Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nb. I don't think the below is exclusive to scientific/unscientific thinking. More generally anyone can have this tendency to think that expertise in one area means that their opinions on some other, unrelated, area are valid, despite any lack of knowledge of that other field, topic etc.

That said, like most people I don't have scientific training, and it's important to recognise that is a 'thing' when it comes to interpreting scientific data; I don't have the requisite skills. There are two choices, it seems, in this situation. Someone like me can trust scientists to apply their training and come to some degree of consensus. There are procedures for this. The other is just to believe something on the basis of - well, what exactly? Whatever random combination of subjective influences might guide me to think one thing seems more legit than another. Of course scientists get things wrong, disagree etc sometimes, but as with accusations of 'fake news', the impression that science isn't generally reliable relies on a small number of errors in contrast to a much larger degree of useful and practical consensus. Because scientists working in different fields are not infallible or omniscient is no reason to believe that some set of random subjective notions is a superior way to arrive at an understanding of a given (scientific) topic. Just how deeply entrenched this idea is however can be seen in the fact that the US now has an elected president who is the epitome of this kind of delusional thinking.

What I'm interested in discussing is: what drives it? What is behind the idea that not knowing is somehow superior to knowing? I tend to think it might be a fear response of some sort, an unrealistic need for a direct link to absolute certainty when none is available, a desire to shortcut the reality of multiple uncertainties in order to achieve some sense of being grounded or secure. Maybe, as with Trump, it defends some inner need to appear to be knowledgeable and in control, without having to put in the effort required to actually be knowledgeable. Maybe it's just a way of attacking the 'elites' people feel, often with good reason - of course other people doing complex jobs that affect a lot of people's lives are regularly going to upset people - have let them down or misled them, which is sometimes true, sometimes not. I don't really know, but it does seem to be something of that sort. Maybe it is a failure of education systems more concerned with churning out more cogs for the machine than with teaching people how to self-actualise. Anyway I am hoping this will lead to a useful discussion.

Why is it a problem? This article in New Scientist is informative:

If there's a paywall here are some key parts:

'in the race to understand the coronavirus, and amid the cacophony of political messages, inexpert journalists and viral social media messages, a parallel pandemic has emerged – one of rumours, unverified claims and malicious falsehoods.

Preprint servers enable information to “flow directly from people who are making scientific claims to users who don’t have the savvy to evaluate those claims”, says Jonathan Kimmelman, a biomedical ethicist at McGill University in Canada.

...people who wouldn’t normally be interested in biomedical preprints, and don’t necessarily understand or care about their limitations, have started reading and sharing them. That includes politicians, policy-makers, journalists, bloggers, social media influencers, armchair pandemic warriors, political agitators and conspiracy theorists. “When you mix the science with all that social and media reverberation, you get an explosive mix, and that creates havoc,”

The much-touted antimalaria drug hydroxychloroquine is a good example of the system going badly wrong. A preprint about the drug’s efficacy against covid-19 in a small clinical trial appeared on 20 March (medRxiv, doi.org/dp7d). The trial was poorly conducted, says Alfred Kim at Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, Missouri, who wrote a critique of it in the Annals of Internal Medicine (doi.org/ggq8b4). Among other issues, the trial had a sample size of just 20 people (see “How to sniff out the good science studies from the bad”).

A second preprint by different researchers detailing methodological flaws in the trial appeared three days later (Zenodo, doi.org/dtsn).

“Any medical study with fewer than 50 participants should be treated as highly tentative”

Nonetheless, says Kim, the trial’s findings were picked up and amplified by the press, social media and many government and institutional leaders, including US president Donald Trump, who famously called the drug a “game changer”. Public interest exploded.'

“There was striking dissimilarity between what they said they were going to do in that study and what was actually reported.” A diligent peer reviewer might have picked this up, he says, but somebody who isn’t an expert in the methodology of clinical trials has little chance of doing so.

This shows just how difficult it is for even skilled journalists to pick up pretty glaring errors in research reports, says Kimmelman, who adds that even trained doctors are rarely equipped to do so.

Another issue is experts in one field turning their hand to another. In March, for example, an electrical engineer and a cardiologist posted a preprint estimating that the UK could experience just 5700 covid-19 deaths (medRxiv, doi.org/dtss). Several UK newspapers gave the estimate prominent coverage. The UK’s confirmed death toll currently stands at over 28,000.

Kimmelman believes there is a wider societal issue. “I think this is part of a much broader problem of how information flows in contemporary societies, particularly around expertise. We’ve seen parallel issues in politics and democracy – fake news, false claims, etc.,”

Read more: How the covid-19 pandemic has led to a flood of misleading science

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The remedy is not to stop the information flow.

Only to give each other a far more solid grounding in how to evaluate political showmanship (including the non-showy kind), along with genuine hypotheses on which the jury must genuinely stay out.

What are statistics designed to tell us and is this the same that is implied on any occasion?

And all subtle pressuring, false dichotomies, package dealing, rationing, dripfeeding.

Lead a Twitter free life and then read extensively about the many things science really consists of.

We've to stand up for ourselves and each other, mind and body.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nb. I don't think the below is exclusive to scientific/unscientific thinking. More generally anyone can have this tendency to think that expertise in one area means that their opinions on some other, unrelated, area are valid, despite any lack of knowledge of that other field, topic etc.

That said, like most people I don't have scientific training, and it's important to recognise that is a 'thing' when it comes to interpreting scientific data; I don't have the requisite skills. There are two choices, it seems, in this situation. Someone like me can trust scientists to apply their training and come to some degree of consensus. There are procedures for this. The other is just to believe something on the basis of - well, what exactly? Whatever random combination of subjective influences might guide me to think one thing seems more legit than another. Of course scientists get things wrong, disagree etc sometimes, but as with accusations of 'fake news', the impression that science isn't generally reliable relies on a small number of errors in contrast to a much larger degree of useful and practical consensus. Because scientists working in different fields are not infallible or omniscient is no reason to believe that some set of random subjective notions is a superior way to arrive at an understanding of a given (scientific) topic. Just how deeply entrenched this idea is however can be seen in the fact that the US now has an elected president who is the epitome of this kind of delusional thinking.

What I'm interested in discussing is: what drives it? What is behind the idea that not knowing is somehow superior to knowing? I tend to think it might be a fear response of some sort, an unrealistic need for a direct link to absolute certainty when none is available, a desire to shortcut the reality of multiple uncertainties in order to achieve some sense of being grounded or secure. Maybe, as with Trump, it defends some inner need to appear to be knowledgeable and in control, without having to put in the effort required to actually be knowledgeable. Maybe it's just a way of attacking the 'elites' people feel, often with good reason - of course other people doing complex jobs that affect a lot of people's lives are regularly going to upset people - have let them down or misled them, which is sometimes true, sometimes not. I don't really know, but it does seem to be something of that sort. Maybe it is a failure of education systems more concerned with churning out more cogs for the machine than with teaching people how to self-actualise. Anyway I am hoping this will lead to a useful discussion.

Why is it a problem? This article in New Scientist is informative:

If there's a paywall here are some key parts:

'in the race to understand the coronavirus, and amid the cacophony of political messages, inexpert journalists and viral social media messages, a parallel pandemic has emerged – one of rumours, unverified claims and malicious falsehoods.

Preprint servers enable information to “flow directly from people who are making scientific claims to users who don’t have the savvy to evaluate those claims”, says Jonathan Kimmelman, a biomedical ethicist at McGill University in Canada.

...people who wouldn’t normally be interested in biomedical preprints, and don’t necessarily understand or care about their limitations, have started reading and sharing them. That includes politicians, policy-makers, journalists, bloggers, social media influencers, armchair pandemic warriors, political agitators and conspiracy theorists. “When you mix the science with all that social and media reverberation, you get an explosive mix, and that creates havoc,”

The much-touted antimalaria drug hydroxychloroquine is a good example of the system going badly wrong. A preprint about the drug’s efficacy against covid-19 in a small clinical trial appeared on 20 March (medRxiv, doi.org/dp7d). The trial was poorly conducted, says Alfred Kim at Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, Missouri, who wrote a critique of it in the Annals of Internal Medicine (doi.org/ggq8b4). Among other issues, the trial had a sample size of just 20 people (see “How to sniff out the good science studies from the bad”).

A second preprint by different researchers detailing methodological flaws in the trial appeared three days later (Zenodo, doi.org/dtsn).

“Any medical study with fewer than 50 participants should be treated as highly tentative”

Nonetheless, says Kim, the trial’s findings were picked up and amplified by the press, social media and many government and institutional leaders, including US president Donald Trump, who famously called the drug a “game changer”. Public interest exploded.'

“There was striking dissimilarity between what they said they were going to do in that study and what was actually reported.” A diligent peer reviewer might have picked this up, he says, but somebody who isn’t an expert in the methodology of clinical trials has little chance of doing so.

This shows just how difficult it is for even skilled journalists to pick up pretty glaring errors in research reports, says Kimmelman, who adds that even trained doctors are rarely equipped to do so.

Another issue is experts in one field turning their hand to another. In March, for example, an electrical engineer and a cardiologist posted a preprint estimating that the UK could experience just 5700 covid-19 deaths (medRxiv, doi.org/dtss). Several UK newspapers gave the estimate prominent coverage. The UK’s confirmed death toll currently stands at over 28,000.

Kimmelman believes there is a wider societal issue. “I think this is part of a much broader problem of how information flows in contemporary societies, particularly around expertise. We’ve seen parallel issues in politics and democracy – fake news, false claims, etc.,”

Read more: How the covid-19 pandemic has led to a flood of misleading science
interesting questions but I cannot help thinking that your article would have been just as good without any mention of Trump. Causes me to think about the need for a article that asks why it seems to be necessary for some to be disrespectful to the President. Is it a liberal requirement or brand or is it that same urge some people have to jump into a fight and beat on someone who is already being punched and kicked? Whatever it is it happens far too often for some of us who respect our nation and our president, regardless of who that might be.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I get the impression some people were fed up with someone that tries to push buttons.

But it's for Christians to ask God to give their nation just government through whoever is in government regardless of their mannerisms or apparent character.

And not to package deal, and not to assume an enemy's enemy is our friend.

The B-man, Biden, has been the biggest supporter of Red PRC for decades.

And not to join in manoeuvring. Or micromanaging God as if He needs mind-numbing "political briefings".

The way Christians survived over centuries is by asking God to jog rulers' elbows right. Whether the rulers knew it or not. Don't try to outcomplicate God!

And beg God to providentially improve the quality of education (in the wider sense) of your neighbour. Perhaps when charity shops reopen there will be lots of sensible books. Maybe someone is about to post a sensible article on the internet.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
interesting questions but I cannot help thinking that your article would have been just as good without any mention of Trump. Causes me to think about the need for a article that asks why it seems to be necessary for some to be disrespectful to the President. Is it a liberal requirement or brand or is it that same urge some people have to jump into a fight and beat on someone who is already being punched and kicked? Whatever it is it happens far too often for some of us who respect our nation and our president, regardless of who that might be.

To me it’s an important question - what happens in the US has an affect on the rest of the world, and how someone like Trump got to be in charge for me at least is a valid question. A Trump presidency brings this whole question of the use and misuse of information into sharp focus, as the spreading of misinformation had been one of the dominant characteristics of Trump’s term in the WH so far. For me understanding that is key to understanding the rest of the question, so it’s all part of what the OP is about.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Just how deeply entrenched this idea is however can be seen in the fact that the US now has an elected president who is the epitome of this kind of delusional thinking.

Nonsense. Trump promised to make America great again when it came to the economy and HE DELIVERED! America had the lowest unemployment levels in 5o years before the virus so why was that such a horrible decision by those who elected him?

What I'm interested in discussing is: what drives it? What is behind the idea that not knowing is somehow superior to knowing?

The question knocks back on your door. What drives your not knowing what I shared above? You certainly can't deny it wasn't true.

Maybe, as with Trump, it defends some inner need to appear to be knowledgeable and in control, without having to put in the effort required to actually be knowledgeable.

And much appreciated Tom if you'd put forth some effort required to actually be knowledgeable. You missed it in your stereotype assessment of how Trump supporters think.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me it’s an important question - what happens in the US has an affect on the rest of the world, and how someone like Trump got to be in charge for me at least is a valid question. A Trump presidency brings this whole question of the use and misuse of information into sharp focus, as the spreading of misinformation had been one of the dominant characteristics of Trump’s term in the WH so far. For me understanding that is key to understanding the rest of the question, so it’s all part of what the OP is about.
You OP seems to relate more to epistemology. But this post seems to relate to how Trump became president. Several very long books could be written on that subject because there is no simple answer. I could be wrong but wouldn't you be more interested in how the msm contributed to Trump becoming president and what they have tried to do about it?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... A Trump presidency brings this whole question of the use and misuse of information into sharp focus, as the spreading of misinformation had been one of the dominant characteristics of Trump’s term in the WH so far. For me understanding that is key to understanding the rest of the question, so it’s all part of what the OP is about.

The point is, misinformation began long before 2016. (Rather a lot of it gets manufactured in the UK. Surely you know the meaning of "USSR"?) What do you, as an optimist, based outside either the US or the UK, think of my posts 2 and 4?

Hence, what you have identified is only a very small part. Don't leave out all the other parts. If you claim to not like the dumbing-down system, just don't melodramatically copy it. As a Christian we should repent of lazy thinking.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Consolation

May 2, 2020
Tasmania
✟8,742.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Tom 1,

You raise some interesting questions.

As a conservative Christian, I do wonder what happened in America when they elected Donald Trump. Whilst I'm not like some conservatives I know who think Trump is the anti-Christ I do think that he has developed a type of Personality Cult following and that if Trump is re-elected it is the beginning of the end of America’s dominance and the beginning of their fall. However, I'm confident that he will not be re-elected again and America will stabilise and regain its former greatness.

Blessings To You.......Consolation
“Of all the bad men, religious bad men are the worst.”
— C.S. Lewis “Reflections on the Psalms” (1964)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Tom 1,

You raise some interesting questions.

As a conservative Christian, I do wonder what happened in America when they elected Donald Trump. Whilst I'm not like some conservatives I know who think Trump is the anti-Christ I do think that he has developed a type of Personality Cult following and that if Trump is re-elected it is the beginning of the end of America’s dominance and the beginning of their fall. However, I'm confident that he will not be re-elected again and America will stabilise and regain its former greatness.

Blessings To You.......Consolation
“Of all the bad men, religious bad men are the worst.”
— C.S. Lewis “Reflections on the Psalms” (1964)
Well I hope you are better informed on the politics in your country than you are on ours. The Democrats who oppose Trump would be quick to tell you that America was never that great in fact both Cuomo and Buttigieg said exactly that. Their dream is a socialist nation that becomes part of the one world government. Trump on the other hand was well on his way to making America great again until Covid 19. I have every confidence that in his next term, and he will get a next term, he will continue to make America a strong economic and military power respected around the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense. Trump promised to make America great again when it came to the economy and HE DELIVERED! America had the lowest unemployment levels in 5o years before the virus so why was that such a horrible decision by those who elected him?

The question knocks back on your door. What drives your not knowing what I shared above? You certainly can't deny it wasn't true.

And much appreciated Tom if you'd put forth some effort required to actually be knowledgeable. You missed it in your stereotype assessment of how Trump supporters think.

Trump is an example, that isn't to say anyone who supports him thinks in the same way, I think that's reading too much into the post. I'm not so sure about Trump and what will eventually be the result, regarding the economy he certainly shook things up a bit - riding on around 10 years of slow but steady growth he injected some adrenaline that has certainly produced some effects. While I'm not an economist, I think it is fairly safe to say that boom economics tends to lead to a bust sooner or later, and when the dust settles it is usually only a very few at the top who reap any lasting benefits. Maybe this boom would have been different, maybe not. What I mean though is not the overall results of his being president, but his tendency to push phony ideas and pseudo-science etc, the whole 'fake news' rallying cry and so on. That doesn't necessarily mean that he is bad for the US or for the world, in itself, in any and every way, but it is still a reality, and it's the reality the op is about, not an overall assessment of Trump's presidency or of anyone who voted for him. The newspaper Human Events for example makes some cogent pro-Trump arguments, but none of that changes the fact that he pushes misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You OP seems to relate more to epistemology. But this post seems to relate to how Trump became president. Several very long books could be written on that subject because there is no simple answer. I could be wrong but wouldn't you be more interested in how the msm contributed to Trump becoming president and what they have tried to do about it?

True yes but Trump is just mentioned in the OP as the example of someone in a position of power who has this tendency, it's not an overall comment on other things to do with that. He is the world's most listened to purveyor of dodgy ideas.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hence, what you have identified is only a very small part.

The post is about the way of thinking behind the effectiveness of misinformation in general. If you mean the mention of Trump, he is in there as an example, but it's the general reasons for it that the OP is about. I'm interesting in hearing what people think about the whole phenomenon, as at the beginning of the third paragraph:
What I'm interested in discussing is: what drives it?

That's what I'm curious about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Consolation

May 2, 2020
Tasmania
✟8,742.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Well I hope you are better informed on the politics in your country than you are on ours."
These personal attacks where do they get you?

I am well informed on American politics and take offence at your attempt to discredit me as otherwise.

Have you not read the requests on by the moderators here to be more civil. I thought you claimed to be a Christian?

"Love is not rude."
However, you certainly are.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You missed it in your stereotype assessment of how Trump supporters think.

It’s a comment on the things Trump says, not about how Trump supporters think. I voted for Tony Blair back whenever that was, that doesn’t mean he didn’t mislead the nation about WMD in Iraq.

• Informative
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Well I hope you are better informed on the politics in your country than you are on ours."
These personal attacks where do they get you?

I am well informed on American politics and take offence at your attempt to discredit me as otherwise.

Have you not read the requests on by the moderators here to be more civil. I thought you claimed to be a Christian?

"Love is not rude."
However, you certainly are.
You are quite right I have no knowledge of your knowledge I can only form an opinion based on your post which is a very limited exposure to what you know or do not know. Your conclusions caused me to believe that you had an incorrect view of what the results of a dem president would do for our country. My apologizes, No disrespect was intended. I do not however believe that you are justified in questioning my Christianity nor is it Christian like to do so.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Consolation

May 2, 2020
Tasmania
✟8,742.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The Democrats who oppose Trump would be quick to tell you that America was never that great in fact both Cuomo and Buttigieg said exactly that."

You will need to cite a credible source, taken in context, to prove that.

"Their dream is a socialist nation that becomes part of the one world government."

Scripture says "Thou shalt not lie." You are spreading false and defamatory conspiracy theories and your credibility is now nil.

"Trump on the other hand was well on his way to making America great again until Covid 19."

Not true. The upward projectory has continued from Obama.

"But a closer look at the Trump economy reveals a conflicting portrait – though it was certainly not in a poor state after the president’s 2017 inauguration. The unemployment rate is ticking downward, and job growth is holding steady – but Trump’s ongoing trade wars sapped business confidence. Companies have pulled back on hiring workers as a result.

Here are nine charts tracking the highs and lows of the Trump, Obama, and Bush economies on key indicators like gross domestic product, unemployment, wages, and the federal debt. As you can see, they paint a mixed picture around Trump’s bold claims..."

Source: Trump boasts the US economy is the best it's ever been under his watch. Here are 9 charts showing how it compares to the Obama and Bush presidencies.

"I have every confidence that in his next term, and he will get a next term, he will continue to make America a strong economic and military power respected around the world."

A quick Google search would reveal this to be untrue.

US's global reputation hits rock-bottom over Trump's coronavirus response
International relations expert warns policy failure could do lasting damage as president insults allies and undermines alliances
Source: US's global reputation hits rock-bottom over Trump's coronavirus response

Upvote 0

Consolation

May 2, 2020
Tasmania
✟8,742.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"No disrespect was intended."

Yes, it was.

"I do not however believe that you are justified in questioning my Christianity nor is it Christian like to do so."

Christ said "Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

I find you offensive and have every right to judge you accordingly

Upvote 0