Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's funny just 30 min ago got done watching that actor be a guest on Youtuber food reviewer rating the best burgers of Los Angeles with a few Lord of the Rings jokes and references thrown in.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We always hear that "the book was better than the movie." Somebody just said it to me, which prompted this question:

Are there any movies that were arguably better than the book?

I honestly can't think of one.
Any close though? :) I admit it's hard to think of many at all even close, imo.

So, if none, then how about the other way: what are some great novels that some tried to make a movie and even did a pretty good job on the movie, and still the movie just falls so far short anyway. That's an interesting category: great book, pretty great movie, and it's not even close.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

But that is just because of the amount of time or breadth to cover the topic, that is why I think trying to come up with high end TV series is cool and the way to go because you can do lots of stuff with character building and development, world building etc. So if you are going to compete with a large literary work that kind of is the way to go for a visual medium, because movies by nature have to be extremely streamlined and compressed.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say The Life of Pi. The movie was reasonable, but book (which I read later) a disappointment in comparison.
Interesting. I didn't see or read those, because I couldn't quite get interested in the situation of being on a boat with a tiger, but maybe the details make it more interesting than I imagined.

here's a clip I just found. Is this representative? I admit it was fun to watch:

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So, if none, then how about the other way: what are some great novels that some tried to make a movie and even did a pretty good job on the movie, and still the movie just falls so far short anyway. That's an interesting category: great book, pretty great movie, and it's not even close.

Close calls, where the book is great and the movie close, would be hard to call.

What about books that weren't great and neither were the movies? Left Behind ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
here's a clip I just found. Is this representative? I admit it was fun to watch:

It's been a while since I watched it now, but my main recollection is that the book dragged in comparison to the movie.

Part of the conceit - I hope this isn't spoiling anything for anyone - is that the tiger is a metaphor. And that's part of a much larger point the author is making through the character of Pi, which is actually interesting.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's been a while since I watched it now, but my main recollection is that the book dragged in comparison to the movie.

Part of the conceit - I hope this isn't spoiling anything for anyone - is that the tiger is a metaphor. And that's part of a much larger point the author is making through the character of Pi, which is actually interesting.
So, now I'm curious about the movie, and may have to see more.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I know! Books are better. I mean, they just are. I'd rather read a good novel most times over see a good movie.

But, here's another of those wonderful LOTR movie moments, where after Gandalf had gone missing (was just about destroyed fighting the Balrog), now he's there with Frodo....

Nice, right?

Yah, the Ents! That was really fun in the novels.
Not that it changes the point you were making, but... wasn't that scene after Gandalf failed to meet Frodo at the Prancing Pony, because he was 'detained' by Saruman?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Haha! my wife hated the books, because besides 'dragging' for so long, they were a constant drumbeat of doom doom doom doom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not that it changes the point you were making, but... wasn't that scene after Gandalf failed to meet Frodo at the Prancing Pony, because he was 'detained' by Saruman?
right! He doesn't have the white robe on there yet. Good catch. He'll be delayed in a more serious fashion yet later.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
right! He doesn't have the white robe on there yet. Good catch. He'll be delayed in a more serious fashion yet later.
Oh, right. We meant "delayed", not "detained", precioussss.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion and for whatever that's worth, Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle is some better than the book it's based on. The book isn't terrible, and if anything the story world is more intricate, but I like Howl and Sophie better in the movie version.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Shining
I got 1/2 way thru the book & grew bored, though really liked the first third. I haven't read a lot of Stephen King books but I generally find I like the movies a lot better. Horror just doesn't translate as well to the page.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Shining
I got 1/2 way thru the book & grew bored, though really liked the first third. I haven't read a lot of Stephen King books but I generally find I like the movies a lot better. Horror just doesn't translate as well to the page.

I think that's a helpful observation. There is something visceral about seeing it.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The Shining

I'm completely opposite. I read The Shining and Salem's Lot as a teenager and loved them both, but thought the movies, especially Salem's Lot, were really stupid in comparison. My claim is that horror doesn't translate as well from the page and then start going on about the wonders of Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft. :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A lot of the books you read in high school as required reading, I found I generally liked them a LOT better when they showed us the movie:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Of Mice & Men (I did like the book tho)
The Great Gatsby
Death of a Salesman
A Raisin in the Sun

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
The Great Gatsby

It's fascinating that these were all books I studied at school, too. I might have imagined more difference, given being in different countries etc.

Upvote 0