✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
[rant]

Honestly, when it comes to some YEC's arguing their case for a young earth, it's as if all logic and reasoning is discarded, in their zeal to defend an undefendable interpretation of scripture. I have a lot more respect for those who just say that they believe the earth is young because that's the way they were taught from the Bible and their church, and leave it at that.

But the more I read these threads, the more disgusted I get with all the circular reasoning, tap-dancing, deceptive tactics, half-truths, and evasiveness of so-called Christians.

The moon is made of cheese.

That's my religious belief. Therefore, it should be taught in schools along side scientific descriptions of the moon, and let the children decide for themselves.

That's what we're dealing with, folks. It's pathetic and sad.

[/rant]

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TheBear said:
[rant]

Honestly, when it comes to some YEC's arguing their case for a young earth, it's as if all logic and reasoning is discarded, in their zeal to defend an undefendable interpretation of scripture. I have a lot more respect for those who just say that they believe the earth is young because that's the way they were taught from the Bible and their church, and leave it at that.

But the more I read these threads, the more disgusted I get with all the circular reasoning, tap-dancing, deceptive tactics, half-truths, and evasiveness of so-called Christians.

The moon is made of cheese.

That's my religious belief. Therefore, it should be taught in schools along side scientific descriptions of the moon, and let the children decide for themselves.

That's what we're dealing with, folks. It's pathetic and sad.

[/rant]

How long has this idea been taught? Who believed it originally? Does this people still exist? Does the literature that advocates this contain prophetic information that has come to pass? Has research demonstrated that this literature that promotes a moon of cheese is reliable in any other areas, such as historic and geographic? Is there contemporary literature the substantiates any of the claims? Shall we continue, as to logically why your "religious" claim is not of the caliber of the Holy Bible and Christianity?
What about the characteristics of those that hold to your "faith?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ozymandius

May 15, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Atheist
LittleNipper said:
How long has this idea been taught? Who believed it originally? Does this people still exist? Does the literature that advocates this contain prophetic information that has come to pass? Has research demonstrated that this literature that promotes a moon of cheese is reliable in any other areas, such as historic and geographic? Is there contemporary literature the substantiates any of the claims? Shall we continue, as to logically why your "religious" claim is not of the caliber of the Holy Bible and Christianity?

The green cheese theory is quite reliable. It describes a spherical object in orbit several hundred thousand miles from the planet, and is therefore true in all respects.

The bible is a lame copy of an older mythology and hasn't been corroborated by anything.

Upvote 0

neverforsaken

Proud American now and always
Jan 18, 2005
Hawaii
✟3,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i think that even with those who support evolution like me know that evolution is a theory and therefore has questions that are unanswered. i am not for the teaching of creationism is school, but i am also not for the "end all be all" preaching of evolution in schools. when i was in school i was taught evolution as a part of science like everyone else. but not once did the text mention the issues currently unexplained by evolutionary theory. now, i dont believe that just because something is not currently explainable that it makes the idea false, but science is the collection of facts and facts include admitting what hasnt been explained. But my teacher presented evolution not as a theory but as an entity more resembling an infallible god. And it is that which i do not like. not the teaching of it in itself.

Upvote 0

tocis

Warrior of Thor
Jul 29, 2004
Northern Germany
✟10,966.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
TheBear said:
Honestly, when it comes to some YEC's arguing their case for a young earth, it's as if all logic and reasoning is discarded, in their zeal to defend an undefendable interpretation of scripture.

"As if"?
From literally all the experience I have gathered about the creationist nonsense, I conclude that it is like you suppose above. Forget the "as if". :help:

TheBear said:
I have a lot more respect for those who just say that they believe the earth is young because that's the way they were taught from the Bible and their church, and leave it at that.

Sad that there are so very few of them, no? Spontaneously, I only remember one single person in two years of battle against creationist dishonesty who openly said "Yup, I don't have evidence for creationism. I believe it on faith, others are free to disagree, period". A very kind person, that one. We need more of those! ;)

Upvote 0

Ozymandius

May 15, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Atheist
neverforsaken said:
i think that even with those who support evolution like me know that evolution is a theory and therefore has questions that are unanswered. i am not for the teaching of creationism is school, but i am also not for the "end all be all" preaching of evolution in schools. when i was in school i was taught evolution as a part of science like everyone else. but not once did the text mention the issues currently unexplained by evolutionary theory. now, i dont believe that just because something is not currently explainable that it makes the idea false, but science is the collection of facts and facts include what hasnt been explained. But my teacher presented evolution not as a theory but as an entity more resembling an infallible god. And it is that which i do not like. not the teaching of it in itself.

Explain how it was presented as an infallible fact? I think I see where you're going with this, and I want to say that gravity was explained to me as an "infallible fact" in high school, and I didn't complain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nymphalidae

Jun 16, 2005
not telling
✟9,913.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LittleNipper said:

The moon doesn't shave and therefore must be made of cheese.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
tocis said:
I only remember one single person in two years of battle against creationist dishonesty who openly said "Yup, I don't have evidence for creationism. I believe it on faith, others are free to disagree, period". A very kind person, that one. We need more of those! ;)

I remember him too. ;)

Honesty and integrity far outweigh getting it right, in my book.

Upvote 0

z3ro

Veteran
Jun 30, 2004
chicago
✟17,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
neverforsaken said:
i think that even with those who support evolution like me know that evolution is a theory and therefore has questions that are unanswered. i am not for the teaching of creationism is school, but i am also not for the "end all be all" preaching of evolution in schools. when i was in school i was taught evolution as a part of science like everyone else. but not once did the text mention the issues currently unexplained by evolutionary theory. now, i dont believe that just because something is not currently explainable that it makes the idea false, but science is the collection of facts and facts include admitting what hasnt been explained. But my teacher presented evolution not as a theory but as an entity more resembling an infallible god. And it is that which i do not like. not the teaching of it in itself.

How, exactly, should we teach kids what we don't know?

Upvote 0

neverforsaken

Proud American now and always
Jan 18, 2005
Hawaii
✟3,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
z3ro said:
How, exactly, should we teach kids what we don't know?
no, what i meant was that we should explain that there are questions that are currently unanswered. an examply being with the big bang. all the matter was compressed into a single point and exploded in a big bang. but what we dont know is where the matter came from in the first place. it doesnt make the theory "wrong" but it does mean that there is a question that isnt answered. thats all im saying. Since it is a theory shouldnt the facts as well as the flaws in the theory be explored as well? the problem with common creationist arguments is that when something cant be explained by science they think it means that creationism is right by default. but that is not what i am suggesting. i am suggesting the whole story. speak of the facts of evolution that have been proven, but point to the current imperfection of the theory and stop treating it like it is perfect.

Upvote 0