Not open for further replies.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Your opinions don't count for much.
Opinions don´t count for more just because they are claimed to be "objective".
Now, in your book, not even logic and intellectual honesty count for much, too. You already have demonstrated here how and why such "subjective" (i.e. human) values count for nothing when you feel that abandoning them helps a "greater good" or is commanded by God - so I conclude you and I have no common ground for a productive discussion.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Just", as in unethical and morally bankrupt.

Are there gods that are not godly?

Might makes right.

On what basis would they be judged, other than disbelief?

You will have answers to all of your questions very soon.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Opinions don´t count for more just because they are claimed to be "objective".
Now, in your book, not even logic and intellectual honesty count for much, too. You already have demonstrated here how and why such "subjective" (i.e. human) values count for nothing when you feel that abandoning them helps a "greater good" or is commanded by God - so I conclude you and I have no common ground for a productive discussion.

You have no basis for making moral judgments. And as I stated, your opinions don't count for much.

I just encourage you that if you are going to be wrong as you are, be consistently wrong. Don't flip flop.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
You have no basis for making moral judgments.
Well, I do have - but it just doesn´t happen to be the basis you would like there to be but which you can´t demonstrate.
That´s why I didn´t judge you morally. I just said you were being intellectually dishonest - a demonstrable fact. Whether that´s a good thing or a bad thing is, obviously, something we have different opinions about.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
What you have said helps reinforce my advice to Nicholas. You are right. We don't know what will ultimately happen as a result of our actions if all we have is our finite abilities to rely on.

But if we rely on God who sees and knows all to guide us through life, we can be sure that He, like the air traffic controller who sits high and looks low, knows what is best for all of us.

Without this guidance, we are left pretty much like you called it, hoping, guessing, wondering whether or not what we choose is the best choice. We have to walk through life never really knowing if we have made the right choices. We hope we have of course, but there is always that lingering thought, that shadow that follows us that reminds us that we are just doing what we can.

Not so for the one who follows God and is led by the Spirit of God.
Or one that is only under the illusion of such guidance.
Such a man can be bold as a lion and know that what he is doing is serving ends that he can only fathom and that will one day be woven into a most beautiful tapestry, the handiwork of a Holy, Almighty, and all knowing God.
Such a man can arrogantly crash through these forums with no idea of the image he is creating of his theology and his religion in general.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you had payed attention, you´d know that I have strong moral convictions. I just don´t mistake them for "non-human" convictions.

Then don´t pretend you are by asking me questions about my views.

Oh no doubt you do have moral convictions. No doubt. You just don't have any basis for them. That's all, and that is very interesting to say the least. They amount to nothing more than opinions which are fine, just not appropriate in an apologetics forum.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Or one that is only under the illusion of such guidance.

Such a man can arrogantly crash through these forums with no idea of the image he is creating of his theology and his religion in general.

I have no care for what you think or anyone else thinks. So far all I have been given are opinions. Which is fine.

But this is an apologetics forum where arguments, evidence, and reason are the required currency, not opinions.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Yahweh is omniscient and omnipotent. He could destroy cancer in its totality without sacrificing a single cell of healthy tissue. In fact, God does heal miraculously as He sees fit.
When did that happened, as a "fact"?

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In the computer software industry, there's a saying "Garbage in, Garbage out".
It means if you put in faulty data, you're going to get faulty results.

Moral values are based on your circumstances and circumstances are based on evolution and science.

You have 4 people on a spaceship but only enough oxygen for 3 people to reach your destination where your job is to save the lives of millions with a cure for a disease you're bringing.

The 4th person is terminally ill and will certainly die within a week after reaching the destination even if there was enough oxygen for all four to get there, but there's only enough oxygen for three.

Do you toss the fourth person out the air lock? Or do you allow them to live knowing you won't make it to the destination and others will also die?

The green line in my signature is always true and always has been. A persons beliefs would not change it.
You are making some assumptions that if you are an atheist, are not true. The biggest one is that you seem to care about 4 million humans. According to evolution there is nothing special about humans. Why should the four risk anything for those other humans in an objectively rational sense? Humans are just another animal no more, no less. Now it sounds like your view is just based on sentimentality for your own species, not on anything rationally objective. Only Christianity has a rational objective basis for morality and for infinite human worth to the point where the sick person would be willing to sacrifice themselves for the four million. Your green line signature has no rationally objective basis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Raping children is wrong.

1. That proposition is made true because it corresponds to an objective feature of reality independent of human opinion and preference.

2. That proposition is made true because it corresponds to a subjective opinion or preference of human beings.

3. That proposition is neither true nor false.

4. That proposition is meaningless.
Is it wrong to stand idly by, observing children being raped, and do nothing?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don´t answer loaded questions nor questions that are comprised of false dichotomies "yes" or "no".
You aren´t interested in my actual meta-ethical stance (which I have exhaustively and patiently explained to you countless times), you are merely interested in pushing through your script, with all the errors in it. You aren´t listening, you aren´t paying attention. In essence, you are talking to yourself.

It may be, his strongest motivation, is to convince himself.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I have no care for what you think or anyone else thinks.
Why then are you in this forum?
So far all I have been given are opinions. Which is fine.
I'm not the one making truth claims.
But this is an apologetics forum where arguments, evidence, and reason are the required currency, not opinions.
And you seem to be bankrupt in all those accounts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Oh no doubt you do have moral convictions. No doubt.
Well, you just said I don´t have them.
You just don't have any basis for them.
Why sure I do have a basis. I am just not claiming that I have a basis "independent of humans".
You don´t acknowledge my basis as valid, I don´t acknowledge your basis ("moral values independent of human opinion") valid.
On top of that, the fact that you can´t even demonstrate the existence of this alleged basis, is just another problem you need to solve.

That's all, and that is very interesting to say the least. They amount to nothing more than opinions which are fine, just not appropriate in an apologetics forum.
Well, as soon as you can demonstrate that
a. there are moral facts "independent of human opinion", and
b. that your opinions happen to be congruent with them,
you don´t have anything ahead of me in such a discussion, by your own standards.
Just like me, you give your opinions, and the only difference is that you have the guts to claim them to be somewhat "objective = facts, independent of human opinion".

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if you had payed attention, you´d know that I have strong moral convictions. I just don´t mistake them for "non-human" convictions.

Then don´t pretend you are by asking me questions about my views.

His attention span, appears quite limited.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Saying God stayed His judgment of a people for 500 years is not analogous with saying God did nothing to or for them for 500 years. You know that.
Did he provide them with compelling evidence for his existence?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.