analysis?
Our relationship with God doesn't seem comparable at all because we are in no way shape or form even close to being equal to God, and instead of being somewhat deferring to a husband's decisions but making many decisions jointly together, will we really make decisions jointly with God? That doesn't seem possible. It seems as if God would make all the decisions and we serve them, totally deferring to God, which is why a servile relationship ro parent child relationship made more sense...
But in parent and child relationships, and servile relationships, it is understood that the child has more desires and needs of their own other than to be in their parent's presence. The parent gives gifts to the child, the parent enrolls a child in education or clubs, or other activities that are not directly with them, that their child might learn things, and do enjoyable activities. It is also understood that the servant needs to be paid for their work, in more than their Master's company. A good master will make sure their servants have what they need and pay them for their work generously, so that they can buy what they need and what they want.
In the context of God, this would be like a mix of those two relationships, you are God's children, and you serve Him, and He rewards you for your work, like a good master to a faithful servant, with more than just 'hey you get to be around me and serve me, isn't that enough?', and like a good Father to a child, sometimes they get gifts that they want, even if they did nothing for it other than show appreciation for the gift and love their Father for it.
So both of those relationship comparisons make 100% sense, and I would be glad to have them with our Lord. The marriage one I just can't wrap my mind around, even disregarding that it's a male-male relationship which .. marriage doesn't work like that. There's such a vast difference in authority and power that I just can't see how marriage could be an indicator of how the relationship with God is at all.
However many Christians have this singular focus thing where they think that ALL you should want is God, not just God first other things after, but God only. Instead of a Father who gives His children gifts, the Father just stands there and says "you get to be my kids, isn't that enough?" instead of the Good Master who pays His servants well you serve Him and He tells you "you get to serve me, isn't that enough payment?". That's not a parent/child relationship, or a servile relationship, it is another kind of relationship altogether that captures this model...
the relationship between an owner and a dog.
A dog, desires very little other than to be around their owner, and has total love and affection and fear of their owner. Their human owner is greater than they are by an insurmountable level, and in some cases the dog will neglect their own needs, like food, to be with their owner even if their owner is homeless and penniless. The owner can control almost every aspect of the dog's life, they can spay or neuter them and prevent them from breeding. They can designate where they are allowed and not allowed to go, they choose what collar goes around their neck, and what food they eat. There is no expectation of payment for doing things for their owner. There is no expectation of gifts. The only expectation is the company of the master.
I fear this, I fear that our relationship with God is we are His pets, in scripture we are effectively spayed and neutered when we're on the new earth (Matthew 22:30), and that we serve, but can expect nothing but the company of our creator in return, and that that will be all we're allowed to want. It's like the free will goes away completely.
The only thing worse is no relationship with God at all to me.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But that calls into question what our relationship with God will be. I've heard it described that marriage is a poor mirror reflection of our relationship with God, Jesus is the bridegroom, we are the bride. But that seems off, like instantly. Obviously we're not going to have a sexually intimate relationship with Christ.

Not physically. But physically, sex is pretty sad now. There is a lot of room for improvement by removing our odd shaped bodies from the equation.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is described in scripture as a child and parent relationship throughout the bible and that does make perfect sense, and it is also described as a servile relationship, where your purpose is to serve God, and that also makes perfect sense.

The parent/child relationship is temporary because in our bodies, our knowledge is limited. In the Spirit, God will be our perfect communion partner.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The parent/child relationship is temporary because in our bodies, our knowledge is limited. In the Spirit, God will be our perfect communion partner.
But we're always going to be way way way below the Lord in Glory, knowledge, power, all that. So parent and child still makes sense, except maybe the children grow up and mature.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But we're always going to be way way way below the Lord in Glory, knowledge, power, all that. So parent and child still makes sense, except maybe the children grow up and mature.

In the Spirit realm we will come to full knowledge of ourselves
and our place with God. The mystery will be enlightened.

The parent-child situation is due to our seperation.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the Spirit realm we will come to full knowledge of ourselves
and our place with God. The mystery will be enlightened.

The parent-child situation is due to our seperation.
We're still not going to be equals. I mean mormons believe that but I don't.
also the "spirit realm" is only a temporary layover. Our final destination is in a new body, a physical, material body.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're still not going to be equals. I mean mormons believe that but I don't.
also the "spirit realm" is only a temporary layover. Our final destination is in a new body, a physical, material body.

No two people are equals. Lets say my dog meets me in the spirit world.
I will understand him better and he me. He's very cuddly and lovable.
But he remains an idiot. A lovable idiot. No two beings are equals except
unders God's love for us both.

For example, my dog likes to play fetch. When he remembers how to do it, we both enjoy it. But then he forgets how much fun it is and he drops the ball on the other side of the room and comes to me wagging his tale. He's been doing this for years. Then he forgets how to play it again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No two people are equals. Lets say my dog meets me in the spirit world.
I will understand him better and he me. He's very cuddly and lovable.
But he remains an idiot. A lovable idiot. No two beings are equals except
unders God's love for us both.

For example, my dog likes to play fetch. When he remembers how to do it, we both enjoy it. But then he forgets how much fun it is and he drops the ball on the other side of the room and comes to me wagging his tale. He's been doing this for years. Then he forgets how to play it again.
Last example I need is a pet comparison lol..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, in heaven and the new earth, the defining thing is our close relationship with our creator. It is something we all want but if we were to be perfectly honest, it is not ALL that each of us wants, we all have other desires, and when I point out that I am sad about some things that I like being missing from the new earth, such as marriage, people always throw out that your desires will change, and no desire will be left unmet you'll be totally fulfilled.
It is described in scripture as a child and parent relationship throughout the bible and that does make perfect sense, and it is also described as a servile relationship, where your purpose is to serve God, and that also makes perfect sense. It makes sense in ways that the bridgroom and bride relationship allegory does not make sense at all. I've never been married but unless I'm totally wrong, isn't it a relationship between approximate equal partners? Sure there is SOME deference to the husband, but in most things a husband and wife make decisions together, and it is a give and take relationship. Am I way off base with that analysis?
Our relationship with God doesn't seem comparable at all because we are in no way shape or form even close to being equal to God, and instead of being somewhat deferring to a husband's decisions but making many decisions jointly together, will we really make decisions jointly with God? That doesn't seem possible. It seems as if God would make all the decisions and we serve them, totally deferring to God, which is why a servile relationship ro parent child relationship made more sense...
But in parent and child relationships, and servile relationships, it is understood that the child has more desires and needs of their own other than to be in their parent's presence. The parent gives gifts to the child, the parent enrolls a child in education or clubs, or other activities that are not directly with them, that their child might learn things, and do enjoyable activities. It is also understood that the servant needs to be paid for their work, in more than their Master's company. A good master will make sure their servants have what they need and pay them for their work generously, so that they can buy what they need and what they want.
In the context of God, this would be like a mix of those two relationships, you are God's children, and you serve Him, and He rewards you for your work, like a good master to a faithful servant, with more than just 'hey you get to be around me and serve me, isn't that enough?', and like a good Father to a child, sometimes they get gifts that they want, even if they did nothing for it other than show appreciation for the gift and love their Father for it.
So both of those relationship comparisons make 100% sense, and I would be glad to have them with our Lord. The marriage one I just can't wrap my mind around, even disregarding that it's a male-male relationship which .. marriage doesn't work like that. There's such a vast difference in authority and power that I just can't see how marriage could be an indicator of how the relationship with God is at all.
However many Christians have this singular focus thing where they think that ALL you should want is God, not just God first other things after, but God only. Instead of a Father who gives His children gifts, the Father just stands there and says "you get to be my kids, isn't that enough?" instead of the Good Master who pays His servants well you serve Him and He tells you "you get to serve me, isn't that enough payment?". That's not a parent/child relationship, or a servile relationship, it is another kind of relationship altogether that captures this model...
A dog, desires very little other than to be around their owner, and has total love and affection and fear of their owner. Their human owner is greater than they are by an insurmountable level, and in some cases the dog will neglect their own needs, like food, to be with their owner even if their owner is homeless and penniless. The owner can control almost every aspect of the dog's life, they can spay or neuter them and prevent them from breeding. They can designate where they are allowed and not allowed to go, they choose what collar goes around their neck, and what food they eat. There is no expectation of payment for doing things for their owner. There is no expectation of gifts. The only expectation is the company of the master.
I fear this, I fear that our relationship with God is we are His pets, in scripture we are effectively spayed and neutered when we're on the new earth (Matthew 22:30), and that we serve, but can expect nothing but the company of our creator in return, and that that will be all we're allowed to want. It's like the free will goes away completely.

I fear that our relationship with God is we are His pets, in scripture we are effectively spayed and neutered when we're on the new earth (Matthew 22:30),

This is in error ....

Heaven (Gods kingdom) is currently located somewhere out in the cosmos. It is a separate place. When He returns and the 1st resurrection happens (of the saved) they are taken to His kingdom there (for 1,000 years) ... while there (in the heaven in the cosmos) ... there will be no marrying given in marriage and no pro-creation in His heaven in the cosmos (for the 1,000 years)

When God recreates the new heaven and earth He will move and establish the heavenly kingdom from the cosmos to earth it will be restored (ie Eden restored/populated with all the saved) to the condition it was BEFORE sin entered into the world. Everything on earth (in Genesis) was created in perfection from day one through day seven ... the new earth is re-created/restored to that condition ... perfect and will remain that way on the new earth throughout eternity.

We will eat, we will build houses, we will tend the garden (the earth), we will worship and fellowship with each other and with God, there will be animals, there will be marriage, there will be children ... everything as originally created in perfection will be there, including the created holy angels. All will dwell with God the creator for eternity.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our relationship is realized through His Holy spirit which is alive in all those who walk in the Spirit. This is the only way to understand the Bridgroom and Bride analogy.
On another note, Jewish idioms and hyperbole is not that easy to understand so further study on the history of marriage and the Church will become more clear. God made marriage sacred and binding so this example fits perfectly where as the Father , child analogy does not.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You pose many honest posers and questions.

All of them are clearly answered in the NT.

Church saints will not be involved in sexual activity- we will have no need. OPnce the rapture occurs all church saints will be glorified and perfected.

The survivors of the tribulation will all be believers. They will go into the renewed earth and will marry and have children and repopulate the earth!

But as far as personal desires go- The bible only says this:

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Everything else is pure speculation and we can be anywhere from 0 to 100% wrong!

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is in error ....

Heaven (Gods kingdom) is currently located somewhere out in the cosmos. It is a separate place. When He returns and the 1st resurrection happens (of the saved) they are taken to His kingdom there (for 1,000 years) ... while there (in the heaven in the cosmos) ... there will be no marrying given in marriage and no pro-creation in His heaven in the cosmos (for the 1,000 years)

When God recreates the new heaven and earth He will move and establish the heavenly kingdom from the cosmos to earth it will be restored (ie Eden restored/populated with all the saved) to the condition it was BEFORE sin entered into the world. Everything on earth (in Genesis) was created in perfection from day one through day seven ... the new earth is re-created/restored to that condition ... perfect and will remain that way on the new earth throughout eternity.

We will eat, we will build houses, we will tend the garden (the earth), we will worship and fellowship with each other and with God, there will be animals, there will be marriage, there will be children ... everything as originally created in perfection will be there, including the created holy angels. All will dwell with God the creator for eternity.
That is not what Jesus said. Jesus said that after the resurrection people will not marry.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You pose many honest posers and questions.

All of them are clearly answered in the NT.

Church saints will not be involved in sexual activity- we will have no need. OPnce the rapture occurs all church saints will be glorified and perfected.

The survivors of the tribulation will all be believers. They will go into the renewed earth and will marry and have children and repopulate the earth!

But as far as personal desires go- The bible only says this:

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Everything else is pure speculation and we can be anywhere from 0 to 100% wrong!
I agree that it's speculation that "your desires will change so that you will only want to be in God's presence", but that is what gets thrown at me a lot by Christians, and is a popular viewpoint from many Christians that the only thing we should want and will want is to be kneeling at God's feet for eternity.
In many of Jesus' parables in the gospels he does not point out a pet/master relationship, but rather a Father and Child relationship, and at times a Good Master and Faithful Servant relationship, always prefacing it with "The Kingdom of Heaven is like.." etc. It seems like He is trying to describe indirectly what the relationship with God is like in eternity. You will serve Him, but you will be rewarded for it, and sometimes you will get gifts you don't even deserve, but ask for.
Jesus never said your only reward is to look on God's face. But many a pastor and Christian has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the child or bride are only parables that tell something about the relationship. And I think it is also good to notice, the pride means, by what I know, the whole congregation, not single people.

Being a child means for example that we are born of God.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

And bride could mean for example that the congregation is God’s companion.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the child or bride are only parables that tell something about the relationship. And I think it is also good to notice, the pride means, by what I know, the whole congregation, not single people.

Being a child means for example that we are born of God.

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

And bride could mean for example that the congregation is God’s companion.
Jesus has a lot of Master and servant parables as well though. The parable of the vineyard with hired workers, the parable of the talents come to mind off the top of my head. Both are describing the kingdom of Heaven, and in most of the cases the relationship is described by Jesus as a give and take relationship, where God has the clear authority but is generous.
The pet relationship only comes from Pastors and Christians who interpret the reward as just being in God's presence entirely by itself.
Now mind you in every case where a person gets a gift or reward, the ultimate purpose of that reward or gift is the glorification of God. When a blind man is healed and Jesus returns his sight, he glorifies God. But the blind man still asked for something for himself, not just to stand in Jesus' presence the way many pastors and Christians claim to want.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is not what Jesus said. Jesus said that after the resurrection people will not marry.

"In the resurrection they neither marry; nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven" (Matt. 22:29, 30, KJV).

Children In Heaven Jesus said

Matt. 19:14 Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.
This passage tells us that children will be in heaven, He says, heaven belongs to them! This would include aborted infants and all who die too young to be morally accountable for sin.

When King David lost his son, even though that child was born from an illicit relationship with Bathsheba, he knew with certainty he would see his child in heaven:
2 Sam. 12:23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, [i.e., in heaven] but he will not return to me.

Children on the New Earth

Scripture contains several references to children on the new earth, but these two from Isaiah tell the story pretty well:
Is. 11:6 The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.
Is. 11:8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra…

Children on the new earth

For there to be children on the new earth and throughout eternity one of three things would have to take place: 1) Either, those entering heaven and inheriting the new earth as children would never mature—which seems very unlikely—or 2) God would create children whenever He wished, continually adding to the glorified human population without the participation of human parents—for which there is no Scriptural teaching, or 3) that glorified human parents would be able to conceive children.

There is nothing wrong with the union between a man and a woman. This union is part of Gods original human creation. There is also nothing wrong with sexual relationships in the confine of His original creation (union between a man and a woman) as God originally created them to be. It is sin that corrupts that union ... there will be no more sin on the new earth. NO SIN this is a HUGE HUGE difference.

Angelic beings were created (a different type of created being) and will remain angels. Not much information is given about angelic beings ... but we know they are different from us. Are they genderless? We don't know. We know they are not human.

In the bible angelic beings are always referred to in the masculine/male tense. Are we all going to be one gender? NO.

We were created human and will remain human but will be given immortality. Glorified, yes; without gender, no. Even the interpretation of the reference below that is so often used to teach that there will be no sexuality in heaven is entirely fallacious:

Matt. 22:30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

So what about that verse?

The point of Jesus’ teaching is that the act of two people getting married is an earth-bound practice that is eternally binding. There will not be marriage ceremonies in heaven, even as the angels have no marriage ceremonies. Unfortunately, many have understood Jesus to mean that angels are genderless and, therefore, people in heaven will be genderless as well. However, the passage clearly says nothing about gender. Jesus was reminding the Sadducees that the marriage covenant on earth is binding.

He created them (humans) male and female and after their own kind.

We will find out when we get there ... but ... I firmly believe all Gods creation BEFORE sin entered the world was perfect in every way and will one day again be along with many unknown wondrous things our minds can not even begin to imagine.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus has a lot of Master and servant parables as well though. The parable of the vineyard with hired workers, the parable of the talents come to mind off the top of my head. Both are describing the kingdom of Heaven, ....

Ok, the vineyard story tells that it doesn’t depend on service years what we get in the end. And the other story tells that if person uses well what he now has, he gets more, because has shown to be trustworthy, responsible and wise. There is no reason to give more to person who doesn’t use even the little that he has.

Upvote 0